Debarkation procedures change?

Gracie115

Here is a wild and crazy thought--

Could this be the set up for a new revenue stream? If you want to stay in your cabin later than 7AM, pay an extra amount and you can do thought. I think there is a least one other cruise line who allows you a later departure for a fee.

I would not be surprised!

I think 7 am is too early...it is NOT like a shore excursion day, where you are anxious to be off the ship and exploring...you get out of your room to sit, like a bump on a log, in a hallway or public area someplace...if you are lucky enough to have some sort of status, you get to sit in a nicer area with maybe some stale pastries and coffee. But it's still a long and boring slog until your number is called (how many of us have "pretended" they called 17 when it was really 3 and just marched to get off) - only to find ourselves either WAY too early for our flight or way too early to check into our last day's hotel. It is a horrible day any way you slice it.

Could this be the set up for a new revenue stream? If you want to stay in your cabin later than 7AM, pay an extra amount and you can do thought. I think there is a least one other cruise line who allows you a later departure for a fee.

That is my thought.

I agree that the problem is not people staying in their cabin too long, but new people boarding expecting their cabin to be ready ASAP. I see no problem with cabins being ready at 3 PM or so.

That is my thought.

I agree that the problem is not people staying in their cabin too long, but new people boarding expecting their cabin to be ready ASAP. I see no problem with cabins being ready at 3 PM or so.

What has changed? Why does it suddenly take 6 hours to turn the cabins instead of 5. Cabin access time is still the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I read somewhere on X website years ago that you could pay a late departure fee, I think they still do. So...not a new revenue stream idea. For what it's worth, we are packed and ready at 7, then eat breakfast, come back, pick up our bags, use the facilities, brush teeth, etc., then vacate an no one has every complained to us or suggested an extra charge.

I think the 7am vacate time is ridiculous. 8am was early enough. Frankly, I'll get out when I'm ready. I'm not leaving the cabin after 8am, but I'm not gonna kill myself to get out at 7am only to wait around somewhere else for hours.

That's the key. If one can get off the ship in a timely manner, then 7:00 is not too early. Sometimes, the ship doesn't even dock until later in the morning. Either way, once I am up and ready, I would rather hang out in the public areas to people watch :D instead of sitting in my stateroom.

I AM ON HOLIDAY!

yes I mean to shout. I have trained the other half out of these crazy early morning flights to save $100. I definitely do not get up early to do excursions. I will fly the night before and as I have to check out of my hotel at 10am or so I will head directly to the ship whereupon Michaels Club does an excellent job of keeping me entertained until my room is ready.

So why on the final morning of my relaxing holiday do I have to completely ruin my enjoyment with this silliness?

It was asked that luggage be out by 10PM. Once we finished dinner and then finished packing our bag was out about 11PM. No problem.

The disembarkation letter with our luggage tags asked that we vacate the cabin by 8AM. We were out right about that time, headed to the buffet for breakfast and shortly after our tag was called. From what I could see, there were several cabins that were still occupied at 8AM.

7AM is pushing it though! Maybe let your cabin steward know the night before that you might be dawdling a bit. They can only clean and set up one cabin at a time.

I find it absolutely incredible that vacating rooms by 7.00am instead of previous 8.00 am is such an issue. I cant help thinking about the number of early rises one does on a port intensive cruise in order to get ashore early to meet transport or make the most of ones day. I think its time someone got a grip of themselves. When we come on board we all want access to our cabins as soon as possible so lets give the stateroom crew some assistance. You have had your holiday and get off and let the new crowd start theirs.

If you had read my review, you will see that to vacate our room by 7am, I need to get up at 3am. Needless to say, we would never arrange and early shore excursion.

We were on the December 11 sailing of the Eclipse and our luggage had be out by 10:00 PM. We were also told that we needed to be out of our cabins by 7:00 AM.

To be fair, we were told the collection period was 6pm to 10pm but it was also strongly suggested that this meant putting luggage out before dinner. As we usually ate at 8pm, the 10pm deadline in effect meant before dinner.

Get a grip? Seriously? Perhaps you are always an early riser. We rarely are. We don't take vacations that require us to be up and out if our room at the butt crack of dawn. Nor do I expect my cabin to be ready when I board, unless we board exceptionally late. Any more than I would expect my hotel room to be ready if I arrived early in the day. Nor does this early eviction result in earlier cabin access for arrivals.

This change can be laid squarely at the feet of the cost cutters. The cabin stewards now need more time to clean the cabins because they no longer have the help of the assistant stewards. The cutbacks in service personnel (Cabins and dining room) are one of the reasons that our cruise next month will likely be our last on X.

Nicely put. :)

I plan on writing to Celebrity about this one, as I mentioned in another thread. I'm not a complainer and few things that bother many people bother me. But this does - I don't think incoming passengers need cabins before 2 or 3pm - there's far more aboard to keep one entertained/occupied than hotels offer - and most of them don't guarantee checkin until 3pm. What hotel in the world forces you to rise at 6am to be out by 7am?

I'd much rather the previous passenger enjoy their final morning in reasonable comfort and leave rested vs getting up at 6am or earlier and feeling rushed out. I'll happily sip my drink and people watch until 3 or 4pm.

I do hope at least a fraction of the folks on here annoyed will take a few min of their time to email, call or mail celebrity a note. Venting here feels good but won't accomplish much. The line's management team needs to hear from enough passengers first hand that this cut is not acceptable or they'll assume people are fine with it, as a few posters here are.

