formal nights on 14 night eclipse

kjj322

DW was wondering how many formal nights we can expect on a 14 night caribbean cruise on the Eclipse.

None. Celebrity no longer has formal nights. They have been replaced by Evening Chic. Here is the description from the Celebrity FAQ:

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Edited by Charles4515

DW was wondering how many formal nights we can expect on a 14 night caribbean cruise on the Eclipse.

On our April 2016 Eclipse 14 night Caribbean Cruise we had 2 Evening Chic nights. No more Formal nights on Celebrity. But that doesn't mean you can't dress formally if you wish.

Edited by davekathy

As you can see from one of the above posts, the Celebrity web site states that on any cruise longer than 6 days, there are only two chic nights. Some posters have reported back that a couple of the ships have taken it upon themselves to have three even though Celebrity policy calls for a maximum of two.

Edited by dkjretired

As you can see from one of the above posts, the Celebrity web site states that on any cruise longer than 6 days, there are only two chic nights. Some posters have reported back that a couple of the ships have taken it upon themselves to have three even though Celebrity policy calls for a maximum of two.

We had 3 Evening Chic nights on the Silhouette Oct 8, 2016 Western Med sailing which was a 14 night cruise. My understanding is that it is up to the Captain as to whether to add a 3rd one in on the longer sailings.

We had 3 Evening Chic nights on the Silhouette Oct 8, 2016 Western Med sailing which was a 14 night cruise. My understanding is that it is up to the Captain as to whether to add a 3rd one in on the longer sailings.

That's interesting. Did you know this ahead of time? Was there special meal offerings?

On our 14 day Eclipse cruises there have been 3 formal nights now chic nights. We still dress up formal with hubby in a tux and me in a gown. Others still also dress formally, but a lot don't. If you like to dress up then go for it, you won't be the only ones. Enjoy your cruise.

Wear what you would normally wear for a "nice" night on the town.

Depends where you live!

On our cruise on the Eclipse, this summer, bright summer jackets including club / regatta / rowing club blazers were in evidence on Chic nights. So dressing for a nice night on the town is no longer necessary.

Edited by DYKWIA

I am just off the Eclipse yesterday and we had 3 evening chic nights. Lots of people were still wearing formal dress on those nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks that answers our packing debate glad the formal gear is going to get an outing, we love dressing up

OK without getting into the rights and wrongs of what people were or were not wearing, can anyone give an update of the typical distribution across tux/dinner suits vs lounge suits vs jacket vs no jacket in Luminae recently.

We love dressing up, we have no luggage restrictions so have a wide range of choices on our upcoming 14 night cruise ex Miami.

Just off 15 night Infinity Panama Canal...2 evening chic nights. I think a loose rule might be 2 in warmer areas, 3 in Europe. That was our experience.

Btw, I wore a formal long gown both nights, DH a black suit. We felt fine.... there were a number of long gowns and tuxes. I got lots of nice compliments! Many wore cocktail attire. A few dressed a bit more casually.

OK without getting into the rights and wrongs of what people were or were not wearing, can anyone give an update of the typical distribution across tux/dinner suits vs lounge suits vs jacket vs no jacket in Luminae recently.

We love dressing up, we have no luggage restrictions so have a wide range of choices on our upcoming 14 night cruise ex Miami.

In Luminae, I believe we saw mostly suits and gowns/cocktail dresses on evening chic night, even though that is not the dress code in there. I wore a long formal gown and fancy jewelry and DH had a black suit and tie and we fit in fine! I love dressing up and there were others on our cruise who did the same. I would put the majority of cruisers in the very nicely dressed category, with cocktail or dressy dresses and nice slacks with jackets or nice shirts.

We have dined in Luminae on our last 2 cruises. Reflection out of Miami March 2016 and Silhouette out of Amsterdam Sept 2016. I do remember seeing a suit in Luminae one night. Chic Nights does no apply to Blu or Luminae. Chic Nights is only for the MDR. I wear Ralph Lauren jeans and a Polo or Polo shirt every night. It really comes down to you and your other half want to wear.

