New Suite Benefits - Sky Suites get Michael's Club Access

need2bespoiled

A few general thoughts:

Personally this news is fantastic and I'm selfishly excited. We're booked in an aft corner Sky Suite on the Equinox TA in April for our honeymoon. I'm personally excited about the activities - even more than the free alcohol. Someone mentioned high tea, which I love. I see us stopping by for the free drinks and light bites when we have a few minutes. Or going to a scheduled activity and enjoying a drink or 2. We'll still buy drinks at other bars (my fiance loves his craft beer and will frequent gastropub and I love my fancy cocktails), but we can mix it up with Michaels Club to both offer variety and keep the costs down a little bit. (Weddings are expensive and every little bit of savings is nice...)

Your fiance would not have had to go to the Gastropub under the current situation. He need only have told the barman his preference in beer and they would have not only put the beers behind the bar but recognised him as he came in, greeted him by name and had his favourite beer in front of him within a minute of him getting comfortable. It is exactly that level of service that people were loving and rebooking for, but sadly will no longer be possible with so many additional people. With the numbers now proposed (unless its an off peak half empty cruise) it will be impossible to provide waiter service at peak times or even see a guest arrive as people will be three deep at the bar. Even 50% of the potential pax would overwhelm the less than 40 seats (most of which weigh a ton by the way and are really difficult to move) that exist in an S class Michaels.

The proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating and thankfully it will be in operation for a few months before we have to pay our balance so we will be able to judge if Micheals Club still worth anything as a part of the Suites experience and whether it is worth completing our booking.

Edited by scifimonkey

Thanks Project Gal,

That is a benefit worth having! Also looking forward to the champagne!

Agreed.

We got the champagne on our cruise in April/May but I assumed that it was because I had asked for it in Michael's Club. Whatever the reason, it was and is appreciated.

Your fiance would not have had to go to the Gastropub under the current situation. He need only have told the barman his preference in beer and they would have not only put the beers behind the bar but recognised him as he came in, greeted him by name and had his favourite beer in front of him within a minute of him getting comfortable. It is exactly that level of service that people were loving and rebooking for, but sadly will no longer be possible with so many additional people. With the numbers now proposed (unless its an off peak half empty cruise) it will be impossible to provide waiter service at peak times or even see a guest arrive as people will be three deep at the bar. Even 50% of the potential pax would overwhelm the less than 40 seats (most of which weigh a ton by the way and are really difficult to move) that exist in an S class Michaels.

The proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating and thankfully it will be in operation for a few months before we have to pay our balance so we will be able to judge if Micheals Club still worth anything as a part of the Suites experience and whether it is worth completing our booking.

Agreed! Unfortunately, we cruise in January [never thought I would utter that phrase!] and I am afraid that they will not have ironed everything out by then. I will be happy if I am proved wrong and will not be too proud to say so on Cruise Critic. We'll see ...

Edited by Project_gal

Agreed! Unfortunately, we cruise in January [never thought I would utter that phrase!] and I am afraid that they will not have ironed everything out by then. I will be happy if I am proved wrong and will not be too proud to say so on Cruise Critic. We'll see ...

Me either, I am desperately hoping that I am wrong too, just keep visualising the space and then trying to fit even a proportion of the people in and failing to see how it can possibly work....................:rolleyes:

I just keeping trying to visualise what even 50% of the capacity of Luminae crammed into Michaels will look like, it is not a pretty sight.

As I've said before, I bet this change is associated with a reduction in times drink is served free of charge. When they first announced Michaels there were time restrictions, then when it rolled out, it was a much wider time frame eg all day. Bet it goes back to 5-8 or whatever

If Celebrity follow the Royal Caribbean suite perks, it will just be happy hours in the evening. And that's when everybody arrived! Pretty sure it ended at 8.30pm when we had suite on IOTS.

Exactly, I'd like the official poster to confirm

1. Will there be the same hours for free drinks as currently operates

2. Will they review the adverse impact of the change on existing Celebrity Suite bookings for whom they have given nothing in return....

If Celebrity follow the Royal Caribbean suite perks, it will just be happy hours in the evening. And that's when everybody arrived! Pretty sure it ended at 8.30pm when we had suite on IOTS.

