Huge Price Increase!!!

mvaughan

That does not explain price rises in the UK. We neither have Labor (or, even, Labour) Day nor Labor Day Sales.

You can be sure the buy 1 get one half price promotion will return at the start of September though. I have a feeling in order to do that they have to have a week of selling the cruises at the new elevated price!

Ian

You can be sure the buy 1 get one half price promotion will return at the start of September though. I have a feeling in order to do that they have to have a week of selling the cruises at the new elevated price!

Ian

Ian

Under UK law prices "A price used as a basis for comparison should have been your most recent price available for 28 consecutive days or more". https://www.gov.uk/.../system/.../10-1312-pricing-practices-guidance-for-traders.pdf

Probably not until the new promo is announced, but it cannot hurt.

Our May 5, 2017 Equinox nearly doubled for 1A.

Our October 8, 2017 Summit up 50%. Never seen spikes like this. We are thinking a second guest discount promo is pending too.

We are also on the May 5th with you in a 1A which we booked right after our TA was cancelled. I suspect some of the popularity of this cruise is the GO Big promo. I agree prices are way up. May see you at sailaway.

I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

This is fairly easy. Find a TA who does group bookings. They will almost never include the "free" percs that you are paying for. That is about all we book anymore.

I agree... these prices are nothing less than utterly OUTRAGEOUS...

Celebrity Reflection, 15 nights on 21 October... Rome to Miami... $779pp :)

Celebrity Infinity, 15 nights on 9 December... Miami to Santiago... $689pp :D

Celebrity Constellation, 14 nights on 14 November... Athens to Abu Dhabi... $329pp :eek:

AND you just missed by *THAT MUCH* a Celebrity Millennium 26 night B2B from Vancouver to Tokyo to Shanghai... $1163pp.

Edited by teecee60

Ian

Under UK law prices "A price used as a basis for comparison should have been your most recent price available for 28 consecutive days or more". https://www.gov.uk/.../system/.../10-1312-pricing-practices-guidance-for-traders.pdf

That's what I thought. It does assume that all businesses comply with the law, there's ways around it as well.

Do you not think that economics is not a meaningful enough of a reason for price increases or decreases?

bon voyage

Hi Bo. It really does not matter what the reason is for an increase. I book at a price I am comfortable paying, & frankly, what prices do after that is out of my control & I live with that. You win some @ you lose some!

That being said, I often follow prices of specific sailings for months. I opened my email this am to find a 33% increase pretty much across the board on a cruise I am interested in. Then I came on here to find this thread detailing multiple sailings with similar increases. 33% increase on multiple silings all in the same day is more than supply & demand economics. It is just not normal. (I hope!):eek:

Celebrity is running a new promotion next week which is called Two if by Sea sale for the month of September. I found this yesterday when googling Celebrity promotions. I am not a travel agent, just checking on prices for all of our upcoming bookings.

It has $25 dollar deposits from Sept 1-5 2016, then reduced deposits for the rest of September, and it is good on 4 night sailings and longer sailings from December 1, 2016-April 30, 2018, and is for oceanview and higher cabins and includes 1 of the 4 perks and must be a new booking made during the time period. Suites get all four perks and an upgrade to the premium beverage package. The price for the first person is full fare, the second person is half off. Excludes the transatlantics, transpacifics, repositioning Galapagos, Alaska cruisetours, and Celebrity Explorations, and can't be combined with any other promotion such as resident, senior, interline, exciting deals etc.

We have four sailings that would be in the time frame for the promotion. I repriced all of them with the new increased rates showing on Celebrity's website today and the half off for the second person over what we deposited the cabins for , and the base prices are exactly the same for three of our cruises with this promotion, and the only decrease was in a European sailing we have next year.

It may be that your travel agent is allowed to add more perks for a Labor Day sale next week, and I will recheck the prices on September the 1st for all of our cruises.

I hope it works out for others in getting a discount on their already booked cruises. I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

Interesting information. The games they play. I feel bad for those less informed.

Ian

Then the sale in the UK will start in 28 days, & they'll nsme it something else!

Thanks to the original poster...just checked both booked cruises...Nov. cruise stayed the same with price drops in the last few weeks, March 2017 up considerably..all concierge classes high and when we pay in Canadian $$'s...you can imagine the increase. Maybe expecting a glut of Caribbean cruisers with many staying away from Europe and replacing it with a winter vacation. Really happy we booked early.

Edited by oceangoer2

It is called "supply and demand" folks. If the cabins start selling too quickly, you raise the price. If they stop selling at the increased price, you then lower the price until they start selling again.

Simple economics. The cruise companies are not in business to make us happy but to maximize the profits for their shareholders. Our problem is to try to out guess or out smart them.

Airlines do exactly the same thing but on a minute by minute basis. If you see a good airfare, grab it immediately. I once had a fare increase significantly between the time I started checking schedules and when I told the airline to book it. I would guess that the airline computer systems are set so that if the flight achieves a predefined booking level, the price is automatically raised. Seems like I have never had it drop in a short time however.

DON

It is called "supply and demand" folks. If the cabins start selling too quickly, you raise the price. If they stop selling at the increased price, you then lower the price until they start selling again.

Simple economics. The cruise companies are not in business to make us happy but to maximize the profits for their shareholders. Our problem is to try to out guess or out smart them.