I find it absolutely incredible that vacating rooms by 7.00am instead of previous 8.00 am is such an issue. I cant help thinking about the number of early rises one does on a port intensive cruise in order to get ashore early to meet transport or make the most of ones day. I think its time someone got a grip of themselves. When we come on board we all want access to our cabins as soon as possible so lets give the stateroom crew some assistance. You have had your holiday and get off and let the new crowd start theirs.

Very well said! :)

If you are on a B2B and switching cabins, does that mean you need to vacate the cabin by 7 AM and then amuse yourself with your carryons in a public area for five hours

I was wondering something similar.

We won't need to vacate by 7 because the cabin attendant doesn't need to change our cabin over for the new occupants.

But I'm wondering at what point the hallway doors will be locked - denying us access to our cabins.

We had this unpleasant surprise on our first Celebrity B2B a couple of years ago. We were previously Princess cruisers and had access to our cabins for the whole day of the turn around on Princess so hadn't taken anything with us in the morning only to find out that we couldn't go back (for sunscreen or something else we hadn't taken to breakfast) until ALL of the cabins were opened at 1:30 or so.

Now, at least I'll know to ask.

EDIT: Misread your comment. We're not changing cabins but our friends are. That's an EXCELLENT question!

Edited by chamima

.........This change can be laid squarely at the feet of the cost cutters. The cabin stewards now need more time to clean the cabins because they no longer have the help of the assistant stewards. The cutbacks in service personnel (Cabins and dining room) are one of the reasons that our cruise next month will likely be our last on X.

I would agree that the Management Cost Cutters are the root of the problem. I saw a programme recently about hotel cleanliness, bacteria everywhere which really concerned me and made me think of how quick the cabin steward does our cabin.

Does he really clean my cabin or just make the bed and change the towels?

Does he have sufficient time to do anything properly?

Are these cost cutting measures putting my health at risk?

More and more of our recent cruises we have labelled the ship SICK, people coughing and spluttering all over the place, more so these days than my memory can recall of the past.

Why ? Cleanliness must be a major factor and the housekeeping staff need more time not less, halving the workforce must have consequence, I hope its not my health. I love cruising but serious questions are looming as I get older and become more vulnerable to the dreaded lurgee.

I was wondering something similar.

We won't need to vacate by 7 because the cabin attendant doesn't need to change our cabin over for the new occupants.

But I'm wondering at what point the hallway doors will be locked - denying us access to our cabins.

We had this unpleasant surprise on our first Celebrity B2B a couple of years ago. We were previously Princess cruisers and had access to our cabins for the whole day of the turn around on Princess so hadn't taken anything with us in the morning only to find out that we couldn't go back (for sunscreen or something else we hadn't taken to breakfast) until ALL of the cabins were opened at 1:30 or so.

Now, at least I'll know to ask.

EDIT: Misread your comment. We're not changing cabins but our friends are. That's an EXCELLENT question!

We did a B2B on our most recent trip and had the same cabin. When we attempted to return to our cabin after breakfast we found the sliding door that separates the elevator area from the hallway was shut and locked.

No big deal but we would liked to have known beforehand. We had access to our cabin during disembarkation day on previous B2Bs.

Just read Project Gal's review of her Christmas Equinox cruise and was disturbed at her statements that X is now expecting luggage out in the halls BEFORE dinner the last night and also to vacate rooms by 7AM....has anyone else on any other ship experienced this? We were Equinox in November and this was not the procedure so I'm hoping it was a one time thing.....can anyone confirm or deny this change?

Last month on Equinox we were instructed to put luggage out by 10 PM and be out of the cabin by 8AM.

Does he really clean my cabin or just make the bed and change the towels?

No. Yes.

Does he have sufficient time to do anything properly?

No.

Are these cost cutting measures putting my health at risk?

Yes.

Our recent cruise was in November on Constellation. We were in Aqua Class stateroom. The only "clean" items in the stateroom were: towels and sheets. The carpet didn't see the vacuum cleaner for weeks. There were dirty Cafe Al Bacio napkins under the bed. There were glass rings on the shelves in the bathroom. There were balls of hair in the closet. The TV stand/cooler was so dusty that I got horrified. I had to put on my rubber gloves and spent good 45 minutes wiping and cleaning the stateroom.

Did I complain? NO. I don't want my toothbrush to be used for toilet cleaning. But I sent (as I call it) my "Love Letter" to Miami office after we got back home.

Our recent cruise was in November on Constellation. We were in Aqua Class stateroom. The only "clean" items in the stateroom were: towels and sheets. The carpet didn't see the vacuum cleaner for weeks. There were dirty Cafe Al Bacio napkins under the bed. There were glass rings on the shelves in the bathroom. There were balls of hair in the closet. The TV stand/cooler was so dusty that I got horrified. I had to put on my rubber gloves and spent good 45 minutes wiping and cleaning the stateroom.

Did I complain? NO. I don't want my toothbrush to be used for toilet cleaning. But I sent (as I call it) my "Love Letter" to Miami office after we got back home.

You gave me an idea...(I think I should at least get a little percentage if it actually works).

For a small fee, I (or someone that buys into my soon to be created franchise!) can take a cruise and spend the first day deep cleaning rooms. Let's say for $100 bucks and I spend an hour per room, I can do 8 or 9 rooms on that first day. Depending on demand, I could do some on the second day. I could pay for most of my cruise, and still have 6 days of vacation!

I know some would pay, just not sure how many!