Will RCL follow Celebrity and add suite class separate dining rooms

Thanks for posting the current Cabana pricing. :)

Sailed on the Allure 5/29/2016. Rented 2 standard cabanas for our family vacation. Price was $295 each.

Sailed to Labadee 18 times the past 4 years. Never was offered a discount for a Barefoot Beach Cabana.

I'm tired of class division. The dining area should be good enough for everyone, and all public areas as well, especially the pool areas where it's crowded anyway. If you want your own "suite dining" area order room service.

All this separation of areas does take away from the majority of cruisers who can't afford to be in a suite. All of us want to have a good time, eat good food and relax on our vacations.

It would be nice to be able to access all the customer areas and not be separated. To not have the ship divided and sectioned off so it's not accessible to most. I'd like to spend time with all my new friends together. I can't do that if we don't go to the same places.

Karl Marx would agree with you.

Karl Marx would agree with you.

Exactly. Redistribution of Wealth? Maybe all the members on this board should be heavily taxed and even those who have never been able to afford a cruise would be able to go. Hey, they could make every cabin an inside and we can all eat the same food at the same time in the same dining roomicon7.gif

So after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that they're two types of cruisers. Those who worked hard, saved all their lives and another group who believes in "fair".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CptSticky

This is true! All food served onboard should meet a certain threshold but you pay extra for a chops or chefs table and that's okay too. You pay premium you should get premium. I've heard that can be hit or miss too[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MDR food is being cooked in bulk, to feed the masses. The food in the specialty restaurants and in CK is being cooked to order. That makes a huge difference.

Too often people refer to the food served in the MDR as 'sub par' in their opinion. I personally have not had bad food served to me in the MDR on the many cruises we have taken. I have ordered something I did not like, and the waiter asked me what I would like instead and I got it. Once I ordered a steak and it was a cooked little more well done, than what I expected it would be, and I could have made a big issue, but did not. The steak was large enough and their was amply 'pinkish' meat for me to enjoy.

I am not sure anyone can tell me with certainty that food in the specialty restaurants is always cooked 'to order'. I can say that in Izumi it is (we do that when we are on a ship that has an Izumi); but the Italian retaurant or even a steak house, may not cook everything 'to order' -- in order to keep the flow of diners moving they probably have to do some pre-preparation.

I don't miss the white glove service that we had 12 years ago, but I do want good quality food and service, NO matter where on a ship I eat; I expect better quality options for food in specialty restaurants and with good service as well. There is never an excuse for anything less.

So after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that they're two types of cruisers. Those who worked hard, saved all their lives and another group who believes in "fair".

Kinda like the population in general.

I'm sorry that I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but I have no problem with the extra perks, including separate dining, and pool. Have you looked at the price difference between a balcony and any suite above a JS? If the suite people stay in their pool, that's less passengers in the main pools.By the way, I'm a balcony person. I can't afford a suite.

It has nothing to do with eating with non-suite passengers. It has to do with the improved food and service in a more intimate dining room.

There's always one. :rolleyes:

Yea I'm the one.

Isn't that the idea of speciality restaurants

I understand that if you pay more you get more, and also thank it has nothing to do with fairness. Also I choose not to pay more just for my room simply because I'm not in there much but that's my choice. But if you think it does not create class divisions,then you probably have a suite booked for your next cruise

Too often people refer to the food served in the MDR as 'sub par' in their opinion. I personally have not had bad food served to me in the MDR on the many cruises we have taken. I have ordered something I did not like, and the waiter asked me what I would like instead and I got it. Once I ordered a steak and it was a cooked little more well done, than what I expected it would be, and I could have made a big issue, but did not. The steak was large enough and their was amply 'pinkish' meat for me to enjoy.

I am not sure anyone can tell me with certainty that food in the specialty restaurants is always cooked 'to order'. I can say that in Izumi it is (we do that when we are on a ship that has an Izumi); but the Italian retaurant or even a steak house, may not cook everything 'to order' -- in order to keep the flow of diners moving they probably have to do some pre-preparation.

