Bringing food on board

Argana

21 minutes ago, gerif said:

Again, just because you did something that wasn’t allowed and didn’t get caught doesn’t mean that someone else won’t have a problem. Guess you haven’t cruised in sometime  since they stopped putting anything in the coolers in quite a while. 

The post you’re answering was posted in 2016 

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I understand that your issue has been resolved, and yes, the other cruise lines that you mention are in fact in violation of USPH regulations in allowing you to bring "potentially hazardous foods" onboard.  Why? Because they have no idea how you handled the PHF prior to bringing it onboard (was it kept within temperature guidelines the entire time?), or how you handle it once onboard.  Whether other cruise lines have a greater "risk tolerance" and allowed this to happen is irrelevant, this is not a case of RCI "not caring".

As an example of how serious the handling of PHF is taken, we had a USPH inspection on my ship once, and the inspector took a random yogurt from the room service refrigerator, stuck a thermometer into it, found it was above 40*F, and gave us a 5 point deduction (out of a possible 15 points deduction to pass) for one yogurt carton.

Excellent point. We would give our special needs child potentially tainted food and items that may not be properly refrigerated. What parent wouldn’t?  Please note the thick sarcasm.

I don’t know if you are a parent but I am fairly confident that you’re not a parent of a child with special needs. The regulations you are discussing are meaningless to a parent who’s child has nothing to eat. This is not a situation with a spoiled kid who just eats what he or she wants to eat. When your child has a sensitivity and cannot eat anything with milk, anything with eggs, or anything with gluten, your menu is very limited. So when the cruise line says, “sorry we can’t accommodate her. Thanks for cruising with us“ that answer is unacceptable. The only choice is to bring something on board. If these regulations do not allow that, then accommodation needs to be made. RCL’s Accommodations were to bring special yogurt, special cheese and special gluten-free dough on board for my daughter. I thought at the time that this was an accommodation unique to Royal. Since then, multiple other cruise lines of done this. The problem we are having now is with MSC. They are notorious for their poor customer service. If they refuse to do anything, we will be smuggling food on board. Damn the regulations.  I hope they get 100 points off, whatever that means.

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to note that we have occasionally brought food on board the ship, at  embarkation port. Some of it has been prepackaged and some of it not. I’ve never had any issue with food that has either been in our checked bag or in our carry bag. None of it needed any type of refrigeration. 

m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ufalum88 said:

Excellent point. We would give our special needs child potentially tainted food and items that may not be properly refrigerated. What parent wouldn’t?  Please note the thick sarcasm.

Sarcasm well noted, and completely disregarded.  Yes, I've raised three boys to full manhood.  And, I am disregarding your statement as completely irrelevant, since what most people don't know is that even their home refrigerator does not necessarily keep potentially hazardous foods within the safe zone, and many folks, even the best parents, think that PHF can be out of the safe zone "for just a little while, it won't hurt", when it may very well hurt.

The regulations you are discussing are meaningless to a parent who’s child has nothing to eat.

So, you get to choose which laws and regulations you ignore, or want someone else to ignore, just because you feel they are meaningless?  That's what is making America great again.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

On 10/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, Grandma Dazzles said:

As others have said, taking unsealed, home made type sandwiches off the ship is expressly forbidden. It’s the rules of the country you are visiting, not RC. Countries are becoming far more restrictive and searching bags. 

I understand why countries don’t want you bringing in foreign produce into their countries, but what about domestic ports? If I get on a ship in NY, and stop in FL, I can’t bring an apple off the ship. But isn’t the apple domestic? Doesn’t the ship get its supplies from port in NY or FL? Or does it resupply in multiple ports foreign and domestic, so officials don’t know where you got it from so it’s a flat no? Just trying to understand the logic behind the rule. 

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sarcasm well noted, and completely disregarded.  Yes, I've raised three boys to full manhood.  And, I am disregarding your statement as completely irrelevant, since what most people don't know is that even their home refrigerator does not necessarily keep potentially hazardous foods within the safe zone, and many folks, even the best parents, think that PHF can be out of the safe zone "for just a little while, it won't hurt", when it may very well hurt.

