No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

I just wont trust what's in the Sushi. Anywhere. Too many consumer reports (media) saying that some restaurant don't serve what's advertised, Same goes for the beef tournedos which are anything but (on some occasion).

When you have 10-15 restaurant on a ship, I think it is OK to have a niche market. You could also probably get away with a tartar restaurant.:)

Thank you Andy. Like others, I'm a bit dismayed at these prices - I live in New York City and these prices are easily as expensive as mid-range sushi places here. Also, the selection is quite small - where are the basic salmon, yellowtail, cucumber or other vegetarian maki? Or other standard items, like hand rolls, edamame, seaweed salad, shumai, yakitori apps, miso soup?

One more question - do you know how/if this restaurant works with dining packages, including the Ultimate Dining Package? I am a big fan of sushi and I'm sure we will try Sushi on Five when we're on Reflection next week, but given the prices and selection, I doubt VERY seriously that this is going to be a successful venture for Celebrity.

I am also wondering about the udp covering this venue, that would persuade me to purchase the package. If NOT, even as a sushi lover i would rarely visit

Thank you (as always) Andy :)

So many nay sayers already, and they haven't even tried this new venue. I'll hold my judgment until I try it myself.
Perhaps people are reacting to the high a la carte pricing plus the reasonable expectation

that X will eliminate "free" buffet sushi . It isn't great but there is no upcharge for it .

Thank you Andy. Like others, I'm a bit dismayed at these prices - I live in New York City and these prices are easily as expensive as mid-range sushi places here. Also, the selection is quite small - where are the basic salmon, yellowtail, cucumber or other vegetarian maki? Or other standard items, like hand rolls, edamame, seaweed salad, shumai, yakitori apps, miso soup?

One more question - do you know how/if this restaurant works with dining packages, including the Ultimate Dining Package? I am a big fan of sushi and I'm sure we will try Sushi on Five when we're on Reflection next week, but given the prices and selection, I doubt VERY seriously that this is going to be a successful venture for Celebrity.

The first item is Edamame, but it is hidden a bit by the fish

Edited by kenevenpar

Thank you, Andy, for posting the menu! We look forward to trying Sushi on Five if it comes to a ship on which we are sailing.

At Izumi on RCI ships, the rolls have around 12 pieces at $12.00, so it may very well be what the Reflection will be offering versus the standard 6 pieces we get locally in a sushi roll. Maybe someone going on the Reflection can report on the quality, quantity, service, ambience, and experience.

TAlso, the selection is quite small - where are the basic salmon, yellowtail, cucumber or other vegetarian maki? Or other standard items, like hand rolls, edamame, seaweed salad, shumai, yakitori apps, miso soup?

The menu shows edamame for $4.00, buried under the fish at the top left. I also am disappointed that there is no seaweed salad, miso soup, yakitori, tempura, and futomaki. Too many sashimi and nigiri selections for us, but there is plenty for us to choose from with the cooked seafood and vegetable sushi, edamame, dumplings, and noodles.

Thanks Andy. It will be interesting to see whether the quality of the offerings come close to justifying the price. As much as we enjoy sushi, I'm not sure that I'd be drawn to SO5, and I'm quite happy that I'll be able enjoy BO5 next month aboard the Eclipse.

Thank you (as always) Andy :)Perhaps people are reacting to the high a la carte pricing plus the reasonable expectation

that X will eliminate "free" buffet sushi . It isn't great but there is no upcharge for it .

Yes, the high a la carte pricing plus the fact we are not that into sushi in the first place is why we are nay sayers.

I don't have to see the venue on board to know that it will be something we won't utilize.

Thank you, Andy, for posting the menu! We look forward to trying Sushi on Five if it comes to a ship on which we are sailing.

At Izumi on RCI ships, the rolls have around 12 pieces at $12.00, so it may very well be what the Reflection will be offering versus the standard 6 pieces we get locally in a sushi roll. Maybe someone going on the Reflection can report on the quality, quantity, service, ambience, and experience.

Absolutely. We'll be on Reflection in three days (counting the minutes!) and I'm sure we'll give So5 a chance, despite the high prices. I'll take detailed notes!

Big thank you to Andy for keeping us current!

Wow..we don't really do sushi ...dh has fish allergies..I only like a few appetizers and hoped the menu would have more non sushi offerings.... .For a few dumplings, salad and kobe beef balls or whatever, the a la carte price is steep....Silk Harvest has a much better selection in the non sushi category and only one upcharge,

Reflection has been a young hip vibe party ship (big bar out back, Miami DJ, etc) so maybe it will work on that ship.....we have no plans to sail on her again, so our only interest is in learning if it will be expanded to other ships......hope not..happily booked on EQ, Infinity x2, & Silho thru 2018

Wonder if they'll do something else at the Porch...crepes, paninis, soups, salads... sound good!

