help please.....do i need to remove a nook from carry on

creel5857

please forgive this question that might be obvious to regular travelers....but do I need to expect to remove and turn on my nook when I go through security.....for some reason my nook is a little slow to turn on (would be real slow if holding up a line) .... just wondered if it is a small chance or great chance it might be checked in Vancouver Canada airport coming back through security and customs......thanks for your help

The answer is???

No,,, I would keep it in my carry on. It is supposed to stay in your carry on,,,

However,,,,, that doesn't mean that some TSA agent having a bad day or on a power trip isn't going to ask you to remove it and power it on.

Rare, but can and does happen occasionally

Any item that may be required to be removed for inspection by the TSA (laptop, your ziploc bag of tiny liquids) should not be in your carry-on suitcase but in your "personal item" (large purse/handbag, small backpack, laptop case, diaper bag) that theoretically is small enough to fit underneath the seat. Which is put into one of the plastic tubs with said items removed, thus much faster to reclaim, reorganize and head to your gate than having to open and close a suitcase.

If even the tiniest of items in a carry on suitcase is deemed suspicious upon x-ray your case (and you) will be pulled out of the line for extra screening--which usually involves TSA unceremoniously dumping the entire contents onto a table. Holding up the line is the least of your worries should this happen.

Edited by fishywood

Any item that may be required to be removed for inspection by the TSA (laptop, your ziploc bag of tiny liquids) should not be in your carry-on suitcase but in your "personal item" (large purse/handbag, small backpack, laptop case, diaper bag) that theoretically is small enough to fit underneath the seat. Which is put into one of the plastic tubs with said items removed, thus much faster to reclaim, reorganize and head to your gate than having to open and close a suitcase.

If even the tiniest of items in a carry on suitcase is deemed suspicious upon x-ray your case (and you) will be pulled out of the line for extra screening--which usually involves TSA unceremoniously dumping the entire contents onto a table. Holding up the line is the least of your worries should this happen.

Not everyone's "carry-on" is a suitcase! Mine is a small roller bag that can fit under most seats.

To the OP: At most airports, you would not be required to take out the Nook. However, if any airport has specific requirements they are generally well signed -- just pay attention. Last month when I flew out of Rome, everyone was required to remove EVERY electronic device AND charger from their carry-ons and put them into a separate clear plastic bag (provided) for screening. However, they did not have to be turned on.

Dramatic much?

I have traveled over 2 million miles in the last 15 years and not once have my bags or seen anyone else's bag dumped on the table. Yes if there is an item in your bag that is unable to be identified on x-ray or they identify a contraband item then they will take you and your bags to a table where the agent will open your bag and look for the contents. They will wear gloves, I always ask them to put on a new pair if they are going to touch items in my bag. They don't want to look through your bag as much as you don't want them to look through your bag. Make their job easy by having your bag organized and easy to process. Don't pack contraband. Separate similar small items using a series of gallon ziploc bags so they don't actually have to touch the items and just can inspect through the plastic. For example, I have a gallon bag for my hair tools (round brush, comb, paddle brush, hair ties) and another baggie for my lingerie.

I guess it all depends on where you travel. Usually DH gets the once-over because of his knee replacement and often the wire from his heart surgery sets of alarms - this time he breezed through and I was the "person of interest."

We just returned from a trip to Japan and in Tokyo's Narita airport, my large Lug travel purse came under very close scrutiny. First of all we had to take out all of our electronics (yes, even my e-reader) and put them in a separate tray. After my purse went through the x-ray, a guard asked if he could go through my purse because there were some "abnormalities" - of course I said yes, knowing full well I had nothing to be worried about. Oh my gosh, he went through absolutely everything from top to bottom, sent it for another trip through the x-ray and then asked "Do you have coins?" Yes, I had a coin purse with about $46 worth of Japanese coins that I planned on trying to spend out before boarding the plane - he made me spill out all the coins into a dish. I'm still not sure what he was looking for, but I sure got the once over! Note to self: next time, use as much coin as possible before getting to the airport. LOL

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Dramatic much?

I have traveled over 2 million miles in the last 15 years and not once have my bags or seen anyone else's bag dumped on the table. Yes if there is an item in your bag that is unable to be identified on x-ray or they identify a contraband item then they will take you and your bags to a table where the agent will open your bag and look for the contents. They will wear gloves, I always ask them to put on a new pair if they are going to touch items in my bag. They don't want to look through your bag as much as you don't want them to look through your bag. Make their job easy by having your bag organized and easy to process. Don't pack contraband. Separate similar small items using a series of gallon ziploc bags so they don't actually have to touch the items and just can inspect through the plastic. For example, I have a gallon bag for my hair tools (round brush, comb, paddle brush, hair ties) and another baggie for my lingerie.

