No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

Hope any deli is not modeled on the one on Royal C's Oasis in Central Park....

everyone talked it up so much...esp for the first day roast beef sandwich,....

We went there on day 1....totally awful...it smelled, the staff was wiping the tables with filthy rags, there was no flow from counter to drinks, etc...rude patrons grabbing chairs,,,..

So hope whatever Celebrity does will be modern luxury not food court "schlock!"

Wow, our opinion is the exact opposite, we love the Park Cafe on the Oasis class ships. It's our favorite spot to run down to for a light snack/lunch, the food is very good there. Royal Caribbean must be doing something right with the Park Cafe because it's always busy!!

Maybe the layout isn't perfect, but I wouldn't knock a restaurant because the counter to drinks flow wasn't great.

The "new" Porch is $25. I am sure the pricing for the "new" Bistro will probably rise to the same level & it is likely the low grade sushi that is now served in the buffet will vanish.

Why exactly is that likely [emoji848]

Be honest folks.....those of you who rue the day that Celebrity took away Bistro on 5 and made it into something else (I don't really believe that it matters what they chose), did you really eat there a few times on your cruise....or are you wondering where to avoid the crowds on embarkation day.

We ate every cruise at Bistro on 5 and never at Embarkation. I love eating outside my first meal soaking up the sun as we are traveling a lot of the time to get away from the cold winter weather.

This trip we actually planned to eat for lunch twice there as too many options we wanted to try in 1 sitting.

We ate every cruise at Bistro on 5 and never at Embarkation. I love eating outside my first meal soaking up the sun as we are traveling a lot of the time to get away from the cold winter weather.

This trip we actually planned to eat for lunch twice there as too many options we wanted to try in 1 sitting.

Me too, like2cruise! Several times during each cruise. We're sailing on the Equinox next week and I am thrilled to hear Bistro is still there! Also, there are more than a few of us feel the same way.

I hope they also give some thought to what the alternative lunch option is now going to be on the days Luminae is closed at lunchtime. I am not saying this is the most important consideration for Celebrity but it adds to my view the whole thing feels like someone is following their idea of what a popular fad is and is a bit out of touch with what most guests are looking for (both suites and non suites)

Wow, our opinion is the exact opposite, we love the Park Cafe on the Oasis class ships. It's our favorite spot to run down to for a light snack/lunch, the food is very good there. Royal Caribbean must be doing something right with the Park Cafe because it's always busy!!

Maybe the layout isn't perfect, but I wouldn't knock a restaurant because the counter to drinks flow wasn't great.

But the smell of "wet dog", dirty tables and smelly/wet floor, etc. were really nauseating...maybe they had a lapse in sanitation on embarkation day but not what we expected after the big build up!

Other places were much cleaner...

Or Sabor, like RCCL? It seems to be thriving!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We have eaten in Sabor several times and have always loved it. Its Mexican fusion done right. A sushi place has no appeal to me at all. Hopefully before we go in October, they will rethink their decision. Don't they also do sushi in Qsine ? Even Izumi or Silk Harvest would be better than just a sushi bar.

But the smell of "wet dog", dirty tables and smelly/wet floor, etc. were really nauseating...maybe they had a lapse in sanitation on embarkation day but not what we expected after the big build up!

Other places were much cleaner...

Park Cafe could be really good, but it's far too small and has a horrid cramped atmosphere. It was like a bun fight in there every time I went. Now the 270 Cafe on Anthem is a different kettle of fish. Really great space.

Phil

Park Cafe could be really good, but it's far too small and has a horrid cramped atmosphere. It was like a bun fight in there every time I went. Now the 270 Cafe on Anthem is a different kettle of fish. Really great space.

Phil

Ah...now I know why we are discussing food venues on non Celebrity ships. Very clever way to tie it to the topic :)

Why exactly is that likely [emoji848]

Makes no sense to give away what you can sell. The sushi they currently serve is flash frozen. If you see someone "making" sushi it is just for show. I do not think the sushi in the Bistro will be "different" or higher grade sushi as that would be counter productive of making a profit. Maybe just more choices. I guess they could go to an even lower grade in the buffet but I do not see that happening. There are limits to how low you can go.

It's just amazing how many posters on CC love the current/old Bistro on 5 yet every time I've passed it on our many cruises, it's been empty or only the officers are dining. I'm apparently not alone in this observation...

If all of those posters would have actually dined in the Bistro, other than on the first day, it might not have changed to the sushi bar trial on the reflection that everyone suddenly abhors on other threads.

Few points:

1) Not everyone that posts on CC is on the same cruise. How do you know all these posters haven't dined there? We dined there twice on our last cruise. Perhaps the reason you didn't see us is because you weren't on the same sailing. I completely agree that B05 is usually quiet; however, people on CC make up a small % of the cruising population. Even if everyone on CC did dine there, it still wouldn't be busy.

2) Raising the price to $10 while reducing the quality/selection of food didn't do this venue any favors.

3) The service at B05 is slow, which also turns people off. While dining there on our most recent cruise, we watched several people walk away as there was nobody around to seat them.

