To go or not to go

Afloat

Recently paid in full for a European cruise for September. This is a special trip to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We are nervous with the current state of affairs in Europe. and are conflicted as to whether we should still go. We have trip insurance but does not cover cancel for any reason. If we cancel we will be out $2500.

Would appreciate others thoughts as to still taking our trip.

We are in the midst of planning a land vacation in Europe in a few weeks and though we have asked ourselves whether we should still go, we realize we live in NYC and anything can happen here too. So, we still plan on going; can't let them win.

I think virtually all of the cruise companies have removed Istanbul from their itineraries and substituted other ports. The other locations of attacks are France and Belgium. From what I have read, these countries have the French language in common with a number of North African countries.

The rest of Europe seems to be the same as it always has been. Attacks have been at night when people are out revelling. Usually cruise ships leave before nightfall, so that reduces risk.

if you are unable to recoup your costs via travel insurance, perhaps you can just keep the option to cancel at the back of your mind and see how you feel much closer to the time.

We are booked on a 12 night Western Mediterranean cruise in May. We would not even think about cancelling. We refuse to stop living our lives because of these monsters. Terrible things are happening all over the world, including the U.S. and even here in Canada.

Don't let the terrorists win! Enjoy your life and your cruise. Be vigilant, but don't be afraid to explore these amazing ports. My fear is that I will spend the rest of my life in my house and never experience what life has to offer.

Look at the recent port changes because of Istanbul. The cruise line does not want its ship and its passengers in the middle of upheaval. They cannot anticipate everything, but they will do what they must to keep you as safe as possible.

I would still go. I think you're safer on a cruise. If something erupts and airports are closed, you could be stranded in a city on lockdown. (How long were the Paris airports closed last winter?) But with the cruise, your hotel can leave, even if airports are closed.

I am a firm believer in when your time is up your time is up. NO matter where you are or what you are doing. By the same token I don't play in the middle of a highway. If you let fear rule out a possible great trip then the terrorist win. No cruise line will knowingly put you in harms way. That is why many of them have pulled out of Turkey and Egypt. But you have to do your part to be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn't feel right then leave the area. Avoid huge crowds, blend in, listen to the state department warnings, and pay attention.

Edited by Bobocasey

It's really up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. We've just seen an deadly attack by a low-tech weapon- a truck. Could happen anywhere.

"Absent intelligence, the same way you can't stop someone from shooting into a crowd, there isn't a magic way to stop someone from driving into a crowd,"- NYPD Deputy Commissioner John Miller.

That being said, we are doing a cruise leaving from Europe next month and plan on being more mindful of our surroundings...still knowing anything can happen.

What is going to happen to cruises in Europe is the Million dollar question?

Cruise lines will not expose the passengers to problems . Like now many have cancelled Turkey for 2016 and 2017. Cruises are safer than land travel in Europe .

Recently paid in full for a European cruise for September. This is a special trip to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We are nervous with the current state of affairs in Europe. and are conflicted as to whether we should still go. We have trip insurance but does not cover cancel for any reason. If we cancel we will be out $2500.

Next week I have to overnight in Dallas Tx. In September I am on an Eastern Med cruise. Guess which is giving me more concern! (In case of any doubt its the area that has the second amendment to its constitution) :eek:

I know that there has been previous threads about the numbers of people killed in traffic accidents; the numbers killed in sports and the numbers drowned during swimming, but in reality, the chances of you being in the place where the trouble happens and just as slim as the changes of you becoming a multi millionaire in a state lottery. :D

Pack your bags and come over here, you will enjoy it.

Edited by VMax1700

US citizens: Sign up for the US Dept of State "STEP" program which is their early warning system for travelers and creates a contact should anything happen while abroad.

Their "warnings" are maddenly vague and of little specific help, but it does create a link between the State Department and its now duty to inform you and know your whereabouts.

But apparently this Turkish coup caught the US administration flat-footed, but even without the "warning" there would have been a link that you were in the vicinity with the local embassies.

Edited by OlsSalt

We are in the midst of planning a land vacation in Europe in a few weeks and though we have asked ourselves whether we should still go, we realize we live in NYC and anything can happen here too. So, we still plan on going; can't let them win.

