Mediterranean cruises for spring 2016 prices sooo high!

travellerin1984

Hi!

I am looking at booking an early Mediterranean cruise in April. Still too expensive... Even with the perks are the prices really high. We Europeans suffer from the strong dollar and it is more difficult to find deals this year. It will be interesting to see how the terrorism and other issues affect the bookings. Just have to wait after final payment... Wait and see! So boring when you want to book a cruise now! ;)

Hi!

I am looking at booking an early Mediterranean cruise in April. Still too expensive... Even with the perks are the prices really high. We Europeans suffer from the strong dollar and it is more difficult to find deals this year. It will be interesting to see how the terrorism and other issues affect the bookings. Just have to wait after final payment... Wait and see! So boring when you want to book a cruise now! ;)

We booked our cruise on the Constellation back in September and note that prices have risen about 50% since then. Some of the increase may be the higher $US but I think X have increased all their costings over the past couple of months

Hi!

They've gone up hugely since the early summer. Supply and demand, I think.

Stuart

some of them are outrageous take for example a reflection sailing in september over 10 nights works out at over $500 per night.

okay it has free drinks package but is this value I dont think so as the places its visiting you could get a very nice hotel all inclusive for much less

We booked our cruise on the Constellation back in September and note that prices have risen about 50% since then. Some of the increase may be the higher $US but I think X have increased all their costings over the past couple of months

Yes, I noticed Constellation had good deals... I am looking at Equinox from Barcelona and prices have been pretty much the same the whole time I have been following the prices. I bought the flight tickets for a month ago. I know from the experience the prices will go down in February or March but it sure is a long wait... ;) I have been hoping for a price drop because of the situation in Europe but so far nothing... Patience patience!

some of them are outrageous take for example a reflection sailing in september over 10 nights works out at over $500 per night.

okay it has free drinks package but is this value I dont think so as the places its visiting you could get a very nice hotel all inclusive for much less

I agree. I have my pricepoint (nowadays quite low when it comes to Med cruises...) and could not imagine to book with that kind of prices. It is just not worth it. Celebrity is definitely a good product but not that luxorious.

I have also noticed that Celebrity prices have gone up substantially. It seems other cruise liens are holding prices of even offering specials at lower prices and it is time for us to choose my vacations elsewhere.

I have only cruised with Celerity but they are becoming too expensive for what they are offering.

we are not booking any cruises to Europe or the Med . Reason is simple I believe that cruise prices must drop & drop substantially because they will not be filled . Reason for what I just said are the terrorist attacks that already happened & what could come in the future .Additionally there are many hundreds of thousands of misplaced refugees & perhaps more to come in 2016 running away from the terrorists towards Europe for safety

Also because of my reasoning I believe that the cruise lines will reposition more cruises away from Europe until these issues are resolved ;). We here on the West coast of the USA feel we will see more itineraries pegged towards Pacific ocean ports in 2016 .;)

we are not booking any cruises to Europe or the Med . Reason is simple I believe that cruise prices must drop & drop substantially because they will not be filled . Reason for what I just said are the terrorist attacks that already happened & what could come in the future .Additionally there are many hundreds of thousands of misplaced refugees & perhaps more to come in 2016 running away from the terrorists towards Europe for safety

Also because of my reasoning I believe that the cruise lines will reposition more cruises away from Europe until these issues are resolved ;). We here on the West coast of the USA feel we will see more itineraries pegged towards Pacific ocean ports in 2016 .;)

Every time I turn on the news, there's another report of a mass shooting in the US, so using your same logic, shouldn't they also be pulling ships away from the US?

The 2017 itineraries have already been leaked, and the number of ships in Europe hasn't been reduced.

We have a Canary island cruise booked for Autumn 2016. When the 2017 cruises came out for the Eclipse I looked for a similar one to the one we have booked. The price had gone up slightly but not much. Then I noticed that the cruise length had gone down from 13 nights to 10. Meaning the cruise was per night substantially dearer and in my opinion not as good.

Supply and demand as always will tell....UK 'special offers' at the moment are pretty grim too, glad I booked my cruise when the 2nd person half price promotion was on!

Check out 2016 Oceania cruises to the Med. Airfare (or credit), beverages, specialty restaurants, etc are always included. For most of the 2016 Med season sailings, if purchased before Dec 31, 2015, "O Life" (I.e., tips, internet and excursions) is included at no extra cost.

They've gone up hugely since the early summer. Supply and demand, I think.

Stuart

Stuart, not sure about that. With the increased terrorist threats in some places in Europe, I suspect demand from North Americans may drop.

I suspect that the price inflation has been caused by the Go Better, Best addition of bennies, as well as increase in US dollar.

We should watch the cruises we are interested in for the future to see how they sell. We usually book early, but may wait now.

Stuart, not sure about that. With the increased terrorist threats in some places in Europe, I suspect demand from North Americans may drop.

