Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I know that my post will not be met with cheers that are quite popular in this Edge thread.

But I feel that in a few weeks many of you would notice the things that I am going to write about, and would agree with me.

Whoever designed the Edge staterooms, is a hotel designer, NOT a cruise ship stateroom designer.

Inside the cruise ship, it is all about the SPACE, storage plus horizontal space to put your stuff on.

Edge staterooms – regular, not the suites – do look like a European hotel, where people drop their bags for a couple of nights without unpacking, go around the town, eat out, sleep, and then keep going. The “sleek” design that X is touting and promoting, and that some of you have mentioned as a fresh gulp of air, is good for such “Eurotels”… but personally, I am disappointed.

Please do not take me wrong.

I am totally happy with modern design, colors (to a certain point) and layout (how one could mess the fleet-accepted positioning of 4-5 main furniture pieces?!).

I am not happy at all with spacing.

I was still unclear about the real look of the stateroom, because my impressions were mostly based on renderings, but once the detailed USA Today photo report appeared, I feel that X took a step back in designing the Edge. Again, I am sure many of you would disagree but I just want to voice my opinion, and I bet some of you will change their mind once they hear what I have to say.

Cruise ship stateroom space is precious, and Edge’s stateroom wastes this space - obviously.

I give you several examples.

1. Ugly – cannot say this in a different way – socket box. Whoever came with this idea, has to be fired. It eats a lot of space and it is a sore spot for an eye, no matter how you look at it. It looks odd as it is (empty),but now try to imagine multiple wires “octopussing” out of it… and you can’t keep anything atop of it, because eventually you would need to disconnect and re-use the adapters docked inside. What was wrong with keeping the sockets on the side of the “storage isle”, as it is on S series ships? Why it had to be moved on the top of the drawer/fridge unit? Beats me…

2. The closet is far smaller than on S ships, particularly due to the curvature where the useless niche sits – in renderings, there was either a vase or a coral placed, but I’d rather have there a couple of corner shelves for keeping small things like sunglasses or binoculars etc.

3. Why would one change the glass door-covered shelves in the bathroom (on S ships) with the open ones, without even small rails, like it is accustomed on the ships EVERYWHERE, to protect your stuff of falling down on the rough seas…

4. Many of us have already sighed about the pullout vanity desk – this is a cheap and definitely not a smart decision, because you CANNOT store anything on it, it has to be tucked in during the day to give space forgoing around the bed. I like to keep my laptop on the desk. DW likes to keep her makeup bags on the vanity desk. Stationary desk of S ships was good enough for that. Where this has to go now - on the "octopussy box"?

5. Where did the glass top small table of S ships go? Where the room service tray would land – that pitiful trunk-alike “chair” won’t hold it, and the balcony table has side handles popping up, so the standard room service tray will not fit there – unless Edge would have a special ones, but then you all know that even a standard hotel room service tray is about 2 ft wide…

6. Balcony “chairs” are a joke – what happened to good, sturdy, reclining S ship balcony lounge chairs? Yes, I got an idea of using these new ones inside the stateroom, but come on, they look even cheaper than IKEA-made, and just imagine trying to “sit back and relax” in those! Watch out for those backs!

7. Overall lack of HORIZONTAL space in the Edge stateroom is obvious – and yet the hotel designers still placed a relatively big table lamp on the chest of drawers. Why not just adding a sconce on the wall? (somebody already had mentioned this before, and it is really an obvious choice... but not for a “Eurotel”!)

8. There is a very strange positioning of a/c outlet, at least on the photos posted by the USA Today - I feel there is a cheap solution for alternating the couch and the bed (by the balcony or by the closet), but this observation needs more feedback from you “first-goers” – please pay attention to that. What I mean is that is looks like the position of the air ducts is fixed (next to the closet), so if your bed is there – next to the closet– then the a/c ducts are right above you, while for those who have beds at the balcony, will have the ducts will be over the couch. Not sure how this would affect the feel of the airflow, but again, recall that on S ships they are located over the closet, and therefore the airflow goes from the deeper end of the stateroom to the balcony.

There are a few other small things that I have noticed… However, the ones above are those I PERSONALLY feel would not be well accepted by me. I like the new design of the Edge a lot, I just think that the staterooms could have been arranged far better.

But that’s me.

There's not a lot there that I can disagree with --- to be honest, I think I agree with everything.

Hopefully, the cabins will look better once some of the soft furnishings are in place, pictures etc etc. I think Celebrity should have made up on of the cabins as it will be rather than let people take loads of publicity shots of it looking all bare and drab.

It is the storage that worries me and those awful chairs on the balcony that don't look like they can be adjusted. (Have I mentioned that before ---- ha ha ha ). Will just have to hope that by the time we get to her enough people will have complained that they have all been replaced ;-)

Am off to look again at the photos now as the rest of the ship is looking stunning. LOVE the atrium.

Edited by Presto2

I know that my post will not be met with cheers that are quite popular in this Edge thread.

But I feel that in a few weeks many of you would notice the things that I am going to write about, and would agree with me.

Whoever designed the Edge staterooms, is a hotel designer, NOT a cruise ship stateroom designer.

Inside the cruise ship, it is all about the SPACE, storage plus horizontal space to put your stuff on.

Edge staterooms – regular, not the suites – do look like a European hotel, where people drop their bags for a couple of nights without unpacking, go around the town, eat out, sleep, and then keep going. The “sleek” design that X is touting and promoting, and that some of you have mentioned as a fresh gulp of air, is good for such “Eurotels”… but personally, I am disappointed.

Please do not take me wrong.

I am totally happy with modern design, colors (to a certain point) and layout (how one could mess the fleet-accepted positioning of 4-5 main furniture pieces?!).

I am not happy at all with spacing.

I was still unclear about the real look of the stateroom, because my impressions were mostly based on renderings, but once the detailed USA Today photo report appeared, I feel that X took a step back in designing the Edge. Again, I am sure many of you would disagree but I just want to voice my opinion, and I bet some of you will change their mind once they hear what I have to say.

Cruise ship stateroom space is precious, and Edge’s stateroom wastes this space - obviously.

I give you several examples.

1. Ugly – cannot say this in a different way – socket box. Whoever came with this idea, has to be fired. It eats a lot of space and it is a sore spot for an eye, no matter how you look at it. It looks odd as it is (empty),but now try to imagine multiple wires “octopussing” out of it… and you can’t keep anything atop of it, because eventually you would need to disconnect and re-use the adapters docked inside. What was wrong with keeping the sockets on the side of the “storage isle”, as it is on S series ships? Why it had to be moved on the top of the drawer/fridge unit? Beats me…

2. The closet is far smaller than on S ships, particularly due to the curvature where the useless niche sits – in renderings, there was either a vase or a coral placed, but I’d rather have there a couple of corner shelves for keeping small things like sunglasses or binoculars etc.

3. Why would one change the glass door-covered shelves in the bathroom (on S ships) with the open ones, without even small rails, like it is accustomed on the ships EVERYWHERE, to protect your stuff of falling down on the rough seas…

4. Many of us have already sighed about the pullout vanity desk – this is a cheap and definitely not a smart decision, because you CANNOT store anything on it, it has to be tucked in during the day to give space forgoing around the bed. I like to keep my laptop on the desk. DW likes to keep her makeup bags on the vanity desk. Stationary desk of S ships was good enough for that. Where this has to go now - on the "octopussy box"?

5. Where did the glass top small table of S ships go? Where the room service tray would land – that pitiful trunk-alike “chair” won’t hold it, and the balcony table has side handles popping up, so the standard room service tray will not fit there – unless Edge would have a special ones, but then you all know that even a standard hotel room service tray is about 2 ft wide…

6. Balcony “chairs” are a joke – what happened to good, sturdy, reclining S ship balcony lounge chairs? Yes, I got an idea of using these new ones inside the stateroom, but come on, they look even cheaper than IKEA-made, and just imagine trying to “sit back and relax” in those! Watch out for those backs!

7. Overall lack of HORIZONTAL space in the Edge stateroom is obvious – and yet the hotel designers still placed a relatively big table lamp on the chest of drawers. Why not just adding a sconce on the wall? (somebody already had mentioned this before, and it is really an obvious choice... but not for a “Eurotel”!)

8. There is a very strange positioning of a/c outlet, at least on the photos posted by the USA Today - I feel there is a cheap solution for alternating the couch and the bed (by the balcony or by the closet), but this observation needs more feedback from you “first-goers” – please pay attention to that. What I mean is that is looks like the position of the air ducts is fixed (next to the closet), so if your bed is there – next to the closet– then the a/c ducts are right above you, while for those who have beds at the balcony, will have the ducts will be over the couch. Not sure how this would affect the feel of the airflow, but again, recall that on S ships they are located over the closet, and therefore the airflow goes from the deeper end of the stateroom to the balcony.

There are a few other small things that I have noticed… However, the ones above are those I PERSONALLY feel would not be well accepted by me. I like the new design of the Edge a lot, I just think that the staterooms could have been arranged far better.

