No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

I love Bistro on Five. I am sorry to admit my husband and I ate there three separate times for lunch on our last cruise (Silhouette - Jan 31st sailing). We loved it. Its so nice to be served instead of facing the crowds in the buffet. Plus we both enjoyed their onion soup and salads.

I hope they don't change it out on the other ships. I am allergic to seafood and fish. So i am already not able to enjoy the Porch anymore. If this site changes that will be another venue off limits.

I've mentioned on the boards during our January cruise on Reflection we did the Market Discovery excursion with both the Reflections's executive chef and Celebrity's traveling chef which was onboard to implement the changes.

They said Bistro would turn into a sushi/noodle restaurant and the gelato stand into a NY style deli. These are on a trial basis before converting other ships. I'm really anxious to see the new Bistro menu now with the change and assume it will be more than just sushi, but we'll see.

It's just amazing how many posters on CC love the current/old Bistro on 5 yet every time I've passed it on our many cruises, it's been empty or only the officers are dining. I'm apparently not alone in this observation...

If all of those posters would have actually dined in the Bistro, other than on the first day, it might not have changed to the sushi bar trial on the reflection that everyone suddenly abhors on other threads.

Edited by ghstudio

Why Change the menu in Bistro on 5 ? It was great . Now not so great :eek:

Very simple....despite all of the folks who now say Bistro on 5 was wonderful, we loved it, and similar....the restaurant was essentially empty and was a cost center more than a profit center to Celebrity. If it was so good and people dined there, Celebrity would not have changed anything. You folks created the need for change.

Be honest folks.....those of you who rue the day that Celebrity took away Bistro on 5 and made it into something else (I don't really believe that it matters what they chose), did you really eat there a few times on your cruise....or are you wondering where to avoid the crowds on embarkation day.

I know the change may effect suite guests on port days...that's something Celebrity needs to address....and they have a valid complaint since there are folks who are alergic to, or just don't like, fish...cooked or uncooked.

How did they convert BO5 to a Sushi Bar without a dry dock? I do not recall there being a bar or counter arrangement in BO5.

There's a big counter where they make the crepes and also have the display cabinet area as well... I don't think it takes up much space to make some sushi!

Very simple....despite all of the folks who now say Bistro on 5 was wonderful, we loved it, and similar....the restaurant was essentially empty and was a cost center more than a profit center to Celebrity. If it was so good and people dined there, Celebrity would not have changed anything. You folks created the need for change.

Be honest folks.....those of you who rue the day that Celebrity took away Bistro on 5 and made it into something else (I don't really believe that it matters what they chose), did you really eat there a few times on your cruise....or are you wondering where to avoid the crowds on embarkation day.

I know the change may effect suite guests on port days...that's something Celebrity needs to address....and they have a valid complaint since there are folks who are alergic to, or just don't like, fish...cooked or uncooked.

We generally at at B on 5 on embarkation day and a couple more times during our 14 day cruises.

Agree that b5 and porch were severely underutilized spaces. However while dw is a big sushi fan and I would enjoy raw bar I believe X is making a mistake as these themes are only attractive to a segment of passengers. They could really use an alternative lunch venue and previously mentioned ideas like tapas, bbq or deli would have wider appeal. My personal choice would be gourmet burgers with lots of toppings and sides.

Oops I posted this on the wrong thread I think. Here goes again:

Someone above mentioned tapas. That would be my vote IF Bistro goes away, which I hope it does not. Tapas is a crowd pleaser, because it's appetizer or snack size portions of a little bit of all kinds of variety. The only problem is the cost. Here in Philadelphia, our tapas restaurants are very pricey. There is a lot to the preparation, they are quite gourmet. So in order for it to be good, there would need to be quite a fee. Otherwise, why bother.

I hope Celebrity is listening to all your good suggestions.

I, for one, would love to see Bo5 changed to a sushi bar. I've eaten there on most of my cruises, with the best meals this past January with their daily specials. Not a huge fan of crepes and service has been s l o w at best. My wife is not a fan of sushi, so unless they offer other items, we'll not be visiting Bo5 as a sushi bar. Unfortunately.

