Rumor about new policy that cash tips are shared by entire crew

chamima

But those who are going to scam are going to scam. Several years ago I had someone approach me in a parking lot with a sob story about he and his wife having to take their son to the ER the previous night and their car - a black one that was just far enough away you couldn't really tell if there was someone in it - had run out of gas on the way home. I had no money with me and told him so. Well, surprise, surprise - when I went to get lunch for the church staff, he was working the drive-through line with the same story only it was a 4 year old daughter and a red car. I looked him straight in the eye and said "Wasn't it a black car and three year old son this morning at the post office?" He took off running so he wouldn't get caught by the cops he knew would come as soon as I got to the window and told them what was going on.

Nowhere to run on the cruise ship though. This may be cruel, but I would a) not have believed him the first time and b) have been straight out guest services to report him when I saw him doing the same song and dance on the following cruise. That kind of behavior needs to be reported.

I always try to listen politely, but I do not encourage the "sad sack" tales that we occasionally hear from the crew. We do tip well, but it's for good service, not hard-luck stories. :rolleyes:

Your parking lot story gave me chills. I was once accosted by a young woman in the parking lot of our local supermarket. She was allegedly passing through our town, when her car broke down -- leaving her stranded. When I gave her directions to the nearby police station, she started screaming and cursing at me. :eek:

This came up on our Eclipse cruise we just returned from. We asked about giving tips to certain people at Luminae and were told that all extra tips given would be shared among all Luminae staff. Everyone was great there so we still gave an extra something to them.

In the spa I asked my masseuse about tipping above the automatic gratuity as I had her for 3 treatments over the 14 days. She said the automatic gratuity was pooled among all spa staff but an extra would go to the person who gave the treatment. I know they are a contracted entity to Celebrity though so their rules may be different.

This came up on our Eclipse cruise we just returned from. We asked about giving tips to certain people at Luminae and were told that all extra tips given would be shared among all Luminae staff. Everyone was great there so we still gave an extra something to them.

In the spa I asked my masseuse about tipping above the automatic gratuity as I had her for 3 treatments over the 14 days. She said the automatic gratuity was pooled among all spa staff but an extra would go to the person who gave the treatment. I know they are a contracted entity to Celebrity though so their rules may be different.

Thank you!

This was exactly what i was asking about - someone with a personal recent experience.

Glad to hear that the rumor was not true.

When we were in Blu, I gave extra envelopes and was told that tips were pooled among staff. I saw them put the envelopes in a particular area. I specify asked our stateroom attendant and he shares extra tips with his assistant. This all seems fair.

We too cruised Aqua in December and were told by our wonderful waiter and assistant that they are now pooling their tips. They were lovely and had no reason not to be honest as others have indicated.

Edited by lovey1103

We too cruised Aqua in December and were told by our wonderful waiter and assistant that they are now pooling their tips. They were lovely and had no reason not to be honest as others have indicated.

But pooling within Blu - not the whole ship - right?

Wow. Just, wow. That guy is clearly banking on people not knowing how the contracts operate. Unless Celebrity is VERY different from other cruiselines, there IS airfare home and back from vacations provided (part of the salary may be held in escrow for it, but I'm not sure) as part of the contracts each crew member signs.

My understanding is the for officers, the cruise line pays for their flight to the ship as well as home.

For others, such as the service staff, the cruise provides their ticket home, but not to the ship. The cruise will arrange their ticket to the ship for them, but they have to pay for it. A number of the severs have told us that they can often find less expensive tickets than the cruise line can get them, but not always.

One cleaner a couple of years ago had actually had to take out a loan to reach the ship for his first contract.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of the times we were in Blu, tips were pooled between all of the staff. Luminae on the Eclipse were sharing as well. Maitre d kept a list of who gave what so that the waiters knew who gave and how much .

This is our first cruise in a suite on the Silhouette and wonder how you are seated in the Luminae restaurant? My husband and I prefer a table for two and when we had a suite on a Princess cruise, we were given a table for the entire cruise that was ours to eat whenever we wished. It was a table for four, so we could invite other cruisers if we wished. Is the food substantially the same as the MDR, or completely different. Is it similar to Blu? Thanks for info.

