NCL changed Latitude rewards without any notice!!!

Maxsboubie

I'm going to be petty here.

By saying "sorry you didn't take the time to review the changes" you are assuming OP received the information on the changes. The tone of your post was rather obvious.

I realize it is popular here to rebut with "I stated facts!!!1!1" but in this case, you didn't.

It isn't a matter of rebut what is being stated, it is the matter of over reacting to something. the changes were announced a while back the OP says he was not aware of them that could be but if he paid any attention, spent any time of CC or didn't any checking he would have been aware of the changes. Plus the program is free for heaven's sake:rolleyes::rolleyes: I know people who are close to one level and not have to work a little longer to get there are a bit disappointed but the addition of platinum plus is helping others. :'):')

In the OP's defense, I was on a cruise that left on 1/29 and never received an email from NCL about the changes. When I returned home and logged onto Cruise Critic, and read multiple pages on the topic, was the first I learned of it.

But the changes were not relevant for your cruise. Or were they?

I can't figure out from what the OP wrote if the changes went into effect during their cruise ("We were on the cruise when the changes went into affect.") or if they went into effect before their cruise started ("The changes went into affect the week before our cruise.")

We were on a two week cruise that left on 1/29 and received the old latitudes platinum benefits; each a meal for two at LeBistro.

Beat them at their own game? Look for a special offer of no, or reduced, single supplement then book both a balcony and an inside guarantee. Lower fare and double latitudes perqs . . .

Because you received the email, you assume everyone did.

I never received the update notification email. Evidently I am not alone.

We also didn't get the notification email and instead learned about the changes here on Cruise Critic. And I do check all my emails plus my spam folder every day. We do get other emails from NCL about 'last chance' for current promos, etc.

We were on a two week cruise that left on 1/29 and received the old latitudes platinum benefits; each a meal for two at LeBistro.

I never claimed to have lost any perks. My point was that I was never notified of the changes.

And "but if he paid any attention, spent any time of CC or didn't any checking he would have been aware of the changes."' Nita, you are being ridiculous - again.

We just got off a two week cruise and were shocked when we read the notice on our bed. We booked this cruise a year ago and understood what we were entitled to with our platinum level. Many things were changed or taken away. No more "dinner for two with wine at the Bistro" for each person. Now it's per cabin. We are both platinum level and lost our 4 bottles and 4 dinners at Bistro (2week cruise B2B). Also, we could always exchange the champagne for wine--- no more! The changes went into affect the week before our cruise. I'm DONE with NCL. You can keep your reward system. There were a lot of other changes. None good.

Now that is unfortunate. I have always exchanged mine for a bottle of red at one of the bars. The only alternative is to give it to the cabin steward since I don't drink champagne.

I never claimed to have lost any perks. My point was that I was never notified of the changes.

Just answering the question raised by the other cruiser I quoted, not asserting anything about your notification.

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm greatful for the perks I will receive as an incentive for being previous cruisers.

We get free meals at specialty and free booze what could be bad about that?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm greatful for the perks I will receive as an incentive for being previous cruisers.

We get free meals at specialty and free booze what could be bad about that?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am platinum plus and enjoy cruising NCL but if I didn't follow CC I wouldn't have a clue about their changes. I don't get many emails and when I do it's about trying to get me to take another cruise. I feel they do a very poor job of keeping even their very seasoned travelers informed of changes. They are still my favorite line but little by little I am finding things they do irritate me. I guess after 10 years the honeymoon is over.

The change was widely advertised when it was implemented last month. We got multiple emails about the change. Maybe you just deleted or ignored those messages.

That is interesting. We got ZERO emails or notification from NCL about it. Found out here from posts.

We were on the cruise when the changes went into affect. WE GOT NO NOTICE. Another change, previously, you could order whatever you want at Bistro. Now, one app, one meal , one dessert! We like salad and soup before....everything is ala carte. So, you pay for anything extra. NCL shouldn't depend on sites like this to notify people about major changes. If a B2B is booked as two separate cruises, you get double benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still catching up, but the 1-1-1 at Le Bistro was actually changed around 1.5 years ago. I don't agree with it and think it is cheap, but they did change it awhile ago and it was, eventually, incorporated into the T&C.

This discussion is focussing quite a lot on whether NCL should have done a better job of informing people of the changes.

Maybe they should. I'm pretty sure they don't actually have to. I haven't looked at the legalities of the latitudes program, but I'd be fairly surprised if they couldn't legally just cancel the scheme without actively telling us.

They should tell people about these sort of changes, and others, but the fact is that they usually don't. I'd have thought that anyone who has sailed NCL enough to reach platinum would know that.

This isn't just an NCL problem (although they are one of the worst). I'm a member of quite a few loyalty schemes (airlines, hotels, supermarkets) and the rules change often. Sometimes they tell you and sometimes they don't. In my opinion, NCLs efforts with this one have been better than average.

So, what do we do about this? Not just grumble about whether they should or shouldn't have told us. Maybe take our business elsewhere, but I think there is an element of cutting your nose off to spite your face, and who is to say that the alternative will be much better in this respect (probably a bit better, but not much).

What I do is actively try to keep myself up to date with changes.

That doesn't mean being on cruise critic 24-7. This is the only forum related to travel that I use regularly. For the main airline and hotel group I use I subscribe to a daily email from a blog (which I rarely actually ever visit). That's I know about the latest changes to both their schemes as I wasn't informed directly (unlike by NCL).

The other thing I do is just check their websites before travelling. I wouldn't book a flight on an airline a year in advance and then just head off to the airport assuming that everything was the same as when I booked. Something will almost certainly have changed.

