Phase out of Concierge Lounge

Moltar

To the poster wondering why Anthem has a CL: I do not know, but it's very easy to change that sign at the door, just like every other CL in the fleet.

It must happen in the next few months, as in May the Royal Suite Class program rolls out to all Oasis and Quantum class ships, and one of the perks there is a *suite* lounge, not a *concierge* lounge.

To the Op, just about once a month someone brings up this so called sensitive topic and folks go bananas. Like to know who is doing most of the bitching on this board--Suite guests, Pinnacle or all others. Each group seems (in their minds) to have been wronged by the RCL policies--maybe to satisfy everyone, RCL should simply eliminate all lounges.

IMHO, you can exclude PC Members from complaining as they are eligible to go into any lounge no matter it's name.:D

Leaveitallbehind: You have an excellent response to "spookwife"! I agree 100% with your take on the situation, and hope that someday we will meet on a future cruise! And as for "spookwife" - typical snotty upity attitude - and one of the reasons we enjoy going to the Diamond Lounge much more than the Concierge/Suite/Pinnacle lounge........

You rock!

Edited by Ramjet1997

The Diamond Lounges being based on C & A status carry more prestige or exclusivity as they are based on long term, loyal repeat cruisers which equals more revenue and individual value over time.

Suite Lounges (formerly the Concierge Lounge) are a singular perk that is offered to the Suite guests, many of which may be singular RCI cruisers with no specific loyalty, or long term revenue, to RCI.

I will caveat that in your case by stating you are a repeat RCI cruiser who does so by way of Suite purchases. In that respect you are also building C & A status which will eventually give you access to both as well. (We are a combination of both - sometimes in a suite, other times not). But many Suite guest may not be repeat loyal cruisers, and therefore have not earned the perks that loyalty will provide.

With the likely changes with the Suite Lounges, I will probably loose my C & A access to them - and that's OK, although with 25 years loyalty to RCI I could argue that I've earned it. And clearly Pinnacles have and should not loose that - which they won't. But I typically enjoy the Diamond Lounges better and rarely use the Concierge Lounge - even when in a suite - so I will continue to do so and the Suite guests can enjoy theirs.

And to be clear, the "Plain D's" don't have access to the Concierge Lounge so they are not stealing your seats or your drinks. And if we are only there for an hour then leave to use our 3 coupons, you will still be there for the rest of the time consuming your unlimited drinks - so I'd say its a wash. But very generous of you to concede and additional 2 drinks......:rolleyes:

Need a "LIKE" button.

Last spring we did a B2B on the Serenade. So, we were able to compare experiences on the same ship.

On the first cruise [booked at last minute for a bargain] we had a balcony and on the second cruise we had our first ever full suite. The D lounge was crowded--but, used the Vortex as an overflow. The D lounge concierge, Analia, was excellent and came around to talk and get to know all of us. She had a big job.

During the second week we got to use the CL. I must say this was a much nicer experience. The concierge was even more attentive. The bartender, Melody, was the best we have ever had. There were several well behaved children in the CL and they received the same level of service as the adults. It was nice to interact with families.

A couple of nights we used our vouchers because we felt like having a drink on our balcony on the first cruise. It was nice to have an option.

However, as nice as the D lounge was, the CL was WAY better. It is hard to put into words. It was more intimate, better service, and less groupishness [i know this is not a word--but, you get what I am saying]

We will be D+ in a few months. I look forward to visiting the CL in the future. I know that is not possible on our Harmony cruise. . . . but, will be very disappointed to lose that privilege on other classes of ships. That might be a consideration in selecting future cruises.

I wonder what they're going to do about the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" with respect to the current privilege of getting access to the "Cowcierge" Lounge.

It's certainly possible that they'll discontinue that perk and just give the free ice cream, but I have to admit that I'll be disappointed if they don't grandfather that access into the Suite (perhaps "Sweet") Lounge.

I wonder what they're going to do about the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" with respect to the current privilege of getting access to the "Cowcierge" Lounge.

It's certainly possible that they'll discontinue that perk and just give the free ice cream, but I have to admit that I'll be disappointed if they don't grandfather that access into the Suite (perhaps "Sweet") Lounge.

Given that it is a single stateroom privilege, my guess is nothing will change and you will still have access, but to the Suite Lounge instead.

Hope it all still works out for you Marc! (Besides you can still go to the DL).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Dragon, the CL on Serenade is much nicer than on most other ships, as it is larger and has that wall of glass, if I remember correctly. So there was a lot more room than the DL on that ship. On many other ships, at least before refurbs, the CL is inside with no view and is smaller than the DL.

Edited by 39august

Please forgive my ignorance, but what was the point of a Concierge lounge in the first place?

Dan

It was initially designed for Suite Guests only. When RCI discovered that the lounge as well as the Concierge was underused by Suite Guests, they allowed it to be a C&A Benefit for Diamond Members, because at that time that was the highest level in C&A. In October of 2004, Diamond Plus was the new tier level added, and, of course, D+ Members were also eligible for the Concierge Lounge along with Diamond Members.

