New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

Thanks for the info. I think I will call and pay the gratuities ahead for my May 5th cruise. I do not begrudge the staff the increase but I do dislike booking cruises under one understanding and have that changed without notice. I will let it ride on the others that I have booked....

^This. Sailing in a suite on FOS 5/29 and while I'll more than make up the difference in extra tips for what I've always found to be terrific service, the $7.70 increase for the week after paying in full just grates on a nerve.

In my email about the gratuity increase I noticed this paragraph:

"Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, spa services and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt."

I don't recall the 18% gratuity being added to my specialty dining charges. Did I just not notice, or is this a new policy, or just another RCI mistake in communications?

RCI just needs to change the wording from "gratuities" to "servicing charge" and make it a required charge like port charges or tax. It is then up to us to give additional tips as we feel they're warranted. This would stop people from getting their money back and giving $5 on the last day.

These people live on their tips and in many cases send them home to support their families. Whether it's right or wrong for RCI not to pay them more, not tipping takes away from their families

In my email about the gratuity increase I noticed this paragraph:

"Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, spa services and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt."

I don't recall the 18% gratuity being added to my specialty dining charges. Did I just not notice, or is this a new policy, or just another RCI mistake in communications?

They have not added 18% to the flat fee specialty dining bills in the past. I guess we will see if this is a change in policy or mistake.

RCI just needs to change the wording from "gratuities" to "servicing charge" and make it a required charge like port charges or tax. It is then up to us to give additional tips as we feel they're warranted. This would stop people from getting their money back and giving $5 on the last day.

These people live on their tips and in many cases send them home to support their families. Whether it's right or wrong for RCI not to pay them more, not tipping takes away from their families

Well said and I completely agree!

We got that email today as well and I noted that they are now calling it "daily service charges". That's a smart change that may make it less confusing for those who still consider it a "tip".

Tom

Just got the email.

Dear

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for your upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily service charges. As of May 1, 2016, Royal Caribbean will be adjusting the automatic daily service charge from $12.95 to $13.50 per day for regular staterooms and $15.95 to $16.50 per day for suites. This service charge is shared by dining & culinary services personnel, stateroom attendants and other housekeeping and guest services personnel.

We want to extend the opportunity to prepay your service charge now at the current rate, before it adjusts on April 14, 2016. After this date, any service charge applied will be at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, spa services and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-866-562-7625, log onto RoyalCaribbean.com or contact your travel agent by April 13, 2016, to prepay the daily service charge at the current rate.

Thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

I hope it's a mistake or misunderstanding.

If they did do that it would be kind of sneaky. Maybe they just mean if you purchase any beverages while in the specialty restaurants. I think they've always added the 18% to that. I always thought the base gratuity was already included in the price of the specialty restaurants. That doesn't mean some can't be added, but adding 18% on top of the already recently inflated restaurant charges, that would be a lot. $45 + 18% = $53.10.

Tom

They have not added 18% to the flat fee specialty dining bills in the past. I guess we will see if this is a change in policy or mistake.

When it states gratuity for dinning and culinary -does this include just the main dining room or does it also include other venues like windjammer,promenade cafe ,etc?

It includes Windjammer and the other complimentary food venues.

Thanks for the heads up about the increase. Went back to double check my booking to verify we did in fact already have our gratuities prepaid. I did the math, and we were over charged by approx $50.00 (total for both of us). We booked the first day opened for Alaska 2017 C & A members. We are getting it corrected by Royal.

When it states gratuity for dinning and culinary -does this include just the main dining room or does it also include other venues like windjammer,promenade cafe ,etc?

Yes, includes other venues. MDR staff work all locations - that's why it's so much easier to pay the daily service charge and be done.

It's been on our invoices in the UK for years as 'on board service charge', not sure how it's described on invoices in other markets.

ditto. I agree. Only then people will start complaining about the "Service Charge" :eek:

I think this auto adding of tips is dumb to be honest.

Look I'm not stingy what so ever, but I like to be in control of who I tip and how much, if you do an average job by me you'll get like 20%, but if you really hook me up your good for 25% no problem. Don't get me wrong though if I get lousy service you will probably get next to nothing and that will also come with a complaint to management as to why I left next to nothing (which rarely happens at all, but has)

Thing is though I personally like to tip the people who make my trip awesome directly.

Yah I'll let the gratuity ride and still leave my cabin steward extra on top of it, assuming he/she does me right.

I agree 100 percent with them being stupid. I think service has gone down hill for the most part since they started with the auto. Why should the hardest working keep working hard when they are getting the same "gratuity" as the laziest.

So should we start tipping the captain and his crew for a safe trip, the mechanics down below for keeping the ship running.

The wait staff was ok on my last cruise. The only one that did a great job was the room attendant.

This is what I don't get. If so many of the staff are being stiffed and not making any money why are they so worried about getting good ratings on the guests' surveys so they can keep their jobs?:confused:

The ratings directly affect how many guests (and therefore how much gratuity they get) the dining staff are assigned. I don't know how the ratings affect the stateroom attendants.

I'm confused, can someone help me out?:confused::confused:

We're going on the Allure Jan 2017.

I have prepaid gratuities on my booking.

I have made a deposit but not final payment.

Will I be on the "old" rate or the "new" rate?

Thanks.

It took a while just to read through this thread. I like the auto gratuity as it covers the many staff that work hard to make sure I have a great cruise experience. My kids must eat 50 slices of pizza and no tip there. I only interact with a very few staff, yet there are so many on board. We give extra to the conciege, the cabin steward, lounge staff (either in the CL or DL; we go to both) and wait staff. If you think about all of the staff that ensures you have a great cruise, we only interact with a very few of them. For the other one off encounters like bartenders or specialty restaurant staff, they also get a little extra. My father's best advice to me was never take a job where you have to interact with the general public (point made on this thread). Second was to be generous to those people work hard to make your life better.