What's really included?

reilly1

Everyone is focusing on the included alcohol - mixers matter as well. On the Journey recently (enjoying Gordons and Schweppes tonic as included) until we hit N Australia. They got a resupply of mixers and the tonic was AWFUL. (called Royal or something like that). Kudos to the bar staff who knew me - they let me know if they had found some Schweppes tonic - great service!

Everyone is focusing on the included alcohol - mixers matter as well. On the Journey recently (enjoying Gordons and Schweppes tonic as included) until we hit N Australia. They got a resupply of mixers and the tonic was AWFUL. (called Royal or something like that). Kudos to the bar staff who knew me - they let me know if they had found some Schweppes tonic - great service!

I totally agree and was just talking about this at the weekend. I too was on a cruise which had Schweppes and the bar staff stashed a bit away for me in case it ran out (I was on the ship for more than one cruise), which it did. It went back to the Royal Club which I also think is awful.

I apologise if this has been addressed before, but I am a newbie to Azamara (total Celebrity S-Class junkie!). We are booked on the Journey 4th June Athens to Rome in a veranda stateroom.

My TA tells me that Azamara is "all-inclusive". I know that there are also premium packages, but I think we will be happy with what is included, as long as there is decent wine available, G&T and the odd cocktail.

What I am unsure about is whether water and speciality teas/coffees (Mosaic Café) are included too. It would seem odd to offer unlimited alcohol, yet charge for water, tea and coffee.

I hope somebody can clarify this for me please.

One thing that I enjoyed on my last cruise and it was free was sparkling water - also called seltzer.

DON

Royal tonic....it's just horrible and completely ruins a G&T and I don't even like Schweppes much either. Fevertree or Fentiman's are the best tonics by far.....as you know Phil. ;)

Why cruise lines persist with Royal Tonic just baffles me, its vile. As Fevertree promote "if 3/4 of a gin and tonic is tonic, mix it with the best"

A vodka and coke drinker gets Coca-Cola, why cant the G&T drinker get Schweppes? ( Fevertree would be a dream come true)

One thing that I enjoyed on my last cruise and it was free was sparkling water - also called seltzer.

DON

Hi donaldsc,

the discussion of Royal tonic v.v. Schwepps tonic comes up regularly, especially notable during our winter sailings in/around Asia. I'm sure someone has statistics on how many G&T's are served by geographic location! :cocktail:

Royal tonic....it's just horrible and completely ruins a G&T and I don't even like Schweppes much either. Fevertree or Fentiman's are the best tonics by far.....as you know Phil. ;)

Got to agree about Fevertree tonic - it is the mutts nuts with Sipsmiths, Tanqueray etc.. It was the only decent thing on our BA flight back from Sydney (well - not crashing was good I suppose:rolleyes:)

Hi donaldsc,

the discussion of Royal tonic v.v. Schwepps tonic comes up regularly, especially notable during our winter sailings in/around Asia. I'm sure someone has statistics on how many G&T's are served by geographic location! :cocktail:

Bonnie, please pass these comments on to the F&B buyers. For some of us Brits it is close to a deal-breaker. I will admit to having a serious melt-down when I got my first G&T with that Royal Club stuff - the poor barman's face was priceless (I did apologize the next day BTW).:o

It is these little touches which make the difference.

Bonnie, please pass these comments on to the F&B buyers. For some of us Brits it is close to a deal-breaker. I will admit to having a serious melt-down when I got my first G&T with that Royal Club stuff - the poor barman's face was priceless (I did apologize the next day BTW).:o

It is these little touches which make the difference.

A couple of years ago our first stop after leaving Malaga was Gibraltar. The advisor and I made sure we dropped into Morrison's and cleared the shelves of the last 36 tins of Schweppes. That evening at Discoveries bar I handed a case of twelve to the bar man, and an additional two for our first gins. There was a passenger from Germany standing at the bar and the look on her face was equally priceless.

The bar man gave us a wink, just to say he knew they were ours.

I think I might just bring some Fevertree with me next month. After you've tasted it Schweppes seems meh

Couldn't agree more Ann. Had great G&T's last weekend in Dublin. Irish Glendalough gin with Mediterranean Fever Tree tonic, lime and redcurrants.

Absolutely delicious.

I don't drink G & Ts often so have no axe to grind here, but the discussion did pique my curiosity. So I googled "best tonic water" and went to five web sites where a supposedly experienced panel judged G & Ts made with different tonics.

There were five different "winners" in the five comparisons. Schweppes (presumably the less-sweet UK version, as it was done by the Telegraph), Canada Dry, Fevertree, Fentiman's, and Q Tonic. Some of the comments from the supposed experts were interesting:

Fevertree - "Of the five tonics this one had the lowest amount of carbonation which made it taste a little on the flat side. The taste was pretty sour with an undercurrent of sweet."

Fentiman's - "Way too sweet with overbearing citrus notes. Fentiman's made our G & T taste like an alcoholic 7up."

Canada Dry - "Perhaps the sweetest of the tonics, Canada Dry G & T was closest to sipping a soda and gin."

Schweppes - "Much sharper than the Canada Dry or Q Tonic. May be to too sharp and much more bitter than sweet. Not bad, but probably more suited for people who are looking for more bite in their G & Ts."

Q Tonic - "...seemed to let the juniper notes shine the brightest...a little sour and sharp but not too bitter...an extremely enjoyable G & T."

Canada Dry - "...seemed balanced, with enough bitterness and a punch of citrus flavor to offset the sweetness...refreshing, sweet up front, with smooth bitterness on the finish."

Schweppes - "I actually prefer the Fentiman's but the Schweppes just tastes more classic." "It's just what tonic water should taste like."

Fentiman's - "...didn't make for a balanced G & T...too overpoweringly sweet and lemony when mixed with Tanqueray...perhaps a different gin would work better."

Schweppes (probably the US version) - "...lacked complexity...too sweet...one-dimensional G & T."

So...given all of this, how does Azamara please everyone? Other than deep-sixing Royal, an apparently universal opinion, which to choose...and that on top of everyone's differing preferences in gin?

I don't know who did that taste test marinaro but they are plain wrong! I drink Hendricks, Martin Miller, Sipsmith and Tanqueray 10 gin....not all at once...:D and would not dream of putting anything but Fever Tree or Fentiman's in my G&T. It is not flat at all but simply the best tonic and is recommended by all good gin manufacturer's.

Azamara's Royal tonic is an abomination and ruins any G&T onboard.

We are also big fans of Sipsmiths. We actually have unopened bottles of batch no. 1 of both their gin and vodka (they did not keep any of their first batch). It took some will power to keep them 'virgo intacta':D.

Sometimes a thread will lead into a discussion that, despite initially seeming rather arcane to me, elicits great passions and becomes surprisingly interesting.

Until now, I must confess, my knowledge of gin was in the context of Gin Lane (Hogarth), "Mother's Ruin", rather rootless individuals from the Colonial Ofiice gathered on a verandah in sweltering climes and, more positively, the Queen Mother's cocktail and Olivia William's recent book, "Gin Glorious Gin".

I must try one on board and, of course, if possible it will be with Canada Dry. :D

And to improve my mental imagery of the drink, I have started another thread. When I indulge for the first time, what is the most appropriate location on the ship?

Sometimes a thread will lead into a discussion that, despite initially seeming rather arcane to me, elicits great passions and becomes surprisingly interesting.

Until now, I must confess, my knowledge of gin was in the context of Gin Lane (Hogarth), "Mother's Ruin", rather rootless individuals from the Colonial Ofiice gathered on a verandah in sweltering climes and, more positively, the Queen Mother's cocktail and Olivia William's recent book, "Gin Glorious Gin".

I must try one on board and, of course, if possible it will be with Canada Dry. :D

And to improve my mental imagery of the drink, I have started another thread. When I indulge for the first time, what is the most appropriate location on the ship?

Best place to drink is the sunset bar!

Sent from my iPad using Forums