Not long back from Allure. The suite perks on that ship were excellent. Coastal Kitchen restaurant open breakfast, lunch and dinner. Beer, wine and champagne available 11am to 11pm. Spirits if you asked for them. Suite lounge open all day. Great views out from the Lounge and Coastal. Private sun lounge area with dedicated bar (not free). Big ship and lots of space to do it. In spite of many top level Crown and Anchor Pinnacle cruisers who could also use the facilities it was a very nice experience. They had two concierges who seemed very busy a lot of the time. I fear the same for Michael's Concierges in the future and a busy Michael's Club, but time will tell.

Phil

I'm sorry for all the RC comparisons, but we haven't sailed with Celebrity yet.

Are the Michael's Clubs on all ships about same size? I've had a suite on a Radiance class ship, and for a smaller ship, the lounge was much larger than the CL on Freedom and Voyager class ships. Do the larger ships have larger lounges?

(And now I'll be googling images for Michael's Club. :))

S class, the bigger ships have an L shaped layout meaning a corridor effect on entrance. The M class is more square. I am unsure on square footage which is bigger but the M class Michael's seemed bigger to me.

The Furnishings in the S class are also heavy, chunky and include sizeable sofas. They are hard to move.

We have done suite class on the Allure and despite the lovely conceirge room it did not have the 'club' ambience we have so enjoyed in Michael's.

So glad now I am not cruising until Spring, hopefully any problems will be sorted by then. Like others I am hoping there will be no issues.

Hopefully they do not need CC to tell them to considered the furnishings and look at the staffing for peak times (both bar and conceirge).

This is true and 100% our experience except it was scotch. The Michael's Club concierge actually went and pulled all 4 remaining bottles of my DH's favorite scotch and kept 3 in Michael's and sent one to our stateroom. As you can imagine, DH tipped big for that. I had forgotten about the cruise until you reminded me...

This suite class system on "X" and some other lines should be putting pressure on the so-called luxury lines. We had been Regent cruisers because we didn't want the hassle of paying for every little thing on board and having to fight crowds. Regent eventually priced themselves out of our comfort zone so we tried HAL. They had the Neptune lounge for Suites and not much else. Our TA suggested "X" when they offered the 1,2,3 promotion where we could have no gratuities, beverage cards and OBC to cover other minor expenses. We sailed Aqua Class and enjoyed BLU and SPA access in addition to not having to worry about the cost of drinks and such. Our next cruise will be in a Sky Suite because we would, again, have the 1,2,3 promo plus Luminea. Now, with Michael's Club added, we can have almost a luxury line experience at about half the price. We had been thinking about trying Regent (or Silverseas, Crystal, etc.) again but, with a private lounge now added, don't know why we would. Even though the other lines still have the benefit of a smaller number of passengers, being in a class that is pretty much "walled off" from the rest of the ship and having priority this and priority that, means there isn't that much point in paying so much extra for those other lines unless you have money to burn. Yes, there is still more of a luzyry feel on Regent, but we would rather cruise more often for less money.

S class, the bigger ships have an L shaped layout meaning a corridor effect on entrance. The M class is more square. I am unsure on square footage which is bigger but the M class Michael's seemed bigger to me.

The Furnishings in the S class are also heavy, chunky and include sizeable sofas. They are hard to move.

We have done suite class on the Allure and despite the lovely conceirge room it did not have the 'club' ambience we have so enjoyed in Michael's.

So glad now I am not cruising until Spring, hopefully any problems will be sorted by then. Like others I am hoping there will be no issues.

Hopefully they do not need CC to tell them to considered the furnishings and look at the staffing for peak times (both bar and conceirge).

Please report on your experience in the spring I have until May before final payment and your report might well be the clincher as to whether I go ahead with my 2x CS suites or look for a late deal elsewhere and ditch my deposits.

We have had three Michael's Club cruises. 2 S class and 1 M class. We loved absolutely every minute! There were hot spots of busy time, pre and post dinner. Busy, but never crowded. Always greeted by name, bar staff always keen to help and provide everything we wanted. Conceirges almost predicting what we wanted before we asked for it.

I think the M class Michael's will more comfortably hold more guests. The S class lounge may need to be refurnished to accommodate more, the present furnishings are bulky and heavy.

We have 3 more Celebrity cruises booked and hope the fears of Michael's being overcrowded are unfounded. There are lots of practical, simple things Celebrity can do in terms of additional staffing, maybe having early and late evening musical specials, music specials in alternative venues, two conceirges at peak times....

I will report back in the spring but I honestly think that any issues that arise will be addressed by Celebrity. They have invested heavily in the suite experience and will not want their high end customers complaining and cancelling. I do think the holiday period this year could be tricky but after that hopefully Michael's will be the 'club' experience we so enjoy!