So, you get to choose which laws and regulations you ignore, or want someone else to ignore, just because you feel they are meaningless?  That's what is making America great again.

what I feel or don’t feel has nothing to do with it. Like I said, if you were a parent with a child who had special needs, you might understand. Sometimes rules have to be bent in special circumstances. Further, I’m not looking to bend the rules, I’m looking for an accommodation with regard to something the cruise line can do.  I only want to bring food on board as a last resort. Fortunately, other people on this forum have been much more helpful.

17 minutes ago, tomservo said:

I understand why countries don’t want you bringing in foreign produce into their countries, but what about domestic ports? If I get on a ship in NY, and stop in FL, I can’t bring an apple off the ship. But isn’t the apple domestic? Doesn’t the ship get its supplies from port in NY or FL? Or does it resupply in multiple ports foreign and domestic, so officials don’t know where you got it from so it’s a flat no? Just trying to understand the logic behind the rule. 

I believe there are a number of states that have restrictions on the ‘importation’ of all kinds of fruits and vegetables (California is a good example) due to possible problems with pests such as fruit flies and certain plant diseases.  It is probably easiest to have a general restriction on taking food off the ship rather than try to sort through all the rules that may come into play from location to location.

Edited by d9704011
Correct spelling error.

We're on the Anthem now with a stop in Boston.  As we reboarded the terminal security people iwould not let the people in front of me bring their open bottle of water or their leftovers through security.  I have brought water bottles through in other ports so that part surprised me. This was terminal security not Royal's people. 

7 hours ago, ufalum88 said:

what I feel or don’t feel has nothing to do with it. Like I said, if you were a parent with a child who had special needs, you might understand. Sometimes rules have to be bent in special circumstances. Further, I’m not looking to bend the rules, I’m looking for an accommodation with regard to something the cruise line can do.  I only want to bring food on board as a last resort. Fortunately, other people on this forum have been much more 

Unfortunately cruising isn't for everyone 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, njkruzer said:

We're on the Anthem now with a stop in Boston.  As we reboarded the terminal security people iwould not let the people in front of me bring their open bottle of water or their leftovers through security.  I have brought water bottles through in other ports so that part surprised me. This was terminal security not Royal's people. 

Same rude security people at Black Falcon pier took away someone’s apple.

3 hours ago, BEENSAILING said:

Same rude security people at Black Falcon pier took away someone’s apple.

Fruit is one thing that is strictly prohibited. Just because the security people were doing their job does not make them rude. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 6:52 AM, BekkaW said:

Yes that Is definitely the case here (and I think most English speaking countries other than the US)

Jelly = what you call Jello

Jam = kind of what you call Jelly, but jam has more of the actual fruit still in it

As an Aussie, I can't do peanut butter & jello(jam)

peanut butter & honey is one of my favorites.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:24 AM, PhoenixCruiser said:

Unfortunately cruising isn't for everyone 

good point. Perhaps the disabled, elderly and obese should all avoid cruising. 

One of the things I’ve learned from having a disabled child is that some peoples lives can be made so much easier if we all just make slight accommodations for those less fortunate. If you are just a rigid functionary, then you do not have to worry about other people and you can go through your life just doing your job without any hiccups. However, I am going to assume that everyone of us has asked someone for a slight accommodation so they can accomplish something that would make their life better.

Also, how do you know that that apple was boarded in a US port?

It could have been boarded at a foreign port on the previous cruise.

You just don't know.  Neither does anyone else, so easiest to just say no.

• Like 2

One of the things I’ve learned from having a disabled child is that some peoples lives can be made so much easier if we all just make slight accommodations for those less fortunate. If you are just a rigid functionary, then you do not have to worry about other people and you can go through your life just doing your job without any hiccups. However, I am going to assume that everyone of us has asked someone for a slight accommodation so they can accomplish something that would make their life better.

No, I did not have any disabled children. But, my brother has as autistic son who has severe "food issues". So, I understand where you are coming from with the difficulties in trying to mesh your child's needs with the cruise lines rules.

But, in requesting these "accommodations" you are asking the cruise line to break "USPH regulations" that can shut them down if they are caught. That is not a fair request. If you want to try to break the rules or regulations by sneaking something onboard, that is on you, but to ask that of the cruise line is a different matter.

If you want to change the regulations so that the cruise line can make these accommodations, then your beef needs to be with the governing body and not the cruise line.

I'm sorry if I sound mean or rude, I certainly do not intend to be and I completely sympathize with your problem. I just think your directing your frustration at the cruise lines, when they are just following regulations, is misplaced.

