how do free drinks in bars and Diamond lounge work for Diamond members?

Going on our first cruise as Diamond members next week and are unsure how the free drinks perk works. I think you can have 3 free drinks a night during a designated time slot in any of the bars or the Diamond lounge. Does this mean if we have 2 free drinks each at one of the bars and then go into the Diamond lounge we can still have 1 free drink each in there? Also, are there any other nice perks we should be aware of?

Thanks for any insight you can give us.

Going on our first cruise as Diamond members next week and are unsure how the free drinks perk works. I think you can have 3 free drinks a night during a designated time slot in any of the bars or the Diamond lounge. Does this mean if we have 2 free drinks each at one of the bars and then go into the Diamond lounge we can still have 1 free drink each in there? Also, are there any other nice perks we should be aware of?

the free diamond lounge drinks don't count against your total of 3 each

The drinks in the Diamond Lounge are not counted. The barmen just serve you. Plus you have your three drinks at other bars. It's a brilliant benefit.

R

You can have as many drinks as you want inside the lounge. At other bars you show the bartender that you are diamond and they deduct one of your 3 drinks from your outside of the lounge bar allotment. Let the bartender know thta you are using a diamond voucher or they may use liguors that are not included in the program and then try to charge you.

Drinks in the diamond lounge are free during the evening cocktail hours - usually around 5:30 to 8:30. You can have as many as you want. In addition, you get three free drinks loaded on your Seapass card. These can be used at bars during the same time period. They cannot be used in the dining room. Also, they are not cumulative - you get three each evening, but can't carry them forward.

There should be a note in your stateroom explaining all your diamond benefits.

You didn't ask, but I am telling you just as an FYI, not trying to start a tipping war, I would say the majority of people tip the diamond lounge bartenders, either nightly or at the end of the cruise. I think $1 per drink is pretty normal. Same thing when getting the free drinks at a bar. I usually tip diamond lounge staff at the end of the cruise, but that's my choice.

Wow, that is a nice perk. We will be Diamond on this cruise. I assume that it is ok to get a drink at a bar and carry it into the MDR, I like a glass of wine with dinner. How do they feel about getting drinks and handing them off to friends? Not Diamond etiquette?

Wow, that is a nice perk. We will be Diamond on this cruise. I assume that it is ok to get a drink at a bar and carry it into the MDR, I like a glass of wine with dinner. How do they feel about getting drinks and handing them off to friends? Not Diamond etiquette?

That is why many concierges will not allow you to take drinks from the lounge.

Just an FYI - it is not any drink. There is a list ( both in the cabin and at bars ) of available spirits to make basic cocktails. No frozen cocktails. You can also use the card to get soda. In our recent experience, a bottle of water is no longer available.

Newtampagirl - You may take the drink anywhere, including the dining room. You may not use the perk to get a drink in the dining room or any restaurant.

As others have mentioned, many folks tip the server a dollar or so per drink.

enjoy

m

I'm pretty sure you can only get one drink at a time so if you get a drink, give it away to a friend and go right back for another, it might not work. It's practices like this that would make the cruise line withdraw these perks and boy, have I and many others worked hard and spent a fortune to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm pretty sure you can only get one drink at a time so if you get a drink, give it away to a friend and go right back for another, it might not work. It's practices like this that would make the cruise line withdraw these perks and boy, have I and many others worked hard and spent a fortune to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In our experience, you can get all three drinks at one time. I will often go to the bar and use my card to get two drinks, one for me and one for my husband. You may be confusing the "one at a time rule" for the drink package.

Like you, I hope the practices of a few don't put the program in jeopardy.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

if you are not diamond you are not entitled to the free drinks. 'buying' rounds for others using the three vouchers is violating the intent and spirit of the perk at the very least and abuse can and will result in the loss of the vouchers altogether. maybe for just the abuser, maybe for ALL Diamonds.

Some correct information:

Here is the list of permitted drinks/alcohols:

IMG_0668_zpsibrt9q0w.jpg

The "cocktail hour" is either 5 to 8:30 or 4:30 to 8. Three and a half hours. The timing is usually dictated by the times of the set/traditional dining sittings.

When first seating is at 5:30, the cocktail time is 4:30 to 8. When second seating is at 6, the cocktail time is 5 to 8:30.

Anthem has been doing the timing differently, but since it looks like dining is changing there, who knows?

Please tip your servers. When and how is up to you, but please tip. Be generous. You are getting the drink for free; they are working just as hard.

