No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

Too bad they don't do a thai or mongolian BBQ......would much rather see something like that

Now your talking... A proper Thai restaurant would be amazing and we would be in there at least half the cruise... [emoji39]

Those of you that are disappointed about losing the current Bistro on 5, I understand your disappointment but that space has been so underused I don't think we could expect Celebrity to let it remain as is. In my opinion, If the sushi is the same quality as the buffet, The new concept will not be successful. If they can upgrade the quality, I think they will find a customer base.

VERY excited by this. the sushi Celebrity serves for free is terrible....I welcome the opportunity to see them up their game.

Crystal cruises has a Sushi/Japanese restaurant onboard which was Fantastic. Also RCL has an alacarte Sushi restaurant that Celebrity is going to do a take off of......This has been a Big Success for RCL. Even if only 50% of people like Sushi.....you are talking about incredible demand for a relatively small space.

Lets hope Celebrity provides a high quality product none of uswould mind paying for. Time shall tell. This is a step in the right direction in my book!

The way things have been going, my guess is that they are just going to transfer the Sushi from the buffet to the paid venue. I hope I'm wrong. The Sushi in the buffet is basically lox with ginger and wasabi. It's fine for a snack but nothing more than that.

Cruisestitch, I second that. I became allergic at 30. Prior to that I loved shellfish and would try anything. Now the allergy even makes me cautious at the buffet when I can't clearly identify the ingredients. So, for us, 2 restaurants that are off our list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm also extremely allergic to seafood and not happy with the change. I just hope is true that they will keep the original menu for breakfast and lunch

The Sushi in the buffet is basically lox with ginger and wasabi. It's fine for a snack but nothing more than that.

Not exactly from my experience. They've had shrimp and tuna. It was always great for a snack during Elite Happy Hours up at the Sunset Bar, since we normally eat dinner around 8:30pm.

How about a nice tapas bar. Small plates, perfect for sharing or snacking, reflecting a lower $$ or one comparable to that of bistro.

Served alongside nice wines. [emoji6]

Sounds like a great idea to me!! :)

Sushi is fine with me and it isn't always raw fish and seafood. They can do vegetarian, tofu, pork and chicken sushi as well. If they expanded it like others have said then it would be worth the $$ charged. When we were on Reflection last May there was hardly anyone in there when we went past, I can't blame them for changing it.

How about a gluten free cafe? ;) ;)

Here's a few thoughts :

1) A GREEK restaurant. Seems a perfect fit, for a line that has a huge Greek heritage. OPA !

2) A Churrascaria serving sliced meats tableside, with a large salad bar.

3) A BBQ venue - but only if they can do BBQ right. Princess has an evening BBQ venue on the Royal and Regal, and was very disappointing (IMO).

4) How about an authentic Delicatessen, like a Carnegie Deli type venue ? Ok, that's a nod to my NYC heritage :)

Andy,

They should have discussed the change with you before making a move. All of your suggestions sound much better than a sushi bar to me.

Not impressed with this change. I'm not a fish eater and have been on many cruises where sushi is offered and I never go near it. I enjoyed both Bistro and The Porch and it's disappointing. Celebrity are coming up with some odd decisions trying to live up to "modern luxury". Wonder if they'll pipe some Japanese music in there to boost the effect? I really shouldn't give them ideas.

Phil

Well, I am one for change, I believe change is good... but I am disappointed in this one. I may be in the minority, but I love(d) Bistro on 5. Our experiences have been a lovely, from the food to the servers and the pace of the service.

It is a quiet, slower place to relax out of the louder, busier places that exist.

My husband and I like sushi well enough, but since it was already available in the Buffet and was good along with LOVELY presentation at Silk Harvest, seems like adding a sushi specific restaurant may be redundant. Time will tell.

I imagine oddly enough that regardless of the comments here, that Celebrity has done their research and has based their decision on patron suggestions as well, no just a crazy whim... perhaps we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

We will be on the Reflection in a few weeks and I am rather happy at the prospect of having a nice sushi restaurant onboard....we enjoy Izumi on Royal Caribbean.