I suspect that the price inflation has been caused by the Go Better, Best addition of bennies, as well as increase in US dollar.

We should watch the cruises we are interested in for the future to see how they sell. We usually book early, but may wait now.

Agree that many in the US are not looking to visit Europe right now. As to cruising avoiding the USA, there is little to no apprehension about moving about in the US or places like Australia.

To the OP question - it is truly a matter of supply and demand. Prices for X are up but the deals have also moved up with there being overall ittle or no change. Last year there was a drop in many Med cruises after final payment date. Expect the same to happen this year. For Pacific cruises being added - WHERE???? Mexico is a disaster with drug lords and the US and Canada have limited dockage.

I have also noticed that Celebrity prices have gone up substantially. It seems other cruise liens are holding prices of even offering specials at lower prices and it is time for us to choose my vacations elsewhere.

I have only cruised with Celerity but they are becoming too expensive for what they are offering.

Agreed. I'm all about higher fares = higher quality. But Celebrity is getting more expensive, yet they are cutting back more and more. They can charge as much as they want and we would probably pay it if we felt they provided a higher-end experience. But our future cruising dollars are going more towards Azamara - for the same price as we pay for a suite on X, Azamara provides a much better experience. As much as we have enjoyed X, we only have one future cruise with them....and probably won't add any beyond that.

Michael

Last year there was a drop in many Med cruises after final payment date. .

And in some cases before final payment date.

We booked about 4 months before with about a 70% discount (c.w. the asking price with all the freebies included)

Then there is the idiotic belief when there is an extra charge or cutback that it keeps the fares low and you only pay for what you use. Now you see how that belief is ridiculous. You get both high fares and all the cutbacks and extra charges.

Surely living in SF you know that California has the toughest gun laws in the USA .N Y City has the Sullivan law When there is a terrorist attack is many people killed & wounded not a few . A very sad & scary thing these terrorist attacks . Staying away from harms way imo is the best consideration ;)

Cruise Critic represents perhaps 5 to 10 % of the entire cruise population . When the Costa Concordia went down there was considerable cancellations of cruises . That is pale in comparison with world wide terrorist attacks & the impact on European type cruises . I am sure that the corporate heads of the major cruise lines are watching their booking trends as we speak here .;)

So while some may wish to stay holed up in their basement, I'll keep cruising (to Europe and elsewhere). While I would be happy if prices dropped, I'll continue to book as long as I perceive the price fair for the product I receive.

Hey guys.

The price increase is quite simple and logical.

It is all to do with the Perks..... Celebrity just add your perks onto the cruise price. It is quite simple you are paying for them.

Take away all the alleged free perks and the actual cruise price may come down.

Simple mathematics.

Hey guys.

It is all to do with the Perks..... Celebrity just add your perks onto the cruise price. It is quite simple you are paying for them.

Simple mathematics.

But...but...I keep hearing about "my FREE drink package" and "Celebrity is giving me $300 to spend on board". What about that, huh?

Since we generally only book group prices (no perks at all) we see clearly how much all this "FREE!" stuff actually costs. More than its value, actually, so not even close to free. *

* Disclaimer: Certain tough sell Caribbean itineraries not applicable. There you may find a bit of savings.

Hey guys.

Simple mathematics.

But there ads say they are free perks :rolleyes::confused: Are you saying that they are not? I'm shocked:mad:

Cliff, I'm about as West Coast as you can get, but I certainly don't share your feelings...while I'd love to see regular Pacific coast sailings like the Infinity occasionally does, I won't be cutting back on any Europe travels. If the irrational panic that many Americans are feeling leads to lower prices, well, I'll get to go more. We had a terrible incident here two days ago, about an hour & half east of us, granted in a horrible area, but still in California, so maybe Celebrity should avoid the West coast??? AS far as prices go, let's see what happens after final payment, I'm paying way more for our May Europe cruise than I like, & I'm betting on a suite upgrade after final payment. :) If not, I'll happily pay the going rate, as it's worth it to get to see some more of the world in the very short time we get here.

Is this some sort of joke? Where is San Bernardino? How many South Americans are running towards California for a better life?

Cliff, I'm about as West Coast as you can get, but I certainly don't share your feelings...while I'd love to see regular Pacific coast sailings like the Infinity occasionally does, I won't be cutting back on any Europe travels. If the irrational panic that many Americans are feeling leads to lower prices, well, I'll get to go more. We had a terrible incident here two days ago, about an hour & half east of us, granted in a horrible area, but still in California, so maybe Celebrity should avoid the West coast??? AS far as prices go, let's see what happens after final payment, I'm paying way more for our May Europe cruise than I like, & I'm betting on a suite upgrade after final payment. :) If not, I'll happily pay the going rate, as it's worth it to get to see some more of the world in the very short time we get here.

Excellent post :).