We are booked on a 12 night Western Mediterranean cruise in May. We would not even think about cancelling. We refuse to stop living our lives because of these monsters ... My fear is that I will spend the rest of my life in my house and never experience what life has to offer.

I am a firm believer in when your time is up your time is up. NO matter where you are or what you are doing ... If you let fear rule out a possible great trip then the terrorist win ...

Let me see if I understand these posts: if we don't want the terrorists to "win", we should travel in areas that have a higher likelihood of being attacked? IMO the terrorists win when they kill people, not when they cause a few people to change their travel/vacation plans.

So, OP, this is a very personal matter that only you can decide, based on your sense of what is right for you and your family. For me, the answer is easy: my life and the lives of my dear family are worth more than $2500, so I would cancel the cruise. JMO

Edited by avian777

Your biggest worry is likely the drive to your local airport.......

To put it in perspective, more people are crushed to death by their televisions or furniture each year, than they are targeted or harmed by any terrorist. The police in your own city pose more of a threat to your liberty than any terrorist ever would. According to 2011 data, the chances of you being attacked by a terrorist are roughly 1 in 20 million. Compared to the likelihood of you drowning in a bathtub (1 in 800,000), losing your life in a car crash (1 in 19,000), dying in a building fire (1 in 99,000), or being struck by lightning (1 in 5,500,000). We should honestly be more concerned about heart disease, strokes, or cancer, before we should worry about any terrorist threat. It should also be noted that terrorist incidents have only increased in prevalence since the inception of the war on terror back in 2001. Clearly, the ongoing warfare is only contributing to more of the same problem and that warfare isn't justified when we should more rightly be afraid of things like tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, dog bites, excessive heat, and bicycle accidents

We have traveled during 9/11, 2006,(delayed 4 hours at SFO during Heathrows bomb scares at airport!! Lost luggage which we got 4 mos later at Thanksgiving. On a cruise with WindStar out of Venice traveling for a month and 1/2.) Now leaving for Paris on Sept. 2nd, staying at a Hilton which was targeted for the area during November attack.!! 10 days there followed by us in Marseille which had the EURO 2016 attacks of Russian and English spectators!!

Now on Sept 18-Oct 8th we have a apt. Right on The Promenade des Anglise

Where we will be which had from my best friend who is in the apt. A full site of the terrible tragedy!!!

Will take a train to Milan and Venice to do our Eurodam to Barcelona!!!

We will travel with no problem and understand the risks, but for us travel is our life which we enjoy!

Sorry for the long essay, just trying to let you know we have been through a lot of these terrible situations!

Enjoy cruising!!! HAL will take care of you!

Denise :)

Yes, I would still go and this is why. Suppose I stay home and don't go on a cruise to Europe. Instead, I go to the mall, or the theater, or somewhere else. Unfortunately, there is an incident in one of these places and I'm a part of something I wouldn't have been involved in had I gone on the cruise. I was involved in a terrorist attack in London back in the mid 90's, and it didn't keep me from returning to London and Europe many times.

Point is, nowhere is "safe" anymore. Short of going somewhere stupid, I will continue to live my life as I see fit. I just returned from Europe last month and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Edited by mek

This would not necessarily be 'cancel for any reason'. I don't know which insurance agency covers your trip but you need to check with the insurance agency.

For example, this is from the website of one large travel insurance company:

"XXX (deleted name) travel insurance considers international and domestic terrorism to be a covered reason for trip cancellation if a terrorist event happens at your U.S. or foreign destination within 30 days of the day you’re scheduled to arrive. However, you're not covered if there has been a terrorist event at your international destination generally within the 30 days before your plan's effective date. So how does terrorism insurance work?"

"Let's consider some examples:"

"You buy travel insurance for a week sightseeing in London with your daughter. Then the news reports that a bomb has gone off on the Underground in an apparent terrorist attack. If you decide to cancel your trip, your travel insurance would reimburse you for nonrefundable travel costs, because you purchased insurance before any incident occurred."