But that’s me.

Thanks for the overview. I agree with many points, though l will reserve some judgment about overall appearance until we see the cabins with duvet, pillows, TV, pictures, etc. We will have to see about the functionality in person - sometimes the overall comfort and features of a stateroom help to soften the deficits and make it a positive experience overall (better shower, technology will be a positive for some, king bed without rounded corners, many options with IV configurations and being on an awesome ship). I can be forgiving of some things when the positives outweigh the negatives. It remains to be seen how things will shake out on this ship.

I noticed the chairs many months ago in the renditions and actually wondered why there wasn't more discussion about them here. They don't look like usual cruise ship balcony chairs that we use for sunbathing/reading (reclining with/without foot rest), but maybe it was designed more to fit a sunroom-type space, since guests will not be out on an open balcony? I am holding my breath to see what will be on the S1 aft balconies since they show the same type of furniture in the renditions. I really hope they fill those huge open balconies with some furniture for lounging in the sun. :)

I dunno. I’ve been comparing pics of S class veranda cabins and with the exception of a cubic foot of drawer space, they look pretty similar. Missing shelves though. And storage over bed which always felt dangerous to me. The IV is a LOT more streamlined with the lower bureaus - tv is not hulking over the desk, etc. Much nicer looking. Maybe there are still enclosed glass shelves on non-photographed areas of bathrooms? Maybe there are better shelves and nooks inside the closets? Maybe the tray with handles flips over to a flat side?

The desk chair gets in way - they should nuke it, put stool under desk and add a square table at end of sofa for room service. You’re welcome Kelly Hoppen.

It all looks darker (and smaller) than renderings but these are iphone pics and the exposure with so much light at end of room will make the rest look dark. If you take one of those photos and edit it to maximum light on your gadget, it looks better and probably truer to how it looks in real life. But if you compare the renderings to real, the ceiling lights are greatly reduced.

That said, I really dislike the grey color scheme in the interior areas like elevator bank and halls. I live in Miami and have seen this grey wood look a lot - it works best with a view of the ocean offsetting it, thus bringing to mind beached driftwood and such. Interior areas look like a prison.

Edited by DachshundsRule

Marylander 2..

I agree with your assessment. We are not paying big bucks for a no frills overnight hotel, but for what should be a well appointed a cruise ship Stateroom...The designer obviously did not grasp that concept. Lack of loungers on the Veranda or footrests is a perfect example, along with the other items you highlighted. I wonder if the outdoor balcs will have that same furniture???

We are in AQ for 7 nights in January, and then Sunset Veranda for 9 nights in, fall 2019 We hope to see if the suites are any better...right now unaffordable for us, but we hope to move up once prices stabilize..Maybe the oversize beds will work better there,

Are my eyes playing tricks on me again, caught this while watching one of the recent youtube videos. Looks like a wall separating the pool into two sections...[ATTACH]428393[/ATTACH]

Sometimes they have 2 sections...deeper side and more shallow with a raised area in the middle..not sure what is planned here.,,Depictions seemed to show one long pool...

Someone will know

Are my eyes playing tricks on me again, caught this while watching one of the recent youtube videos. Looks like a wall separating the pool into two sections...[ATTACH]428393[/ATTACH]

That´s the same design as on the Mein Schiff ships (1, 3 to 6 and the new 2) which all have a 25 m pool. The wall in the middle can be lifted up to separate the two areas in higher seas so the ships stays stable without emptying the pools completely. This was mentioned in a video/documentary about the Mein Schiff ships I saw recently.

steamboats

I am also concerned with the lack of storage space on the Edge. I do not know why the above the bed storage was eliminated. We found it very handy, especially if we added storage cubes in the above the bed cabinets. We like to bring multiple outfits and supplies on our cruises. Especially if we do back 2 back cruises.

Hope that more space then we are seeing is available.

Marylander2, I agree with most of your post. This is what happens when a cruise company hires a designer who has never taken a cruise to design staterooms.

There is less functional counter space, and I’ll miss the little storage shelves that were in the previous ships’ staterooms. I’m quite unimpressed with the fact that they’ve replaced adjustable balcony chairs with fixed-back balcony chairs. The angle, and low height, of the seat backs will force us to lean back at an unhealthy angle for our lower backs, while also placing strain on our necks. The little tables definitely seem inadequate for enjoying room service breakfasts. They’re barely adequate for wine glasses and a cheese & fruit plate;-) I also wonder what sort of footstools will appear on Aqua & Concierge IV’s. Many of us have requested more outlets, including outlets at bedside. Celebrity responded with an odd little outlet box. If they’d add a mirror to the bathroom door, there’d be no need to move the little desk/vanity.