We actually had to leave Izumi once the menus were presented to us b/c it had nothing but sushi...dh has fish allergies and does not eat sushi...i only enjoy it as an appetizer...they did not make it clear when we booked and pre paid that it was all sushi...too bad..nice space away from the crowds

contrasted to Silk Harvest on EQ which has some..but maybe not enough sushi and a great varied Asian menu...along with great service...maybe Q sine can be re purposed as an enhanced Silk Harvest to fulfill the seemingly growing sushi need yet accomodate others,.,

Love Andy's ideas...all great ,esp a deli in place of Bistro which could be popular if priced ok...

Love Andy's ideas...all great ,esp a deli in place of Bistro which could be popular if priced ok...

The rumor is that the Gelato Stand is being replaced with a deli next on the Reflection. I have no confirmation, just saw this reading the boards.

Here's a few thoughts :

1) A GREEK restaurant. Seems a perfect fit, for a line that has a huge Greek heritage. OPA !

2) A Churrascaria serving sliced meats tableside, with a large salad bar.

3) A BBQ venue - but only if they can do BBQ right. Princess has an evening BBQ venue on the Royal and Regal, and was very disappointing (IMO).

4) How about an authentic Delicatessen, like a Carnegie Deli type venue ? Ok, that's a nod to my NYC heritage :)

Or Sabor, like RCCL? It seems to be thriving!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The way things have been going, my guess is that they are just going to transfer the Sushi from the buffet to the paid venue. I hope I'm wrong. The Sushi in the buffet is basically lox with ginger and wasabi. It's fine for a snack but nothing more than that.

Not sure what ship you were on, but they always have a selection of sushi or tekka maki rolls on the one's I've been on (all but the reflection). ginger and wasabi are accompaniments to all sushi/sashimi...and they certainly use more than the smoked salmon to make the sushi. There are always california rolls because people seem to like them, shrimp on sushi rice, and a number of other choices.

I wouldn't call any of Celebrity's "sushi" very good....but it depends no where you're from and your dining experiences. Many apparently think it's great and would likely be terribly disappointed if they were served sushi in Japan made authentically with vinegared rice and the wasabi on the sushi, not just served on the side.

On Celebrity ships, it's a refreshing snack before dinner. The sushi we were served in silk harvest was actually terrible...the nori (seaweed skin) was soggy on the rolls.....we just walked out. I guess we were either unlucky or most seem to like it that way.

Edited by ghstudio

How about a nice tapas bar. Small plates, perfect for sharing or snacking, reflecting a lower $$ or one comparable to that of bistro.

Served alongside nice wines. [emoji6]

This is the best idea so far. I remember the Summit had tapas at the Cova Cafe with a wine flight and it was excellent!

The rumor is that the Gelato Stand is being replaced with a deli next on the Reflection. I have no confirmation, just saw this reading the boards.

not sure if it's a large enough area, but certainly it's not a highly profitable use of space. The few people I see getting gelato are paying with coupons, not signing checks.

Another possibility is the yogurt area (next to the shrunken aqua spa cafe) which seems to be "lightly" used....or, if they want more space and a sit down venue, how about using Quasar which is another rarely used space.

My son and I tried both Bistro on 5 and The Porch when we were aboard Silhouette for a very full New Years cruise. Both venues were practically empty, neither was particularly memorable (other than for the very slow service in both). I can understand why Celebrity is rethinking these areas; if they can't get a decent crowd on a packed holiday cruise, I can't imagine they see it as being a good use of space...

I do wonder if the concept would've worked better with better service. We nearly left BO5 because it was so slow (and only a couple other parties, so it wasn't crowded).

On the other hand, a sushi restaurant sounds good to me and I'd definitely try it. I wouldn't be a big fan of turning it into another "huge meal" venue (e.g., a churrascaria). Some kind of light meal option sounds much better to me.

One thing I'm curious about though -- for years on these boards (not just Celebrity but across CC) -- I've read complaints from people wanting sushi and raw seafood. Several "experts" including at least one who purportedly works for various Carnival Corp lines have said that ships have to follow strict regulations and that "fresh raw seafood" as such is not allowed.

If this has not changed, then I wonder about the offerings at these new venues....??

Another thumbs down vote for both.

Don't you need really, really fresh good fish for a raw bar (not to mention sushi)? I don't see how they can pull it off.

Also does this mean they will not serve sushi (for free) in the buffet area in the evening any longer?

Sushi is fresh flash frozen. There MAY be a a very very few items that are shipped in fresh to restaurants.