8:55am return flight possibility - feedback?

Z-Bird

Looking for some feedback on taking an early morning flight back home after our cruise. We are sailing on the Equinox this October out of Miami and need to book return flights to San Diego. We have looked at Miami and Ft Lauderdale airports and are considering an 8:55am nonstop out of Miami. It is very tempting when we think about landing in San Diego by 11:30am that day! Here are factors we are considering:

1. It looks like the Miami airport is only a 10 minute drive from the port (maybe longer at 7:30am on a Monday?).

2. We pack lightly and could easily be with 1st passengers walking off the ship

3. While it is a little stressful to have a flight this close to debarkation, it is also really nice to have a nonstop 5 ½ hour flight home.

4. We can book backup Southwest Airline flights out of Ft. Lauderdale that leave at 10:15am, have one stop, and arrive at 2:45pm. There wouldn't be any fee if we cancel these SWA flights that day. There would be a $300 fee to cancel the AA flights.

5. We are in Key West the previous night on the ship so there shouldn't be any weather delays in getting back to Miami on time. We realize that issues at customs for somebody on the ship could be the factor that delays disembarkation.

Is it too dicey to try for this 8:55am flight, or is there a good chance we would make it? Thanks!

I, personally would not do this. I am on the same cruise that you are and had earlier options, but booked my flight for 1:35. Yes, I would love to get home earlier, but learned my lesson a few years ago. We were fogged in (out to sea) in Tampa and did not reach the port until 11am. By the time the disembarking process started, it was after 1:00. Sooooo many people missed their flights.

Edited by champagne123
sssss

I would also question the 10:15 flight, that could also be a problem. The last thing I want to do is go on a nice cruise and worry about whether I'm going to make the flight at the end. As far as weather, it is still Hurricane season in October.

I wouldn't even dream of it. Even with walking off, there is the massive customs line, a flurry of other people wanting access to taxis, shuttles etc and there is little chance you will make it from the port to the airport in ten minutes. Then there is airport security! I don't believe you could even make it out of the port in that timeframe nevermind make a flight. Just mho

Really appreciate the feedback, especially regarding specific issues at MIA. We haven't booked those AA flights yet so will look at other alternatives.

Do most of you think the 10:15am out of FLL is also too dicey?

I just love these "can I make this ......flight". I always suggest disembark at the last port and fly home from there if you have to be home immediately at the end of your vacation. If you need to get home, don't take this specific cruise

Really appreciate the feedback, especially regarding specific issues at MIA. We haven't booked those AA flights yet so will look at other alternatives.

Do most of you think the 10:15am out of FLL is also too dicey?

This should be fine. Some might not realize that not every poster who asks about flights is familiar with the airports. I believe that the value of Cruise Critic is that those with experience can share with those who want to know.

Regarding the early flight out of MIA, since your last port of call is Key West you will clear customs there freeing up time . That said, your question is a typical risk/reward one. The reward is you make the flight and get home early, the risk is you miss it and incur extra cost and further delays. While I personally wouldn't try a flight that early, as long as you have an acceptable backup plan if you miss it then go for it.

Another option is to debark in Key West. Rent a car, stay near MIA and catch the earlier flight.

Really appreciate the responses, and given the essentially unanimous feedback that an 8:55am flight is cutting it too close, we are going to book the 10:15am SWA flight out of FLL, with a later SWA flight also booked as a backup to that.

Thanks again for the valuable insights.

Regarding the early flight out of MIA, since your last port of call is Key West you will clear customs there freeing up time . That said, your question is a typical risk/reward one. The reward is you make the flight and get home early, the risk is you miss it and incur extra cost and further delays. While I personally wouldn't try a flight that early, as long as you have an acceptable backup plan if you miss it then go for it.

Another option is to debark in Key West. Rent a car, stay near MIA and catch the earlier flight.

On Mardi Gras cruise our last port before Ft Lauderdale was New Orleans. We went through Immigration there, but not Customs since one could still be while at sea on the ship. Went through C and I at Ft Lauderdale. Think the same will be true on his cruise.

If the cruise starts in Miami, then AIUI disembarking in Key West would violate the PVSA. I'd therefore be surprised if the cruise line were to allow that.

If the cruise starts in Miami, then AIUI disembarking in Key West would violate the PVSA. I'd therefore be surprised if the cruise line were to allow that.

There is a $300 fine per person to do that!

On Mardi Gras cruise our last port before Ft Lauderdale was New Orleans. We went through Immigration there, but not Customs since one could still be while at sea on the ship. Went through C and I at Ft Lauderdale. Think the same will be true on his cruise.

And not sure if you noticed, but disembarkation was delayed by at least an hour due to an oil spill in our assigned berth.

No criticism from me whatsoever .... but we were in Ft Lauderdale with a flight out of Ft Lauderdale at 11:17 (the cruiseline suggested 11:30 or after and think the earliest they wanted you to book a flight for Miami was afternoon ... 1 or 2 PM or something like that. We were in one of the first groups off and still just made our flight with very little time to spare. If sailing into Miami and flying out of MIA, the absolute earliest I would plan is 11:30 and if FLL, 12:30 PM to be on the safe side.

