HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

Sorry but HAL will never be in those leagues of "Designer" Those are Status symbols. HAL has fallen more in the lines of K-Mart. :(

I respect your knowledge and experience but isn't this comment a little harsh?

Edited by qsuzi

I respect your knowledge and experience but isn't this comment a little harsh?

I don't know, what do you call it when a cruise in December for a balcony goes for $699 per person on the NieuwAmsterdam yet all the competition going seven days for similar itineraries are going for double the price, to me that looks like a low priced bargain cruise line. This happens frequently.

Now having something with the logo of say Crystal, Regent even Celebrity speaks high class status symbol. I can tell you the average person could not tell you what company the Hal logo is. Nor will they care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you're right but he is the boss and he is responsible for the presentation one way or the other. Personally I think most of what he announced falls in the "so what" or "whatever" category so I don't envy anybody trying to make the announcements real exciting. Actually I don't envy anybody in the cruise industry who is trying to carve out a niche in basically the mass market even if in the higher end of that market.

Exactly, I totally agree. There are just way too many things that need to be replaced or fixed on the HAL ships the money spent for this was extremely foolish in my opinion. I am hearing of yet another ship with diesel fuel smells (I am aware of two ships that have this continuing problem) because of a fuel tank leak that HAL is not fixing and numerous plumbing and a/c issues on many of their ships. I have heard that they do not have the funds allocated to fix these ships and that money that was thought to be allocated was spent for something else...hmmmmm guess we found out what it was.

There continues to be cut back on crew. They are expecting to have Koningsdam operate smoothly with less crew than the Signature Class with three more Restaurants and Three more bars. But 40 Million was spend on what we heard about yesterday.

Maybe it is bad thing for myself and DH to know personally may that work on the ship and know some of the inner workings. We are not naive passengers we are well aware what is going on. Last night Tom and I discussed this. We have spent 95% of our cruising time on HAL and basically always thought it would be our Home Away from Home. Our Go To Cruise line. We have seen the changes over the years but thought they would turn themselves around. Tom's words were and mine too is basically we feel betrayed. I know of several crew that have quit. Even a Bartender I am friended with on Facebook is going to RCCL. As well as a Very Good Hotel Director very recently resigned.

HAL truly needed to FIX many things before they wasted the money they did on something that no one will truly notice.

Ah, Lisa......

Once again, you and I are thinking rather similarly regarding HAL's newest 'exciting' announcement.

I didn't start counting when Mr. Ashford began speaking but if he used the word exciting one more time, I thought I'd strangle the image on my laptop. If he has to tell us at least 15 times how exciting his news is, one wonders if he is trying to convince himself or us. :rolleyes: There was nothing exciting about anything he said or the way it was presented, IMO

I'm not sure I'd go down so far as to say K-Mart but I'm not giving them Four Seasons or the Ritz whereas at a point in time, the product DH and I enjoyed was well within the high Four Star Level. It no longer is, IMO.... not when toilets and air conditioners fail as often as happens on HAL ships.

But Sail you missed the fun...you were supposed to drink every time the word exciting was used...

I do agree that HAL is no longer a premium line. They offer nothing new and exciting (cheers) for either the upscale or basic traveler compared to other lines. I know people will chime in about the wonderful crew (when not rushed or overworked) and how HAL is traditional and feels like home but that is not going to attract new customers. I have a feeling that Carnival Corp doesn't know what to do with it and will let is slowly slip away.

The big announcement was a joke, new inexperienced travelers who might need help planning travel will not want to come to HAL and well seasoned travelers know how to plan and don't need the help.

Exactly, I totally agree. There are just way too many things that need to be replaced or fixed on the HAL ships the money spent for this was extremely foolish in my opinion. I am hearing of yet another ship with diesel fuel smells (I am aware of two ships that have this continuing problem) because of a fuel tank leak that HAL is not fixing and numerous plumbing and a/c issues on many of their ships. I have heard that they do not have the funds allocated to fix these ships and that money that was thought to be allocated was spent for something else...hmmmmm guess we found out what it was.

There continues to be cut back on crew. They are expecting to have Koningsdam operate smoothly with less crew than the Signature Class with three more Restaurants and Three more bars. But 40 Million was spend on what we heard about yesterday.

Maybe it is bad thing for myself and DH to know personally may that work on the ship and know some of the inner workings. We are not naive passengers we are well aware what is going on. Last night Tom and I discussed this. We have spent 95% of our cruising time on HAL and basically always thought it would be our Home Away from Home. Our Go To Cruise line. We have seen the changes over the years but thought they would turn themselves around. Tom's words were and mine too is basically we feel betrayed. I know of several crew that have quit. Even a Bartender I am friended with on Facebook is going to RCCL. As well as a Very Good Hotel Director very recently resigned.

HAL truly needed to FIX many things before they wasted the money they did on something that no one will truly notice.

Lisa....Couldn't have said it any better. At the rate HAL is going into the future, we will probably start looking at Oceania..Carol

But Sail you missed the fun...you were supposed to drink every time the word exciting was used...

What???? NOW you tell us????????

I do agree that HAL is no longer a premium line. They offer nothing new and exciting (cheers) for either the upscale or basic traveler compared to other lines. I know people will chime in about the wonderful crew (when not rushed or overworked) and how HAL is traditional and feels like home but that is not going to attract new customers. I have a feeling that Carnival Corp doesn't know what to do with it and will let is slowly slip away.

The big announcement was a joke, new inexperienced travelers who might need help planning travel will not want to come to HAL and well seasoned travelers know how to plan and don't need the help.

The kinds of tech help the new wonderful exciting (excuse me while I swallow, still catching up) website is geared at someone who knows NOTHING and wants to do the simplest possible booking. I kind of feel that HAL's attitude is who cares what the product is as long as we can rope in some newbies to buy it? It only has to look exciting (swallowing again) to prospective customers, not be exciting once they're on board. (oops, was that me belching, soo sorry)

When this rolls out in January, it will be interesting to look at UTrip's site and see if they promote HAL. Also, will Afar mag have lots of HAL ads?

I am not saying that we would book a cruise based on the line's logo, but whoever thinks logos are not that important might want to consider these few examples ...

Nobody is buying these brands because they like the look of the logo - they buy for the products and the cachet.

When this rolls out in January, it will be interesting to look at UTrip's site and see if they promote HAL. Also, will Afar mag have lots of HAL ads?

Will they start sending us AFAR instead of "Travel and Leisure" as a 4-star benefit ? Can't imagine them partnering with 2 different competing magazines.

Nobody is buying these brands because they like the look of the logo - they buy for the products and the cachet.

Not so fast ... I think there are a lot of people attached to that little polo pony and don't mind paying a few bucks more for it than they would for another brand's shirt ;)

Lisa....Couldn't have said it any better. At the rate HAL is going into the future, we will probably start looking at Oceania..Carol[/size

We love Oceania, fine food, very good service and ships in impeccable condition.

Many HAL loyalists have bailed and are cruising other lines, some mass market, some premium, some luxury. I read half a dozen cruise line There are lots of choices.

Keep an open mind and you will be fine.

Sadly I think some Holland America loyalists are so invested that they wont like or admit they like the experience on another cruise line.

I don't know, what do you call it when a cruise in December for a balcony goes for $699 per person on the NieuwAmsterdam yet all the competition going seven days for similar itineraries are going for double the price, to me that looks like a low priced bargain cruise line. This happens frequently.

Now having something with the logo of say Crystal, Regent even Celebrity speaks high class status symbol. I can tell you the average person could not tell you what company the Hal logo is. Nor will they care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celebrity, Regent and Crystal all have very plain logos with the name of the cruise line forefront.

HAL's new logo is certainly recognizable to Mariners, but not, as noted, to anyone else. And I thought this was all about enticing newbies!

The $699.00 Caribbean cruise: I can see that this happens frequently but how many actual balconies are available at this pricing per sailing?

Edited by SilvertoGold

I just went to the HAL site, as I missed all the fun yesterday, and thought there might be something there. I clicked on "News" and came to three press releases that were issued - but there was nothing there! I guess it has gone back to being a secret. (One release was supposed to be for BBC Earth, one for Afar media and one for ITrip) Maybe they're having a hard time figuring out what to say!:D

I just went to the HAL site, as I missed all the fun yesterday, and thought there might be something there. I clicked on "News" and came to three press releases that were issued - but there was nothing there! I guess it has gone back to being a secret. (One release was supposed to be for BBC Earth, one for Afar media and one for ITrip) Maybe they're having a hard time figuring out what to say!:D

They posted the news to their Blog page ...

phttp://www.hollandamericablog.com/2015/10/30/bbc-earth-afar-utrip-bring-natural-world-cruise-personalization-to-guests/

Celebrity, Regent and Crystal all have very plain logos with the name of the cruise line forefront.

HAL's new logo is certainly recognizable to Mariners, but not, as noted, to anyone else. And I thought this was all about enticing newbies!

The $699.00 Caribbean cruise: I can see that this happens frequently but how many actual balconies are available at this pricing per sailing?

I also can see this price in the Caribbean for some sailings - so much competition from other cruise lines in that area. HAL has been more expensive when I've priced balconies and suites for Mexico and Alaska compared to RCL and Princess.

When one has sailed so many cruises and/or days and honored the cruise line with their dollars and loyalty and finally achieved the higher level perks, it is unsettling just to see some of those things you liked most start to decline in comparison with the competition.

Edited by qsuzi

I think you made the whole point by that simple statement.......

The Big Announcement didn't do very much for many of us. So much hoopla about what??? :D

A lot to do about nothing much.

I would have been far more excited to learn they had HVAC Engineers and Plumbers going over all the ships to be sure we'd could count on having a working toilet and air conditioning/heating as needed. THAT would be money well spent as far as most guests are concerned.

Edited by sail7seas

Who would have anticipated that the logo would be the biggest talking point out of the whole BIG announcement? Kinda sad, really.

I've been thinking the same since about this time yesterday. And yeah, it is sad especially since we haven't been on HAL in 11 years but will be again in early 2017. Wonder what our impressions will be?

I would have been far more excited to learn they had HVAC Engineers and Plumbers going over all the ships to be sure we'd could count on having a working toilet and air conditioning/heating as needed. THAT would be money well spent as far as most guests are concerned.

Sorry, that money has been earmarked to upgrade the suites. :rolleyes:

Do we know, though, that they are not planning on spending money in maintenance? It seems like hardly the kind of thing you'd announce...

If I were a new cruiser, I think I'd avoid like the plague any ship announcing they are spending a lot of money just to ensure their ageing fleet/systems are functional. Given the concerns many newbie cruisers voice here, I'm guessing there would be considerable concern, since many have heard of the problems of ships going dead in the water.

These sorts of events are mainly held in order to get the media to write nice things about you in their paper/magazine/blog. I'm guessing few companies would announce something as unglamorous as "needed repairs to our infrastructure".

Much hype about nothing. Disappointed puts it mildly. What a waste! Friends sailed with HAL after much encouragement from us, but never will again because of their negative experience ... including bathroom/sewage problems. As others have said, THAT should be HAL's priority.

Edited by jhannah

I suggest all you Mariners go look at your email and see the latest missive that just arrived in your inbox from Mr. ash ford telling you you about the exciting news for Mariners.

Terri

Thanks Terri, but in no email in my inbox! :( Why am I not surprised! :rolleyes: