Bacon (please don't make fun of my post!)

bubbadogmom

Maybe I've been lucky. Or maybe I've just been on cruises that were heavily laden with non-bacon-eating heathens, but I've never had an issue finding bacon in Oceanview. We tend to go early, though (before 8), which might help.

What I do have a problem with is flimsy, undercooked bacon. I like mine crisp and just this side of burnt. Most of the time, all I can find is flaccid, greasy strips of near-raw.

Yeah, there was a worldwide shortage of escargot something to do with they were not breeding as fast as normal or something and therefore there was a very limited number of escargot of harvesting size available.

Yeah, they do tend to move at a snail's pace...

Turncoat here.

Yorkshire through and through.

I just love the crispy Canadian bacon but how are you supposed to eat it? Stick your fork in and shards of bacon explode in the dining room. I use my fingers. Sorry! Sorry also if it is American.

On Connie earlier this year they ran out of bananas apparently. There were no oat and raisin cookies either! I was gutted. It is my treat if I do an hours walk every morning. Had a prosecco instead:D

Turncoat here.

Yorkshire through and through.

I just love the crispy Canadian bacon but how are you supposed to eat it? Stick your fork in and shards of bacon explode in the dining room. I use my fingers. Sorry! Sorry also if it is American.

On Connie earlier this year they ran out of bananas apparently. There were no oat and raisin cookies either! I was gutted. It is my treat if I do an hours walk every morning. Had a prosecco instead:D

The crispy kind is American. And it's perfectly acceptable to use your fingers. :) I do like the British type too though.

Can I hijack this thread and "get an amen" that all bacon should be well done and crispy? There's nothing worse than waiting for bacon and once you get it, it's soft and chewy #baconproblems

Thought my husband was the only one who would stand in line for however long for crispy bacon for his bacon sandwich!

Can I hijack this thread and "get an amen" that all bacon should be well done and crispy? There's nothing worse than waiting for bacon and once you get it, it's soft and chewy #baconproblems

There is no such thing as bad bacon. Cook it either way, it's still great:D

• 9 months later...
My topic is Bacon. And the lack there of......

Most of you may think I am crazy, and I can live with that, but it's actually a legitimate question!

I'm just wondering if there is/was an explanation for what I experienced; like perhaps there was a pork shortage?? Or perhaps it is a cruise line specific issue?

My last 2 cruises I had vastly different experiences, ranging from one extreme to the other.

Just last month I sailed the NCL Breakaway - New York to Bermuda. I was pleasantly surprised. There was bacon everywhere!! Every station full at the buffet and replenished constantly with fresh piles of delicious crispy bacon!! Every day!! It was heaven!!

But last April on the Reflection, it was the total opposite. It almost became amusing by the end of the week and I had given up and just ate sausages (although hmmm - that's pork too).

Every morning during breakfast, didn't matter early or late - there was a HUGE line up for bacon. Like 10-12+ people, at every single bacon station. the trays were always empty, and when a tray was put down, hot from the kitchen, it was barely 1/3 full and would be gone within seconds, and then the 15-20 minute wait for bacon and lineups would resume. I swear I almost saw like 4 fights nearly break out - people wanted their bacon!

It was seriously one of the craziest things I had ever seen. I tried asking one day but never got an answer, they just laughed and said people like bacon.

I guess I just accepted that it was a hot commodity and maybe expensive and they were rationing it.

It was specifically JUST bacon - nothing else was short.

So I was very pleasantly surprised on the Breakaway when the bacon was plentiful and replaced just as quickly as other items.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

It's just that I'm taking my dad on his first cruise and I need to warn him in advance to not be disappointed if he can't get bacon without a 20 min wait!

http://cruiseradio.net/cruise-ship-bacon-police/

See? I wasn't crazy!! It has happened before!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by bubbadogmom

Eurgh! :D

But give me dry cured English back bacon over that crappy, tasteless and overcooked, streaky stuff they serve in the US. The stuff that shatters when you stick your fork into it!

Again, if it shatters it is badly overcooked and don't know why you would eat it.

Tasteless? Honestly, after eating LOTS of back bacon and LOTS of what you call streaky bacon, I don't find the taste that dissimilar. Now Canadian bacon, that is a different story...

i think if people really know of the terrible conditions pigs are raised in they would not eat any pork products. I have visited various piggeries and the way these intelligent animals are mistreated is is just terrible. No room to move or even turn around. I love bacon too but just cannot eat it any more after seeing how it is produced,

i think if people really know of the terrible conditions pigs are raised in they would not eat any pork products. I have visited various piggeries and the way these intelligent animals are mistreated is is just terrible. No room to move or even turn around. I love bacon too but just cannot eat it any more after seeing how it is produced,

That's fine. You stick to your Granola. More bacon for me.

Again, if it shatters it is badly overcooked and don't know why you would eat it.

Tasteless? Honestly, after eating LOTS of back bacon and LOTS of what you call streaky bacon, I don't find the taste that dissimilar. Now Canadian bacon, that is a different story...

I don't eat it for that very reason, but perhaps you need to tell the chefs onboard that they're overcooking it. ;)

Canadian bacon is a step up from this rubbish, but I did say 'English dry cured back bacon'. This has a stronger taste which varies depending on the curing process used. Again, this isn't to be confused with what Celebrity call 'English back bacon' onboard.

Totally understand what you are saying. But there are some decent and ethical farm shops out there if you look for them.

Probably just a mistake from the supplier. Most ordering is done with a set list, knowing the amounts per day of each provision needed. The standard for a 7 day cruise for a certain ship and itinerary probably remains static and just the amount of waste determines if any changes are to be made.

As to the escargot shortage ?? When that was going on the supplies of the large (food service sized) cans were readily available. BTW most escargot served come from cans.

I have no info on the bacon problem however there hasn't been in my experience any shortage in the local markets in fact there seem to be more brands each week for bacon. The local markets would see a shortage long before restaurants or cruise lines would since large suppliers get priority to not only quantity but quality (grade). Restaurants get much better grades of produce, meats and other food items from suppliers or they would lose their business or contracts.

That being said, my better half searches out the bacon stations to find the crispest she can and has always been satisfied with the choices. LOL

bosco

Things like this happen. We have a friend who does a lot of cruising and on one cruise, they ran out of bananas half way through the cruise.

DON

We had a cruise they ran out of mustard, only had dijon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk