Might be time to try MSC.....

We have 2 cabins booked for 4 of us on MSC Divina at the end of next month. Nice looking ship, I used to be able to see her docked in Miami when I worked in one of the Biscayne Blvd office buildings. I've been on numerous NCL cruises and have never had a bad experience. I don't consider myself partial to any one cruise line but I've been on more NCL and Holland America ships than any other. I like NCL. I enjoy cruising, I don't care where they go or all the ins and outs of the ship. After reading Cruise Critic for a few years, I've opined that too many people expect VIP treatment and want a 'perfect' cruise, which is never going to happen. I'd rather be on any ship going any where than in a land based vacation in a hotel.
I agree. I pretty much cruise on only three lines and enjoy them all, as they are all different in their own way. Over the years of cruising with all them, they have all made changes; some I like and some I don't, but I do understand two things. One is that they are not making all their policies and/or changes just so I will be happy, so I live with them or I don't and two, there are many other cruise lines, so if I don't like what someone does, I can take my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Applied for status match last November and never heard. Wrote to their "contact us" and never heard back. Checked on MSC forum and people were applying recently on line and getting response anywhere from next day to roughly a week so I tried again and got in a week.

Just did a screen shot of NCL status as others did.

Suites on the new ships overall smaller but so are the prices. Looking at Divina this Fall or Seaside when it comes out. Plus their private island will be coming online for the Seaside.

Thanks for the info.

The service we received on our May NCL Escape cruise was the worst we've ever encountered in all our NCL cruises. But it appears milage may very as I've read people who attended the meet and greet were singled out and received good service. But were ready to try another cruise line.

A while back I sent our platinum info to MSC and never heard back. Thanks to your post I just sent it in again. Hopefully the second time is the charm. :D

We loved the service on the Escape so that wasn't an issue. We are also booked on the new MSC Seaside for 2018. First time with them as well. The Seaside looks great and cutting edge. The prices are great too and to be honest we are looking more forward to the MSC Seaside in 2018 then we are on the new Carnival Vista for 2017. We aren't loyal to any particular line and I feel they all deserve a chance. How anyone can only sail with one line and not try another is beyond me.

I was interested in Vista but I think I'll pass (not booked, at the moment). My older sister (never been on a cruise) wants to go on Carnival but I'm pushing her more towards Escape for 2017.

I took my younger sister on Escape (first cruise for her) and she wants to go again. I'm trying to keep my older sister (and her teens) out of the Haven because I don't want to spoil them for a first cruise.

Plus, I want her to get her "feet wet" to see if she'll like cruising before making her dive into the Haven.

I'm also like you in that I'm not "loyal" to any particular line. Once the H.O.T.S. itineraries mesh with my schedule, I'll try that as well. I think I just like new ships. If they build'em, I'm there. :D

I have been disappointed with NCL over the past couple of years, the new fees, level of service declining etc..

After I saw this I figured it might be time to try MSC

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

I will let you all know how it goes.

Cruise on!

Good luck; yes, let us know. I have only 4 people who sailed MSC. One loved it, the other 3 had nothing but complaints except raving about the beauty of the ships. As NCLs fees, I agree about that, just like the majority of the lines, but service: with rare exception I have been very satisfied with the service. The complaints we have had were years ago. Our last cabin steward was just ok; no extra tip for him.

I keep wanting to try them too.

However, I don't like that they have set seating times in their dining rooms and still have formal nights. And what's with the fact that you have to pay for a higher level balcony in order to get to pick your dining times, otherwise you may be sent to the buffet (where they have table service).

I keep wanting to try them too.

However, I don't like that they have set seating times in their dining rooms and still have formal nights. And what's with the fact that you have to pay for a higher level balcony in order to get to pick your dining times, otherwise you may be sent to the buffet (where they have table service).

You mean everyone doesn't get to pick their dining times? They wouldn't seriously make someone have dinner in the buffet instead of the MDR, would they? Edited by NLH Arizona

You mean everyone doesn't get to pick their dining times? They wouldn't seriously make someone have dinner in the buffet instead of the MDR, would they?

From what I've been reading, there's an overflow area in the buffet. They have tables and waiter service, but (to me, at least) it's still the buffet. The "cheaper" balconies may request their times, but the other balconies have first choice. Weird, I know.