I don't miss the white glove service that we had 12 years ago, but I do want good quality food and service, NO matter where on a ship I eat; I expect better quality options for food in specialty restaurants and with good service as well. There is never an excuse for anything less.

You are completely contradicting what you wrote in your previous post.

Thanks for posting the current Cabana pricing. :)

FYI, October 16, 2016 Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Barefoot Beach Cabana pricing:

Standard Cabana: $275

Hilltop Cabana: $349

Beach Front Cabana: $349

Over the Water Cabana: $449

Royal Caribbean has a Suites only dining room called Coastal Kitchen on their Oasis and Quantum class ships. A new Royal Suite Program for these ships was launched in May.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass?ecid=em_6536616&rid=569753692&emsc=RCIN_EM_CAS_NEWSOCT_15_EA_US_CS_PC&empf=Y&emct=PINNACLE%20CLUB&lnkid=Royal_copy_Content

Thanks for the link

We are fortunate after working long and hard we are able to enjoy the finer airline seats, hotel rooms, and cabins on ships.

I would only hope that all persons that take a vacation do it with the awesome knowledge they are seeing a different world than where they live.

If persons pay a higher price for amenities, they should not be criticized nor should the provider be criticized for providing this to them. They paid for it, why would you be upset about this?

I share your belief.

I'm sorry that I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but I have no problem with the extra perks, including separate dining, and pool. Have you looked at the price difference between a balcony and any suite above a JS? If the suite people stay in their pool, that's less passengers in the main pools.By the way, I'm a balcony person. I can't afford a suite.

You haven't sailed on the NCL Getaway or the Breakaway then. They did precisely what you said - a separate pool area for the suite people. Result is a pool area so badly designed, chopped up and crowded that its unusable IMO.

We are now retired and travel quite a bit. I'm trying to think of any place we have been recently that there are not available upgrades.....hmmm, flying, yep, there was business and first class as well as economy. Were the persons in business and first class treated differently, no, I don't think so, but did we have more perks. Yes, we got better food and drinks. I think the cost of our ticket probably covered some of that. Did we board before others, yes we did, probably since the price of the ticket was more than economy.

Checking into the hotel, we had a very nice ocean FRONT suite, were we treated differently? No, I don't think so. I feel we received the same courteous treatment that I saw others receive. Did we have more perks than persons that did not pay for the large suite, yes we did. (Our room was more expensive than those not in the same category)

Cruising, DH and I cruise in suites. Why, because the cabin is larger, this is the most important factor. Are we treated differently, I don't think so, but we do get more for what we paid then if we cruised in an interior cabin. Yep, Oasis and Quantum have Coastal Kitchen and it is reserved for suite guests. Again, our cabin is quite a bit more costly than an interior cabin or other category and paying a bit more provides a bit more.

We are fortunate after working long and hard we are able to enjoy the finer airline seats, hotel rooms, and cabins on ships.

I would only hope that all persons that take a vacation do it with the awesome knowledge they are seeing a different world than where they live.

If persons pay a higher price for amenities, they should not be criticized nor should the provider be criticized for providing this to them. They paid for it, why would you be upset about this?

I agree with you which is why people who purchase suites get larger and nicer rooms, concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority tendering and so on. The expansion of those perks is what has people upset. When we started cruising almost 20 years ago unless you were cruising on an upscale line like Cunard, everyone enjoyed the same amenities on the ship. Same MDR, same buffet and so on. In recent years the coddling of the suites and above has constantly expanded. Separate dining areas and separate lounges are giving away to separate pools, spas that are inaccessible to other guests, free drinks, separate elevators, separate areas in the theatres - I could go on. So to me its not that I am angry at the perks suite guests get its the fact that it seems ever expanding and its always under the guise of "well, we paid more why should you be upset?". So where do we draw the line? As I mentioned in a previous post, we cruised on the NCL Getaway and NCL has bought into this big time. The pool area on this large ship should be expansive with lots of space to enjoy yourself no matter what you want to do but it isn't. Its crowded, noisy and small and there is nowhere on that pool deck that you can go and have a nice relaxing afternoon, soaking up some sun and maybe enjoying a dip or two. Because they have large portions of their top deck reserved for suite guests and another portion reserved for people who pay for the privilege - the rest of the cruisers get jammed into sardine cans. After cruising on the the Indy several times I couldn't believe the poor layout of the Getaway pool deck and the big reason was because of the separate off-limit areas.

So yes I do agree with your sentiment that you pay more you should get more but at what point will suite guests admit they're happy with what they have? Even in this thread you see comments of some thinking out loud that it would be nice to have this or that. Every time a section of the ship is set aside for a suite guest, it's taken away from the average cruiser. I remember when the cruise lines first started with specialty restaurants. I thought at the time, boy there's a foot in the door. Where will this lead to? For almost 20 years I've watched and noticed a noticeable downturn in the food in the MDR while the specialty restaurants have grown, become more expensive and have started with higher options in those restaurant that cost more on top of the fee. So it's the same here with suite guests and their amenities. Where and when will the expansion stop? I stated in another post (tongue in cheek) that maybe cruise lines ought to make a suite only ship and yes I know there are ships out there that offer that but RCI and NCL is a mass market line trying to give the perception that they can offer the same as some of those high end lines. Well, they can't but what they can offer is a high end service within the confines of their mass market atmosphere without impacting their other guests and until very recently I felt they have successfully done so. Expanding that service to appeal to 2-4% of the cruising public may not be in their best interests as I witnessed on the Getaway. We won't go back on that class of ship despite what I saw as better food and the best service of any of the mass lines I've been on in the last 10 years.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

You are right in the observation of RC taking away the VCL access on Oasis class from the regular cruised. I remember when it was a nice quiet getaway during sea days when you could sit and read or watch the pool deck area[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you which is why people who purchase suites get larger and nicer rooms, concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority tendering and so on. The expansion of those perks is what has people upset. When we started cruising almost 20 years ago unless you were cruising on an upscale line like Cunard, everyone enjoyed the same amenities on the ship. Same MDR, same buffet and so on. In recent years the coddling of the suites and above has constantly expanded. Separate dining areas and separate lounges are giving away to separate pools, spas that are inaccessible to other guests, free drinks, separate elevators, separate areas in the theatres - I could go on. So to me its not that I am angry at the perks suite guests get its the fact that it seems ever expanding and its always under the guise of "well, we paid more why should you be upset?". So where do we draw the line? As I mentioned in a previous post, we cruised on the NCL Getaway and NCL has bought into this big time. The pool area on this large ship should be expansive with lots of space to enjoy yourself no matter what you want to do but it isn't. Its crowded, noisy and small and there is nowhere on that pool deck that you can go and have a nice relaxing afternoon, soaking up some sun and maybe enjoying a dip or two. Because they have large portions of their top deck reserved for suite guests and another portion reserved for people who pay for the privilege - the rest of the cruisers get jammed into sardine cans. After cruising on the the Indy several times I couldn't believe the poor layout of the Getaway pool deck and the big reason was because of the separate off-limit areas.

So yes I do agree with your sentiment that you pay more you should get more but at what point will suite guests admit they're happy with what they have? Even in this thread you see comments of some thinking out loud that it would be nice to have this or that. Every time a section of the ship is set aside for a suite guest, it's taken away from the average cruiser. I remember when the cruise lines first started with specialty restaurants. I thought at the time, boy there's a foot in the door. Where will this lead to? For almost 20 years I've watched and noticed a noticeable downturn in the food in the MDR while the specialty restaurants have grown, become more expensive and have started with higher options in those restaurant that cost more on top of the fee. So it's the same here with suite guests and their amenities. Where and when will the expansion stop? I stated in another post (tongue in cheek) that maybe cruise lines ought to make a suite only ship and yes I know there are ships out there that offer that but RCI and NCL is a mass market line trying to give the perception that they can offer the same as some of those high end lines. Well, they can't but what they can offer is a high end service within the confines of their mass market atmosphere without impacting their other guests and until very recently I felt they have successfully done so. Expanding that service to appeal to 2-4% of the cruising public may not be in their best interests as I witnessed on the Getaway. We won't go back on that class of ship despite what I saw as better food and the best service of any of the mass lines I've been on in the last 10 years.

I've only been on 1 cruise, with another scheduled for Oct so my experience is limited. I agree with this post. When I chose which ship and cruiseline to take for our first, I compared ships based on passenger capacity to size of ship so we wouldn't feel crowded. (It was Enchantment of the Seas vs whatever like ship Carnival was running for a similar itinerary.) Making the general population squeeze into smaller and smaller areas to cater to the minority of suite passengers is not good and will eventually, if the trend continues, lead to them losing customers.

Paying more should get you more, but as nbsjcruiser pointed out, there is a line somewhere that once it is crossed, the cruiseline will start losing the customers that fill 95% of their boats. This isn't a Karl Marx stance, it is a free market stance. It's their ship that they can do whatever they want with, but they should be careful as to not cross that line. The ship doesn't sail without the cash from the 95%.

I don't care if a suite guest gets a fancier dining room as the MDR is fine with me, but if the general cruiser is crammed into smaller and smaller spaces to give the suite passengers more room and exclusive areas on a ship, I'll choose something else for my vacation.

I've only been on 1 cruise, with another scheduled for Oct so my experience is limited. I agree with this post. When I chose which ship and cruiseline to take for our first, I compared ships based on passenger capacity to size of ship so we wouldn't feel crowded. (It was Enchantment of the Seas vs whatever like ship Carnival was running for a similar itinerary.) Making the general population squeeze into smaller and smaller areas to cater to the minority of suite passengers is not good and will eventually, if the trend continues, lead to them losing customers.

Paying more should get you more, but as nbsjcruiser pointed out, there is a line somewhere that once it is crossed, the cruiseline will start losing the customers that fill 95% of their boats. This isn't a Karl Marx stance, it is a free market stance. It's their ship that they can do whatever they want with, but they should be careful as to not cross that line. The ship doesn't sail without the cash from the 95%.

I don't care if a suite guest gets a fancier dining room as the MDR is fine with me, but if the general cruiser is crammed into smaller and smaller spaces to give the suite passengers more room and exclusive areas on a ship, I'll choose something else for my vacation.

Fair enough statement. Not sure I can agree on your choice of EN for space per passenger. I believe that Radiance class has more space per passenger and with all that glass much better views.

Wow,so now people in a suite don't even want to have non suite people eating with them. Talk about class divisions

Was thinking the same thing when I saw the title of this post. They are putting more and more division between "classes" that it is pretty ridiculous.

My thoughts are if you don't want to eat in the MDR, then go to a specialty restaurant. Just because you spent the $$ for a suite doesn't make you any better than the next person.

Was thinking the same thing when I saw the title of this post. They are putting more and more division between "classes" that it is pretty ridiculous.

My thoughts are if you don't want to eat in the MDR, then go to a specialty restaurant. Just because you spent the $$ for a suite doesn't make you any better than the next person.

That doesn't bother me so much as the fact they took the "Freemium" spaces and made them "Paid Premium" such as VCL.

Fair enough statement. Not sure I can agree on your choice of EN for space per passenger. I believe that Radiance class has more space per passenger and with all that glass much better views.

Some folks like to enjoy the outdoor aspects of cruising. EN pool deck is so much nicer than Radiance ships.

To each his own. ;)

I see absolutely no problem with giving suite guests more. Saying you can't afford it, is disengenious. At some point, you have to decide what you will pay for, and book accordingly. If the suite has enough perks to be worth it, then you can do that (and just take 1/3 as many cruises). If it is not worth it, and you think there is better value from the inside stateroom, then book that, you have the choice. Nobody is stopping you from booking whatever category you want.

For the record, I will probably never buy a first class ticket, a suite, or even pay for the optional restaurants, as I would rather take more vacations (more days at see more often) as that is what I value. We did book a balcony, but it is our first, so not sure if it is even worth it. If the service is poor, or everything is horrible, then we will either not book with Royal again, or not book a cruise again. I don't worry myself about what others get to access that I don't cause I made my own choices in life. It is not up to the cruise line to make life fair for me.