Couples Views of RCCL Largest Ships

I understand that the largest ships have more amenities if you are traveling with children; however, when you are traveling as a couple is the larger size and amenities also an advantage? My husband and I are now empty nesters and retired and are considering trying one of the mammoth ships. Just curious about views of others that travel just as a pair.

Vicki

We are both retired and love the Oasis class ships. We have been on the Allur and Oasis several times. We do not partake of the flow rider or zipline (Although DH did try that the first time we were on there). Lots of other stuff to see and do.

It truly depends on if the large ships offer something you can't get elsewhere.

My wife and I are both 36 and have never had kids. I prefer Royal, she prefers Celebrity, so we ensure we cruise both.

My preference does revolve around the flowrider, I'm on that thing everyday trying to get better, while kids half my age make me look my age.

My wife's preference is for fine dining, which Celebrity does better. So, as a compromise when on Royal, we do Chef's Table, 150 Central Park and Izumi.

On the big ships, the adult area is nice, but you will always see kids.

Hope my two cents helps. Thanks,

We are empty nesters and we like the large ships for the variety of restaurants and the solarium areas as well as the entertainment options. We don't do the flow rider, but did ripcord on Anthem which was a blast.

I understand that the largest ships have more amenities if you are traveling with children; however, when you are traveling as a couple is the larger size and amenities also an advantage? My husband and I are now empty nesters and retired and are considering trying one of the mammoth ships. Just curious about views of others that travel just as a pair.

Vicki

For us the main draw of the megaships is the superior entertainment (IMO).

Guest maddycat

We're retirees and have been on 10 different RCI ships. So far, our favorite is the Anthem. We love the choices/variety in entertainment, dining, activities, even pools.

We're retirees and have been on 10 different RCI ships. So far, our favorite is the Anthem. We love the choices/variety in entertainment, dining, activities, even pools.

Glad to hear that. We are taking our first cruise without family or kids; July 9th Anthem. Can't wait to try this class of ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vicki

We have chalked it up as a lessons learned - In our opinion, the Quantum larger class vessels aren't suited to couples like us. Couples, IMO, are shoved to the wayside while the larger table groups are wowed to death by staff.

We are going on Brilliance next year, woohoo! Back to traditional dining...and, these different restaurants? It's pretty much all the same food in Chic, American Icon Grill, Grande, etc. The specialty restaurants were nice, however, especially Jamie Oliver's. I wouldn't shake a stick again at Chops Grille though.

Wife and I have been on Oasis both with and without our kids and be love both options, alone and with the kids. To us, we enjoy so many different options to do whatever, whenever we want. So many pools, so many dining options, many bar options....the list goes on. I think that any cruise is what you make of it, some people love it and some don't. I will say this, I can have a blast on a dingy, as well as a megaship!! Doing Disney next weekend with my wife, can't wait, no kids, just her and I.....

I have sailed on the Oasis four times in the past six years, and the experiences were divided into two camps, quite different from each other. I sailed twice with my live-in family - DD & DSIL in their 50s, and young adult grandson. DSIL is wheelchair bound with Muscular Dystrophy. He had no interest in any of the shows, and spent much of his time out on their accessible ocean balcony. DGS & I shared a connecting cabin, and he slept a lot. I managed to coax him out to eat breakfast and lunch with me. Organizing things during the day with DD & DSIL proved problematic, and I wound up exploring the ship on my own a lot of the time. However, I enjoyed the four of us getting together for dinner in the MDR every night. Our delightful waitress totally spoiled my DSIL, and he lapped it up.

The other two times it was just me (age 76) & my younger DD (age 51). She went off by herself to take photographs early in the morning and while I took afternoon naps. However, we ate all our meals together, went to the shows and explored the ship together, and I felt more at ease with just the two of us. Our first cabin was an interior, but this past February we splurged a little and got a Central Park balcony. We loved it so much that we'll be doing that again in February 2017 - and this time for two weeks on the Harmony. We're strictly budget travelers. We don't gamble, drink alcohol, or eat in the upcharge restaurants. Our only splurge was for Internet Access (for one device at a time).

Since I am the main cook, grocery shopper, etc. when I am at home with my live-in family, having meals and snacks whenever and wherever I choose to eat, choices of entertainment every day of the cruise, and a fun traveling companion to play cards and Scrabble and go to shows with, being on the ship is a true vacation for me.

Fortunately, I traveled extensively when I was younger (often with all three of my kids when they were growing up), so I'm happy to stay on board at most of the ports. At 76, it takes something pretty special to drag me out in the heat for an excursion.

We are soon-to-be empty nesters (in 1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days, but who's counting ;)) and Oasis class is our favorite class out of every ship and line we've sailed. Plenty of fun to have even without little ones. :)

Edited by jennmaybe