Breakfast items

Are waffles and eggs benedict still available in the lido restaurant or are they only available in the MDR? I wasn't sure after reading some recently posted menus.

Thanks

Marcia

I did notice on my recent cruise on the Veendam that the new Lido Market is set up just a little differently so I agree one should "tour" the area first to locate items you want. Subtle changes only.

I hope the sliced tomatoes and cheese is still there. It's my favorite "first breakfast" :D

they only offered corned beef hash once and it was cold and under cooked, they should put it on the grill or in a pan for a few minutes. No chipped beef which is a favorite as well. The waffles also were cold and had been made much earlier. Otherwise the breakfast selection were very good. Found the fried toast with the English breafast interesting, seemed like it was deep fried.

they only offered corned beef hash once and it was cold and under cooked, they should put it on the grill or in a pan for a few minutes. No chipped beef which is a favorite as well. The waffles also were cold and had been made much earlier. Otherwise the breakfast selection were very good. Found the fried toast with the English breafast interesting, seemed like it was deep fried.

Was this in the dining room?

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

Before any meal in the Lido Restaurant, I survey the offerings before making any selections. Unless, of course, I know exactly what I want.

Lido waffles, when they are freshly made, are delicious and the warm fruit sauces available make them more so. When the waffles have been sitting for awhile: well, they are lacking. I think the warm fruit sauces are supposed to make them warm enough to be enjoyed, But, usually miss the mark, as far as I am concerned.

Before any meal in the Lido Restaurant, I survey the offerings before making any selections. Unless, of course, I know exactly what I want.

Lido waffles, when they are freshly made, are delicious and the warm fruit sauces available make them more so. When the waffles have been sitting for awhile: well, they are lacking. I think the warm fruit sauces are supposed to make them warm enough to be enjoyed, But, usually miss the mark, as far as I am concerned.

This is excellent advice. The "orientation lap" for us is to see what is looking good and fresh at the time. The sometimes pathetic offerings of waffles, as noted above, are really not worth more than a glance and a move-on to the next station.

This orientation lap applies even more to lunch, with the daily changing offerings.

Multitasking lets you scout out the tables, too.

Edited by SilvertoGold

This is excellent advice. The "orientation lap" for us is to see what is looking good and fresh at the time. The sometimes pathetic offerings of waffles, as noted above, are really not worth more than a glance and a move-on to the next station.

This orientation lap applies even more to lunch, with the daily changing offerings.

Multitasking lets you scout out the tables, too.

That's how we "do" the Lido, too. Check out everything, then decide :)

But the waffles? No, can't handle the waffles, fresh or not so fresh. I've tried them a few times, and for me the calorie/enjoyment ratio doesn't work.

Here is a Lido Market Layout for the Signature-class ships that reflects each meal examples:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Signature-Lido-Restaurant-layout-no-background.pdf

What does the Red Arrow at the bottom of the diagram signify?

Am I correct in thinking that this Lido Market layout is now installed on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

What does the Red Arrow at the bottom of the diagram signify?

Am I correct in thinking that this Lido Market layout is now installed on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Thanks for the editing catch. I added back the accidentally removed "To AFT Lido".

The Lido Market is now fully operational on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Changes that I noticed:

• New signs for each serving station (Menu boards now on each station but due to mirror image placement, one side has them at the head of the serving line and the other side at the end of the line)
  • Only made-to-order salads at the Salad station. Pre-made salads across from aft Beverage Station
  • Two stations on each side - randomly in service
  • Slice name changed to "New York Pizza"
  • Pizza carryout boxes available
  • Stewards now fetch beverages from the Beverage Station (hopefully before you have finished eating) in addition to cleaning tables
  • Tables are set with glassware and utensils "folded" in a patterned napkin (makes you think that the table is occupied)
  • Eggs Benedict variations reduced
  • Two omelet stations on each side - randomly in service
  • Entree steam tables replaced with induction tops with items served from skillets
  • Only pre-made bistro-style sandwiches for lunch but served all afternoon
  • Dessert sprinkles are now in a dispenser controlled by the Dessert Station server
  • New York Pizza now makes only individual pizzas with choice of toppings and sauce, to include sweet pizza option
  • New York Pizza now has salads and desserts in display case to make one-stop dining
  • New posted menu format for meals except for Late Snack
  • More choices for dinner rolls
  • All appetizers now served opposite the aft Beverage Station
  • Noticed some mornings served "long-life" milk
  • More ice cream choices each day

No changes that I noticed:

• Slow cleaning tables
  • Passengers reading books after finishing their meal while other passengers searched for open tables
  • Shortage of chocolate chip cookies

Edited by Crew News

ARGH! Just off the Prinsendam (earlier this month) which we believe was the last ship to have the old Lido. As usual, we enjoyed the custom made sandwiches and pretty decent self-serve salad bar. The pre-made sandwiches (which they just started) were not particularly good (anyone want a BLT on untoasted bread). So now we have "progress" where they have taken away custom made sandwiches, self-serve salad bar, etc. Sounds like HAL is moving to the old Horn and Hardart Automat kind of Lido. One might consider that the Automats went out of business years ago. We just booked the Zuiderdam for 24 days next month, but we are now thinking....thank goodness that most days will be in port where we can buy lunch off the ship (HAL will be happy). On the other hand, not sure we want to do our long HAL cruises (with many weeks of sea days) if we have to live with pre-made soggy sandwiches, pre-made soggy salads, etc. Want to get a Tuna on a croissant with tomato and mayonnaise.... not any more! Want to make a grilled ham and cheese? Not any more. But HAL would call this progress?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The pre-made salads, macaroni, pea, bean, potato, etc on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month were not "soggier" than they were supposed to be. The made-to-order salads are made by a HAL server as you both point and say exactly what you want in the bowl. They also dress the salad to your wishes.

This change stops the messy ingredients and "touching" issues present before the switch to no "hands-on" at the Salad Station.

I am still wondering why someone chose a "tilted" salad bowl and not just a regular bowl.

IMHO a big "thumbs up" to the Salad Station changes.