Luminae has a smart casual dress code every evening. Evening Chic only applies to the Main Dining Room. Some people may choose to "dress up" in Luminae, but I didn't notice much difference on my last cruise (7-day Caribbean last February). Ship-wide, there were a handful people in formal attire scattered in the public areas (I was parked at the Martini Bar for awhile). By handful, I mean I saw maybe 20 tuxes that night, and I was looking because the dress code was still relatively new at that time. I saw plenty of men in sports coats, some with ties but many without.

Caveat is that each cruise has a different passenger mix. If you enjoy dressing up in formal attire, then dress up. You can always choose to not do so on the second Evening Chic night if you feel out of place on the first. I don't think there's a definitive answer to your question other than fewer people are dressing up in formal attire since no one is forced to do it anymore.

We have dined in Luminae on our last 2 cruises. Reflection out of Miami March 2016 and Silhouette out of Amsterdam Sept 2016. I do remember seeing a suit in Luminae one night. Chic Nights does no apply to Blu or Luminae. Chic Nights is only for the MDR. I wear Ralph Lauren jeans and a Polo or Polo shirt every night. It really comes down to you and your other half want to wear.

What makes you think that Chic nights does not apply to Blu or Luminae? And by the way, on Chic nights during my latest cruise nearly all men wore dark suits or tuxes. Not one male showed up at Blu in a polo shirt. It's pretty funny when someone claims their $100+jeans are somehow more acceptable as fancy dining attire than trim cut Levis.

Edited by Fish Lover

What makes you think that Chic nights does not apply to Blu or Luminae? And by the way, on Chic nights during my latest cruise nearly all men wore dark suits or tuxes. Not one male showed up at Blu in a polo shirt. It's pretty funny when someone claims their $100+jeans are somehow more acceptable as fancy dining attire than trim cut Levis.

Jeans are perfectly acceptable to Celebrity and even made it into the dress code description of 'chic' how you feel about them is irrelevant

Dress code is easy to find online beside each restaurant - they all say Smart Casual

UM...Celebrity Cruise Lines maybe?

Clearly delineated in all their material, including web site. Dress code for Blu and Luminae is Smart Casual every night.

What ship, what sailing? Funny how your experience is so radically different from virtually everyone else, including the 100+ nights we've sailed =X= since the departure of formal nights.

Just spent 15 nights in Blu and saw a total of less than 10 tuxes (3 in the same group). Very very few in dark suits. A few in sport coats. Easily 75% in polo shirts, Hawai'ian shirts, Tommy Bahama-ish shirts, nice sweaters. None, unfortunately, would fit your definition of "chic" (which isn't even in the same dictionary as "formal wear.")

UM...Celebrity Cruise Lines maybe?

Clearly delineated in all their material, including web site. Dress code for Blu and Luminae is Smart Casual every night.

What ship, what sailing? Funny how your experience is so radically different from virtually everyone else, including the 100+ nights we've sailed =X= since the departure of formal nights.

Just spent 15 nights in Blu and saw a total of less than 10 tuxes (3 in the same group). Very very few in dark suits. A few in sport coats. Easily 75% in polo shirts, Hawai'ian shirts, Tommy Bahama-ish shirts, nice sweaters. None, unfortunately, would fit your definition of "chic" (which isn't even in the same dictionary as "formal wear.")

What ship were you on? Unless you or me or anyone else for that matter was on the exact cruise that "Fish Lover" was on, then you/me & everyone else has a totally mute point. A cruise can vary greatly from the next cruise. My cruise in Feb.7-14(Regal Princess) was a case in point: That week, it looked like a "trailer trash jamboree"(as I call it)bathing shorts at night, wife beater "t" shirts, cheesy sports team shirts etc. The following week Feb.14-21 was a complete opposite. Most pax followed the dress code(yes, they still do formal nights on Princess) Things can vary a lot from cruise to cruise.

Jeans are perfectly acceptable to Celebrity and even made it into the dress code description of 'chic' how you feel about them is irrelevant

Dress code is easy to find online beside each restaurant - they all say Smart Casual

Yes smart casual, except on "chic" nights....same as the MDR. Also, my comment was not about jeans, just the distinction between "designer" jeans and less expensive jeans. I find that comical