Airlines do exactly the same thing but on a minute by minute basis. If you see a good airfare, grab it immediately. I once had a fare increase significantly between the time I started checking schedules and when I told the airline to book it. I would guess that the airline computer systems are set so that if the flight achieves a predefined booking level, the price is automatically raised. Seems like I have never had it drop in a short time however.

DON

Read the posts about the sale starting next week and get back to us on your supply and demand theory

Edited by Cruise Junky

Celebrity is running a new promotion next week which is called Two if by Sea sale for the month of September. I found this yesterday when googling Celebrity promotions. I am not a travel agent, just checking on prices for all of our upcoming bookings.

It has $25 dollar deposits from Sept 1-5 2016, then reduced deposits for the rest of September, and it is good on 4 night sailings and longer sailings from December 1, 2016-April 30, 2018, and is for oceanview and higher cabins and includes 1 of the 4 perks and must be a new booking made during the time period. Suites get all four perks and an upgrade to the premium beverage package. The price for the first person is full fare, the second person is half off. Excludes the transatlantics, transpacifics, repositioning Galapagos, Alaska cruisetours, and Celebrity Explorations, and can't be combined with any other promotion such as resident, senior, interline, exciting deals etc.

We have four sailings that would be in the time frame for the promotion. I repriced all of them with the new increased rates showing on Celebrity's website today and the half off for the second person over what we deposited the cabins for , and the base prices are exactly the same for three of our cruises with this promotion, and the only decrease was in a European sailing we have next year.

It may be that your travel agent is allowed to add more perks for a Labor Day sale next week, and I will recheck the prices on September the 1st for all of our cruises.

I hope it works out for others in getting a discount on their already booked cruises. I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

This is fairly easy. Find a TA who does group bookings. They will almost never include the "free" percs that you are paying for. That is about all we book anymore.

Originally Posted by kk99 View Post

I would really like it if Celebrity published a no perks base fare, but probably wishful thinking on my part.

Very easy to do, I do it very day checking on future trips. While on X's website, at the page where you are asked to pick your perks you'll see a link underneath that says: "Keep my original discount". Or something to that effect. You of course have to be registered on the website and sign in. In the first part of making a booking you'll be asked for your zip code, captains club number and I think if,you are a senior. This process will price your cruise without any perks.

The difference won't be all that great though. Our upcoming ten day prices out about $600 less than with perks. Beverage package alone is of cours a lot more.

Edited by PoppyandNana

HA!!!

I booked a CS on Infinity in early 2015 (cruise is Oct 23, 2016.) The cost, per person, was $1149.

In March of 2016, the per person price skyrocketed to $2899!!!

Currently, what I paid for a CS is the going rate for an A1 cabin. And the ship is NOT full; almost every category has vacancies!!!!

Go figure....

I have been fishing around for the January 20, 2017 sailing of Equinox 10 night sailing, & the price for balcony rooms increased by 33%!

C2 room went from $2449 to $3265

SV $2139 to $2852

2A $2229 to $2972

2B $1949 to $2599

These prices are PER PERSON!

I suspect that these prices will tumble after final payment, & with cancellations due to Zika.

Perhaps Celebrity though everyone would be willing to book at higher prices now that we are relieved that they are not eliminating evening turn down service.

I have booked Equinox B2B for October 2017 - price went up almost 35-50%

for both cruises. I guess bookings were strong and someone will be paying for 4 perks, which will expire 8/31.

Seems that some prices have been adjusted downward in the last few minutes. My New Years cruise on silhouette in a concierge c2 had gone up $850. Per person this morning from what it was yesterday. I checked again a few minutes ago and now it is only $10. Per person more than yesterday. Maybe they are monitoring this thread?

I have booked Equinox B2B for October 2017 - price went up almost 35-50%

for both cruises. I guess bookings were strong and someone will be paying for 4 perks, which will expire 8/31.

Originally Posted by richsea View Post

I have been fishing around for the January 20, 2017 sailing of Equinox 10 night sailing, & the price for balcony rooms increased by 33%!

C2 room went from $2449 to $3265

SV $2139 to $2852

2A $2229 to $2972

2B $1949 to $2599

These prices are PER PERSON!

I suspect that these prices will tumble after final payment, & with cancellations due to Zika.

Perhaps Celebrity though everyone would be willing to book at higher prices now that we are relieved that they are not eliminating evening turn down service.

We are booked on that 1/20 sailing. Our C3 went from $4421 to $6631

Edited by PoppyandNana

Jeez! I decided to check our Caribbean Eclipse in February. When we booked last year it was HALF what it is now for a 1A cabin, with the same 2 perks we got back then.

I hadn't checked it for quite a while, but this post made me look at it.

Honestly, I would have never booked it at the rate it is now.

Teri

Then the sale in the UK will start in 28 days, & they'll nsme it something else!

Then it will involve a complete change of policy for Celebrity in the UK because they have decided that because of the usual patterns of booking here, offers will not be made on cruises more than a year out. It encourages people to book a cruise two years away and skip a year. You can guarantee the British way of booking has not changed so I am not banking on a change of policy any time soon. Of the two cruises we have booked, one falls well inside this period and one well outside the period but they both have shown the same percentage price increase.

Edited by Project_gal