Don't worry scifimonkey, suite guests can be vocal. By the time I cruise, let alone you it should be smooth sailing!

I will now consider downgrading all my PH bookings to SS bookings and save a ton of money (actually enough money to sail 6 more times in 2016!)

Agreed. We have only booked Royal and Celebrity on our European cruises and Michael's Club has been busy and a reason we booked the suites. Now, with 2/3 more rooms using Michael's and the concierge services, our next cruise has been devalued. We are paying over $3000 more for 95 sq feet and no other perks? Not a wise financial decision.

On our European cruises Michael's was well used and the concierges provided exceptional service. That level of service can not possibly continue with 2/3 more rooms (on Equinox it will rise from 22 suites now 66 suites). The level of service cannot be expected to be the same.

I am disappointed. I don't mind expanding my horizons and group of on board friends (I've done that be hanging out at the martini bar or other activities). I do mind that when I booked, and agreed to pay the additional money, I was lead to believe that I would receive the same level of service as on past cruises.

Looking at other cruise lines.

Agreed. We have only booked Royal and Celebrity on our European cruises and Michael's Club has been busy and a reason we booked the suites. Now, with 2/3 more rooms using Michael's and the concierge services, our next cruise has been devalued. We are paying over $3000 more for 95 sq feet and no other perks? Not a wise financial decision.

On our European cruises Michael's was well used and the concierges provided exceptional service. That level of service can not possibly continue with 2/3 more rooms (on Equinox it will rise from 22 suites now 66 suites). The level of service cannot be expected to be the same.

I am disappointed. I don't mind expanding my horizons and group of on board friends (I've done that be hanging out at the martini bar or other activities). I do mind that when I booked, and agreed to pay the additional money, I was lead to believe that I would receive the same level of service as on past cruises.

Looking at other cruise lines.

Wow, nice statement meant to demean me because I am booking 2 sky suites (b2bcruises). Let me tell you why. My husband is disabled and cannot climb into the Celebrity suite tub (we've tried it) and quite honestly the cost of b2b Royal Suites is too expensive. Now, we could have just gone on one cruise but we would like to be out of Michigan for 4 weeks during the winter months. We were in the Penthouse Suite on the Solstice and while we could have used Michael's Club, it wasn't necessary for our comfort. Never would I have put down people because I didn't feel that they should use it.

So, don't worry, while we can use Michael's club this winter, we won't because I don't want some people to snub me and whisper to others that we don't really belong there.

Wow, nice statement meant to demean me because I am booking 2 sky suites (b2bcruises). Let me tell you why. My husband is disabled and cannot climb into the Celebrity suite tub (we've tried it) and quite honestly the cost of b2b Royal Suites is too expensive. Now, we could have just gone on one cruise but we would like to be out of Michigan for 4 weeks during the winter months. We were in the Penthouse Suite on the Solstice and while we could have used Michael's Club, it wasn't necessary for our comfort. Never would I have put down people because I didn't feel that they should use it.

So, don't worry, while we can use Michael's club this winter, we won't because I don't want some people to snub me and whisper to others that we don't really belong there.

So far from the truth. We have significantly disabled members of our family and I would whole heartedly endorse Celebrity providing additional service for those that any room is not the appropriate room for their needs.

I am simply saying that I am concerned that when you increase the demand on a service by 2/3 and don't provide information about increasing the staffing etc. it is not a good plan. Besides which changing the perimeters after booking and after non-refundable airfare is disappointing.

I welcome the chance to meet more people, believe me we are not the "snubbing" type which is why this change is meaningful. We work hard and reserving the level of room we have reserved is a luxury, not an easy thing for us.

I always think twice about writing on any blog, because people seem likely to assume the worse... This is not the case here, on my part. I have seen so much worse on the thread about formal vs. chic dress changes.

So far from the truth. We have significantly disabled members of our family and I would whole heartedly endorse Celebrity providing additional service for those that any room is not the appropriate room for their needs.

I am simply saying that I am concerned that when you increase the demand on a service by 2/3 and don't provide information about increasing the staffing etc. it is not a good plan. Besides which changing the perimeters after booking and after non-refundable airfare is disappointing.

I welcome the chance to meet more people, believe me we are not the "snubbing" type which is why this change is meaningful. We work hard and reserving the level of room we have reserved is a luxury, not an easy thing for us.

I always think twice about writing on any blog, because people seem likely to assume the worse... This is not the case here, on my part. I have seen so much worse on the thread about formal vs. chic dress changes.

