Ship Announcements

Hubby and I love cruising but those loud announcements do get fatiguing after while. Isn't the point of the Cruise Compass to keep everyone informed when the next Bingo session is? How about the art auctions? Aren't they listed in the Cruise Compass too? What is the point of making those announcements and disrupting the peace and quiet of the ship?

We are just off the Indy and there was one announcement made at 2:15 am requesting a passenger contact customer service. We were woken up in the middle of the night because of that announcement. Is that really necessary? I just hope no one was ill or injured which prompted that announcement.

... We are just off the Indy and there was one announcement made at 2:15 am requesting a passenger contact customer service. We were woken up in the middle of the night because of that announcement. Is that really necessary? I just hope no one was ill or injured which prompted that announcement.

That kind of announcement is very rare, and must have been a serious issue for them to break in to the staterooms. We've heard that twice in 70+ cruises, and both times it was a suspected overboard situation, one of which turned out to be someone lost overboard.

Edited by clarea

Middle of the night announcements are rare. I understand the frustration with the "fluffy" announcements. After a middle of the night one I can never fall back asleep because I am too worried about that person I don't even know that they are looking for because I know it has to be pretty serious for them to do that. those announcements are not normal :(

The thing I found frustrating about announcements last summer on the Radiance, was that the speakers in our rooms were not working, so you could only hear them by opening the door. So we usually missed them entirely.

The thing I found frustrating about announcements last summer on the Radiance, was that the speakers in our rooms were not working, so you could only hear them by opening the door. So we usually missed them entirely.

That's one of those 'careful what you wish for' things. Except for emergencies and musters, we haven't heard an in cabin announcement for quite some time. I remember when you could hear them all in the cabin. I suspect it was complained about.

Edited by Big_G

That's one of those 'careful what you wish for' things. Except for emergencies and musters, we haven't heard an in cabin announcement for quite some time. I remember when you could hear them all in the cabin. I suspect it was complained about.

Lol yes, that is true. The odd thing though, was that there was a volume control knob on the wall, but it was useless. We asked our steward about it, but he didn't know why they'd quit working. They'd apparently been inop for a while.

They were working - it is just that those types of announcements are not sent to the in room speakers. Only those that are the most urgent, the kind the OP heard, are sent to the in cabin system.

M

Original poster here.....

During the day, the announcements did not come into the cabin and neither did the announcement in the middle of the night. The speaker in the hallway was just outside our cabin and the volume was very loud. My husband and I take naps during the day so our sleep was disturbed every day with those annoying "fluff" announcements.

As for the announcement in the middle of the night.....we assumed it was an emergency.

Edited by coffeebean

They were working - it is just that those types of announcements are not sent to the in room speakers. Only those that are the most urgent, the kind the OP heard, are sent to the in cabin system.

M

Then why would our steward have told us that they hadn't be working for a while when we asked about it? Regardless, it was only a minor annoyance. You just felt like you were missing out on something, when in reality, the information was available elsewhere.

On the Feb. '15 Quantum sail, there was an announcement, but could not hear it unless I opened the cabin door--the announcement was that there was something smoldering in the garbage. Used to hear those announcements very clear years ago as there was a volume control in the cabin.

I for one wish the captains announcements could be heard in cabin instead of having to open my cabin door...

So do I. I also wish I didn't have to run to find a quiet place to listen to them. It is hard enough to understand what is being said sometimes without all the rude people who have no interest continuing to talk over them.

The last few cruises we've been on all the daytime announcements have stopped which we were so glad about. No more Bingo - YAY! The only announcement we heard was the Captain's Noon announcement and the announcements for tender numbers.

Which cruise line with so few announcements?

From what I was told on my last cruise is that the announcements have been started again.

And yes, for missing passengers they will do public area announcements first, but after no reply they will do a full ship announcement... and if still nothing a room to room search.

I for one wish the captains announcements could be heard in cabin instead of having to open my cabin door...

I'm with you on this one. I always have to open the cabin door to hear what the Captain is saying. We just returned from the Grandeur and other than the announcement for the muster drill in the cabin, all other announcements you have to open your cabin door to hear them and they never bothered us. The CD did say that if there is an emergency the announcement will be heard in cabins.