The vast majority of concierges have no problem with you carrying a drink out of the lounge.

It is certainly permitted to get a glass of wine at the last bar before the MDR or restaurant and take it in with you. You can even excuse yourself from dinner, go out and get another glass, and return.

Three vouchers per evening. Must be used that evening and do not accumulate.

Unlimited drinks within the lounge. No card swiping, so no "counting" against your three.

Some correct information:

The vast majority of concierges have no problem with you carrying a drink out of the lounge.

It is certainly permitted to get a glass of wine at the last bar before the MDR or restaurant and take it in with you. You can even excuse yourself from dinner, go out and get another glass, and return.

+1

we have found that most bar servers in the lounge deliberately bring another drink just before you depart for dinner. I have sometimes left the main dining room to go to the nearest bar for another glass (or glasses) of wine and that is fine too. We tip the concierge bar staff (and concierge) and the bar staff near the MDR at the end of the cruise and it is always appreciated. :)

edit: also agree that sharing drinks with people not entitled to them is poor etiquette and not within the spirit of the program

Edited by jenibor

[QUO

TE=newtampagirl;49622761]Wow, that is a nice perk. We will be Diamond on this cruise. I assume that it is ok to get a drink at a bar and carry it into the MDR, I like a glass of wine with dinner. How do they feel about getting drinks and handing them off to friends? Not Diamond etiquette?

When using your coupons you can "buy" a drink for a friend. You can also carry a drink to any other place such as the MDR. Just be aware of the time - it's not all night, just the DL hours. Although I don't necessarily agree with giving a glass to a friend, I have had bartenders suggest it, especially as I would not use three drinks. Seeing as you have three coupons - not unlimited like the lounge - it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

Some concierges do not allow you to carry out a drink from the lounge . Varies fro ship to ship.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Quick Question: I don't drink alcohol so the 3 free cans of soda per evening will be my perk.

Can I use the Diamond perk but ask the bar tender to give me an unopened can of Soda, this way I can transport it back to my room to enjoy later so my soda won't go flat?

Quick Question: I don't drink alcohol so the 3 free cans of soda per evening will be my perk.

Can I use the Diamond perk but ask the bar tender to give me an unopened can of Soda, this way I can transport it back to my room to enjoy later so my soda won't go flat?

When ordering soda, sometimes I get a can and other times I get a glass of soda. If the can is an option, you can ask for it unopened.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Diamond lounges on several ships if not most have unlocked, see-through, self-serve refrigerators where one can retrieve cans of soda and sometimes beer.

Diamond lounges on several ships if not most have unlocked, see-through, self-serve refrigerators where one can retrieve cans of soda and sometimes beer.

Interesting, I've never been encouraged to serve myself in any lounge.

Edited by clarea

NEVER. Those refrigerators are NOT self-serve and they are NOT unlocked during non-cocktail hours.

What ship are you saying that you have experienced this?

I have not seen the refrigerators unlocked except during the happy hour.

My wife and I are diamond members. Last week we took our first Royal cruise on the Freedom since the implementation of the "new" 3 drink policy at all bars. On the plus side, every bartender we met throughout the ship was aware of the 3 drink policy for diamond members and had the sheet of the qualifying beers and spirits readily available for me to look at. And all of the bartenders who served us were in agreement that they were allowed to serve any drink that was served in the diamond lounge during the cocktail hour. Unfortunately, the consistency ended there as there was absolutely no agreement as to what drinks we could actually receive. My wife and I all encountered bartenders who said that things like a whiskey sour, lemon drop and margarita were not included. (One attendant initially said it was liquor only, as if I had to do a shot. Then conceded he could at least use fruit juices.) Then, after going out of their way to make a point that they shouldn't be doing it, several bartenders ended up making us a whiskey sour/margarita as a "favor." I don't know if the bartender was angling for a tip (I always tip a $1 anyway) or truly unaware of the policy. But, it happened the whole cruise.

To this point, we went up to the diamond lounge happy hour and spoke with the concierge on the second day of the cruise. Great guy. He assured us, unequivocally, that things like whiskey sours (made with sour mix), lemon drops (often uses triple sec) and margaritas (typically made with triple sec) are absolutely included and any bartender on board is permitted to serve them. When we could, we stuck to the diamond lounge to avoid any issue. Of course, as luck would have it, despite having drank lemon drops throughout the cruise in the diamond lounge, on the last night my wife tried to get a lemon drop from a bar on promenade deck and they flat out refused. Oh well. She had a tasty cosmo instead.