No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

Cruisestitch, I second that. I became allergic at 30. Prior to that I loved shellfish and would try anything. Now the allergy even makes me cautious at the buffet when I can't clearly identify the ingredients. So, for us, 2 restaurants that are off our list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you eat shrimp as in shrimp cocktail? Do you eat rice? put them together and they are sushi. Do you eat cream cheese, smoked salmon and rice...put them together and they are a philadelphia roll. How about an omelette...put it on rice and it's another type of sushi.

I'm kind of amazed that so many have no clue what sushi really is...and are ready to say....yuck...

I think people are confusing Sushi with Sashimi.

We aren't talking eating bugs here (btw, a lobster is essentially a bug)...we're talking about eating fish and other items. Perhaps those of you who are disliking sushi so much don't realize that more and more sushi toppings (sorry...sushi actually refers to the rice) are cooked....you are not eating raw fish. BTW, if you eat steak Tartar, you are eating raw beef. Why is one better than the other.

So how about instead of commenting on why you don't like the food (and will obviously not frequent any sushi bar), let's discuss what it is, how good or bad the offering is and the pricing.

It's obviously a trial...if it works and it's profitable, it may roll out to other ships or the fleet....if not, maybe that space will become an Ethiopian restaurant or even fish and chips. At least Celebrity is trying....

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

[quote=ghstudio;49175800

I'm kind of amazed that so many have no clue what sushi really is...and are ready to say....yuck...

Not sure why those that dislike Sushi are assumed to be ignorant. I know exactly what it is and am not a fan. I do not like the seaweed wrapping on most rolls. I am also allergic to shellfish. In some places I can get rolls wrapped in rice paper which I enjoy. I will also eat a Sashimi. I love Tuna Tatar and eat a wide variety of foods. Saying Yuck to Sushi does not make me stupid, it just means I have an opinion that is different from your opinion. I have a husband and teenager who love Sushi and will be quite happy with the change.

Shouldn't the title of this thread be " no more bistro on 5 on Reflection" it's not fleet wide and is just a trial on that ship only.

I think they should have left Bistro as it was initially and dropped the charges, then it would be used more. (Like Alfredo's on Princess)

Bistro was the place we went to on embarkation for lunch, it's a tradition for us and we usually go another couple of times. Changing it to sushi for a charge on a ship that already has a seafood restaurant? Stupid idea :mad:

There are some people who are advised not to eat raw meat or seafood....for medical reasons including allergy or compromised immune system....etc...

wonder if these changes would affect silk harvest menu?

Sounds like too much fish altogether..

I'm with you guys - BARF - just the smell alone is enough to make me sick! :mad: As we always skipped the buffet on embarkation day for BO5.

Actually, if you go to a fine sushi restaurant, there is no fish smell at all.

I won't comment on what you eat...and how about if you don't comment on what millions eat in Japan, a very civilized country as well as in the US where Sushi is quite popular.

You still have no problems skipping the buffet...you can go to the aqua spa cafe or get a good hamburger at the mast grill.

Edited by ghstudio

Suite guests were invited to eat lunch in Bistro when Luminae was closed (port days). Many people do not like fish, cooked or raw, so this isn't a prudent decision by X, just my opinion.

On the other hand, there are lots of people who do enjoy sushi, so it would be even less prudent IMO to base a decision on a very small number of passengers (suite occupants who don't enjoy fish).

I'm not saying YUCK, I just think it is misguided to devote two restaurants to what would admittedly be a limited audience. Having sushi as part of the buffet offerings wasn't even particularly successful and although it wasn't top shelf sushi, I'd be surprised if this was either.

A raw bar has an even more limited appeal to the majority of diners. Rather than expanding choices for dining, they have limited them.

I'm not saying YUCK, I just think it is misguided to devote two restaurants to what would admittedly be a limited audience. Having sushi as part of the buffet offerings wasn't even particularly successful and although it wasn't top shelf sushi, I'd be surprised if this was either.

A raw bar has an even more limited appeal to the majority of diners. Rather than expanding choices for dining, they have limited them.

What would you suggest Celebrity put in that space that expands dining choices? Let's assume it has to be something that has a $ fee...not a free venue.

Edited by ghstudio

Does that mean they will do away with the free sushi from 5-8pm in the buffet area???

My thoughts exactly. I am from Vancouver and am spoiled for good sushi. If they charge for it now, they better really up the ante from the free stuff in the buffet which has gone downhill over the years.

On the other hand, there are lots of people who do enjoy sushi, so it would be even less prudent IMO to base a decision on a very small number of passengers (suite occupants who don't enjoy fish).

I never said X was, or should base their decision on the tastes of their suite guests. I said IMO, it wasn't a prudent decision. Time will tell.

Lets not confuse a sushi bar with a raw bar. They're not even close. If anyone can't stand the smell of sushi then you're at the wrong sushi bar. :eek: I'm about as big a fan of crepes as I am of sushi but if I polled the rest of my family, sushi would win over crepes any day. The few times we went to Bistro on 5, the place was always empty. For five bucks it apparently wasn't worth the effort. I'll give Celebrity props for trying something different.