Is Windjammer Really THAT bad?!?!

All I can say after reading these comments is I must not be a very discerning person. I can always find something in the WJ I like to eat, and often it's very good. Yes, if you go at peak times, it can be crowded, but that's true everywhere.

If it's busy, my first priority is to find my spot to eat. I'm not shy. If two people are sitting at a large table, I ask whether I/we can join them, and this usually works out -in fact, I've met some very nice people this way. Next, I get the beverage(s).

At lunch I always start with a big salad (helps me keep from overeating bad stuff). The salad offerings in the WJ are always better than the MDR if your goal is to concentrate on eating lots of veg. I want veg, not meat, sauce, condiments and so on. After filling up on veg, I go back for the next round.

Here is where the WJ shines, at lunch. I can ask for one small piece of meat at the carving station. I can have a few fries. Maybe a spoon of cooked veg in cheese sauce. One spoon of pasta...not too much of anything, but a little of all the things that appeal.

Same routine at breakfast. Eat a lof fruit, then a little of other things that appeal.

I love the WJ because it allows me to fill up on a lot of the stuff that is good for me, and then just eat small amounts of the things I crave. BTW, on the Radiance class, there is nothing that can compare to eating on the back open deck!

Just to extend my previous opinion, I do find the food to be ok. The single time I went to the WJ for lunch (on the Allure) there was a great variety and everything I tried was good.

However, the atmosphere was terrible. Too much people going around you. Too much noise (obviously due to the crowd). Too difficult to find a table. Too difficult to enjoy a conversation while having lunch. And, to make things worse, the PA announcement saying "please hurry up and go elsewhere so someone else can come in". All of that is what makes it a terrible venue IMHO. Not the food.

We were on the Allure last month; going again April 23rd. Had all our meals in Windjammer, other than a lunch or two in Park Cafe or breakfast in Wipeout. Pushing DH in wheelchair and this makes my life easier than bothering with a DR. Besides that, I'm picky eater so there's always something I see doing "show and tell." Food is just fine. No complaints.

When it is quiet the windjammer is great with a great selection of hot food,meats,fruits etc.

It is the frustration of getting a seat especially breakfast time which is why we get room service breakfast,and between 1-3 daily.

It is far superior to P&O buffet.

love sailing with RCCL

I have no problem with the food in the Windjammer. I have to admit that because of work I spend a ton of time in a Holiday Inn Express so any breakfast is an improvement! With that said, I avoided it for awhile, not because of the food, but because I had a horrible experience with another cruiser. I was waiting for my husband and after more than 10 minutes got up to get coffee. When I got back to my table some guy was sitting at it. I left my stuff on the table and he told me to collect my things and move. The Windjammer Staff had to come over and make him leave. It upset me so I did not even step foot in there for the rest of that cruise or the next.

I have no problem with the food in the Windjammer. I have to admit that because of work I spend a ton of time in a Holiday Inn Express so any breakfast is an improvement! With that said, I avoided it for awhile, not because of the food, but because I had a horrible experience with another cruiser. I was waiting for my husband and after more than 10 minutes got up to get coffee. When I got back to my table some guy was sitting at it. I left my stuff on the table and he told me to collect my things and move. The Windjammer Staff had to come over and make him leave. It upset me so I did not even step foot in there for the rest of that cruise or the next.

What a bully treating a lady like that,i personally would have made him move if i saw that.Disgraceful he should hang his head in shame but somehow i dont think his type will.

love sailing with RCCL

All I can say after reading these comments is I must not be a very discerning person. I can always find something in the WJ I like to eat, and often it's very good. Yes, if you go at peak times, it can be crowded, but that's true everywhere.

If it's busy, my first priority is to find my spot to eat. I'm not shy. If two people are sitting at a large table, I ask whether I/we can join them, and this usually works out -in fact, I've met some very nice people this way. Next, I get the beverage(s).

At lunch I always start with a big salad (helps me keep from overeating bad stuff). The salad offerings in the WJ are always better than the MDR if your goal is to concentrate on eating lots of veg. I want veg, not meat, sauce, condiments and so on. After filling up on veg, I go back for the next round.

Here is where the WJ shines, at lunch. I can ask for one small piece of meat at the carving station. I can have a few fries. Maybe a spoon of cooked veg in cheese sauce. One spoon of pasta...not too much of anything, but a little of all the things that appeal.

Same routine at breakfast. Eat a lof fruit, then a little of other things that appeal.

I love the WJ because it allows me to fill up on a lot of the stuff that is good for me, and then just eat small amounts of the things I crave. BTW, on the Radiance class, there is nothing that can compare to eating on the back open deck!

Agree with this. I hit the salad bar or fruit bar and then go for the protein. I'm not a fan of the WJ scrambled eggs either so I usually go fried. I was surprised at the improved hamburgers in Adventure's WJ a few weeks ago. They were actually Five Guys quality. We don't eat dinner there too often but I was surprised how busy they were compared to other ships we've sailed. The word must be out.

