How did we manage to cruise when...

loubetti

There were no web sites, no on line booking, no "price drops" to chase. Cell phones were in their infancy if existing at all. Windows were something we looked out of. Not to mention online forums like CC?

We used a travel agent who would get us a printed brochure, while still giving us benefits for booking through them. Often we met them in person.

How did we cruise when the average ship was maybe 25-30,000 tons, and a "mega" ship was QE2 or Norway.

There were no $$$ specialty restaurants, and aside from the buffet, it was early or late seating.

No TV in the cabin. But a deck lounge and a good book sufficed.

We could visit the bridge, the galley, even the engine room, and it would not cost us $$$ to do so.

How did me manage this while still having a great, memorable cruise?

I guess time marches on- eh? :rolleyes:

I can remember then you used to go to a travel agent and they would sell a cruise off the brochure. If you were lucky you might be given a deck plan which was the size of a giant map and more like an engineers drawing with every berth shown in each cabin together with the location of your wash basin in the cabin. Berths were labelled 1a and 1b with one being the upper berth just in case you were only booking half a cabin with total strangers booking the other half. All the cabins were different shapes and sizes all over the place and at the end of the corridor you would be able to see exactly where the bathrooms, with baths in and toilets were located.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

When we first started cruising, we had the smallest inside room and we slept in bunk beds but we had aa wonderful time. Everyone dressed so nicely and the midnight buffets with ice sculptures were something to behold.

When we first cruised, like you say no internet and only one couple we knew had ever cruised. We had done a lot of traveling but our first cruise was no particular struggle for us to get into the 'swing of it'.

One thing I still remember and now find funny is we and the other couple with whom we were traveling boarded, found the buffet, stood and watched for a while and were confused people took those huge piles of food and there was no cash register for people to pay for their lunch. :)

We quickly learned about the ID card being our 'cash on board' and no additional charge for food, at that time. :rolleyes: There were no alternative restaurants charging 'way back then'. :D

Our first cruise was in 1977 and was one of our best. To get the cheapest cabin, (we were a young married couple with two kids) we booked one year in advance.

Went to an actual library :eek:to research our ports. Knew no one on the ship before sailing day but still managed to meet and spend time with several other young couples.

Still had an actual midnight buffet and free tours of the ship. A great time was had by all.

Don

Nothing but great memories of my first cruises taken in the early 1980's.

Yep, you knew very little about the ship going in but that was part of the fun, discovering what the ship had to offer.

Now with CC people act as if they cannot possibly considered a ship until they know the brand of pillows, what each night's entertainment will be, who will be the cruise director, what will be served for dinner on the third night, if fried kale is available in the buffet and whether the carpet in the main theater is more of a chocolate brown or a mahogany brown. :p

You got a paper brochure...glossy paper!, and called on the phone! It was so simple and easy! Aside from booking your cabin..there was nothing else to book in advance. Shore excursion were available to be booked when you boarded the ship. There were no other things TO book...everything else was included! I miss that.

Edited by cb at sea

Glad I am not alone in my thoughts!

Let's add some posts that ask: "Does anyone have the daily programs for Monstrosity of the Seas for the western Caribbean cruise?"

Why?

I preferred being surprised, same as with not having to know the menus in advance! :cool:

Glad I am not alone in my thoughts!

Let's add some posts that ask: "Does anyone have the daily programs for Monstrosity of the Seas for the western Caribbean cruise?"

Why?

I preferred being surprised, same as with not having to know the menus in advance! :cool:

How about needing to know exactly what movies are playing?

Edited by clarea

My first cruise was on Carnival Festivale in an upper and lower berth. You could spread your arms and touch both walls. But the food and service was fantastic with no cost cutting seen anywhere. I still have the Carnival daily with the list of activities and there actually were activities and not just stuff that brings in money for the cruise line. No art auctions, no guess the carat weight of the stone, no spa. Just real, fun activities.

Truth be told - I'm glad I didn't know about the cruise boards (any cruise board) before our first cruise. We planned our trip based on what we could learn from the cruiseline website, and loved every minute of it.

I'd have been a basket case if I knew that I was supposed to worry about where my room was; what excursions are "best"; early or late dining; what to wear; who's the best server; etc; etc; etc.

I remember the midnight chocolate buffet! What a sight to behold. Really not much for eating but a picture perfect moment:p

I remember those fabulous buffets every night. We wouldn't finish our 6 course dinner until after 9 P.M. and they would set out that massive, gorgeous display of incredible selection each night. What a waste. Few could even think of eating anything. We'd have a cup of coffee and maybe a few bites of a dessert. :o If one ever saw a full cruise ship display of Midnight Buffet they aren't likely to forget what it looked like. :)

We have been cruising twenty one years, and our first got us hooked. Now, we are ADDICTED! Yes, I recall those beautiful midnight buffet spreads and the ice sculptures and being allowed in the first thirty minutes to walk along taking photos of the food. Then, you could get back in line to eat, which we only did for chocolate covered strawberries once.

I have three cruises booked in April.....and did three in January and October. Yes, I have the cruise addiction!:D No help in sight!