Formal nights? or not?

Redtravel

It's been a few years since I sailed on HAL. Have they gone all casual like other cruise lines? Are there still formal nights? If so, what do people wear. I hate the tuxedo/gown attire. It takes up too much space in our suitcases. We would rather leave the fancy clothing home.

It's been a few years since I sailed on HAL. Have they gone all casual like other cruise lines? Are there still formal nights? If so, what do people wear. I hate the tuxedo/gown attire. It takes up too much space in our suitcases. We would rather leave the fancy clothing home.

Formal Nights are now called "Gala Nights" with formal attire optional. Collared shirts and/or jackets are the minimum now. On our Caribbean cruise last month, I counted 14 tuxedo-clad males passing my MDR table. You can leave your formal attire at home if you wish to save luggage space.

Edited by Crew News

Formal is now called "Gala". I treat it just like Formal, but it seems to be a kind of hybrid.

No tux/gowns needed by a long shot. A nice dress and suit are perfect, but even that is more "formal" than you need now.

HAL is truly "casual" on Gala Nights only in the Lido/Caneletto restaurants.

Edit: Three posting at the same time, the same info. Good that all is in agreement!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Formal Nights are now called "Gala Nights" with formal attire optional. Collared shirts and/or jackets are the minimum now. On our Caribbean cruise last month, I counted 14 tuxedo-clad males passing my MDR table. You can leave your formal attire at home if you wish to save luggage space.

Sounds like i may be leaving the tux at home for our spring TA.

For Gala nights Jacket and tie are suggested for men but not required. On our recent Voyage of the Vikings about 70% had a jacket and tie, 5% tux and 20% just a collared shirt and slacks.

A lot of us would be really interested in knowing what the other 5% was wearing? ;) Or maybe not :D

Edited by taxmantoo

For Gala nights Jacket and tie are suggested for men but not required. On our recent Voyage of the Vikings about 70% had a jacket and tie, 5% tux and 20% just a collared shirt and slacks.

And that's a longer cruise plus non Caribbean which to me are less formal....so if it is down to 5% tuxes I need to just put up the tux and bring a coat and tie.

On our last HAL cruise, DH wore a dress shirt with a tie. A tie takes up no space while a jacket does.

I wore a dressy sweater and a wrap with long pants, as I find the MDR is generally chilly for me.

Edited by Viv0828

honest question here; on caribbean cruises I tend to bring button up, collared silk shirts. They aren't "dress shirts" though. It meets HAL's requirements but what about the reality of it?

Sample for illustration purposes. Edit, changed photo. Yes I know it is a TV character...

latest?cb=20130510235600

Edited by LMaxwell

honest question here; on caribbean cruises I tend to bring button up, collared silk shirts. They aren't "dress shirts" though. It meets HAL's requirements but what about the reality of it?

Sample for illustration purposes. Edit, changed photo. Yes I know it is a TV character...

latest?cb=20130510235600

Your example meets the letter of the dress code, but doesn't come near to meeting the spirit of it.

If you prefer, you can remain casual and dine in the Lido on formal nights. We have not attended a formal dinner on an MDR on any cruise line in quite some time. There are usually reasonable dining alternatives available.

I do not think that you will be missing much if you skip dinner in the MDR.

Edited by iancal

Recently returned from 50 day cruise on MS Amsterdam. On Gala Nights, very few (and I emphasize very few) men dressed in casual clothes. Most men wore either suit or sport coat with tie or tux. Most women wore elegant dresses and a few wore gowns. I still choose to wear a tux. It is no big deal to include in suit cases, and it contributes to a feeling of participating in a special event. What is the point of having "Gala" or formal nights if casual becomes the norm?

Recently returned from 50 day cruise on MS Amsterdam. On Gala Nights, very few (and I emphasize very few) men dressed in casual clothes. Most men wore either suit or sport coat with tie or tux. Most women wore elegant dresses and a few wore gowns. I still choose to wear a tux. It is no big deal to include in suit cases, and it contributes to a feeling of participating in a special event. What is the point of having "Gala" or formal nights if casual becomes the norm?

50 days on the Amsterdam doesn't really compare to 7 days in the Caribbean, does it?

And considering what HAL has done to the menu, it's really no longer "a special event". With a menu somewhat below the standard of a "family restaurant", I'll dress appropriately as I would in that restaurant.

They stopped being a special event for us some time ago.

Well, the place settings are a little better but I have to agree with you about the menu and preparation being akin to a family restaurant-with some added garnish/decoration on the side.

Your example meets the letter of the dress code, but doesn't come near to meeting the spirit of it.

Sorry Ruth but HAL are nowhere near meeting the spirit of the event either. The menu is very unGala like IMHO.

I cannot see any reason to lug formal attire halfway round the world for 8 weeks to wear on 4 nights of mediocre (if that) food.

We used to not go, in deference to the dress code - now we do go - but only because we prefer to not eat eat in the Lido at night.

Edited by Stratheden

Sorry Ruth but HAL are nowhere near meeting the spirit of the event either. The menu is very unGala like IMHO.

I cannot see any reason to lug formal attire halfway round the world for 8 weeks to wear on 4 nights of mediocre (if that) food.

We used to not go, in deference to the dress code - now we do go - but only because we prefer to not eat eat in the Lido at night.

That's pretty much the way I see it. I generally dress more formally than the situation dictates because that's the way I am. Since Hal has made the food on gala nights so unappealing (speaking more the first gala night) I bring less dressy items. That saiid, I'm going for the sparkly top and black pants that many people feel is a formal outfit. I still also bring a long black dress with fancy scarves. If the food keeps going in this direction I will be dumbing down my wardrobe.

Last week we had two Gala nights. The vast majority of men had suits/ties or sports coats/ties. Very few just collar shirts and slacks.

Second night was very nice with the white covered chairs and a nice filet and lobster tail menu (plus other things).

Last week we had two Gala nights. The vast majority of men had suits/ties or sports coats/ties. Very few just collar shirts and slacks.

Second night was very nice with the white covered chairs and a nice filet and lobster tail menu (plus other things).

Sorry Dave, white covered chairs do not improve the menu offerings. The lobster is mushy IMHO and I would not order it.