Cancelling prepaid gratuities

Sars81

Does anyone have info on if we can cancel our prepaid gratuities and pay as we go on board?

I know you can request to cancel the gratuities when you board but wondering if you can still do this if you have pre paid them?

We have just returned from a cruise and were very disappointed with the service and the expectations from staff to be tipped even though we had already pre paid our gratuities.

We are going on another on voyager in a few weeks and we have already pre paid once again but would like to cancel this and pay as we go for great service.

If you were having unsatisfactory service, did you bring it to someone's attention? That's what I would have done!

The staff doesn't know if you've pre-paid until the end of the cruise. If you don't pre-pay, tips will be added to your account on a daily basis. They're pretty much doing away with the "cash tip" thing.

Does anyone have info on if we can cancel our prepaid gratuities and pay as we go on board?

I know you can request to cancel the gratuities when you board but wondering if you can still do this if you have pre paid them?

We have just returned from a cruise and were very disappointed with the service and the expectations from staff to be tipped even though we had already pre paid our gratuities.

We are going on another on voyager in a few weeks and we have already pre paid once again but would like to cancel this and pay as we go for great service.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you have not made final payment yet, you can contact whoever booked your cruise and remove prepaid gratuities from your booking. If you have made final payment, you may still be able to get a refund, but it might depend on your local booking policies.

Edited by clarea

My experience in the UK is that if you book through certain TAs and you have Mytime dinning then prepaid gratuities are mandatory. This didn't seem to apply when we booked directly with RCL for our last cruise.

I prefer not to prepay gratuities with booking. Instead happy for auto gratuity charges to be added to my on board account. Sometimes I have no choice but to prepay because the TA insists.

Yes we have fully paid for the trip thru our agent. Can we cancel them onboard and just get credit?

You can try. Talk with Guest Services. In the past, they have not easily allowed removal of prepaid gratuities. I would expect them to decline without some mitigating circumstance.

call whoever you booked with and ask that they be refunded pre-cruise as it is not a requirement to pay before sailing.

On our Eastern Caribbean, we got a phone call from the finance department asking if I still wanted the gratuities refunded to my credit card. According to them, I'd visited guest relations and request they be removed on day 2. It was new to me, unless I was sleep walking or something. And I think if I'd slept walked all the way from our aft JS to Guest Relations, DH would have noticed my absence.

I told them that I most certainly didn't want a refund to my gratuities. The service was fine. And of course, the gratuities cover more than just the cabin steward. So weird, because my gratuities were the only ones that had the refund request.

Around day 2, we heard some loud discussion next door to us directed at the cabin steward. We'd said "hi" to our friendly cabin steward, and this couple came up behind us, and started laying it out. We decided it was best to be gone. Later, at the bathroom, I heard more loud conversation.

So, I'm wondering if the neighbors tried to get their gratuities refunded, and the Guest Relations got flustered and typed in the wrong room number. Don't they usually ask for the seapass card?

Edited by knittinggirl

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you have not made final payment yet, you can contact whoever booked your cruise and remove prepaid gratuities from your booking. If you have made final payment, you may still be able to get a refund, but it might depend on your local booking policies.

(not that I want to make this more controversial, just a procedure question)

Bob

Do you think it matters if the gratuities were pre-paid for the sake of pre-paying OR if they were pre-paid because of MTD?

(FWIW, I'm not planning on doing it, just curious if it matters)

(not that I want to make this more controversial, just a procedure question)

Bob

Do you think it matters if the gratuities were pre-paid for the sake of pre-paying OR if they were pre-paid because of MTD?

(FWIW, I'm not planning on doing it, just curious if it matters)

Really don't know, but I would think it would not matter.

I for one like to prepay the gratuities as that is one less thing I have to do. If service is deserving for more, then I just use the envelopes provided for extra. That being said, if the service was substandard, then you would need to have that addressed then so that it can be corrected and/or changed.

We have never had reason to complain to which I am extremely blessed. So I have no reason to worry about it on our upcoming July cruise.

there is exactly ONE reason and ONE reason only to cancel any prepaid( not that it is even a requirement to prey pay at all any more). and that is to use On Board Credit instead.

if you have sub par service you TAKE IT UP with the appropriate people ON BOARD and give them the opportunity to fix it. if they do not then only then are you justified in having it removed.

why do you ASSUME that you will receive crap service? are you the kind of guest that cannot ever be satisfied no matter how much bending over backwards is done on your behalf? are you overly demanding? do you have unreasonable expectations?

while you cannot stop them from begging and using every trick in the book to get more tips, there is rarely a valid reason to remove the little they do get for doing their basic job.

I for one like to prepay the gratuities as that is one less thing I have to do. If service is deserving for more, then I just use the envelopes provided for extra. That being said, if the service was substandard, then you would need to have that addressed then so that it can be corrected and/or changed.

We have never had reason to complain to which I am extremely blessed. So I have no reason to worry about it on our upcoming July cruise.

Ditto! We feel the same way.

there is exactly ONE reason and ONE reason only to cancel any prepaid( not that it is even a requirement to prey pay at all any more). and that is to use On Board Credit instead.

if you have sub par service you TAKE IT UP with the appropriate people ON BOARD and give them the opportunity to fix it. if they do not then only then are you justified in having it removed.

why do you ASSUME that you will receive crap service? are you the kind of guest that cannot ever be satisfied no matter how much bending over backwards is done on your behalf? are you overly demanding? do you have unreasonable expectations?

while you cannot stop them from begging and using every trick in the book to get more tips, there is rarely a valid reason to remove the little they do get for doing their basic job.