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, Argana said:

Thank you. I wonder if those sealed uncrustable sandwiches would be okay then....

They "should" be fine.   As to the "perishable" part I think you will probably be okay bringing the PB&J components onboard.  It's possible the jelly might be considered "perishable" once opened, but jelly will store a long time in a cabinet and then a really long time in the fridge so I think you should be fine.   And the Uncrustables are definitely prepackaged.
I accidentally took a banana off the ship once. I had put it in my backpack to take back to the room for later and forgot about it until the dog sniffed it. I thought I wasn't going to be allowed to come into port at Grand Cayman. I ended up just having to throw it away in the trash can, but they were NOT pleased with that banana. 

On 10/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, njkruzer said:

We sailed from Boston on 10/13 and the security people at the xray machine we went through were having people throw away or dump all liquids.  When our suitcase went through the scanner with 2 bottles of wine and 12 bottles of soda and water, the guy all but freaked at us and told us it wasn't allowed.  I stated the policy and said all bottles were factory sealed and 500 ml and he said the cruise line doesn't allow liquids.  I challenged him and asked for a supervisor who came over and told us it was up to him what goes on the ship and asked the security guy if they bottles were factory sealed.  He answered yes and was told to let them go through. He then added, he listens to me, not you.  Both gentlemen were aggressive and totally out of line.

On 11/20/2016 at 10:34 PM, F27TW said:

Well, unfortunately, the RCI of "many years ago" is not what we have today ... nowadays things like this are met with blank stares, unreturned phone calls, pretending not to understand due to a language barrier, unavailable supervisors ... or staff just walking off shaking their heads, never to return ...

so, sadly, don't expect a lot of help here from the cruise line staff. its mass market now and we're all just a number.

Wow.  That's not my experience at all.  I have a life threatening food allergy and have found the crew and the cruise line in general to be extremely accommodating and helpful.  It's actually one of the reasons I cruise vs. a land vacay.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ufalum88 said:

Why be so dramatic with the "perhaps disabled, elderly and obese should avoid cruising? Why go to extremes?  The second paragraph of your post sets out a well thought out position.  The first paragraph/ sentence made me not want to read anything else you had to say. 

The special needs department is there to help navigate matters so that slight (or maybe not so slight) accommodations can be made.  I have called upon them for several things to clarify matters on recent cruises.  And for the most part, food wise, people really will bend over backwards onboard to help you meet  your needs. 

The not taking food off the ship is mainly due to agricultural restrictions and not wanting to introduce unknown potential foodborne diseases/illnesses into their country or their island. 

It is for the safety and protection of those in various ports that they do not allow foreign foods into their port.  I think it is asking a lot for someone to completely disregard their rules and regulations because your particular circumstance is the one for which you believe rules should be bent.  I believe that most will work with you to provide accommodations, but you have to consider the other side of the equation too. 

• Like 1

Yet you felt compelled to leave that long winded response. All the while, not paying attention to the fact that I wasn’t trying to bring fruits or other prohibited food.  In fact, I don’t want to bring anything. If you read my post before, I’m looking for a way to contact someone so that the cruiseship can bring the stuff that I need. Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Disney etc. have done this for us. Unlike you, a nice person on this thread gave me useful information and a line worked with us in the past.  I came back hoping to get similar direction for MSC.

1 hour ago, WarGuyEd said:

No, I did not have any disabled children. But, my brother has as autistic son who has severe "food issues". So, I understand where you are coming from with the difficulties in trying to mesh your child's needs with the cruise lines rules.

But, in requesting these "accommodations" you are asking the cruise line to break "USPH regulations" that can shut them down if they are caught. That is not a fair request. If you want to try to break the rules or regulations by sneaking something onboard, that is on you, but to ask that of the cruise line is a different matter.

If you want to change the regulations so that the cruise line can make these accommodations, then your beef needs to be with the governing body and not the cruise line.

I'm sorry if I sound mean or rude, I certainly do not intend to be and I completely sympathize with your problem. I just think your directing your frustration at the cruise lines, when they are just following regulations, is misplaced.

and I apologize if I’m overly sensitive because of my child and her needs.  It has awakened me to the difficulties facing these folks.  I was rather callous to this problem before hand. So I should not be so quick to anger.