Absolutely. We'll be on Reflection in three days (counting the minutes!) and I'm sure we'll give So5 a chance, despite the high prices. I'll take detailed notes!

Thank you! I will really appreciate that. Although we don't have any cruises booked on the Reflection, dh and I want to be prepared if it comes to Equinox this spring. I'm expecting (hoping) the portions, such as number of pieces, will be more than the 6 pieces we get locally in a sushi roll and based on our experience at Izumi, which serves around 9-12 pieces. Edamame is served complimentary in Izumi, however.

It would be a good way to use some of our non-refundable shipboard credits. We eat fairly healthy at home, so some lunches and dinners at Bistro on Five (soup and salad or crepe) or Sushi on Five meets our desires and requirements. Izumi worked out well for us in saving calories. We use Bistro on Five on embarkation day and for the same reason (light meal). A starter, a miso or dumpling soup, or small salad and a sushi roll that has 9-12 pieces is enough for a lunch or dinner for me (two of those, not all 4!).

I look forward to your report. Have a wonderful time on Reflection, which is currently our favorite ship.

Wonder if they'll do something else at the Porch...crepes, paninis, soups, salads... sound good!

Yes! Both a big thank you to Andy and your idea for the Porch. Let the Porch serve what Bistro on Five currently serves if Bistro on Five is becoming Sushi on Five on the ships. I applaud your idea. That would work out well for us having both.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Response to hcat

Wow..we don't really do sushi ...dh has fish allergies..I only like a few appetizers and hoped the menu would have more non sushi offerings.... .For a few dumplings, salad and kobe beef balls or whatever, the a la carte price is steep....Silk Harvest has a much better selection in the non sushi category and only one upcharge,

Reflection has been a young hip vibe party ship (big bar out back, Miami DJ, etc) so maybe it will work on that ship.....we have no plans to sail on her again, so our only interest is in learning if it will be expanded to other ships......hope not..happily booked on EQ, Infinity x2, & Silho thru 2018

The Reflection is heading to Europe in April.

Thanks for posting the menu, Andy! They have some of my favourites on here, but in my opinion overpriced: $4 for edamame? Crazy.

Hi Koolforkatz,

I kind of thought $4.00 for Edamame was reasonbale, especially after paying $7.00 for Edamame the other day. $7.00 ?? Now *That's* crazy :) - but Mom loves it. Gotta keep her smiling !

Thanks Andy. It will be interesting to see whether the quality of the offerings come close to justifying the price. As much as we enjoy sushi, I'm not sure that I'd be drawn to SO5, and I'm quite happy that I'll be able enjoy BO5 next month aboard the Eclipse.

Hi Fouremceo,

I happen to enjoy sushi very much. For me, the quality & taste of the sushi is the big issue. Yes, the prices are similar to "reasonable" sushi restauarant prices, and we'd be willing to at least give this venue a try. I happen to like several of the menu items - they sound tasty ! If the sushi is of excellent quality, then the venue may be a winner. With all due respect to our wonderful community members, it's understandable to be unhappy if you do not like sushi - I get that. However, at this point, we have no way of knowing whether the food taste & quality is excellent (or not), as none of us have tried it yet. I look forward to feedback from current guests.

I'm surely not going to pass judgement on this, until I have the opportunity to try Sushi on Five for myself. We enjoy Bistro on Five very much, but can understand that the venue never really became a hit. I appreciate that Celebrity is trying something new.

Hi Fouremceo,

I happen to enjoy sushi very much. For me, the quality & taste of the sushi is the big issue. Yes, the prices are similar to "reasonable" sushi restauarant prices, and we'd be willing to at least give this venue a try. I happen to like several of the menu items - they sound tasty ! If the sushi is of excellent quality, then the venue may be a winner. With all due respect to our wonderful community members, it's understandable to be unhappy if you do not like sushi - I get that. However, at this point, we have no way of knowing whether the food taste & quality is excellent (or not), as none of us have tried it yet. I look forward to feedback from current guests.

I'm surely not going to pass judgement on this, until I have the opportunity to try Sushi on Five for myself. We enjoy Bistro on Five very much, but can understand that the venue never really became a hit. I appreciate that Celebrity is trying something new.

Hi Andy,

Totally agree, no personal judgement until we've had the opportunity to try. The earliest we might be on the Reflection would be the fall of 2017, by which time the question of quality matching pricing will have been addressed here many times over..

Cheers.

-- Sushi on Five will be open for Dinner only on the current sailing, and is expected to expand for Lunch, on sea days, on the following sailing.

Andy

X offered Bo5 as an alternative for suite guests on port days to make up for a lack of Luminae for lunch. When you spoke to X did they mention what they planned for suite guests on these days?