Trish

I tip as usual, paying cruise lines Service Fee.

I also tip in cash if I get exceptional service. I also let that person know that they did a great job and if the opportunity arises I let their superior know while onboard.

I have written notes to superiors while on board and I have been contacted by superiors to thank me for taking the time to let them know.

What abt extra cash tip to sommelier in BLU who gives great service for the entire cruise?

He shoud get to keep it

I agree he earned your tip. The cruise line has a policy of 'suggested' tipping that I am sure is divided up base on a scale.

Edited by shipshape sam

This is our first cruise in a suite on the Silhouette and wonder how you are seated in the Luminae restaurant? My husband and I prefer a table for two and when we had a suite on a Princess cruise, we were given a table for the entire cruise that was ours to eat whenever we wished. It was a table for four, so we could invite other cruisers if we wished. Is the food substantially the same as the MDR, or completely different. Is it similar to Blu? Thanks for info.

Trish

Not sure this really fits on this thread but here's my take on Luminae, but only for the Eclipse as this was our first suite experience and we've learned each ship can vary greatly. Our butler made our reservations each evening for us since they suggested reservations if you want to eat during the popular times, i.e., between 6:30 and 7:30. We asked for a table for two since we didn't care to share and were not seated at the same table every time.

If you don't have reservations, they would seat you as you entered and you may not get the 'arrangement' you preferred. Don't know if you can 'reserve' a table for 4 if there's just 2 of you. Two nights there were 4 of us and there was no problem getting a table for 4 instead of our 'reserved' table for 2.

The food was distinctively different than our previous experiences in the MDR or our one previous experience in Blu. Luminae was amazing. The service was amazing. We were spoiled. But take this with a grain of salt as everyone's opinions/experiences vary greatly.

I had seen that any additional cash tips given had to be 'turned in' so they'd be shared. Having read this, I once asked a crew member who was a bartender about this policy. I explained I felt that a tip given to them for their personal service should be able to be kept and not mandated by the company to be shared. They said it was their option to share and they'd share with the rest in their 'group' not everyone. I truly hope this is the case.

We've had excellent service most of the time by all areas, i.e., stateroom attendants, dining room waiters, etc., but at times we've had mediocre service. We've never requested to have any gratuity charges to be removed. We just didn't give above the 'standard'.

Who cares???? You get quoted a price for the cruise... they even INCLUDE the gratuity! Do you know what the captain makes? Do you care what the talent coordinator in land makes? If the price is acceptable, go ahead and take the trip. If you were happy with the service and you want to go above and beyond, tip more. How that tip is distributed frankly is none of our business.

When I go to the dentist and I pay for a cleaning, I don't get indignant wondering how much of that cost when to the hygienist who did all the work as opposed to the dentist who employs him or her.

I tip on and off the cruise how I want. I was in Madeira, Portugal for 20 days and had great service at a local restaurant. Yes I left tips. I dont care how it gets divided up. On the other hand I do care what the wages are at Walmart, Safeway, restaurants, maids, bellman, doorman. When I stay in a hotel I tip the maid each day and the bellman to bring my bags to the room. My dentist seems to be doing less work in my mouth and more just overseeing the work.

Trish

You are seated at whatever table is available when you arrive at the restaurant. The tables are mainly for 2 but they can move several together if needed. The restaurant is in two areas, one nearer to the entrance with the other behind a partition. We were always in the more forward area as there was always space there around 8.30. The food is completely different from the main dinning room. If you don't like anything, speak to the waiter as they provided items from the MDR menu for my wife several times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was what we were always told when we started in AQ, but as time moved on, there were times where.certain staff members did not add tips to the pool.

Dining room/wait staff have pooled their tips for some time, its not uncommon.

Also in some areas where tipping isn't as common (salons, youth centers, etc) they also pool tips. But generally attendants & room service do not, and man do they ever rake in the cash. When I worked on P&O the cabin steward on my floor would bring in almost $2000 a cruise in tips !

Tipping is such a personal thing. Some people tip at the beginning hoping to get better service/drinks/etc. Others tip midway. Others tip at the end. Unfortunately some not at all.