Lucky you. I've had this happen twice. Yep, everything taken out of my backpack. I already had my kippie bag and laptop out (I didn't have one of those whiz bang "TSA Laptop carriers" at the time). I think the Smurf didn't like how I had all my electronics cables jumbled in one case. Or, the fact that i always opt out of the nude-o-scope if I don't get my PreCheck and I am always prepared for retaliation from the Smurfs (I finally got used to the "vjj" chops I'd get).

For the OP: keep the ereader/tablet as the first thing you'd grab out of the bag. Listen carefully to the "barker" at your line. If the barker is in a good mood, you may not have to take the item out. If the barker is in a bad mood, just grab it quickly out of the bag and put it in it's own tub. If you get to travel enough (I used to have to travel for work), you get used to the incomprehensible way the "rules" are applied.

I had all my electronics cables jumbled in one case.

I hope to convince my husband to put them in a see through bag. He has them in a small cloth bag. His stuff gets inspected frequently because he carries - ordinary - electronic gear. From house keys to wallet (Beijing) to tablet (Toronto) to camera, everything has been scrutinized at one time or another. But he never had to turn on anything. We now put some of it in my cross body bag.

A very grumpy TSA guy gave my husband grief for having too many cables. Admittedly they probably looked like spaghetti. He keeps them neatly rolled up in separate ziploc bags now and has had no further problems.

Not everyone's "carry-on" is a suitcase! Mine is a small roller bag that can fit under most seats.

To the OP: At most airports, you would not be required to take out the Nook. However, if any airport has specific requirements they are generally well signed -- just pay attention. Last month when I flew out of Rome, everyone was required to remove EVERY electronic device AND charger from their carry-ons and put them into a separate clear plastic bag (provided) for screening. However, they did not have to be turned on.

Rome is still doing that? Was surprised the first time they handed me the bag. The second time I was prepared. Now I keep all electronics together JIC this happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

please forgive this question that might be obvious to regular travelers....but do I need to expect to remove and turn on my nook when I go through security.....for some reason my nook is a little slow to turn on (would be real slow if holding up a line) .... just wondered if it is a small chance or great chance it might be checked in Vancouver Canada airport coming back through security and customs......thanks for your help

Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier - especially since all the replies so far seem to specify TSA, who do not operate in Vancouver (thank your preferred Deity). I cannot remember the last time I had to remove a tablet of any type in any Canadian airport, and have literally never been asked to take out my e-reader anywhere except one trip through Amsterdam - where even our cameras and phones had to be removed.

Almost always the staff member at the front end of the conveyor at YVR will ask if you have a laptop or other electronics in the bag - I always have the laptop removed already - so I take the opportunity to double-check if they also want me to remove my tablets (every time for years, both a kindle e-reader and a similar-sized tablet) and the reply has always been "no" and the scanner operator has never given me any hassle.

Dramatic much?

NO !! Not dramatic at all. I have had the contents of my bag dumped out on a table by TSA----twice, once in Chicago and once in Phoenix. I also had my carry on dumped on a table in Sydney. I was in line behind an elderly woman when the TSA took a pill container out and dumped out all her pills----at JFK. She was in tears.

Don't discount what people say has happened to them just because it's never happened to you, just like you might have experienced something that none of us here have ever experienced.

Hey, think of the alternatives. I for one am very glad that bags are searched thoroughly and every person screened. If there are hold ups because of this then again think what could happen. We can never be too complacent. Remember Lockerbie and other disasters.

Hey, think of the alternatives. I for one am very glad that bags are searched thoroughly and every person screened. If there are hold ups because of this then again think what could happen. We can never be too complacent. Remember Lockerbie and other disasters.

Maybe Australia has competent, actual airport security. The US, sadly, does not. Not every bag is searched, not every person screened. There are sketchy people who deliver food and such to airside facilities and get to bypass TSA. Shoddy background checks of applicants have led to criminals being hired. The setup by TSA is to give merely the impression of security for the "anything for security" set. If it was true security, more qualified people would be hired. We got subjected to x-ray radiation through the now-discredited-and-discarded Rapiscan scanners because a former Homeland Security Secretary was actually a lobbyist for the company (he made millions from it).

A simple "mag & bag" would be sufficient if it were performed properly and competently.

While a Kindle is not a Nook, I will share that I traveled through about eight airports in the past month on my way to Europe and back and ALWAYS was asked to put my Kindle in a bin and they also unzipped the case it to lay it open. I also had to take off my fitbit. Any electronic devices need to be shown. This experience applied to airports in the USA and in western and central Europe.

Rome is still doing that? Was surprised the first time they handed me the bag. The second time I was prepared. Now I keep all electronics together JIC this happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This was only a couple of weeks after the Brussels airport bombing. I think most European airports were/are on higher alert.

I think that you should be prepared to take it out and even turn it on. Chances of this occurring are almost nil but who knows what can happen if you happen to get a 'new man on the job' or if there is some sort of heightened security alert.

We have had the misfortune to be stuck in a security line during an alert. Lots of suits running about so we knew something was up. It took us quite some time to clear the security because the agents were inspecting everything. We did not like it but these folks were doing their job and they were trying to protect us from harm.