Off topic but a RCCL ship is stuck in the massive Atlantic Ocean storm

sppunk

Neither class has lifeboats in cabins, they are all at the lifeboats.

I actually agree with this approach, I think lifeboats in cabins is a pretty silly idea. In an emergency everyone racing to a cabin for a lifeboat is a logistical nightmare. I remember reading a safety report after Concordia in that it led to a slower evacuation because traffic jams with people going to cabins were blocking people going to their muster stations.

I'm laughing at the thought of life boats in all cabins. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyways, I can't say I'm totally on board with the Oasis approach. I understand their concern with dangling straps, people going back to cabins, etc, but I still don't see why that stops them from putting life jackets in cabins as an added measure. Disasters don't tend to be perfect scenarios and in the case of Concordia, several people had to jump and swim ashore, and numerous others got stranded on the exterior of the hull. I pray it never happens, but imagine a fire that prevents people from getting to the lifeboats, similar to Star Princess.

Unless the Captain is showing off for his GF or some other human error, the ships we sail on are pretty well set up to make it through nearly anything short of Godzilla or an explosion. Still, to be on something going such an event (the storm and not Godzilla), remembering it is built to withstand such events can be a challenge!

Life jackets available at muster station good idea. Lifejackets in cabin also a good idea. This means cruise co. would have to invest $$$ in more jackets. Wondering what the cost of lawsuits would be if people could not make it to muster station were forced to jump or fell in and drowned

On several ships that I have been on, I've been told that while there are life jackets in the cabins, there are also a good number of extra life jackets at the muster stations and in lockers on deck near the lifeboats. I'm sure this is done with forethought assuming not everyone may be able to return to their cabin in an emergency.

I'm laughing at the thought of life boats in all cabins. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyways, I can't say I'm totally on board with the Oasis approach. I understand their concern with dangling straps, people going back to cabins, etc, but I still don't see why that stops them from putting life jackets in cabins as an added measure. Disasters don't tend to be perfect scenarios and in the case of Concordia, several people had to jump and swim ashore, and numerous others got stranded on the exterior of the hull. I pray it never happens, but imagine a fire that prevents people from getting to the lifeboats, similar to Star Princess.

You won't get an argument from me! Having them in both makes sense, but if you're only going to have them in one place I see their point. But yeah, why not both?

Smaller ships can handle seas and wind better; smaller profile.

We were on Oceania's Regetta Nov14, 630 passengers. We experienced 30 ft seas and 75 knot winds for 24 hours between Bermuda and US. Instead of heading due west to Charleston, the Captain pointed the ship directly into the winds at 8 knots and we arrived in Port Carnival.

The ride was not bad, dinner was interesting with plates and glasses dancing across the table every time we head a big wave and water hitting the window from the waves at their Crows Nest.

We had high seas on an Antarctic expedition (small ship) and when the seas were really high, the waiters would wet down the tablecloths to prevent dishes from sliding - also, no saucers for cups, and the cutlery was wrapped in the napkins. Very interesting stuff!

Hopefully, all's well that ends well, and they make it safely to port.

Well, I have serious doubts regarding not having livevests in the cabins.

My opinion obviously differs from RCCL, but stowing lifevests near lifeboats does NOT mean that they will be accessible in case of an emergency. think about fire

As just one example.

Stowing lots of lifesaving equipment in one area is not a god idea.

Someone mentioned the chaos of passengers moving first to their cabins and then to their assembly stations...well, how does,RCCL think things will go when 200 to 300 passengers ( remember Oasis lifeboats have a much higher capacity) will try and grab, potentially in a panic, their lifevest?!

HAL's procedure is in most areas very solid, except for a flawed roll call ( should be automatic using scanners for cruisecards), thankfully this is heing implemented right now.

I do think that Assembly stations should be central and protected from the elements, with secondary stations on outside decks. This because contrary to popular belief, an assembly station and thus passenger should NOT be automatically linked to a lifeboat. Assignment should always be dependent on ACTUAL conditions.

Just my personal view.

We had high seas on an Antarctic expedition (small ship) and when the seas were really high, the waiters would wet down the tablecloths to prevent dishes from sliding - also, no saucers for cups, and the cutlery was wrapped in the napkins. Very interesting stuff!

Hopefully, all's well that ends well, and they make it safely to port.

This was standard practice onboard the Classic liners in case of inclement weather conditions :)

... the waiters would wet down the tablecloths to prevent dishes from sliding - also, no saucers for cups, and the cutlery was wrapped in the napkins.
On DW's first ship, the Queen of Bermuda, there were small ridges around the edges of the tables to keep things from sliding off.

On DW's first ship, the Queen of Bermuda, there were small ridges around the edges of the tables to keep things from sliding off.

When I first started cruising in the 1970s -- before stablilizers -- the Sitmar ships had flaps on the table that could be raised to prevent dishes sliding off during bad weather.

I remember thinking it was funny watching the peas roll around on the table.

well, this is interesting.

News report this morning that the ship is heading back and authorities are asking why the ship left port since the storm was forecast and an investigation has been requested. only heard on one news station so far - very few details.

well, this is interesting.

News report this morning that the ship is heading back and authorities are asking why the ship left port since the storm was forecast and an investigation has been requested. only heard on one news station so far - very few details.

I will not post this in the RCCL thread but they should have never sailed south. The storm WAS forecast to bomb. It was forecast to hit 90 knots. OK so not the 130 knots it reached but they still sailed into a storm that was the equivalent to a strengthening cat 1 hurricane, head on.

They could have sat in port an extra day and half and been fine. The reason turn around was crazy too - a LP off Jacksonvillle was not modeled to be a strengthen system like the Captain explains apparently.

Someone erred, be it Miami headquarters, a captain, shoreside in Nj, someone.

I will not post this in the RCCL thread but they should have never sailed south. The storm WAS forecast to bomb. It was forecast to hit 90 knots. OK so not the 130 knots it reached but they still sailed into a storm that was the equivalent to a strengthening cat 1 hurricane, head on.

They could have sat in port an extra day and half and been fine. The reason turn around was crazy too - a LP off Jacksonvillle was not modeled to be a strengthen system like the Captain explains apparently.

Someone erred, be it Miami headquarters, a captain, shoreside in Nj, someone.

Good idea not to, I read that thread over there and it made the smoking/tipping threads here look tame;)