Just off the Freedom, never had an issue with WJ at all, at times, hard to find a table but one time they sat us in Giovanni's so the family could be together. Is everything 5 star, not but still has some great options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Windjammer is only very busy on embarkation day when everyone heads there as soon as they board the ship. On the Allure Of The Seas in November 2016 and January 2017 crew members stationed at the entrance to the Windjammer suggested that passengers could also go to the Park Cafe, Wipeout Cafe, Johnny Rockets, or the Soliarium Cafe if they didn't want to wait for a table. We waited less than five minutes for a table on both occasions. On the first day they also made accouncements in various languages that when you were finished having lunch please leave so other passengers could have a place to sit down and eat.

in two weeks we will be on our first cruise ever, the ship is the Explorer.

I suppose, that we will be in the WJ for most of the meals because the children like buffet.

What times are the 'peak times', at what times is the WJ not too crowded? Normaly we prefer early times like 6.00 p.m. for dinner.

WJ -- I like because they have better deserts (more choices) than the MDR. Mind you, I have only ater thre one or two times during my cruise so not sure how much they repeat but I'd rather eat at my own pace vs waiting to be served.

Not all WJ are the same, the Oasis class WJ is undersized for the size of the ship. It is laid out very differently than other WJ. Oasis class WJ also does not do cooked to order omelets in the morning, you can get those in the Wipeout Cafe or Johnny Rockets. Johnny Rockets is complimentary for breakfast but is for a fee at other times.

I have not sailed Allure yet, we sail in May, so I am happy to hear some positive posts about the WJ on Allure. We usually like going to the WJ on other ships, but after trying it multiple times on Oasis, we gave up and went to other venues.

We really enjoyed Wipeout Cafe for breakfast. They have a small buffet and you can order cooked to order fried eggs and omelets that are delivered to you outside at your table. We enjoyed sitting, watching the activity on the sports court while we ate.

We will try WJ on Allure, but are glad there are other alternatives too.

DH and I totally agree that the Wipeout Cafe is a good choice for breakfast. After a few days in the Windjammer on our Oasis cruise, we decided to try the Wipeout cafe. Ended up eating our breakfasts there for the remainder of our cruise. DH loved the made to order omelets. Finding a table was never a problem and you can't beat the scenery.

We avoid the WJ for breakfast and lunch. There are usually other options that are better as many have noted and not as crowded. We have had dinner in the WJ on quite a few occasions when we just didn't feel like dealing with the main dining room or were not really hungry. We've enjoyed the fresh Mongolian Grill stir fry or any meal that is freshly made to order for you. Some ships have the dessert Crepes made to order and those are delicious. You can top with chocolate, strawberries and a variety of things. You can find a nice quiet place to eat instead of the horrendous din in the MDR.

What I would recommend when you look for food in the WJ, stay away from things that are floating in some kind of white or brown sauce. I did get food poisoning from some kind of chicken floating in that sauce. Not fun.

Do look for fresh foods like salads, fruits, breads and sliced meats. Wash your hands if possible or use hand sanitizers. We bring them from home and keep in our pockets and use the most potent form.

PS I've seen the Captain having dinner there as well as top staff many times so if it's good enough for them, it's fine for me.

in two weeks we will be on our first cruise ever, the ship is the Explorer.

I suppose, that we will be in the WJ for most of the meals because the children like buffet.

What times are the 'peak times', at what times is the WJ not too crowded? Normaly we prefer early times like 6.00 p.m. for dinner.

The least crowded times are when they first open.

The Windjammer is overall very good, except breakfast is hit-or-miss and the WJ desserts are awful. I love the corned beef hash at breakfast (seems fresh made, not canned), but even before I had to go gluten-free I avoided the pancakes and french toast - they seem institutional and blah. I really enjoy the Indian dishes and other hot dishes at lunch and dinner. I was just on Enchantment last week and both WJ and MDR were top notch. My husband, who doesn't cruise as often as I do and didn't care for the Windjammer on our last cruise, said everything was much better this time. MDR is always a step above WJ to me, which is what I would expect for buffet vs. 3-course sit-down dinner. MDR on this last cruise was outstanding.

Do they have many GF option in WJ, especially Indian? If so, I'm super-excited to hear this, as my daughter has to eat GF and we are planning our dining strategies. TIA!

Allure opens for dinner at 5:45.

Omelets: Other than the MDR, you can only get your breakfast omelets at Wipeout. Windjammer does not do omelets.

I believe Johnny Rockets also offers omelets on Oasis class, no extra charge.

The Windjammer is only very busy on embarkation day when everyone heads there as soon as they board the ship.

I agree, it is also pretty busy when its time to get off the ship. It's actually pretty funny to watch. It's as if folks believe they will run out of food. Personally I like the WJ. Yes, the offerings can be different from ship to ship, but overall my experience has been pretty great. If I had one complaint it would be when the french toast gets dried out because of the heat lamps. But if that is my major complaint, then I can live with that! :)

We've done Indy, Adventure, Anthem and Oasis. The Oasis Class WJ is smaller than say Indy but with nearly double the passenger load. Yes there are other places to eat but I guess people like a Buffet as their first choice. We only used it a couple of times on our cruise last month but despite how busy it was the choice was good. The only thing I would say is that the options for lunch when you are in hot Caribbean weather can seem a bit hot and stodgy.

On the Oasis Class we much preferred Johnny Rockets, Park Cafe or Solarium Bistro for breakfast. Much more relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk