No Strawberries

luv2travel06

We are on the Eurodam now. Before we sailed, I noticed a sign in our local supermarket that said strawberries were not available due to the weather in California. We were gifted chocolate covered strawberries on the ship but were given chocolate treats instead. The ship's staff indicated they are also unable to get fresh strawberries. Frozen strawberries are available for toppings.

Pineapple also seems scarce on this cruise. There are no large bowls of pineapple (or melon for that matter) available at the buffet. Fruit cups or a few pieces of fruit on a saucer is all you see.

Still finding plenty of good things to eat! Enjoyed three mango desserts and passionfruit sorbet at dinner in the MDR last night. :)

We are on the Eurodam now. Before we sailed, I noticed a sign in our local supermarket that said strawberries were not available due to the weather in California. We were gifted chocolate covered strawberries on the ship but were given chocolate treats instead. The ship's staff indicated they are also unable to get fresh strawberries. Frozen strawberries are available for toppings.

Pineapple also seems scarce on this cruise. There are no large bowls of pineapple (or melon for that matter) available at the buffet. Fruit cups or a few pieces of fruit on a saucer is all you see.

Still finding plenty of good things to eat! Enjoyed three mango desserts and passionfruit sorbet at dinner in the MDR last night. :)

Noticed the same lack of Strawberries and Pineapple on our 16-27 Nov Oosterdam cruise. Forgot about that until you mentioned it. Also No oranges in our fruit baskets. along with fewer grapes in the fruit baskets....... And the Strawberry Pavlova for Le Cirque was a Mango Pavlova...Not a good choice:(

Joanie

Not surprising, but cost may be a factor, considering the horrendous pricing lately. Of course HAL buys in bulk, but........

$2 - $4 per pound for apples

$6 for a medium pineapple

$4 per pound for grapes

$5 for a medium honeydew melon

$4 for a medium cantaloupe

$1.50 per pound for navel oranges

$5 per pound for strawberries

$4 for 8 ounces of raspberries

$2 for a medium mango

Yikes!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Noticed a shortage on our cruise too. They used to have mixed berries available for ice cream topping for dinner on the lido. They had it the first night, none the next night. I asked and she said they were all out.

Edited by seagarsmoker
Msp

You're out of strawberry season in Florida right now, and berries from California are scarce because of the drought. Not to worry, as the strawberry season starts this month and continues through the end of the Caribbean season.

On NA recently I was very disappointed about the fruit offerings on the buffet. They did not have trays of sliced fruit, only little plates of usually 3 small pieces of different fruit. I'm allergic to melons so it was very hard to find fruits... and DH likes fresh cantaloupe which was usually with something he didn't want.

So rather than take the little plates and waste the fruit we didn't want or couldn't eat we gravitated to dishes of canned pears. There were bowls of fresh fruit which we had to slice and peel ourselves. Overall it was disappointing, not fatal. m--

You're out of strawberry season in Florida right now, and berries from California are scarce because of the drought. Not to worry, as the strawberry season starts this month and continues through the end of the Caribbean season.

I bought FL berries in the supermarket this week! Not quite up to Garden State quality, but pretty close. It seems a bit early for the FL crop. I usually expect them to start closer to Christmas, but I'm not complaining if they show up early!

Interesting, because we have fields of them in this neck of the woods. It's still too early to pick locally, but we're growing them. (Our crops start ripening in January). We also have them in the stores- not sure if they are domestic or in from Mexico or South America.

(Our blueberries and black berries are from Chile and Argentina now.)

I feel lucky. We were on the Eurodam Thanksgiving week. The Pinnacle had a strawberry pavlova dessert on their lunch menu. It was delicious. I'm not sure if they were fresh or frozen because they were in syrup, but that was the best dessert I had on the ship.

Noticed the same lack of Strawberries and Pineapple on our 16-27 Nov Oosterdam cruise. Forgot about that until you mentioned it. Also No oranges in our fruit baskets. along with fewer grapes in the fruit baskets....... And the Strawberry Pavlova for Le Cirque was a Mango Pavlova...Not a good choice:(

Joanie

Kiwifruit would have been a better choice than Mango on any Pavlova.

Joanie

Mango & Passionfruit Pavlova is a very popular dessert around me, particularly for Christmas, when mangoes are in season.

I don't care for mangoes so I don't partake, but I know it's a well-liked combination.

As for the lack of strawberries, I would definitely miss them, but it would save my complaints that the people ahead of me in line picked out all the strawberries from the mixed fruit bowls.

I was actually behind someone in line in the Lido who went though the whole bowl of fruit and picked out everyone of the strawberries. When I saw what he was doing I commented quite loudly that "other people like strawberries, too." He then looked at his full bowl and put ONE berry back. That's just one reason I like it so much better when the Lido staff serves people. :rolleyes:

I feel lucky. We were on the Eurodam Thanksgiving week. The Pinnacle had a strawberry pavlova dessert on their lunch menu. It was delicious. I'm not sure if they were fresh or frozen because they were in syrup, but that was the best dessert I had on the ship.

Agree!

Love the Pinnacle Pavlova. Never had a less than perfect one there!!

One more good reason to do lunch at the Pinnacle.

Not surprising, but cost may be a factor, considering the horrendous pricing lately. Of course HAL buys in bulk, but........

$4 per pound for grapes

$2 for a medium mango

Yikes!

In our area today:

$.88 /lb apples

$2.88 pineapple

$1.62/ lb grapes

$1.50/ lb strawberries

$4 per pound for grapes

$2 for a medium mango

Yikes!

In our area today:

$.88 /lb apples

$2.88 pineapple

$1.62/ lb grapes

$1.50/ lb strawberries

We pay at least the prices that SilvertoGold quoted, often more. I am very jealous of anyone who has access to low-cost fruit and vegetables. :) Once in a while we get pineapple for $3.99 each but that is not often.

We pay at least the prices that SilvertoGold quoted, often more. I am very jealous of anyone who has access to low-cost fruit and vegetables. :) Once in a while we get pineapple for $3.99 each but that is not often.

So, Canadians pay more, but this cannot be only because of our truly rotten exchange rate against the USD of about 35%!

Let's not get me started on vegetable prices!

Oh, if you insist:

$1 per pound for potatoes

$3 per pound for broccoli

$1 per pound for cabbage

$1.25 per pound for red cabbage

$1 per pound for carrots

$1.25 per pound for winter squashes

$1.50 - $3 per pound for tomatoes

$3.50 per pound for mushrooms

$2 - $4 per pound for green - red peppers

$1.50 per head for lettuce

$.89 per pound for onions