Now with so many "service animals" do they have a Vet onboard ?

dgparent

Judgment of people who have animals with them is the same as judging those who need to take the elevator one floor. You don't know their circumstances or what service the animal is providing.

When you see an individual pushing around a small dog in a baby carriage in the buffet, that tells you all you need to know about the individual.

When you see an individual pushing around a small dog in a baby carriage in the buffet, that tells you all you need to know about the individual.

And since they don't have a vet you could always slip the pampered pooch a piece of chocolate! :eek:

Nah, that's probably a bit too nasty! :D

There is a big difference between the "service dog" and an " emotional support animal".

The service dog is similar to a seeing eye dog and the emotional support animal is either along because the owner is basically too fragile emotionally to travel alone (and probably should not be cruising) or humanizes the dog or cat and believes it is their baby, or is too doggone cheap to have the animal boarded while they cruise.

I have been on some of the Solstice class ships with the grass lawns. I have watched a few people with dogs walking on the lawns. Fortunately, I have not observed any dogs using the lawns as a bathroom. That would really be inappropriate, to say the least!

We have seen few dogs on our cruises. On one, there was one legitimate service dog accompanying a visually impaired cruiser. Then there was this lady with the baby carriage and her small dog. What really bothered me was that she was feeding the dog food from the buffet.

She put in in a bowl and placed the bowl on the floor. I heard that she was a "regular".

When we went on our tour last year, we saw the area for "walking" pets on board. It was nowhere near the grassy area but on a lower deck.

I hope they clean the rooms the dogs are in?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a allergy test and YES my biggest allergy was to DOGS.

I have no problem TRUE service dogs, but the so called emotional support dogs, I have an issue with.

We were in the D+ lounge, and I guess, the husband, brought his wife's service dog in, and it was a true service dog, at least I think, the dog was allowed on the furniture and chairs, again I guess while his wife was getting ready, for formal night. He left, the concierge said nothing, I said something to the concierge and he replied "SO".

Anyway later a lovely lady came in wearing a EXPENSIVE designer gown, sets down where the dog had been setting and eating, enough said.

Relevant info from the special needs department is posted below. Again, no one knows the circumstances involved in any one animal being onboard. I personally have only seen one seeing-eye dog and evidence that it's a widespread issue is anecdotal at best. It is Celebrity's policy to accommodate them, and they follow guidelines published by international bodies.

The small dog in a baby buggy could be like my friend's pug that is trained to alert her to seizures. If you've ever been around a pug, you know they cannot walk very far on their own because they get overheated. Being on a large ship, I don't find it unreasonable that the dog would be being carted around. As far as someone feeding their dog at the table, that is on Celebrity to enforce their own rules.

"A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability." Service dogs are not considered pets.

Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful, but not required

Service dogs are permitted to accompany the person with a disability in all public areas, including dining venues. While in public areas, service dogs must be on a leash, harness, or other restraining device. Due to health regulations, service dogs are not permitted in pools, whirlpools or spas.

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc.

If you have an animal that does not meet the definition of a service animal (i.e. a dog trained to perform a task) but must accompany you in order to assist you with your disability, please contact our Access Department at least 60 days prior to sailing."

I know that an airline requires a current letter from a psychologist or psychiatrist stating the person needs an emotional support animal. The animal must remain in their crate during the flight.

Yes, you can buy the certificates and vests online but they are bogus.

Basically, if someone on board has a well behaved dog and it does not interfere with any of my doings in any way, I am not going to say anything. However, if that dog does relieve itself on the deck or lawn area, I am going to get very upset and will speak to the owner and to the appropriate official on board.

Sandtrap328, the standard poodle in his little vest that said support animal was not in a crate. I know this as he kept trying to climb into my lap & barking incessantly. The flight crew ended up removing the woman & her dog before we departed the gate as they were too disruptive. My cousin has had 11 guide dogs (she's been blind since birth). A true service animal doesn't act in a disruptive manner, they wouldn't get through the extensive training.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a serious note, I do understand the value and importance of a service animal. I also know that this has become one of the most abused work arounds I have seen in recent years.

I work with and train service dogs. Per the ADA there are three types of support animals - Service animals, Emotional Support animals, and Therapy animals.

Service animals (usually dogs) require the most training, maybe a couple of hundred hours or more, and meet the highest standards but also have the most privileges. The most obvious service animals are those for the visually impaired. But there are many justifications for a service animal - hearing impaired, neurological conditions, medication reminder, and about 10 other less obvious categories.

Therapy animals are the next level. These are animals that usually work in hospitals, convalescent homes, and long term nursing facilities to give emotional support to other people usually not the owner. These require extensive training but not as much as a service dog. They have fewer privileges than a service animal, for example they are NOT supposed to be permitted in a restaurant or grocery store.

Emotional support animals require virtually no training other than some basic obedience commands. These animals are mostly justified by people who experience air flight anxiety, but there could be other reasons. They have the fewest privileges. This is the class most subject to abuse by their owners.

I own a Therapy dog and we work in the local health facilities. I am somewhat allergic to dogs. I needed a breed that was non-shedding and hypoallergenic to live in my home and work in hospitals. I selected the Havanese breed. Although a long haired dog in their natural coat, they are non-shedding and hypo-allergenic. They are smallish (under 15 pounds), intelligent, highly social, not shy, sturdy, and adaptable. My dog gives comfort and support to those, both adults and children, who are confined in a licensed health care facility.

Back to Mr. Click's comments, I agree with him. Support animal privileges are abused. Often you can get a bogus certification from an online site that is just looking for easy money. It is like the abuse of handicap parking placards. I support stronger enforcement of support animal and handicap parking requirements and standards. Although support animals may be justified on aircraft, support animals on cruise ships should be very limited. Cunard allows dogs of any type, including pets, on the Queen Mary. However they need to be in a kennel while on board and they have limited hours outside in a fenced area each day with a kennel master. I would never allow my dog to be confined in that type of environment. So I will not be taking my dog on a cruise ship. Although he would not cause any problems, he would not be as happy as staying home with proper supervision.

Dogs in strollers and feeding dogs from the table on a cruise ship are a red flag. A trained support dog does not require that type of accommodation. They may be a legitimate service dog, but there is a larger possibility that they are not. Trained support dogs do not require a stroller or feeding from a table.

Unfortunately, current law does not allow any challenges to "support animals" on board or any environment. So the whole discussion on CC is mute. I have seen one service dog on board in my travels, for the visually impaired, a German Shepherd. The dog was properly trained and well behaved. DO NOT APPROACH A SERVICE ANIMAL UNLESS YOU ASK PERMISSION FIRST FROM THE OWNER!

I hope that "support animals" on cruise ships in the future will be minimal and well supervised. This is a privilege that I fear will be more abused in the future. I will be monitoring the developments carefully. If you are allergic to a particular animal while on board, do not hesitate to contact guest services and medical staff. They are required to accommodate you as much as the support animal. Thank you for reading.