Off topic but a RCCL ship is stuck in the massive Atlantic Ocean storm

sppunk

Anthem of the Seas is in serious trouble, the captain made a what seems to be terrible decision and sailed directly into the intensifying storm.

Live thread starts here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312327

"We are on the Anthem right now, left NY yesterday, we sailed in a storm that intensified very quickly, Captain tried to turn ship but waited too long. We have been stuck in 125+ mph winds 30+ foot waves for 4 hours. Captain said they are in communication with the coast guard, struggling to point ship into wind but can't move forward. All passengers told to stay in cabins water entered ship on upper decks, large white structure broke off top of ship landed in pool. At the height of storm waves breaking above the top of life boats and ship listing almost 45 degrees, with wind looked like a total white out. Conditions are improving but damage all over ship, crew look concerned and sounded very concerned on intracom. Some passengers sitting in muster stations."

Sometimes, Nature does unexpected things.

I am absolutely, 100% sure that the Navigation Officers and Cpatain did not put their vessel into harms way on purpose.

They must have interpreted the weather and forcasts and plot a route accordingly.

Alas, sometimes, forcasts are simply wrong and conditions detoriate rapidly.

Unfortunately, in January this is a common occurence on the North Atlantic.

It is very easy to critisize the crew from our computers, but they are dealing with the results if their decisions right now, and to,the best of their capabilities.

We all make mistakes, constantly. Me too, and I am responsible for a 400million $ piece of machinery made in Seattle. It is how you recognize and solve your mistakes as a team that makes you professional.

If you look at AIS Vessel tracking you could have seen at least 60 other ships in the same immediate area... including EURODAM and Nw AMSTERDAM.

Amsterdam?? I thought she was in the Pacific with the World Cruisers arriving in Melbourne :confused:

Edited by kazu

I was just reading that thread. Truly scary.

I have a whole new appreciation for what the Captain and crew of the Ryndam handled overnight on the New Year's Cruise 2013/2014 when we hit 50 ft seas returning across the Gulf of Mexico. We had had our vow renewal thst evening and he told us that the storm was not on the charts. Then it got much, much worse. It was early morning when I woke and prayed DD and DS would stay asleep as I was pulling zero Gs in bed like we were on a high roller-coaster that just didn't end.

I cannot imagine experiencing something like that during the day. The Club Hal staff said they were tossed out of their beds and had to sit on the floor.

If you look at AIS Vessel tracking you could have seen at least 60 other ships in the same immediate area... including EURODAM and Nw AMSTERDAM.

Not last night during the storm. This was off the coast of the NC/SC border.

Eurodam was no where near, she was just leaving FLL to head to the Caribbean. Anthem was sailing from NJ to Port Canaveral.

Anthem of the Seas is in serious trouble, the captain made a what seems to be terrible decision and sailed directly into the intensifying storm.

Live thread starts here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312327

"We are on the Anthem right now, left NY yesterday, we sailed in a storm that intensified very quickly, Captain tried to turn ship but waited too long. We have been stuck in 125+ mph winds 30+ foot waves for 4 hours. Captain said they are in communication with the coast guard, struggling to point ship into wind but can't move forward. All passengers told to stay in cabins water entered ship on upper decks, large white structure broke off top of ship landed in pool. At the height of storm waves breaking above the top of life boats and ship listing almost 45 degrees, with wind looked like a total white out. Conditions are improving but damage all over ship, crew look concerned and sounded very concerned on intracom. Some passengers sitting in muster stations."

Seeing as how no one responded to your earlier thread here we go again. Before jumping to conclusions and slandering the Capt., perhaps you should just stick to the facts.:( Such as this ship and there are others in this same storm. Until you have been a Capt of a large ship or in charge of anything please just stick to the facts, do not second guess what you do not know. Above all pray for the safety of all aboard said ship.

Seeing as how no one responded to your earlier thread here we go again. Before jumping to conclusions and slandering the Capt., perhaps you should just stick to the facts.:( Such as this ship and there are others in this same storm. Until you have been a Capt of a large ship or in charge of anything please just stick to the facts, do not second guess what you do not know. Above all pray for the safety of all aboard said ship.

I'm not slandering anyone, I'm not calling anyone out. You can have a bad decision in hindsight (however this cruise IMO should have deviated to Bermuda or Canada, this storm was forecast to bomb as it did).

But no there were no other cruise ships in this storm whatsoever. Anthem was alone off the coast of the Carolinas when she was unable to move due to the wind/wave action.

From all accounts her crew did as great as a job as they could to keep her as stable as possible.

It'd be interesting to see how the QM2 would've handled that storm!

It'd be interesting to see how the QM2 would've handled that storm!

After reading all the comments from the passengers aboard the Anthem, I do feel better about these huge cruise ships, aka floating resorts, being able to withstand really bad storms.

After reading all the comments from the passengers aboard the Anthem, I do feel better about these huge cruise ships, aka floating resorts, being able to withstand really bad storms.

The structural engineering behind them is insane, isn't it? I think most cruise ship engineers say they can sustain an up to 55 degree list and remain buoyant which is beyond my wildest imagination (and hope to never experience!).

Anthem is Quantum class, not Oasis Class.

Neither class have lifejackets in cabins, they are all at the lifeboats.

I actually agree with this approach, I think lifeboats in cabins is a pretty silly idea. In an emergency everyone racing to a cabin for a lifeboat is a logistical nightmare. I remember reading a safety report after Concordia in that it led to a slower evacuation because traffic jams with people going to cabins were blocking people going to their muster stations.

Edit: Lifejacket, not lifeboats. A lifeboat in a cabin wouldn't give much room to do anything!

Edited by sppunk