Chico's clothes

baja mama

I love Chico's clothes. I think they suit the mature woman who wants something fashion forward that is age appropriate. The colors are fun and I like that they have different shaped pants for different figures. So far I have no problems with the quality.

Chicos is just not for me. Now, I am of a certain age, but these clothes seem too "old" for me. A friend calls them "Cougar Clothes" ;)

The way their things fit they are a good, fashionable alternative to the women out there who are no longer wearing the size of their youth, but still want to be fashionable. For me personally I don't really care for them. I kind of chucked at Slidergirl's term "cougar clothes" because that kind of hits the nail on the head. They are comfortable though, and I do own one pair of black Chico pants for travel because they are comfy and don't wrinkle.

I don't find much at Chicos. Their "travel collection" is much too heavy and has an odd feel to it. I have bought some dressy jackets there in the past (not from the travelers line) but they don't seem to have as much along those lines as they used to...

The one thing I do like and recommend is their Zenergy line in a fabric they call Neema -- basically a very lightweight line of pants and crops in a tech fabric that travels well, can be washed and dried overnight, and is very comfortable to wear.

Edited by cruisemom42

I did forget one thing. About 3 years ago, I had an immediate need after work for a suit for an interview. My little town doesn't have any place that does suits, but there was an outlet mall just down the road. I went into all the stores that would have suits and was going away empty-handed. I popped into Chicos and, lo and behold, they had a plain black suit jacket and pants. Then, the sales lady tried to get me to buy those awful cheetah pattern or gaudy jewel tone patterned tanks to go underneath it. No thank you!!! As I was desperate, I shelled out the maybe $60 for it so I'd have something to wear the next day. Best thing about the suit - it was washable, so I didn't have to deal with dry cleaning prices!

That is all I've bought from Chicos and it definitely is not cruise-wear ;)

I do like their solid color tank tops, good silky material that lasts & lays well. In looking at my cruise closet it appears that about 1/2 of my evening clothes are Chicos (from several years ago). Slidergirl I agree on the violent print tanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it's just like so many other things...some folks love Chico's, and some folks don't - everyone is different. If you like their clothing, and they work well for you - why not! :)

LOL - at the "cougar clothing" comment.

I don't shop at Chico's personally - just not my style. And also my mother-in-law shops there, and somehow, I just. Can't. ;)

My mother loves it and she is in her 70s. But then, she loves anything leopard and likes to say she wears a size 2 or 3.

I'm a curvy girl who has gained mid-life weight, so I'm wearing their pants now. The jeggings are the first jeans I've ever worn in my life that I felt looked good on me. I've tried their dresses, jackets, and tops and they don't look good on me...they are too boxy, with no waist shape, which gives me an apple shape. I am definitely not into their animal prints. Their chunky jewelry is fun to wear, and they have nice scarves.

There is no single brand where I love everything they make. No single brand that fits me perfectly everywhere, every day.

I like some Chicos pants, and some of their tanks - the ones that fit my large chest:D I don't like the busy prints or bedazzled clothing, but dang, some of the black pants I own fit me great (and some of those I've bought at thrift stores, so....Extra bonus:D)

Are they well made? Hmm. Some things hold up, some do not, and I typically find them overpriced at MSRP. But since they're usually always on sale or at the outlet.....(or thrift stores;)) As for the sizing, I don't think at all that women who wear Chicos believe they're a 0 or 2 - it's just a completely different way to size. And they're far from the only brand to use alternate sizing - James Perse does it, for one.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hi, I love Chico's.....I don't buy their traveler's line but they have way more

than just that type of material.....whoever mentioned loving their jeans?

I love them too:D.......and I have some other bottoms from them as well.

I wear a 3 in their size and most fit me perfectly:)

Do I love everything they sell? No...but I don't love everything of any

specific brand.

There is a store right near me and most of the gals who work there know

me by name;)...so yes, I shop there quite often. And in my opinion,

I don't find the items I purchase too matronly.

Different strokes for different folks:)

Edited by Lois R

As for the sizing, I don't think at all that women who wear Chicos believe they're a 0 or 2

Of course they don't REALLY think they're a true size 0 or 2, LOL. But there seems to be less of a "stigma" attached to saying you're a 2 or 3 or 4, instead of a 12 or 14 or plus size so of course people like it.