Sorry - I thought this board was for asking for feedback. I didn't realize we would be ridiculed for posting questions.

To the OP, think about it, you are asking a question to hundreds of people who have experienced different scenerios. In a perfect world, anything could be accomplished, but think today, post 9/11 security, not even putting your cruise into the picture. You may think your cruise is not encountering any problems, but you are not on the bridge, seeing future weather systems, or knowing that just one passenger may have not followed the rules and is holding up CBP and the ship. Then you have the port, are the workers ready to receive the ship? The longshoremen, people who unload the luggage, are they moving quickly, even though you can walk off, there are multiple factors which would prevent the ship from being cleared quickly. Then you have your taxi to the airport, traffic? Then the security line at the airport, once we thought we had enough time, 2 hours, before our flight, thought we would breeze through security and have time to grab a relaxing breakfast. NOT, we stood in line, that started outside the terminal, threaded our way in and made the gate as the boarding started. Sure CC is the place to ask, but just be aware that what maybe not be a problem today, may be a major problem tomorrow. Good Luck and happy cruising.

Really appreciate the responses, and given the essentially unanimous feedback that an 8:55am flight is cutting it too close, we are going to book the 10:15am SWA flight out of FLL, with a later SWA flight also booked as a backup to that.

That'a good plan....travel lite, line up for walk off 45 min before they tell you to and grab a cab...i think sometimes at Miami if you take a porter they get u right through..even if you do not have alot of luggage...

Much depends on how early youur ship is cleared, traffic, the # ships coming into FLL whose pax will get there ahead of you, security lines etc...hope for TSA pre check..It will be tight but you may be lucky! .Have fun and good luck...

my wife and I haven't gone out of Miami in a long time so I cant comment on the Miami timing. we have done many cruises out of fort Lauderdale. we just were on the sillouette at the end of January. we were one of the first off with our luggage and were at the airport and sitting down at our gate before 8:00. people say that there might be a delay with the cruise or customs which there could be but if you have a back up plan I would go for it. also people say that there might be a delay to get a taxi. we have found that if you get off the ship as one of the first ones there is no trouble getting a cab right away. now we have gotten off the ship later like 9:00 and yes there were long taxi lines. the 10:15 flight out of fort Lauderdale should be no problem as long as things go right. with a back up plan with southwest with no charge it becomes a no brainer. i would do more research on the Miami flight because im not sure there. the problem there is that if your doing a different airline other than southwest that could be a financial problem if you miss the flight due to a problem. the southwest thing to me would be the way to go. you will have to pay extra for a cab going to fort Lauderdale though.

We always book an early afternoon flight.but if you feel you can make the 10:15 flight then go for it! :p Check to see if your ship has the luggage valet program.If so it would benefit you to use it as you will be cleared to leave the ship without going through customs and through security at the airport ,you can go directly to your gate.We always use luggage valet,it's awesome.:D

It isn't unanimous!

Especially after I read (and have no personal experience, but assume it's true), that you go through customs the day before in Key West.

If you are first in line to get off ship (line up an hour early), only have carry-on luggage, have already checked in for flight, and especially if you have pre check, you would easily make that flight almost every time.

We made 915 flight a year and a half ago, and could have easily made 830...and that was with customs in Miami.

It depends how much risk you want to take.

Some on this board will say, "fly in 2 days early...stay 2 days later...just in case something goes wrong..." And that is totally FINE for them, but for many others...especially some that are more experienced at traveling or dealing with travel detours your flight will be an easy one.

Good luck in whatever you chose, and have a great cruise!

The last time we disembarked in Miami, the immigration computers were down and we had to stand in line for 45 mins. waiting for them to come back online. You're right that the airport is pretty close (15 mins.) but this is one time I would choose a later flight. I'm with you - I don't know why they have so many early flights to SAN and so few later ones. I wish they'd have more 10 or 11am ones.

If you DO go with an early flight, make sure you know what other 2 or 3 flights you can get on in case you miss the 8:55am one. Go armed with a Plan B and Plan C to avoid further problems.

Greetings

If you debark at Key West you will be fined $600 for violating the PVSA.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

We've been able to make early flights, and we've also been still standing in line at 11am. You just never know.

This last February, Eclipse started disembarkation about 7am. If you were in line at 6:30 ready to go so that you were first, had nothing to declare, and grabbed a cab, you could probably make it to MIA.

The 10:15 at FLL is actually potentially more risky, since you have to get through the traffic to FLL!

I'd say, book the 8:55 flight out of MIA and be prepared to be first in line. Book the afternoon flight on Southwest at FLL as a backup plan, not the 10:15 flight. If things go wrong, they are likely to go really wrong, not just by a few minutes.

Between now and then, sign up and pay for TSA Pre-Check if you don't already have it. Global Entry would be better. Take you GE card if you get one, as that might speed you through like at Port of Miami and does give you a KTN for Pre-Check. Travel lightly so you have carry on only and can easily carry your bags. Be ready to move quickly and be certain to check in online the day before.