empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

The offer to move to Majesty for same price is an option? Trading my 5 night cruise for a 4 night cruise is fair? Sleezy move on Royal's part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They could offer something a little better considering we were sailing in 1.5 weeks on March 30 during Spring Break. Thank goodness we didn't have to worry about airfare! Most ships are sold out for that week now and prices are double. Gee! Thanks Royal Caribbean. We can't sail during the other time frames that were offered.

I am booked in the Royal Suite over Memorial Day. Final payment is in 10 days and I may cancel. I am not sure I want to be on the first few sailings after the ship comes back. So if any of you booked the RS and it is price protected let me know on the boards and I will let you know when I cancel.

Wow. This stinks for those of you booked. How terrible to have a vacation canceled at the last minute (if you can't work anything else out on such short notice).

Personally, I was looking forward to being in Costa Maya with the Empress when I'm there on Princess next month. The Empress was my first ever RCI ship and I was hoping to get a bunch of photos of her in port :(

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

At least they are cancelling the sailings rather than having passengers sail on a ship that isn't ready to provide them the vacation they deserve. However, if they are cancelling that many sailings they have had to know for some time that the ship was not going to be ready. You start cancelling six weeks worth of sailings just two weeks before the first of those is to occur?

So explain to me how am i suppose to find a cruise in a week for a price similar to what I thought was within my budget for 7 people during spring break. I mean really why go to the Bahamas again. Most cruise ships are booked for the week of March 28th sailings or their price is doubled. We were scheduled for March 30th sailing. My daughters last spring break with the family because she will be going to college next year and she had planned this trip.

They offer a trip to the Bahamas , no thank you! I mean Grand Caymans vs. Bahamas. Which would you take?

They could have let me know last week or at the first of the week! Why wait on Friday, 12 days before setting sail!!

I cancelled. All in all they were pretty resistant to accommodating my partner and myself. Even gave them the opportunity to retain my as a customer and their response was simply "this is what we have, take it or leave it".

So i'm now officially out.

Oh the phone now waiting. I am sure we will be cancelling also!

Looking for other options now!

When they cancelled Rhapsody, they only had three cruises to rebook, and no airfare because they had months of warning. With six, and needing to fix the airfare too, they're more resistant to making it right. Also, look at the debt from all those new ship builds.

I'd say, bring your own bottles of wine, book non-cruise tours, and don't spend a plug nickel on your new cruise!

I'd been planning a spa treatment on board, and they were cheapskates over honoring a coupon. Well, we decided not to spend anything (except gratuities) on board. We'd done a couple of spa treatments on previous cruises. But on that cruise, we were mad about the coupon, we learned we could do without any spa services. The fact, they kept us waiting on our other spa treatments didn't help. We were barely gold. Haven't done a spa treatment since. Look at all the money they lost because they refused to give us a $35 coupon.

Edited by knittinggirl

We ended up booking an 8 night on Navigator out of Fort Lauderdale on April 16th (same day as Empress was leaving). Price difference was only approximately $400 and it's 3 extra nights and two more ports. It took me awhile to coordinate but we were able to figure it out. And RCCL is reimbursing flight change difference as I only had to change flight back since we selected a new cruise leaving same day. Hope everyone else who was booked/cancelled is able to find comparable solutions as well.

I wonder if how empty our sailings on April 30th and May 5th are has anything to with this. I just checked again yesterday and just about every Junior Suite on the ship was available for both dates. Was really hoping for an upgrade on both of the cruises, doesn't look like that is going to happen now.

You start cancelling six weeks worth of sailings just two weeks before the first of those is to occur?

It's 6 sailings, but barely 4 weeks as they are 3 - 5 day sailings. Still a lot of ruined plans with little notice, though.

While this is unfortunate, I am not surprised. They should have known from the get go that this was going to take a while. This is a huge error on their ship build/revitalization team. There's always room for improvement. If they finish early, recheck stuff. Train staff. etc. But they always seem to cut it too close and either cancel sailings or have work done during the first couple sailings back.

I had friends on the first sailing back for Radiance a few years ago to Alaska and they were doing some work on that sailing. It was their first time on Royal and they were not pleased with the mess, noise and closed areas they encountered.

We ended up booking an 8 night on Navigator out of Fort Lauderdale on April 16th (same day as Empress was leaving). Price difference was only approximately $400 and it's 3 extra nights and two more ports. It took me awhile to coordinate but we were able to figure it out. And RCCL is reimbursing flight change difference as I only had to change flight back since we selected a new cruise leaving same day. Hope everyone else who was booked/cancelled is able to find comparable solutions as well.

glad it worked out for you, enjoy the Navigator.

booked the april 22nd Majesty sailing.

Wasn't able to get anything out of it except the $100 onboard credit. However I was able to have a supervisor add the $26 current promotion back on, since that fell off when the $100 inconvenience credit was added. So total $126 in onboard credit.

Hope this helps someone, and maybe youll have better luck getting more.

The offer to move to Majesty for same price is an option? Trading my 5 night cruise for a 4 night cruise is fair? Sleezy move on Royal's part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to my world.

Sorry RCI fans...but if they are cancelling that many cruises this close to the date somebody dropped the ball big time. Either the person overseeing the refit lost touch with reality for...what...a month, or the person getting the information above them is...what's the word...an idiot, for waiting so long to actually cancel

What actually astonishes me is that, given the recent track record, people are actually surprised that RCI is showing virtually no concern for their customers.

The more I read this sub-forum, the more I feel we need to scratch them off our list of possible lines when we decide to take another cruise.

Our TA was able to get ours switched from April 11 5 night to Majesty on April 4, 4 night with 3 ports of call. Since there was no additional cost we saved over $600 on the Majesty cruise fare. Reason being we had the C&A special on deck 8 cabins.

For those badmouthing RCI, I have info from an inside source that this was caused by an issue that no one in RCI could have predicted. It is not a marineside issue but is astronomical in size.

RCI has been on top of the issue from the time it became known with additional experienced resources brought in from the fleet. Based on the nature of the problem sourcing replacement equipment is probably the tall pole.

Sorry I cannot reveal the rest of the story but the problem would have been much worse had US Coast Guard found the problem(s) and shut everything down in Miami.

My heart goes out to those who are having their vacation, marriage, honeymoon or other special plans ruined by this.

Much better ship and itinerary.:)

Our TA was able to get ours switched from April 11 5 night to Majesty on April 4, 4 night with 3 ports of call. Since there was no additional cost we saved over $600 on the Majesty cruise fare. Reason being we had the C&A special on deck 8 cabins.

I guess I am a little confused as to what you are paying for the cruise on Majesty that enables you to save over $600 on the Majesty cruise fare from the cancellation of your Empress sailing.