HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

I will add my voice to those who did not get any notice (email) from HAL. If not for Cruise Critic, we would be unaware of the "changes"... I noticed from an entry above that the changes will not apply to the S-class ships and, of course, our next reservation is on the Veendam.

To further add to my rant, we also just got a BLAST email from HAL to change our departure port for an April cruise. The email addresses for a ton of people were in the TO: line so we can now freely communicate with each other. In fact, I already got an unsolicited email from one of them... I am a little disappointed in HAL for this past week of events...

I look forward to the next BIG announcement now that I know about the drinking game...

I will add my voice to those who did not get any notice (email) from HAL. If not for Cruise Critic, we would be unaware of the "changes"... I noticed from an entry above that the changes will not apply to the S-class ships and, of course, our next reservation is on the Veendam.

To further add to my rant, we also just got a BLAST email from HAL to change our departure port for an April cruise. The email addresses for a ton of people were in the TO: line so we can now freely communicate with each other. In fact, I already got an unsolicited email from one of them... I am a little disappointed in HAL for this past week of events...

I look forward to the next BIG announcement now that I know about the drinking game...

There are easy ways to send blast emails without disclosing each recipient's email address. If HAL has disclosed peoples' addresses this way I would consider that a serious breach of trust and something that would be actionable. And we didn't get the "announcement" email either. Based on what's been discussed in this thread, it would seem to be serious Keystone Kops time at HAL.

I got the e-mail. It told me that Mr. Ashford wanted loyal Mariners to be the First to know about the new enhancements!!! Only about 36 hrs after the rest of the world found out! I'm feeling really special right now after that e-mail NOT!

If you (Mr. Ashford) wanted me to be one of the first to know you should have sent the e-mail on Wednesday for the big announcement on Thursday not on the Friday after!!!

Ummmmmmmmmmmm I didn't get it LOL

I got a call about being in a focus group for HAL, but it was for a day I couldn't get off work (and as I told the woman, I try not to drive into Seattle unless absolutely necessary). It's interesting to hear what it was about though. I wonder if all of the focus groups were held in Seattle, limiting the participants to local HAL cruisers?

The focus group I attended was in Denver

There are easy ways to send blast emails without disclosing each recipient's email address. If HAL has disclosed peoples' addresses this way I would consider that a serious breach of trust and something that would be actionable. And we didn't get the "announcement" email either. Based on what's been discussed in this thread, it would seem to be serious Keystone Kops time at HAL.

I don't think it's actionable, but it's creepy and upsetting. Cunard had a worse one about 4 years ago. They sent out a routine pre-cruise email and somehow attached a list of people on that cruise AND their booking numbers. They had to lock down their voyage personalizer system for a few days while they gave us all new reservation numbers. It took me more than a week of calling Cunard to get all the bits and pieces of my trip put back together properly. As far as I know, nobody sued them. But there were a lot of VERY upset passengers.

As for this instance of a tech error, as I said on another thread, it's ironic considering how tech-savvy HAL is trying to look, and given how much of Ashford's background has the word "technology" in it.

I've been thinking about these new wonderful partnerships, and I realized that the audience they're supposed to serve--younger tech-savvy (tech-dependent?) people--isn't going to use these website enhancements unless they go to HAL's website. So what's going to get them there?

Most of us here know what we want and do our own research. And we're aware of HAL. But HAL has to do some serious advertising to get the attention of this new crowd of cruisers. Nowhere in yesterday's event did anyone say "Look for our new ad campaign."

I've been thinking about these new wonderful partnerships, and I realized that the audience they're supposed to serve--younger tech-savvy (tech-dependent?) people--isn't going to use these website enhancements unless they go to HAL's website. So what's going to get them there?

Most of us here know what we want and do our own research. And we're aware of HAL. But HAL has to do some serious advertising to get the attention of this new crowd of cruisers. Nowhere in yesterday's event did anyone say "Look for our new ad campaign."

Good point. In my experience of remodeling/refreshing supermarkets, we always did something to the exterior of the store along with a major interior redo. That way people driving by who may never have gone into the store to experience the changes would be more likely to "check it out".

It is very amateurish not to send a group email Bcc. And a security issue. A corporation should know better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

It is very amateurish not to send a group email Bcc. And a security issue. A corporation should know better.

A corporation should indeed know better but not this one. This is a corporation that invited people to a press conference where they unveiled their new logo and then proceeded to give departing attendees a bunch of goodies and press releases on letterhead with the old logo in a bag depicting the old logo :rolleyes:

Just wondering if these "enhancements" will replace the Location Guides and Guest Lecturers who give presentations on at least the longer voyages.

Ashford was asked about "enrichment program" and he said the new things would "enhance" them not replace them. But without specifics, that answer could mean anything.

A corporation should indeed know better but not this one. This is a corporation that invited people to a press conference where they unveiled their new logo and then proceeded to give departing attendees a bunch of goodies and press releases on letterhead with the old logo in a bag depicting the old logo :rolleyes:

Same bag they give on board. Maybe they're looking to deplete old stock before the new ones come into use.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

You guys are sure doing a great job convincing me not to sail on HAL.

Given HAL's notoriously liberal smoking policy and mediocre food quality, i wouldn't be surprised if more of their regulars start looking at Oceania where a few dollars more (and occasionally less) gets you one of the most restrictive smoking policies at sea as well as far better food and exceptional service.

Had they really wanted to do something technically innovated and helpful to customers, they could have added a feature to their website "Plan A Cruise" section" and include a feature of how much single supplement would be (the percentage). I believe a LOT f single travelers would appreciate such a feature.

Had they really wanted to do something technically innovated and helpful to customers, they could have added a feature to their website "Plan A Cruise" section" and include a feature of how much single supplement would be (the percentage). I believe a LOT f single travelers would appreciate such a feature.

Free and fast Wifi would draw a younger demographic. People want their social networks and streaming. Passengers using their social networks while onboard would also give HAL free advertising.

Edited by Charles4515

Ashford was asked about "enrichment program" and he said the new things would "enhance" them not replace them. But without specifics, that answer could mean anything.

I thought the idea would be to cut the HAL payroll. Dispensing with the Location Guides and Guest Lecturers and bringing in this BBC program would accomplish that. Sounds as if the BBC graogram could sub for both quite well.

I thought the idea would be to cut the HAL payroll. Dispensing with the Location Guides and Guest Lecturers and bringing in this BBC program would accomplish that. Sounds as if the BBC graogram could sub for both quite well.

I'm not sure what the BBC partnership will bring to HAL. It might be destination videos on the high-tech screen in the showroom. Those could be pulled from BBC's library of already-produced videos. Quick, easy, and inexpensive to add to the ship. The BBC guy did say something about being able to ask questions. But I wonder if that will be podcasts rather than real live human speakers.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I'm not sure what the BBC partnership will bring to HAL. It might be destination videos on the high-tech screen in the showroom. Those could be pulled from BBC's library of already-produced videos. Quick, easy, and inexpensive to add to the ship. The BBC guy did say something about being able to ask questions. But I wonder if that will be podcasts rather than real live human speakers.

You are right, could be anything. Sounds quite comprehensive, though.

Looks like nothing has changed in HAL's Marketing group.

Same old, same old. Completely out of touch, completely out to lunch.

Much of the content of the announcement seems to be overshadowed by the Marketing's group 'failure to launch'. No surprise to those who have been involved in product launches, announcements, etc.

Shame really.

Edited by iancal

Given HAL's notoriously liberal smoking policy and mediocre food quality, i wouldn't be surprised if more of their regulars start looking at Oceania where a few dollars more (and occasionally less) gets you one of the most restrictive smoking policies at sea as well as far better food and exceptional service.

I appreciate your response but smoking policies are simply not a factor in my choice of a cruise line. I'm a former smoker and being around smokers bothers me not at all.

I've looked at Oceania/Azamara/Etc and do not find many itineraries that fit my requirements. They go to some wonderful places but my wife is not interested in any cruise that requires an airplane. That leaves me with few options on those lines.