Every cruise we "opt out" of the automated gratuities and get the "envelopes" instead. The automatic tips include an "other" category which includes many back of house functions. The cruise line should reward those staff members directly in their pay. It should not be the onus of the passenger. I would think a cabin steward (who knows tips are part of their compensation) should earn a lower hourly rate than the person below decks washing and drying sheets and towels.

We usually tip above the suggested amount for everyone. The only exception is that we rarely tip the Maitr D unless he/she has actually done something during the cruise [Our past experience has been the only time you'd see them was on the last night of the cruise (tip night)]. If it is true that X takes the cash away from the recipient we will have to re-think our tipping strategy. Keeping the automatic tips then giving additional money to select staff (which is only going into the tip pool any way) seems like a penalty to the staff member.

We had the rare nightly six top in Blu on Jan 11 EQ trip and sat at the same table every night were there...and got the same excellent team of Jorge and Denis. We tipped extra as they were fantastic (especially since Jorge was finishing his contract and heading home to Honduras to see his wife and kids). I would be very disappointed to learn that the "handshake" we exchanged would have to be shared among others.

I was under the impression that extra cash tips were not shared with other staff members. On our recent cruise, we were in Select Dining with the prepaid tips. WE had a fabulous cabin attendant and ate with the same waiter on 12 out of 14 nights. Waiter was truly outstanding. The other nights, we ate at a table with the world's worst waiter once and at the buffet on the other. We tipped the waiter and the cabin attendant in cash at the end of the cruise. They really deserved the extra tips. I would hate to think that our extra tips went to the world's worst waiter. After reading this thread, I am wondering whether or not I will continue to extend extra tips to staff who really deserve them. On other cruise lines, tipping may be pooled. I was on Viking recently, tips are charged to our bill and distributed to everyone. I asked our cabin attendant if she could keep any extra tip. She said that she could keep it as long as it was in cash. Seems fair. I would really like to have Celebrity respond to this thread.

Tipping is such a personal thing. Some people tip at the beginning hoping to get better service/drinks/etc. Others tip midway. Others tip at the end. Unfortunately some not at all.

Every cruise we "opt out" of the automated gratuities and get the "envelopes" instead. The automatic tips include an "other" category which includes many back of house functions. The cruise line should reward those staff members directly in their pay. It should not be the onus of the passenger. I would think a cabin steward (who knows tips are part of their compensation) should earn a lower hourly rate than the person below decks washing and drying sheets and towels.

We usually tip above the suggested amount for everyone. The only exception is that we rarely tip the Maitr D unless he/she has actually done something during the cruise [Our past experience has been the only time you'd see them was on the last night of the cruise (tip night)]. If it is true that X takes the cash away from the recipient we will have to re-think our tipping strategy. Keeping the automatic tips then giving additional money to select staff (which is only going into the tip pool any way) seems like a penalty to the staff member.

I too..did not see any reason to tip the maitre'd unless he did something special for me, but it was brought to my attention that if everything is running smoothly in the dining room it is part due to his effort and just because he is not always visible does not mean he isn't doing his job well and making sure everything is as it should be.

Perfect example of why the cruise lines should just make it a mandatory service charge. The hard working not visible staff (other) would have the auto tips as part of their compensation are being stiffed basically because you do not like the cruise line's process. Your right of course.

I believe they are pooled, but, it is not common knowledge. Otherwise, people would be less inclined to tip extra knowing that the particular person does not get to keep ALL of it. Just my opinion. I agree, the service gratuity should be mandatory!

Marie

I believe they are pooled, but, it is not common knowledge. Otherwise, people would be less inclined to tip extra knowing that the particular person does not get to keep ALL of it. Just my opinion. I agree, the service gratuity should be mandatory!

Marie

I think you are correct in the not traditional dining areas.

I so agree with you, who cares??? And then I thumped myself on the head for even clicking on another tipping thread. :p

Just administering a physical self-admonishment for the same reason .................. ah, yes,.... a slap on the back of the head never felt so welcome or well deserved.

If only all the world's cruise lines were run by the Japanese, to whom offering any sort of tip is tantamount to an insult. They are just happy to offer excellent service in exchange for a thank you and a decent wage. But I'm sure someone would start a thread complaining that western values had gone to the dogs.