Let us know cards

2ptu/000

We were recently on the Veendam and encountered excellent room and dining room stewards. Several days into the cruise, I went down the the front office and asked for several Let Us Know cards. I just wrote a short note on them about how good the service was from dining room and room stewards. Well, you might think I gave them a huge tip. I got even better service after that. Wasn't the reason I did. They just seemed to appreciate this little effort so much.

Happy to hear you good your service was and especially happy you made an effort to commend the stewards who were doing such a good job.

Thanks for the reminder it's a good thing to do to take a minute and write a quick note.

We were recently on the Veendam and encountered excellent room and dining room stewards. Several days into the cruise, I went down the the front office and asked for several Let Us Know cards. I just wrote a short note on them about how good the service was from dining room and room stewards. Well, you might think I gave them a huge tip. I got even better service after that. Wasn't the reason I did. They just seemed to appreciate this little effort so much.

We're leaving on our first Holland cruise next week. Had not heard of these card. Could you expand? Are they like a post card you can use to report great service?

We're leaving on our first Holland cruise next week. Had not heard of these card. Could you expand? Are they like a post card you can use to report great service?

More like an invitation type card that one would open. Sometimes, they are left in your cabin for you to fill out at your leisure; sometimes, one has to go ask for them. It's a simple way to let the powers that be know of any issues with your cabin or to commend staff on their service. I don't know if they're used on all ships regularly but when one does use them, it seems to be acted on promptly - at least it was in my experience. Better than waiting until the end of the cruise to fill out a survey. They'd like to rectify any issues during the cruise.

That was very kind of you. I'll have to remember that for my upcoming cruise. I believe that positive comments mean so much more than tips as they lead to promotions, which, in turn, allows for higher wages. Good on you!

It may also mean more tips. Not sure if it was Holland, but one poster mentioned that the tip pool was, at least partially, distributed based upon some kind of earned point system based upon customer comments, etc. IOW, not all waiters got the same fractional share. Some highly rated personnel could get more. As I said, not sure if that was Princess or Holland.

I have used the cards frequently for both praise as well as expressing concerns. My experience has been like some others: very quick response.

On the Prinsendam in December, I turned one in at the Front Office, returned directly to my stateroom, as I entered the cabin, the phone was ringing. It was in response to my card! Now, that's prompt service!!!

Good for you! Saying thanks means a lot. Taking time to write a thank you means so much more. It shows an effort and commitment. We always try to "show our appreciation" with cash tips, but we definitely write personal notes for the wonderful people who've gone above and beyond.

Question for the crowd - - Are the HAL attaboy (Let Us Know) forms better for the staff than a regular Thank You card? I hope not, because we've been wasting a lot of money on Crane thank you cards if that's the case. ;)

Good for you! Saying thanks means a lot. Taking time to write a thank you means so much more. It shows an effort and commitment. We always try to "show our appreciation" with cash tips, but we definitely write personal notes for the wonderful people who've gone above and beyond.

Question for the crowd - - Are the HAL attaboy (Let Us Know) forms better for the staff than a regular Thank You card? I hope not, because we've been wasting a lot of money on Crane thank you cards if that's the case. ;)

Just my opinion: A personal thank you card given to the crew member is something that I think they do appreciate. The "Let Us Know" cards let the crew member's supervisors know of your comments and are important to their employment. Having done Behind the Scenes Tours, I have observed such comment cards posted on bulletin boards near the Crew Purser's Office.

I think they are two separate things - if you mean a thank you card you give your room steward, say, with his extra tip. I know one Lido steward we commended on a "Let us know" card told us he was called up to his supervisor and told we had said nice things about him, and (hopefully) it did make a difference - on the next ship we saw him he had been promoted. We do add a personal thank you note to crew at the end also, but that does not get them called to the front office!

Thanks. That's good to know.