At the time there were only Concierge Lounges on Radiance Class and above and they remained the same size, but the number of eligible C&A Members continued to grow. IMHO, this was something that was not considered when they made it a C&A benefit.

It was initially designed for Suite Guests only. When RCI discovered that the lounge as well as the Concierge was underused by Suite Guests, they allowed it to be a C&A Benefit for Diamond Members, because at that time that was the highest level in C&A. In October of 2004, Diamond Plus was the new tier level added, and, of course, D+ Members were also eligible for the Concierge Lounge along with Diamond Members.

At the time there were only Concierge Lounges on Radiance Class and above and they remained the same size, but the number of eligible C&A Members continued to grow. IMHO, this was something that was not considered when they made it a C&A benefit.

Thank you!

Dan

How ironic is it that as Royal Caribbean continues to expound the benefits and virtures of being a Crown & Anchor member, they struggle to accomodate the number of people attempting to USE the appropriate lounges and benefits.

Poor planning to say the least...............dedicated cruisers strive to achieve a certain "level" within the C & A ranks, only to be relegated to lower and lower benefits and/or facilities because the program is so "successful".....

let the Ds keep the vouchers. D+ can have the D Lounge and let us suites and Pinnacles have a lounge to ourselves. I'd even be magnanimous and bump up the D vouchers to 5.

I don't generally believe in bargaining oneself downwards, but I've heard worse deals.

This August will be our first cruise with access to both the D lounge and Suite lounge.............................

Cannot wait to try out the D lounge and see for myself the difference between the two.

Safe travels

Both the D club and SL have the same coffee pot, the same food at night and for breakfast. In the SL you can order drinks during the day if you want to pay, but they have the cheap wine & maybe 2 beers for no up charge starting at 11 or so.

D club is bigger and 2 stories and I think has better furniture and is the same CL it's always been with just a new name at the door, still allows the same passengers in with the addition d guest and any gold card that's d and up.

We enjoyed the SL more than the DL on Oasis. We thought it had a better view, it was close to Coastal Kitchen, and it was also closer to our cabin on 17. The same beer and wine available during cocktail hour is available during the day starting at 11:00am. Lastly, it's nice to have a real bar in the SL but that's just a personal preference.

Just my speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if the Diamond Lounges become earmarked for just D+ and Pinnacle with D's provided the 3 drinks at any bar coupons only. (Been saying this since they introduced the 3 drink coupons). This will provide the crowding relief in the DL's. Agree D+ will lose access to the Suite Lounge but Pinnacle's will likely retain access there.

Here you go again, always the same person, what makes you think just by being D+ and not being affected by your suggestion gives you the right the suggest changes affecting others?

I'm 100% sure in case you are D then you won't suggest this change coz of conflict of interest as you will be personally affected as well.

I'm also going to D+ soon by early next year, but it doesn't mean that just because I became D+, I can suggest changes that will affect the D's.

In case you don't know, your suggestion hints of being self serving to those who read this thread.

Many D's have also earned their status by actual cruising, there is no word with RCCL yet but more likely it would be more fair for RCCL to remove those who got their D or D+ status via their parents instead of points than removing all the D's from the lounges as first step to decongest the lounge. The children's status when they reach 18 is their actual status based on the points they have earned while cruising with their parents.

As we do have D's or D+'s who have actually taken only 1 cruise with RCCL, and they get married and have children, it multiplies....

Edited by roquejo

Many D's have also earned their status by actual cruising, there is no word with RCCL yet but more likely it would be more fair for RCCL to remove those who got their D or D+ status via their parents instead of points than removing all the D's from the lounges as first step to decongest the lounge. The children's status when they reach 18 is their actual status based on the points they have earned while cruising with their parents.

As we do have D's or D+'s who have actually taken only 1 cruise with RCCL, and they get married and have children, it multiplies....

Uh oh, this is going to create a firestorm.

Here you go again, always the same person, what makes you think just by being D+ and not being affected by your suggestion gives you the right the suggest changes affecting others?

I'm 100% sure in case you are D then you won't suggest this change coz of conflict of interest as you will be personally affected as well.

I'm also going to D+ soon by early next year, but it doesn't mean that just because I became D+, I can suggest changes that will affect the D's.

In case you don't know, your suggestion hints of being self serving to those who read this thread.

So you berate Leaveitallbehind for his possible suggestions and then ironically you go on to make your own suggestions.;) Seeing as you are almost D+ it reads as though you want to lessen how many are in there with you. Leaveitallbehind by no means am I complaining about you. I just brought you into this to show the hypocrisy of roquejo.

Myself and my DW are D+ by our earned status and our 8 year old son had inherited it from us. However, on his actual sailings he is D and half way to plus. He will get there in a 2-3 years. I'm not going to complain when my 11 year old who earned his status isn't allowed in at happy hour for his virgin rum and Coke (which would be just Coke;)), because he is under 21. I'm also not going to complain today or tomorrow about who "should deserve" to have their right of lounge use taken away.

It is RC's program and they will do what they want, when they want. I will also add that we our DS has never stepped foot in any D lounge. We went into one lounge for a sailing to visit with the concereige as she is a friend from previous suite sailings but otherwise wo don't go.

For our family the 3 free drink coupons were the best thing, with no lines, no seat saving issues, and we have no worries about who sits beside us. If we need one, which rarely happens, we get one about the ship.

Edited by A&L_Ont

First of all I'm impressed that you think I would have so much pull with RCI. Thank you! But more to the point, if you read my post carefully I say it is my speculation - not a suggestion, as you put it. Very different meaning and if you're going to flame me, please do so accurately.

And honestly, I have no idea what your rant regarding D and D+ status gained through parents v points is all about, but this is clearly is not a concept I've ever posted about. But as A & L_Ont indicates, it certainly sounds like a rather strong suggestion on your part to reduce access to the DL by those who clearly have earned according to RCI. So who is making recommendations now?

Lastly, I have adult children who by being on most of our cruises with us during their younger years have earned every point they have and are now D (and knocking on the door as you are with D+). We enjoy our time together in the DL and any policy change that would potentially impact that would certainly not be something I would advocate. And simply speculating that it might happen is clearly not endorsing it.

But thank you anyway for your response, regardless of its inaccuracy and misinterpretations. And to be clear, I am C & A D+, not D as you incorrectly assume, and have earned every point of it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When we started cruising RCI around 2008 and heard of the different tiers of loyalty, I said we will probably never see Diamond, so lets just have fun and see if we like RCI or go back to Disney.

Now 2016....we became Diamond on our last sailing and this will be reflected on our Upcoming August Allure sailing.

Yea we want to see what is so special about the diamond lounge and others who have sailed RCI to earn this status, and hopefully make some new friends.

If not, it is what it is.

Now I will be saying I will probably never reach D+ so lets just have fun.

On a side note.

Some may be critical of us too.

We have been able to attain Diamond status by sailing in suites with our daughter, and she has sailed every one of our cruises so we also have a 21 y/o diamond with us in the lounge (maybe ---but usually on board she is with her new found friends).

And if we do not like the Diamond lounge we will just travel back to the suite lounge..............because right now we have that option.

To us its not about status, its about having fun.

We only are able to cruise once a year so we go for the gusto with a suite, and when we are able to cruise more often I must have at least a balcony.

Safe travels to all

When we started cruising RCI around 2008 and heard of the different tiers of loyalty, I said we will probably never see Diamond, so lets just have fun and see if we like RCI or go back to Disney.

Now 2016....we became Diamond on our last sailing and this will be reflected on our Upcoming August Allure sailing.

Yea we want to see what is so special about the diamond lounge and others who have sailed RCI to earn this status, and hopefully make some new friends.

If not, it is what it is.

Now I will be saying I will probably never reach D+ so lets just have fun.

On a side note.

Some may be critical of us too.

We have been able to attain Diamond status by sailing in suites with our daughter, and she has sailed every one of our cruises so we also have a 21 y/o diamond with us in the lounge (maybe ---but usually on board she is with her new found friends).

And if we do not like the Diamond lounge we will just travel back to the suite lounge..............because right now we have that option.

To us its not about status, its about having fun.

We only are able to cruise once a year so we go for the gusto with a suite, and when we are able to cruise more often I must have at least a balcony.

Safe travels to all

Congrats on reaching Diamond! Hope you enjoy the DL on Allure. As to your points, you and your daughter have earned every point in RCI's eyes so enjoy! We too have earned our points in suites, standard staterooms, and with the old Diamonds in December program - all per the guidelines of the RCI C & A program. It all counts the same.

Happy cruising!

As I indicated in my reply to the Op, at least once a month this topic comes up and some folks go absolutely berserk with the different tier status going at each other, with vengeance. My suggestions, stay cool and ignore this topic in

the future.

Ps. Still waiting for RCL to announce a new tier between D+ and Pinnacle, but this topic is for another day. LOL

Anyone is free to use our "space" in the DL, it's just not our thing. We won't do any of spookwife's double dipping either because we don't drink.:D Well, I might have a cocktail at dinner once in awhile.;)

How someone gets their status doesn't bother me one way or the other...live and let live. If they've followed the set forth parameters, they are entitled to enjoy whatever lounge.

Congrats on reaching Diamond! Hope you enjoy the DL on Allure. As to your points, you and your daughter have earned every point in RCI's eyes so enjoy! We too have earned our points in suites, standard staterooms, and with the old Diamonds in December program - all per the guidelines of the RCI C & A program. It all counts the same.

Happy cruising!

What a nice caring post.

You made my day.

Thank you

I am so thankful when I see kind posts on CC, from experienced cruisers and not those that bash.

Safe travels

Thanks again.