Call from Royal

We've gotten a few of those. Sometimes they are just before a cruise, and I think it's an upgrade call, but no, it's just thanking us for cruising with them.

Speaking of upgrade/upsell calls... what area code do they come from?

My last one came from area code 855

From answers.com:

"Area code 855 is a non-geographic area code, meaning that it is not associated with any particular city, state, province, or country. Area code 855 is a toll-free number, joining the list of 800, 888, 877, 866, and 844 toll-free numbers. Area codes 833 and 822 are reserved for future toll-free numbers."

If the upgrade fairy calls, do they leave a message? I always screen my calls and never answer if I do not know the number. :(

I always answer calls a month or so prior to sailing. If it's a telemarketer, just hang up. Unfortunately, I have never been upgraded, only got the Bon Voyage fairy call. It's still exciting for the first 15 seconds.

If the upgrade fairy calls, do they leave a message? I always screen my calls and never answer if I do not know the number. :(

We screen calls too these days. We get 4-5 calls/day and I am sick of them. If I don't recognize the number and no id is given, then I don't answer. If they don't leave a message, I immediately block that number:rolleyes:.

Royal just called to thank us for vacationing with them. That was a surprise since this will be our 25th RCI cruise. Something new or random?

We thought it was a nice touch.

To each his own I guess. I despise calls like that. E-mails or texts, sure, but I'm young enough that I find actual phone calls intrusive outside of work.

I've never received a call from the upgrade or upsell fairy, but I think it's worth cautioning about possible scam calls.

I would not give out personal information or a credit card number over the phone to somebody who is calling me, versus me calling them (back) at a phone number known to belong to RCI (or any other organization I'm dealing with).

Caller ID information is easily spoofed, so I wouldn't go by what call display on the phone shows. For example, I frequently receive scammy "free vacation" calls on my cell phone, and CLID always shows the same area code and local exchange as my number, perhaps to make me think it's a local call and I should accept it. But nobody I know has the same area code and exchange as me, so they're pretty much guaranteed to be a scammer.

I've never received a call from the upgrade or upsell fairy, but I think it's worth cautioning about possible scam calls.

I would not give out personal information or a credit card number over the phone to somebody who is calling me, versus me calling them (back) at a phone number known to belong to RCI (or any other organization I'm dealing with).

Caller ID information is easily spoofed, so I wouldn't go by what call display on the phone shows. For example, I frequently receive scammy "free vacation" calls on my cell phone, and CLID always shows the same area code and local exchange as my number, perhaps to make me think it's a local call and I should accept it. But nobody I know has the same area code and exchange as me, so they're pretty much guaranteed to be a scammer.

Good points however, if they quote the cruise booking reference I think that would be proof enough.:D

Good points however, if they quote the cruise booking reference I think that would be proof enough.:D

Probably, but a criminal skilled in social engineering might be able to get someone to divulge the reservation ID themselves, "just to confirm". The criminal could engage in pretexting by gathering information from CC, an intended victim's social media accounts, etc. to find out what they've booked and when.

From there, the criminal could smooth-talk the potential victim who's already excited about their vacation and the possibility of a low-cost stateroom upgrade, get them all turned about mentally, and hand over their credit card details.

An unfortunate fact is that seniors are often susceptible to scams, and seniors make up a large part of the cruising demographic (though by no means are non-seniors immune). So I thought it would be helpful to mention for everyone to consider. Trying to do an act of public service :)

Probably, but a criminal skilled in social engineering might be able to get someone to divulge the reservation ID themselves, "just to confirm". The criminal could engage in pretexting by gathering information from CC, an intended victim's social media accounts, etc. to find out what they've booked and when.

From there, the criminal could smooth-talk the potential victim who's already excited about their vacation and the possibility of a low-cost stateroom upgrade, get them all turned about mentally, and hand over their credit card details.

An unfortunate fact is that seniors are often susceptible to scams, and seniors make up a large part of the cruising demographic (though by no means are non-seniors immune). So I thought it would be helpful to mention for everyone to consider. Trying to do an act of public service :)

Definitely agree, my point was that if they have the booking number then that should be proof they are legit.:D