I have been disappointed with NCL over the past couple of years, the new fees, level of service declining etc..

After I saw this I figured it might be time to try MSC

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

I will let you all know how it goes.

Cruise on!

The prices don't appear to be any better than NCL or RCCL.

Actually, they are much better.

I have 50 plus cruises with NCL, all but two in suite or haven. My last two,on Getaway and Jewel were abominable as far as service, activities and food.

I have Divina Yacht Club booked for next week, and the price was about half of the Escape haven fare. Everyone I have spoken to was blown away by the level of service. And gratuities for the butler and concierge are included in the all inclusive rate. So, we shall see.....;)

I plan to do a comparison review on return.

MSC's Seaside Yacht Club (Deluxe Suite) for 2018 is about $1,000 less than NCL Escape Haven (H6) was for 2016. Same month, both times kids sail(ed) free.

Both 1st year ships.

I can't speak on other room types but for me, MSC's price was better with similar perks/promos. I'll know which is actually better in about 2 years. :D

We just got off Davina 2 weeks ago. We have sailed NCL many times and like NCL , but we would sail MSC again in a heartbeat. The ship is beautiful and very well maintained. The service was perfect for us. The service is un obtrusive but a wave of the hand and they will come right over. The room steward was about one of the best we have ever had. Meals lasted about 1hr 10-20 minutes. The last sailing on NCL spirit meals took about 2 1/2 hours (try that with a 3 year old). Entertainment was good, there was a show every night but, some were repetitive (same performance different costume). No smell of smoke anywhere except one small area out on deck. Only complaint was not enough free dining venues which kept the buffet crowded.

With the delivery of Seaside (Nov 2017) MSC is surely getting a piece of the NCL pie in the Caribbean.

The next NCL newbuild will be delivered Q2 2018, 2018 promises to be an interesting year with Royal's 4th Oasis class and Celebrity taking delivery of their first second gen megaship.

Edited by FreestyleNovice

I haven't been on NCL since 1995, so I can't talk about that, but I was on the Divina last month in the Yacht Club. As long as you are in the YC you don't have to spend one penny. They have buffets in the Top Sail lounge and at the pool. All drinks in your mini bar are included and replaced at least once a day. Fresh fruit in your cabin daily.Sparkling wine in cabin upon arrival.A butler that will do anything for you, and a special restaurant just for YC members.We bought an 18 drink coupon book for $84.00 so we could drink elsewhere. The only smoking, as has been stated indoors is in the cigar lounge. Outside it's port side at the pool deck, or in the Yacht Club at the YC pool portside.Service, especially in the YC is second to none, and I've booked the YC again on the Seaside, which is a new ship built for the American market. That should be here the end of 2017.That ship will be year round, and the Divina seasonal. They are also building a resort island in the Bahamas with a dock.That will be ready the same time.There are 3 or 4 specialty restaurants, but I didn't use them so I can't comment.

I haven't been on NCL since 1995, so I can't talk about that, but I was on the Divina last month in the Yacht Club. As long as you are in the YC you don't have to spend one penny. They have buffets in the Top Sail lounge and at the pool. All drinks in your mini bar are included and replaced at least once a day. Fresh fruit in your cabin daily.Sparkling wine in cabin upon arrival.A butler that will do anything for you, and a special restaurant just for YC members.We bought an 18 drink coupon book for $84.00 so we could drink elsewhere. The only smoking, as has been stated indoors is in the cigar lounge. Outside it's port side at the pool deck, or in the Yacht Club at the YC pool portside.Service, especially in the YC is second to none, and I've booked the YC again on the Seaside, which is a new ship built for the American market. That should be here the end of 2017.That ship will be year round, and the Divina seasonal. They are also building a resort island in the Bahamas with a dock.That will be ready the same time.There are 3 or 4 specialty restaurants, but I didn't use them so I can't comment.

I took a second look at MSC pricing...this time for the Yacht Club, and it does seem llike a very good deal. At first I was looking at pricing with the beverage package, but then I found out that's really not necessary because the YC comes with drinks included (as long as you stay in the Yacht Club area.)

My only concern is the size of the YC1. It seems quite small for a suite. Same with the balcony.

What category YC did you have?

One thing to consider also, MSC's private island that they are developing currently will have it's own pier-no tendering. That's a big consideration for me in not missing the island due to tendering.