I'm sorry the previous poster who quoted you mis-interpreted what you said. I didn't take it the way they did at all.

I would however, like to point something out to you. I highlighted some text from your post. Aren't you doing EXACTLY that about what you BELIEVE will be the experience in Michael's Club?

Is your airfare really non-refundable, or can you simply change it for $400 ($200 / person) which is near the highest I have seen for change fees). I do understand $400 is a lot of money, but compared to being upset at $3000, it is quite a bit less.

These are tough decisions. Vacations are emotional, how we spend money can be emotional. Combined the two and it becomes even more emotional. I hope everyone who is frustrated by unexpected changes that don't benefit them, especially when their fear is causing anxiety still have wonderful sailings.

Happy sailing to all,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I'm sorry the previous poster who quoted you mis-interpreted what you said. I didn't take it the way they did at all.

I would however, like to point something out to you. I highlighted some text from your post. Aren't you doing EXACTLY that about what you BELIEVE will be the experience in Michael's Club?

Is your airfare really non-refundable, or can you simply change it for $400 ($200 / person) which is near the highest I have seen for change fees). I do understand $400 is a lot of money, but compared to being upset at $3000, it is quite a bit less.

These are tough decisions. Vacations are emotional, how we spend money can be emotional. Combined the two and it becomes even more emotional. I hope everyone who is frustrated by unexpected changes that don't benefit them, especially when their fear is causing anxiety still have wonderful sailings.

Happy sailing to all,

Jenna

Thank you. So strange to think that after my husband and I started our married life trying to feed ourselves for a week on less than $20 that someone would think we are "snubbing" them.

We are looking into changing our cruise and airfare, yes a change fee would be better than the $3000+ suite charge. We just had such a fabulous experience on our last cruise- the concierge made sure to it that we didn't hesitate to book at the same level.

Sometimes changes don't impact everyone the same way.

Thanks for your understanding and suggestions.

Thank you. So strange to think that after my husband and I started our married life trying to feed ourselves for a week on less than $20 that someone would think we are "snubbing" them.

We are looking into changing our cruise and airfare, yes a change fee would be better than the $3000+ suite charge. We just had such a fabulous experience on our last cruise- the concierge made sure to it that we didn't hesitate to book at the same level.

Is it worth it to change it all, or just go in with an open mind, and enjoy? Are you just assuming the worst? You were happy to pay what you had booked a week ago, has that really changed? Maybe, but maybe not?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Change indeed doesn't impact everyone the same way.

But what if your assumptions are wrong? What if Celebrity thought out this new Suite change...fully and completely. And lo and behold will be able to accommodate everyone, AND on a level that will please all.

Is it worth it to change it all, or just go in with an open mind, and enjoy? Are you just assuming the worst? You were happy to pay what you had booked a week ago, has that really changed? Maybe, but maybe not?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The question of the day. We have had such an "above and beyond" experience on our last 2 cruises, it's hard to decide if we need to reduce expectations or assume that it will be the same. Not worried about more people (we welcome that) just worried about the level of service.

Thanks for your thoughtful and kind words.

The question of the day. We have had such an "above and beyond" experience on our last 2 cruises, it's hard to decide if we need to reduce expectations or assume that it will be the same. Not worried about more people (we welcome that) just worried about the level of service.

Thanks for your thoughtful and kind words.

But surely it is not just level of service [which Celebrity may well be able to address by increasing staffing] but that walls are not elastic.

On our Millennium cruise the room was packed [with more people squeezed onto the banquet than they designed for] every evening. The room could not have accommodated more people. On our Eclipse cruise, people had to stand on many evenings.

I am not about to cancel our CS on the Reflection TA this coming Spring because of this change. Do I expect there to be a difference in Michael's? Sure, but for goodness sake, Michael's is not the only reason we cruise and until I see differently I will assume that X realizes if you suddenly increase the potential of a venue from 50 or so guests to up to 200 that you staff accordingly...

Good Heavens, do you really think they want all the high end suite guests screaming that service has declined? I think not, that would be contrary to their recent philosophy of enhancing the suite experience....

We will wait to judge and hope for the best.....:)

We sailed on the MILLI last spring out of Singapore and the MC club was really empty. Loved the service but I am sure we had room for many more.

We have turned down an upgrade to a CS from a Sky 1 when we did the Norway fjords. We welcome these perk upgrades. Makes it more comparible to perks for most suites on parent Royal.

Nice X even though we're going to miss the change for our S1 this December 11 cruise......lol