I'm sure you'll get raked over the coals for your comments but I totally agree with you. Pay the gratuities as the price of your cruise and it's done. We all know the staff don't make much and part of what they get paid is from gratuities. People can whine and complain about these wages all they want but for now it's not going to change.

I know the "flaming" has begun. But I understand your concern. If you received sub-par service I understand not wanting to pay full gratuities. But to be honest, that was likely an anomaly. I have done 21 RCCL cruises and have only received "average" service once or twice. Every other cruise has been excellent. I think your best bet is to call whomever you booked with and ask them to remove the pre-paid gratuities. If they can't, let it go. Odds are great that you'll get great service on the next cruise anyway so your effort will be for naught. However if you get on board and again receive sub-par service, then go immediately to Guest Services and let them know. I'm sure they will do all they can to resolve your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We only prepaid gratuities one time, and that was because it was required for MTD on Allure. (It's the only time we've had MTD and also the only time we've ever prepaid the grass.) As luck would have it, our Allure cruise morphed from a 7 night to a 5 night cruise due to a hurricane. Royal gave us $650 OBC as part of the compensation.

Now we had a new issue! That OBC combined with the $450 OBC we already had (TA OBC, Visa points OBC, and a next cruise certificate OBC) so we had $1100 OBC for a 5 night cruise!:eek: We ate and drank with abandon. I shopped and actually bought some Britto luggage from the Britto gallery. It was a challenge to use all the nonrefundable OBC. Some of it was refundable, though, so we ended up with a negative balance on our account and got a credit on the credit card.

So, I don't prepay the gratuities. We've never asked to have them removed from our account, so that's not the reason. I just like to only prepay what we HAVE to prepay. We like to use the OBC we have to offset the gratuities.

Judy

I was thinking from reading this thread...

You could cancel your prepaid gratuities which would likely yield you some OBC in the same amount that you could use, on board, to pay your gratuities. So, you may never actually see them money.

Seriously... It is nice that they let you use other OBC offers to pay gratuities now, but if you've already prepaid it then they're not likely going to give you cash back at this point.

All of this information is good to know for other cruisers who may not have paid and who may want to use some OBC to pay this expense.

I used to really worry about prepaying as well. I know the definition of a "gratuity". I even looked it up to make sure I wasn't wrong. You're supposed to pay after the fact. So I joined the chorus on Cruise Critic saying it is really a Service Charge and they should call it that.

Then I realized we usually tip more than they suggest anyway and that the prepaid amount was refundable if we cancel the cruise and it isn't a big percentage of the over all cost anyway. So, then I started wondering why I cared so much what they called it and ... then I didn't care any more.

But, it's nice that they give people so many options these days. There may be a cruise, I can't imagine it, where the service is so lousy that I wouldn't want to tip the offenders. We've been on 25 cruises over the years and that's never happened, but it could happen...

I also realized the interest I make in my savings account for the $180 (7 day cruise for DW and me) for 2 months is about 20 cents so I couldn't really complain that paying ahead cost me a lot in interest (like the old days).

But using the OBC argument for it makes a lot of sense.

Tom

Wish that would just add the gratuity to the price of the cruise , no backing out of them , and up the standard of service to reflect the fact that there was extra revenue

This has been brought up for years, but that would be too easy. That would also eliminate all the snarky comments, both ways for and against. The cruise lines must like it when their customers get all riled up over an issue they could easily remove from the equation.

I would like to know the real reason they don't do it.

I find it interesting that two post on the front page one about compensation for missed port and one on tipping are up at the same time by posters posting for the first time.

I'm waiting for a newbie post about sneaking alcohol or sharing drink packages.........

As for my 2 Cents on this topic, another great example of why these grats needs to be included in the price. PAY YOUR PEOPLE CRUISE LINES!!!!! These are people and having had personal conversations with them are nice hard working people leaving families with children for months at time and their salaries are at the mercy of the guests. Just pay them! I don't mind and DO tip them when they provide outstanding service but to do their basic job. JUST pay them and include it. So if they have one bad waiter and cancel their whole gratuities then the whole crew takes a pay cut that's NUTS.

This has been brought up for years, but that would be too easy. That would also eliminate all the snarky comments, both ways for and against. The cruise lines must like it when their customers get all riled up over an issue they could easily remove from the equation.

I would like to know the real reason they don't do it.

I would think the only reason they don't do it is because they would price themselves out of the market , if you looked at a cruise at 1000PP and then one advertised for 840.00PP most people would automatically be drawn towards the lower price , even though at the end it would be the same assuming you did not remove gratuity

And there you have it we have come full circle

The only issue I have with pre paid gratuities is that even when you pre pay your gratuities you are considered cheap if you don't tip extra. I have no problem tipping, but I also don't want to feel pressured to tip additional for just ok service.

I really enjoyed making up the envelopes to give to all those that provided good service in the past. I believe there was much more excellent service when tips were given the last night of the cruise.

I know the "flaming" has begun. But I understand your concern. If you received sub-par service I understand not wanting to pay full gratuities. But to be honest, that was likely an anomaly. I have done 21 RCCL cruises and have only received "average" service once or twice. Every other cruise has been excellent. I think your best bet is to call whomever you booked with and ask them to remove the pre-paid gratuities. If they can't, let it go. Odds are great that you'll get great service on the next cruise anyway so your effort will be for naught. However if you get on board and again receive sub-par service, then go immediately to Guest Services and let them know. I'm sure they will do all they can to resolve your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like THIS response much more. :rolleyes: :)