Personally, I like the larger bed & the light in the shower. DH & I believe we’ll like the IV (versus the regular Veranda) but we won’t know until we experience it. I hope the closet includes shelves to make up for lost horizontal storage elsewhere. We’ll be testing storage and room flow thoroughly on a 15-night TA;p Fingers crossed, the pluses will outweigh the minuses.

I’m also chuffed about something I noticed in the very helpful article posted by Steamboats (post #3306). Looking at the photo of the bathroom shower, it appears there is a hand-held sprayer. There is also a sliding assembly above it that seems to be missing a shower head. It would be wonderful if all IV staterooms had hand-held sprayers:)

Edited by Silkroad

Someone somewhere said this was a thing that pops up to keep pool water more stable during rough seas?

Correct. It’s called a damper. This pool is so large that the amount of water in even slight seas could create a great deal of momentum. The damper prevents that. I think it retracts into the floor but I haven’t confirmed that.

DH said they had 4 cabins ready for the group but all were IV - just that one was bed near balcony and the other sofa near balcony. No suites, no inside, no other categories.

steamboats

Thank you steamboats. Appreciate the feedback and all the photos from your husband. The 360s were very cool too.

Maybe, Celebrity wants you to pack light for the actual clothes to be use on a cruise.

I know they've called part of the ship Eden, but I am anticipating taking more clothes than that dress code ( the odd fig leaf here and there) :D

Judging by the storage space so far there may be enough room for my clothes --- hubby will have to go 'au naturale' !!! :eek:

Thank you steamboats. Appreciate the feedback and all the photos from your husband. The 360s were very cool too.
Ditto. Thank you so much to Steamboats and Lloyd and everyone else who has provided great content for this thread.

Celebrity makes the cabins feel more spacious by recessing the bed into the wall slightly – to do this they have to alternate the bed location on adjoining cabins [my recess cuts into your space, but I pay you back because you recess cuts into mine].

I can see your point and it makes sense. Having learned the deck plan recess bed layout here on CC, if I had a choice I would always choose bed by bath.

All the ships I have been on for the past 10 years or more have all had that alternating design where the portion with the bed is wider than the living area... I think that is standard. From what I saw on a video... one thing they did was to move the structural wall from the exterior to the interior wall of the cabin... that means there is less steel around the window... helping to bring in more light. One nice thing with the dull neutral colors is that they can brighten and periodically change it up by adding brightly colored pillows and that runner they tend to have at the end of the bed. That electrical box really bugs me. It really looks like someone messed up and this was an after thought so they could keep that sliding out table.

One idea for storage for the next ship... is to have the art piece be designed so that it could be opened up and shelves fold down... so that you could use it for storage or just an art piece. Kinda like the way TVs over fireplace can be hidden by a piece of art. There is just so much little stuff that doesn't belong in the bathroom storage and not necessarily in drawer either. Cameras', binoculars, lap tops, books, CPAP bag, sunglasses, hats, etc. I have never felt the need to packing storage stuff or magnets for hanging stuff on the walls. I am not the neatest person at home... but I really don't like having my cabin look like a dump with stuff stacked up on the sofa because there is no other place for it. With that said.... surely they know this... I am counting on secret storage in the rounded corner near closet. One other comment. What I really liked about some Royal ships and S class. Is the rounded ends of the bed... that add space and do you really need that corner for sleeping? Also... many of the pieces of furniture are also rounded.. Nice not to have pointed corners to run in during high seas.. so I am surprised that they did not round the edges of some of these pieces.

All the ships I have been on for the past 10 years or more...,

One other comment. What I really liked about some Royal ships and S class. Is the rounded ends of the bed...

that add space and do you really need that corner for sleeping?

Nice not to have pointed corners to run in during high seas..

so I am surprised that they did not round the edges of some of these pieces.

Thank you.

Your post has not gone unnoticed.

Sorry to have shortened your post, but yes, I agree... how I hate running into corners in the middle of the night,

whilst visiting the pee house.:eek:

Michael

Since this will be my first Celebrity cruise, I have no way to make a valid comparison on some things being discussed. As I have said, I think the ship overall is beautiful and I like that Celebrity is doing something different.

I have seen many references to S Class though here. So for those of you that have sailed on Celebrity S Class, RCI Quantum Class and TUI Mein Schiff Class (steamboat and others), what are your thoughts? What are the glaring pluses and missed opportunities?