"A bus explodes in Tel Aviv two weeks before your planned tour of Israel. "Yikes," you think. "Guess insurance is a good idea." You immediately purchase a travel insurance plan to protect your trip. Shortly before you leave, another bus bombing occurs and you decide you're going to cancel the trip. Your travel insurance would not cover your trip cancellation, because you purchased the plan within 30 days of a terrorist incident occurring at your destination."

Your agency may be different so you need to check with them.

This is really a personal decision. It's well and good to say "don't let them win" but if you're going to be so uncomfortable that you will not enjoy the trip, then maybe you should cancel. The terrorists won't know and won't really care.

Let me see if I understand these posts: if we don't want the terrorists to "win", we should travel in areas that have a higher likelihood of being attacked? IMO the terrorists win when they kill people, not when they cause a few people to change their travel/vacation plans.

So, OP, this is a very personal matter that only you can decide, based on your sense of what is right for you and your family. For me, the answer is easy: my life and the lives of my dear family are worth more than $2500, so I would cancel the cruise. JMO

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, this is exactly what terrorists want. Yes, the OP should do what they feel is right for them, but please don't discourage her from living her life to the fullest.

We are leaving for Paris in 3 weeks. Absolutely no intention to stop or change our plans.

We had a 3 week land/train trip planned (London, multi-stops England and Scotland, Amsterdam and Paris) for a week after the bomb explosions in the London Tube and the car bombs at the Glasgow airport.

We refused to stay home - as said before we weren't going to let "them" win. We found there to be ALOT of police everywhere we went and we felt as safe as we would in the US.

We were glad we didn't miss the trip but everyone has to weigh their own comfort level.

We are booked on a 12 night Western Mediterranean cruise in May. We would not even think about cancelling. We refuse to stop living our lives because of these monsters. Terrible things are happening all over the world, including the U.S. and even here in Canada.

Don't let the terrorists win! Enjoy your life and your cruise. Be vigilant, but don't be afraid to explore these amazing ports. My fear is that I will spend the rest of my life in my house and never experience what life has to offer.

Completely Agree!

Sorry Avian777 , agree it's a very personal matter.. But I do agree with Boytje. Lady Arwen, Bobocasey & others who say if we let these terrorists force us to cancel our plans -They are winning!

I have just as much chance of being killed here in the U.S. as I do in Europe... Of course I would stay away from areas which the State Deptartmaent has advised are hot spots if I could, but I will not be forced to cancel my plans.. It has nothing to do with money, it has to do with my refusal to be a coward..

We would go without any hesitation whatsoever. But this is meaningless for the OP.

As others have said, this is a personal decision. No matter what anyone on this forum says, the OP will have to make the decision based upon his/her thoughts or beliefs.

I am with bobocasey, if your destiny calls, it doesn't matter where you are. It never crossed our minds to cancel our European cruise in August. With all the things happening right here in the USA, what are we going to do - just sit at home? No way. Be vigilant wherever you are in the world (home or abroad), keep eyes and ears open, don't put yourself in places you don't belong - that has been true forever not just now. Too many people walk around oblivious to what is going on around them. If you are going to be frightened while on the cruise, stay home, what is $2500 if you are that concerned - just be careful crossing your street.

Completely Agree!

Sorry Avian777 , agree it's a very personal matter.. But I do agree with Boytje. Lady Arwen, Bobocasey & others who say if we let these terrorists force us to cancel our plans -They are winning!

I have just as much chance of being killed here in the U.S. as I do in Europe... Of course I would stay away from areas which the State Deptartmaent has advised are hot spots if I could, but I will not be forced to cancel my plans.. It has nothing to do with money, it has to do with my refusal to be a coward..

With all due respect, Betty, I do not think that being overly cautious or feeling uncomfortable traveling in the present environment is being a coward. That is a pretty strong word. We all have our own comfort levels.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, this is exactly what terrorists want. Yes, the OP should do what they feel is right for them, but please don't discourage her from living her life to the fullest.

The OP asked for our opinions, and that includes encouraging or discouraging. It is not our position to criticize other posters for discouraging.