One thing I forgot to mention - If you are doing a "Live from" or writing a review, definitely give shout outs to people who've given you exemplary service. In late 2014, we did a week on the Nieuw Amsterdam, followed by a week off (for US Thanksgiving) followed by a B2B on the same ship with pretty much the exact same crew and staff. I'd written about some of the great service we had on the first leg's "Live from." When we boarded for the next cruise, I had a few people thank me for "making them famous in Seattle."

It always pays to be nice and show gratitude. After all, it doesn't really cost you anything**, and you've probably got some free time on your hands.

**Technically, there's the cost for Internet time while posting, but it's not like I wasn't planning to prattle on anyway.

Just my opinion: A personal thank you card given to the crew member is something that I think they do appreciate. The "Let Us Know" cards let the crew member's supervisors know of your comments and are important to their employment. Having done Behind the Scenes Tours, I have observed such comment cards posted on bulletin boards near the Crew Purser's Office.

Those cards completed mid cruise mean a lot :).

We do thank you cards to the officers, crew that attend functions and for tips, but the mid cruise cards as you point out so well count.

Thanks. That's good to know.

One thing I forgot to mention - If you are doing a "Live from" or writing a review, definitely give shout outs to people who've given you exemplary service. In late 2014, we did a week on the Nieuw Amsterdam, followed by a week off (for US Thanksgiving) followed by a B2B on the same ship with pretty much the exact same crew and staff. I'd written about some of the great service we had on the first leg's "Live from." When we boarded for the next cruise, I had a few people thank me for "making them famous in Seattle."

It always pays to be nice and show gratitude. After all, it doesn't really cost you anything**, and you've probably got some free time on your hands.

**Technically, there's the cost for Internet time while posting, but it's not like I wasn't planning to prattle on anyway.

Totally agree, those threads are read by some. If someone is making your experience great - always good to share :)

DH and I took our first HAL cruise last year. One thing we noticed was the upgrade in service from our previous line of choice. This was especially true of our room stewards. They did a good job of keeping our cabin neat and stocked, and they were so friendly and personable. Also in the dining venues they took even the smallest request seriously, we felt they really aim to please. We appreciated that level of caring, we generally just book a balcony but we felt that we were treated like true suite guests. We are very pleased with Holland America. We are on the Veendam again coming up, and we look forward to trying other HAL ships in the future. We like their style.

We didn't know about those Let Us Know cards, but we will be looking for them on our upcoming cruise. We felt that service on the ship is where HAL really shines, and in the future we would like to compliment them for that service. Thanks!

Lorie

The standard forms delivered to the front desk are each dealt with according to Holland America's Standard Operating Procedure for Let Us Know Cards (SOP 344.4 dated December 3, 2014*). Nonstandard comment cards are ignored.

*Prinsendam still adheres to SOP 344.4 dated July 31, 2013 as detailed in SOP 344.4 dated December 3, 2014. Direct questions to the Assistant Manager of Policies and Procedures Documentation, Cruise Passenger Onboard Satisfaction Office, Department 3G.

The standard forms delivered to the front desk are each dealt with according to Holland America's Standard Operating Procedure for Let Us Know Cards (SOP 344.4 dated December 3, 2014*). Nonstandard comment cards are ignored.

*Prinsendam still adheres to SOP 344.4 dated July 31, 2013 as detailed in SOP 344.4 dated December 3, 2014. Direct questions to the Assistant Manager of Policies and Procedures Documentation, Cruise Passenger Onboard Satisfaction Office, Department 3G.

That's too bad. NIC-SOP 12(e) specifically requires that hand-written notes of thanks on guests provided card stock be given precedence. Clearly NIC-SOP should be given preferential treatment, because Holland America doesn't provide any SOP guidance to the guests.

I thought those cards were only for complaints and not for complimenting the staff, I will fix my misinterpretation starting Mar 12.

Gotta go - NA is getting ready to leave Sint Maarten on the webcam. Just heard the first horn.

Edited by Happily@Sea