Thats where I lose sympathy with people who get caught out. Yes, NCL should have informed them, but why not make things a little easier for yourself and be a bit proactive. It doesn't take long just to check the website before leaving. I understand that when changes happen some people can get caught out as they are travelling etc, but if the OP has just come back from a 2 week cruise then the new rules would have been posted online for about a month before their cruise started.

Had they done that and seen the changes then it would have been very beneficial for them. Firstly it wouldn't have been a surprise when boarding, but also they would have been able to check they got what they should have.

I'm still confused as to what the OP received regarding meals, but it doesn't sound correct under the new rules. I also wonder whether they missed out on any new benefits (internet, shore excursion discount etc). They don't mention some mysterious bottles of water, so are they just choosing to focus on the negatives or did they not get them?

Yes, NCL should probably inform us, but it's no surprise if they don't. Rather than grumble about it, let's just take those few minutes to make sure we know what we should be getting, especially if it is important to us.

Edited by KeithJenner

Ok, let me get this straight.....the OP is unhappy because they did not get enough free stuff to which they thought thy were entitled to?

If they did know in advance, how would have affected their cruise; would they have canceled? Do people cruise only for their 'frequent flyer' level and the things that are offered (again for free)?

I was sent an e-mail notice but really didn't pay attention to it. I figured I would find out what the program was offering when I got on the ship. Things change so much now with companies, there aren't many that keep perks around for customers for long, especially with all of the Lean programs in big companies. They are pretty much all the same. Wouldn't be enough to ruin a cruise.

Safe cruising all.

We're in your boat too. I have not received any communication from NCL in year's.

O.K. You have probably asked NCL not to communicate with you in your profile. And if you ask them not to communicate with you, they won't. That's your choice.

We get a couple of emails a week. We get notified of specials. We get notified of Latitude bonuses. We get notified when the booking perks change. And we got notified when the program changed.

Other options are getting public press releases: https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-enhanced-latitudes-rewards-program-loyal-guests

23c62a30127f646fa09426ce94364e38.jpg

Others complain about missing the 2 cruise next offers

2/23/17

a8afff8dada468ddc34b410b3f20c73e.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

I think the new Latitudes program is an improvement because it adjusts benefits available to the most frequent guests. Face it, it's always been pretty easy to achieve platinum status. NCL took very few rewards away when they reworked the program and introduced new benefits to reward their most frequent guests. And, like most, we did receive a heads-up that the program was changing. And despite the constant threat of NCL boycotts over every little change on CC, I haven't noticed a decrease in passenger numbers or a shortage of return guests.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Once in a while I get the odd email about "hurry up and book before these promos are gone!" and I get mailers for my MIL, but not me, at my house. AND I once got a magnet from my PCC (that I don't actually have).

It's all just random communication and some of it is actually past the date of the promotions LOL

Thank goodness I'm a Type A Planner and just research the crap out of anything I am buying/doing ;p

I'm 25 points away from being Platinum Plus and I'm happy as heck! I did notice that there are additions to the Platinum level....like "dinner for two at Cagney's or Le Bistro" AND "dinner for two at Moderno or La Cucina". Prior to the changes, we were offered only one dinner for two. Granted it's per stateroom now versus per Platinum cruiser, but I think this is definitely an added benefit!

With that being said, even if they took away all the free dinners, I'd still be happy with priority embarkation and disembarkation! ;)

And despite the constant threat of NCL boycotts over every little change on CC, I haven't noticed a decrease in passenger numbers or a shortage of return guests.
I don't think they would actually be that concerned about having fewer return guests. Why should they fight to keep a customer who threatens to boycott over a $5 bottle of wine, when they can be easily replaced by any one of 10 million first-time Chinese cruisers willing to pay 20% higher fares?

I don't think they would actually be that concerned about having fewer return guests. Why should they fight to keep a customer who threatens to boycott over a $5 bottle of wine, when they can be easily replaced by any one of 10 million first-time Chinese cruisers willing to pay 20% higher fares?

So do you think the Chinese are coming to fill the ships their on current itineraries or is NCL willing to move their entire fleet to China?

As with all changes life throws our way, some will benefit and some will not. For example, I am platinum plus and my DH is platinum. Before we would have had 2 dinners at LeBistro. Now we still only get 2 dinners (even though I am platinum plus) but we have more choices (minus 1 bottle of wine). It does not feel like an upgrade, more like a downgrade. Such is life.

On week 2 my DH had to return home and as Platinum Plus I got the same 2 dinners that we had gotten the week before. Go figure but that is the way it is.

As for some of the other options, we did get the water, several bottles left in our room but I don't really know if we got 2 or 3. We were never charged for any. I would have preferred smaller water bottles to take ashore but so be it.

Some of the other discounts are good, such as 25% off spa on port days. I did take advantage of that one.

I still miss my box of Godiva chocolates even though it got smaller and smaller each year. I never got any chocolate covered strawberries as I was in the shower when they tried to deliver them (per room steward). Never eat them anyway. The strawberries always look anemic - think SB if you have ever had them, they are wonderful.

Anyway, I am such a cheapie that a freebie is a freebie. I will take all I can get and not lose sleep over the changes.

I hear CAS is planning changes for 4/1 so who knows what that will do to me. Better I hope, but who knows. I won't quit sailing with NCL.

For example, I am platinum plus and my DH is platinum. Before we would have had 2 dinners at LeBistro. Now we still only get 2 dinners (even though I am platinum plus) but we have more choices (minus 1 bottle of wine).
On another thread someone reported that with a Platinum and a Platinum Plus in the same cabin, they received both sets of benefits (i.e. two dinners in the Platinum packet, and two more dinners in the Platinum Plus packet). I gather this was not your experience. :(