The long debated formal attire...

So I have made a few posts now about my upcoming first cruise. Well today I went out and purchased two suits which are off to be tailored. I have read plenty of people don't bother dressing up, but I thought I may as well since i rarely have an opportunity too. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it considering after the cruise they will sit in a closet for who knows how long. If I get the cruise bug and go again I suppose it's worth it. So I realize there are two formal nights on rci 7 night cruises. Also there's a bunch of speciality restaurants that look kind of fancy. I'm just wondering between the two formal nights and possibly going to something like wonderland I guess that gives me three opportunities to dress up. So let's say I get dressed for dinner and eat around 6 or 7, is it commonplace if I then wear the suit around until calling it a day and going to bed or do people change right after dinner? I just hope that it wasn't overkill and that I feel justified in having bought two suits. So basically I'm just putting what's on my mind out here to get some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not unusual to see people dressed up well after dinner. I've seen people (who I know were early dinner seating) in the disco who were dressed up at 12:30am. It's really whatever you're comfortable with and what you're doing after dinner.

My husband brings 1 suit with 2 different dress shirts and 2 different ties. We have done both - changed after dinner and other times we've stayed in our formal attire. Neither of us dress up very often so it's kind of nice to have a reason to dress up!

We have a 7 day cruise coming up with friends and have recommended my husband bring one jacket and change of pants & shirt for the two formal nights. Since we are casual 24/7 at home, we enjoy dressing up for dinner whether it is casual or formal. For us it does seem to make the evening more special, however we do change out to more casual wear afterwards.

So I have made a few posts now about my upcoming first cruise. Well today I went out and purchased two suits which are off to be tailored. I have read plenty of people don't bother dressing up, but I thought I may as well since i rarely have an opportunity too. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it considering after the cruise they will sit in a closet for who knows how long. If I get the cruise bug and go again I suppose it's worth it. So I realize there are two formal nights on rci 7 night cruises. Also there's a bunch of speciality restaurants that look kind of fancy. I'm just wondering between the two formal nights and possibly going to something like wonderland I guess that gives me three opportunities to dress up. So let's say I get dressed for dinner and eat around 6 or 7, is it commonplace if I then wear the suit around until calling it a day and going to bed or do people change right after dinner? I just hope that it wasn't overkill and that I feel justified in having bought two suits. So basically I'm just putting what's on my mind out here to get some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To actually answer your question and not interject opinion of whether or not you should bring 2 suites, dress up at all, etc. do as you wish. You will see people dressed formally all night and you'll see people dressed casually all night. You will not likely see people dressed up in specialty restaurants unless it's formal night. However if you want to wear a suit for a special dinner, that is totally up to you. We dress for formal night for the very reasons you cite. We do late seating so we don't change after. Enjoy your cruise. Dress as you wish. Take lot's of pictures. :cool:

I always change after dinner too. I remember one time a comedian made some comments towards my DW and I for wearing Canada tshirts on formal night. But of course we changed. I figure we have to be dressed well at work every week. After dinner we change back to regular clothes

Normally, we don't change after dinner. I rent a tux on-board so I get my monies worth. It comes with two shirts, shoes, and other options. Lightens the luggage load and I don't need to worry about pressing. It's in my cabin when I arrive and they pick it up the day after the last formal night.

Like others, I take one suit and two dress shirts and ties to match. If I go to the theatre after dinner, I will stay dressed. If I decide I want to rent out a bar stool for a few hours, I will change into something more comfortable. Typically the Captains Reception is one of the formal nights, so I will stay dressed for that, as it is a classy evening. To each their own.

Our kids barely make it through dinner with a tie, but for my husband and I it's kind of nice to stay dressed up and head out to one of the shows or a bar for the night. Our "formal" night dressing has been pared down though to dress pants with a shirt and tie for him, and a long dress and nice sandals for me. I love seeing the variety when people go "all in" for formal night -- wish they had a designated dining room for those who want a truly "formal" experience.

We change after dinner; however since this upcoming cruise we're on late dining - since nearly every port we have excursions all day - we'll just retire after dinner into our PJ's and hang out on our aft balcony looking at the moonlit med:D