I think Celebrity has done a very poor job at promoting this venue. They have minimal staff working (which leads to the slow service). On every cruise I've been on I've seen passengers stop and look at the menu (which is right next to the hostess stand); however, there is nobody around to answer questions they have and they walk away.

I don't like the idea of a sushi bar and a raw bar on the same ship. It would be nice if they only allocated one of the venues to seafood/sushi and left the other for crepes/paninis/soups, etc.

My complaint is not the cuisine. If I don't like it I won't go. My problem is the pricing. $5,$7, and then$10 to now no one knows. If few are buying at $5 and few at $7 and fewer at $10.... I do know raising prices will not increase traffic. I'd prefer five customers at $5 for $25 than one customer at $10.

We liked the roast beef sandwiches especially on Embarkation at Park Cafe. Also enjoyed Sambas on Allure going there twice as it was not rushed. For me, DW knows I would choose Allure over Oasis just because of Sambas assuming all else was equal.

I may be the exception in this conversation, but a sushi bar sounds fantastic to me on celebrity, and would really represent modern luxury well. I doubt they will discontinue the free sushi in the buffet since A) it is popular, and B) the sushi is extremely basic using cheap ingredients in the buffet comparative to nicer rolls. When we were on the Reflection in December, the area was vacant, I may have seen 4 or 5 people enjoying a meal in there the entire trip. They also had a glass cabinet of their display of food, which honestly looked disgusting. Personally food should never have to be displayed to be sold. The glass display turned us off enough not to try it. If it was a sushi bar there is a greater chance we would go.

Makes no sense to give away what you can sell. The sushi they currently serve is flash frozen. If you see someone "making" sushi it is just for show. I do not think the sushi in the Bistro will be "different" or higher grade sushi as that would be counter productive of making a profit. Maybe just more choices. I guess they could go to an even lower grade in the buffet but I do not see that happening. There are limits to how low you can go.

Then why do they have silk harvest @ a charge when they have an Asian station in the buffet? [emoji848]

I may be the exception in this conversation, but a sushi bar sounds fantastic to me on celebrity, and would really represent modern luxury well. I doubt they will discontinue the free sushi in the buffet since A) it is popular, and B) the sushi is extremely basic using cheap ingredients in the buffet comparative to nicer rolls. When we were on the Reflection in December, the area was vacant, I may have seen 4 or 5 people enjoying a meal in there the entire trip. They also had a glass cabinet of their display of food, which honestly looked disgusting. Personally food should never have to be displayed to be sold. The glass display turned us off enough not to try it. If it was a sushi bar there is a greater chance we would go.

Here, here!:)

But not enough.

Very simply....if enough paid to eat at bistro on 5, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The concept just didn't work. So now Celebrity is trying some new ideas and I applaud them....some may work or may not but $'s will tell the real story...not opinions here where everyone suddenly misses the crepes they weren't buying.

I really enjoy Sushi. If the prices are $8-12 for a roll or 3 pieces of sushi (someone posted prices but didn't say what you get for the $'s so this is a guess), I'll try it...but for that price, the rice better be better and actually flavored and the choice of fish/ingredients should be significantly more than we've had served at the buffet. If they serve pre-made rolls like they serve in silk harvest and at the buffet....forget it. If they toast the nori and make the rolls fresh with seasoned rice...maybe some yellowtail with scallions or tuna handrolls...I'm in.

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic if that makes sense.

Very simple....despite all of the folks who now say Bistro on 5 was wonderful, we loved it, and similar....the restaurant was essentially empty and was a cost center more than a profit center to Celebrity. If it was so good and people dined there, Celebrity would not have changed anything. You folks created the need for change.

Be honest folks.....those of you who rue the day that Celebrity took away Bistro on 5 and made it into something else (I don't really believe that it matters what they chose), did you really eat there a few times on your cruise....or are you wondering where to avoid the crowds on embarkation day.

I know the change may effect suite guests on port days...that's something Celebrity needs to address....and they have a valid complaint since there are folks who are alergic to, or just don't like, fish...cooked or uncooked.

Back when BOF was $5 my children used to go there for desert, almost every night... It was also our favorite place to have lunch on sea days.

I agree with you about the effect on suite guests. I'm extremely allergic to sea food. Unless they keep the original menu for breakfast and lunch, this won't be an option for me, as a suite guest, on port days.

Actually, if you go to a fine sushi restaurant, there is no fish smell at all.

I won't comment on what you eat...and how about if you don't comment on what millions eat in Japan, a very civilized country as well as in the US where Sushi is quite popular.

You still have no problems skipping the buffet...you can go to the aqua spa cafe or get a good hamburger at the mast grill.

Really? You think I should care about commenting on what millions eat in Japan? LOL I'm laughing even though I know you aren't joking. I don't give a raw fish's butt about Japan or what they eat - I've been to Japan by the way. We are discussing a sushi bar on a cruise line frequented by many Americans.

I have never been to a "fine" sushi restaurant because I don't like sushi. The few places I have been that serve it - when it arrives it smells like a dead, raw fish. The few places I've been where they sell it - it smells like a dead, raw fish.

I'm sad if this is the way that BO5 will go under, it was a quiet place to dine, with really slow service, nice wines - and we enjoyed it.