I've only ever sailed on NCL, but I try my first MSC cruise in a week on Divina. Status matching was easy, I sent in a screenshot as well. I'm so happy with the way NCL handles dining, going to the traditional style is going to be an adventure. The ship looks great, even if it's missing the Away-class activity I'm used to. I'm looking forward to a much slower pace on a cruise. I'll have to come back and do a review about it from a frequent NCL'er perspective.

Yes, please-----I'd be interested to read a comparative review.

I watch Dream Cruises on the AWE channel. The Divinia was featured on one episode, and it looked lovely.

What will your itinerary be?

One thing to consider also, MSC's private island that they are developing currently will have it's own pier-no tendering. That's a big consideration for me in not missing the island due to tendering.

Plus there is a separate YC area there as I understand.

YC1. You are right about the cabin and the balcony. They are all the same size. The cabin is a little bigger than a regular cabin, but what you get with it makes the difference.

YC1 (from what we know)...

SE_YC_DeLuxe_ADA_459x258_29492_1139_459-258_Image.jpg

SE_YC_DeLuxe_Suite_ESP_22022016.jpg

...it looks like it could be either bed by balcony or sofa-bed by balcony. I have plenty of time to change if it's the wrong one.

Royal suite was already taken and to be honest, we don't need that much space. A Haven DOS vs Yacht Club Royal Suite is a match-up for someone else to judge, not me. :D

DCL's private island, Castaway Cay, has a pier. We missed it 2 out of 3 cruises due to weather. It's naive to think a pier vs. tendering means you won't miss a port.

I'm also thinking of trying MSC. Not because of any issues with NCL, but because I think it might be nice to try something different. I'd be interested in any comparisons between the two lines.

this is strictly hear say as I haven't been on MSC: They are much more formal and very European compared to NCL with beautiful ships. The service is less than good and the food is subject to what one likes but not great. Again this is subjective. Ncl has much better entertainment. Again all a matter of opinion.

We have 2 cabins booked for 4 of us on MSC Divina at the end of next month. Nice looking ship, I used to be able to see her docked in Miami when I worked in one of the Biscayne Blvd office buildings. I've been on numerous NCL cruises and have never had a bad experience. I don't consider myself partial to any one cruise line but I've been on more NCL and Holland America ships than any other. I like NCL. I enjoy cruising, I don't care where they go or all the ins and outs of the ship. After reading Cruise Critic for a few years, I've opined that too many people expect VIP treatment and want a 'perfect' cruise, which is never going to happen. I'd rather be on any ship going any where than in a land based vacation in a hotel.

Pretty much agree: too many people expect to much when cruising. I just love the idea of having my cabin cleaned twice a day; choose where to eat, when and where, plus nightly entertainment plus day time activities. I can't get all that at land based resort for anywhere near the price we pay to cruise.

I will add, one bad experience with service should not result in abandoning a hotel or cruise line, but it is also important for people to try new adventure. There is a reason for so many cruise lines. What one may find wonderful another finds yucky. I know we tried almost all mass marketed lines before we settled on NCL exclusively and the only reason we stay with them is: we can only afford to cruise once a year anymore, so NCL is what works for us.

Edited by newmexicoNita

this is strictly hear say as I haven't been on MSC: They are much more formal and very European compared to NCL with beautiful ships. The service is less than good and the food is subject to what one likes but not great. Again this is subjective. Ncl has much better entertainment. Again all a matter of opinion.

The service I received on MSC was very very good. Better than NCL and reminded me of how RCI used to be. Perhaps try it.

...of the Yacht Club.

Youtube MSC Yacht Club

You will be pleasantly surprised. It is the only thing that compares to the Norwegian Haven at sea....but soooo much cheaper.

The YC1 rooms are not very large but elegant.

We usually book cruises fairly last minute. The MSC Divina is the only one we book out one year because we want a YC2 cabin. There are only 3 of these. They are the size of a small apartment. Totally separate large bedroom & large living room. There is NO balcony but floor to ceiling windows in both rooms. You can lay in bed & watch the sun rise ! Bathroom with 2 sinks, separate large shower & tub. Separate dressing table area.

We pay about $2000. each

With alcohol included, private pool area, lounge, etc....it is the best buy at sea.

Don't believe me??? youtube it !