Of course they don't REALLY think they're a true size 0 or 2, LOL. But there seems to be less of a "stigma" attached to saying you're a 2 or 3 or 4, instead of a 12 or 14 or plus size so of course people like it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this because (as someone who has fluctuated between sizes 10-16 since age 18) I just don't see it that way at all.

And odd numbers are junior sizes in traditional American sizing, anyway, so size 3? Nope, I have NEVER been that:p

I had to come back to comment again:

I had to take my car in for service, so that meant a journey down to the Big City. After dropping the car off (my dealer gives me a very nice free loaner to "tease" me into maybe buying from her again), I went to the local mall to browse. There is a Chico's there. I didn't go in, but, I still got a chuckle. In one small window, there was a jewelry display - a big chunky necklace, a bracelet, and drop earrings. ALL were done in faux cheetah hair calf!!!!! In a mannequin window, the ultimate Cougar display: brown faux leather ankle pants with an animal print shirt!!!!! I thought of all of the "mature" women who will be flocking to buy those pants :eek: I went over to the Athleta store across the way and bought a VERY cool pair of herringbone Metro leggings; has a jeans-like top with 2 front pockets and 2 back pockets, but leggings fit in a very soft but substantial fabric. Going to look very cool with all my boots from now through Spring!!!

I have a lot of pieces from Chico's. Just as with any store, they have some stuff that I really like, some stuff I wouldn't wear because I think it's ugly, some stuff I wouldn't wear because it's not my style, some stuff I wouldn't buy because it's too expensive, and some stuff that is in colors I don't care for.

About every third collection, they will have a few things that I like or colors that I can wear with other things I already have. In particular, I like their maxi dresses and maxi skirts, and some of the pieces from the Traveler's collection.

I am not sure what's wrong with animal prints; sure, I wouldn't wear them head to toe, but I also wouldn't wear herringbone leggings. ;)

To each her own.

I have a lot of pieces from Chico's. Just as with any store, they have some stuff that I really like, some stuff I wouldn't wear because I think it's ugly, some stuff I wouldn't wear because it's not my style, some stuff I wouldn't buy because it's too expensive, and some stuff that is in colors I don't care for.

About every third collection, they will have a few things that I like or colors that I can wear with other things I already have. In particular, I like their maxi dresses and maxi skirts, and some of the pieces from the Traveler's collection.

I am not sure what's wrong with animal prints; sure, I wouldn't wear them head to toe, but I also wouldn't wear herringbone leggings. ;)

To each her own.

Anytime you walk into a Chico's, they have animal print. Even if it's not "in fashion", it's there. To me, it has become one of those symbols of Chico's and the older women they go for. But, to have animal print jewelry, pants, shirts, tanks, jackets, belts, all the time???

Awhfy - good to know you like those leggings, too. For where both of us live, they are right in there for our winter wardrobes!!

As for the herringbone leggings - think skinny pants, NOT workout leggings. It's a thick, matte, material, not the thin lycra stuff. Athleta has quite a few of these - they call them streetwear, not workout wear. I wouldn't have thought about herringbone, either. But, up close, that micro 'bone' looks nice and far away it looks more weathered. A nice, but conservative, change from the usual black skinnies that I wear in the winter! Next year, they may be out of rotation, who knows ;)

Baja Mama, just let me add a few more comments about Chicos, as I have been a long time customer actually since their beginning which was a long, long time ago and they have changed a lot over the years.

What I buy there are their golf clothes. No, I don't play golf, but their golf clothes, both pants and tops, are really good for cruising excursions in the Caribbean. Also, I buy their solid color tee shirts, their pants and their jewelry. I also have several of their no-iron shirts in solid colors.

What I don't care for at Chicos are their more flamboyant prints and blinged out fabrics. Their premium line of clothes, called Black Label, is very stylized and high fashion. I just don't wear attention getting clothes like that. Those clothes "wear me" instead of the other way around.

Chico's quality is quite good. I have some of their jewelry that is at least a dozen years old, but the last couple years I haven't cared much for their jewelry because it is so big, chunky and heavy. It is uncomfortable to wear and I think it looks better on taller women who can carry that proportion. Also Chico's raises their prices a lot every season, so now I shop their sales and use their coupons.