Which is better? Caribbean in April or June?

gcbranscome

Hi! My family and I are going on our first cruise and we are booked to go in April 2017 on the Harmony! We are thinking it might be easier to go in June because we have 3 kids. Anyway, is it that much of a difference weather wise in April compared to June? Does it rain a lot in June in the Caribbean? Did some research, but different websites say different things. I was hoping to get opinions from people who have cruised a lot to the Caribbean during that time. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've cruised the eastern caribbean many many times and usually in March (always had great weather)...going again and excited to go this time on HOTS for it's March 2017 cruise.

We have cruised in both April and June. Last June, it was incredibly hot & humid. Having three kids as well, we prefer summer just because it's easier to schedule and not having to work around school schedules. Weather wise, we prefer April. Our April cruises have been much less hot & humid but still warm and enjoyable. We have been lucky, none of our cruises were really disrupted by rain. We may have had a very quick passing shower, but nothing more than that.

I would go in June. Having always sailed in the summer, we sailed last April on the Quantum to the Carib and the water was too cold for me. Really was disappointed as I had booked an excursion in Barbados to snorkel with the sea turtles.

We had done it years ago in July so was so looking forward to it again but ended up staying on the boat due to the low temp of the water. I wasn't the only one that skipped the snorkeling.

March and April are great months to cruise the Caribbean. We have never gone as late as June as the weather is great here that time of year so we are not really interested in going to the Caribbean then. We have plenty of beaches and off shore islands to visit right here.

Agree with others. Went on first cruise to Caribbean in June and second in April. Was much more hot and humid in June. Last April was perfect and going in April again on Allure. But, understand about travelling in June with the school schedules.

Edited by jmh2006

Hi! My family and I are going on our first cruise and we are booked to go in April 2017 on the Harmony! We are thinking it might be easier to go in June because we have 3 kids. Anyway, is it that much of a difference weather wise in April compared to June? Does it rain a lot in June in the Caribbean? Did some research, but different websites say different things. I was hoping to get opinions from people who have cruised a lot to the Caribbean during that time. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

By April the ocean water is warming up....but June the water temp will be higher and the air temp will be warmer. Much nicer for water activities in my book. Humidity is humidity, you are surrounded by water either time of the year -- and yes the warmer it is the more humid it will be.

June is just the start of hurricane season, but very little concern from stormy weather in that month. Rain happens for sure, but trying to avoid it is impossible. It can rain for 15 minutes and be over and the rest of the day be totally delightful. You can go on a wonderful excursion and in the late afternoon as you are heading back to your ship, have a sudden cloud burst. It happens.

Pick any island at random and check the averages. St. Martin for example:

http://www.stmartinisland.org/destination-st-martin/weather-and-climate.html

Summer months might be 3-4 degrees F warmer. Water temps hardly vary at all. Regardless of the subjective opinions that pop up on threads like this, there just isn't much difference YEAR ROUND:)

Edited by bouhunter

I have taken a couple of Caribbean cruises in the summer because of kids and they're not my favorite time to visit. We basically went from hot and humid to hot and humid. April is much nicer, IMHO>

Both months are lovely; personally, I'd give June the preferential vote because the water is warmer; if that doesn't matter, then choose whichever month is most convenient; you'll have a wonderful time.

We are empty nesters so we cruise when there are less kids on the ship. In your case I would go when it's the least expensive!

As others have mentioned avoid hurricane months.

We have sailed in January, March and December and the water temp has been fine. It's the Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise.

The temperature chart above for St Martin mentions temperatures but not humidity. There is no indication of heat index which is based on humdity and heat together. I have been in St Martin in summer, winter, spring and fall, but I am no of summer in St Martin. Last time I was there in June, I became quite faint and weak from the stifling heat and humidity heat on an excursion.

When we cruise, we don't really do water-based activities. For those who feel the water is too cool in April, I can't argue with that having had no experience in the matter.

Weather is likely close to the same, however, a number of ships that sail the Caribbean from Miami/FLL will have left for the season. Many go to Alaska, Europe and Canada NE cruises so the islands are less crowded in June. You likely would be in various ports with fewer ships sharing.