As for the Porch, we used to LOVE this venue when it had paninis, and visited regularly for breakfast and lunch. We also gave it a try as a raw bar in January. First, it isn't a raw bar as the seafood is all cooked/poached/marinated. The seafood tower was a major disappointment with everything drowning in this horrid marinade. The best item was the shrimp cocktail, which was much better than the one in the MDR, and no marinade. Sadly, we won't be visiting the Porch again until they change it to something else. Worst $25 pp I've ever spent with Celebrity, and we love the specialty dining venues!

If all the people here on CC who say they love B5 + the X staff who eat there (presumably for free) were deducted, it would seem that not a single other customer ever eats there . It is always empty . I like sushi but if not that they could make it something more useful then currently . Perhaps a cloakroom or a spot for drying bathing suits . What about a spot for stamp collectors ? ;)

Edited by richstowe

I cannot speak for anyone other than myself: I ate at BOF on embarkation day and EVERY day the ship was in port. I would also grab a "to go" meal on evenings when I didn't feel like eating in Luminae.

I don't know how many more times you would expect me to patronize Bistro.... but I won't patronize a sushi place. That's for sure.

Hope any deli is not modeled on the one on Royal C's Oasis in Central Park....

everyone talked it up so much...esp for the first day roast beef sandwich,....

We went there on day 1....totally awful...it smelled, the staff was wiping the tables with filthy rags, there was no flow from counter to drinks, etc...rude patrons grabbing chairs,,,..

So hope whatever Celebrity does will be modern luxury not food court "schlock!"

We recently did the new NCL escape and they have a really nice tapas place as an al a carte priced place, on the 2/3 times we visited although we experience great food/tapas we were the only people there..

It seems whatever celebrity change a venue to there's no pleasing everyone as they change bistro to sushi and the majority of people moan... (We don't like raw fish[emoji15]/I guess that means the buffet free stuff will go!!)[emoji33])They change cellar masters to a gastro pub/bar and people moan it's not what they want, (gastro bar sounds horrible [emoji848]) the change the molecular bar to the WCB and people say it's a bad decision, (we loved it there [emoji33]) yet before they made these changes the majority of posters on cruise critic moaned about how dead it is in these places & how they should change them... I guess celebrity can't win!! [emoji848]

I for one welcome change and will look forward to trying the new venues out and only then will I be able to pass judgment on if they are good or bad... In my opinion of course!! [emoji57]

Hope gelato area is not the deli spot...way too small...maybe it should be reserved for coffeee to go..

the lovely afternoon ambiance of Cafe Baccio has been ruined by the long lineup of those seeking free coffee and drinks to go...table service clearly a low priority and on EQ, after waiting on the long line, the counter folks would not give you coffee in a china cup to sit at the table...waitress never came around so we left,,and never returned!

Used to be a mellow spot every afternoon for tea, coffee and biscotti...with mellow guitar music...now it is an extension of flip flop nation!.....having cafe baccio 2 in the buffet closer to the pool seems not to have lessened the load on Baccio...and the staff there was even more surly than the ones at the main Baccio...esp if u asked for water!

Anyhow...I am sure X will try new ideas and get some of it right!

Edited by hcat

I cannot speak for anyone other than myself: I ate at BOF on embarkation day and EVERY day the ship was in port. I would also grab a "to go" meal on evenings when I didn't feel like eating in Luminae.

I don't know how many more times you would expect me to patronize Bistro.... but I won't patronize a sushi place. That's for sure.

Thank you. Agreed.

It's just amazing how many posters on CC love the current/old Bistro on 5 yet every time I've passed it on our many cruises, it's been empty or only the officers are dining. I'm apparently not alone in this observation...

If all of those posters would have actually dined in the Bistro, other than on the first day, it might not have changed to the sushi bar trial on the reflection that everyone suddenly abhors on other threads.

I guess you are not passing by when my friends and I are there ;) And we enjoy it on more than embarkation day.