Children under 6 months

cheerldrmom

We just booked a family cruise on allure of the seas. New rule in past couple of years. No kids under 6 mo. One family member will have a 4 mo old so one parent can't go. Bummer.

Not sure that's a new rule. It's been in place to my memory for quite a while - and 12 months if an itinerary has 3 (or more) consecutive sea days.

Sorry for your family plans, however.

We just booked a family cruise on allure of the seas. New rule in past couple of years. No kids under 6 mo. One family member will have a 4 mo old so one parent can't go. Bummer.

I don't believe this rule has only been in place for a few years...longer than that.

One parent "only" is going...that wouldn't happen with our family :eek::D..they would both stay home until their little one reaches the age of travel

There is no way a ship's infirmary is equipped to handle a seriously ill infant. Should that baby get sick, where are they going to get help? Did the parents not realize this when they booked? Kids grow up fast. Plenty of time for them to book a cruise when the child is older.

Their plan is for one parent to cruise and one stay home?

Edited by sail7seas

I think that has been a rule for a long time. Ships are not equipped to handle pediatric emergencies. There is also a rule for older babies and number of sea days.

I think that has been a rule for a long time. Ships are not equipped to handle pediatric emergencies. There is also a rule for older babies and number of sea days.

....see my post #2 - 12 months is the minimum age for itineraries with 3 (or more) consecutive sea days.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Sail7seas.i agree it's dangerous for the baby We are 27 people going for my dads 85th bday. When mom booked didn't know about rule found out when finalizing cabins so the family member with one child may come. Mom will stay with baby it's up to them whatever they decide. They can both stay home or come and leave baby with her parents it's too bad but too many other people involved to change anything.

Edited by cheerldrmom

Nothing new about that rule, and it was in effect 13 years ago so either OP is mistaken about the dates of the cruise or just making up stuff. The rule applies to all lines.

Edited by zqvol

Doesn't DCL allow infants starting at 3mos ?

Used to. But they changed that when DCL started doing more long/ocean crossing cruises. Their website is a bit confusing about this:

Infants under 12 weeks old are not allowed to travel aboard Disney Cruise Line ships. The minimum age to sail aboard Disney Cruise Line ships is 6 months of age on most itineraries, and the minimum age for Transatlantic, Hawaii, and Panama Canal itineraries is 1 year of age.

I think the sentence about "Infants under 12 weeks old are not allowed to travel aboard Disney Cruise Line ships", is a left over from the original policy.

Since the next sentence says definitely "The minimum age to saild aboard........is 6 months......" I think they're covered.

Sail7seas.i agree it's dangerous for the baby We are 27 people going for my dads 85th bday. When mom booked didn't know about rule found out when finalizing cabins so the family member with one child may come. Mom will stay with baby it's up to them whatever they decide. They can both stay home or come and leave baby with her parents it's too bad but too many other people involved to change anything.

Of course, your whole family cannot change their plans.

Hope all have a wonderful celebration and the new parents with baby will cruise another day.

I wonder if most pediatricians would approve a baby that young going on a cruise ship? It's just a question as I truly don't know the answer. If the ships do not consider it safe, do most pediatricians?

Edited by sail7seas

Your family is much nicer than I would be. Even if it were my father's birthday, with the big to do, if I had a 4 month old baby, my response would be to have a good time, we'll catch up when you return and none of my "family" would be going.

I guess it depends on the reason behind the cruise and the length. For 3 or 4 days the baby will survive just fine without you. For 10 days I probably wouldn't do it. However, if this is a family where you are close and this will be the last trip for a family member that might come into play too. If (and I'm not saying this is the case) the father is sick and doesn't have long to live then that could be part of the decision and leaving one parent at home while the child honors this time with the parent is a whole different ball game.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Of course, your whole family cannot change their plans.

Hope all have a wonderful celebration and the new parents with baby will cruise another day.

I wonder if most pediatricians would approve a baby that young going on a cruise ship? It's just a question as I truly don't know the answer. If the ships do not consider it safe, do most pediatricians?

I am a pedi, and absolutely NOT. Not only is there the concern of infectious diseases and lack of pediatric emergent care (i don't even send my patients to non pediatric ERs! They are NOT little adults!), what is the ship sinks? What if there's an issue like Triumph had a couple of years ago? Nope,

Nope. Nope.

We didn't take our youngest on a cruise until last year, when she was 3+ and potty trained! (And had an overly prepared pediatrician Mom along too!)

Edited by Starflyr3

What a wonderful way to celebrate your dad's 85 birthday.

Sorry there is a problem with the 4th month old baby. Hope the couple can work something out to be able to cruise.

I know it's bad timing but at 85 you don't know how much time someone will be around luckily the dad is the immediate family member so he may take the older child and mom will stay with baby. It's a crappy situation but there are 26 other people to consider too. Well time will tell what they decide