How is HAL different from Princess?

bamelin

There are many differences between Princess and HAL but IMHO only one truly significant difference between them - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is our hands-down choice.

Smooth sailing + + +

There are many differences between Princess and HAL but IMHO only one truly significant difference between them - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is our hands-down choice.

Smooth sailing + + +

That's really interesting. Something I didn't know about HAL :cool:

My 70 year old parents have sailed with HAL a few times in the last 2 years, after years sailing with MSC. They swear by HAL's room service and MDR service.

I've got a question, that I would rather ask here than start a new thread. Have any of you ever had a problem on Princess or HAL? If so, did the cruise line try to solve it, or compensate you for it?

I recently got a botched hair cut on the Carnival Pride, a trim down to my shoulder blades turned into an inch past my ears. To add insult, the stylist laughed and mocked me after she realized what she did. I was given a refund on the cut, and offered a scalp message (which i refused), which means we're suppose to be square. Even if you think that was is no big deal, I've heard far worse stories of negligence, even serious crime, without so much as a bottle of bubbly.

I'm not looking for freebies, this was the first time I complained about anything in 6 cruises. I just heard a story about a couple that could not use their toilet, for an entire cruise on Princess. They allegedly had to rely on public facilities, and were never reimbursed. Hopefully this is not normal, or present on HAL.

Only been on one cruise on each line, and I agree with several of the observations made so far.

One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned: some Princess ships have a tiered balcony set-up which results in there being cabins with uncovered balconies, partially covered balconies, and fully covered balconies, and, of course, balconies that either look directly down to the sea or directly down onto someone else's balcony. I am not aware of any HAL ships with tiered balconies.

In addition, as was said by other posters, one must book a mini-suite on Princess in order to get a loveseat or sofa. This did not used to be the case on other cruise lines, including HAL (I think). But it could be now that cruise lines have renamed the cabins with more than a desk chair and a side chair as "mini-suites." In Princess' favor, a mini-suite, if you choose to book one, is quite roomy, and offers a full-sized sofa, not just a loveseat. But I am pretty sure HAL's cabins and balconies are bigger than Princess' in equivalent categories.

We liked the MDR food and service much better on HAL than Princess (and incidentally, much better on HAL than Celebrity!) We preferred HAL's entertainment, especially the local band (steel drum group) that HAL picked up on one Caribbean island and disembarked at another, and the string quartet in the Explorer's lounge. We loved the bow lounge with singing guitarist on HAL -- much preferable to the Princess overhanging stern lounge which only has nightclub entertainment in the evenings.

Princess has afternoon tea every day -- that is fabulous! HAL's teas were wonderful, too, but were only on sea days.

Our HAL sailing had lots of two-for-one bar specials -- every day, in fact -- which we took advantage of. Princess didn't have quite as good drink specials.

We found the crew on HAL to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. On Princess the crew seemed surly.

Of course, everybody's experience differs, and every ship differs -- even every sailing differs! The "culture" on HAL suited us to a "T," and Princess was overall a bit of a disappointment. YMMV!

First about us we have 9 HAL and 8 Princess Cruises. We do like smaller ships <2500 passengers and HAL are all in that category. However, Princess 3000 passenger ships do not seem to be crowed.

The main difference is Hal is a little more slow paced on entertainment. This being said we are about to take our first HAL cruise that has BB King on it so this may change our view point.

We like both cruise lines and think you will enjoy either one.

Just got off of Westerdam & loved the BB King shows. There were 3 shows of 45 min most nights . Ours started at 845 then 945 & 1045. Sometimes we would go to the theater show & then swing by BB King

I've got a question, that I would rather ask here than start a new thread. Have any of you ever had a problem on Princess or HAL? If so, did the cruise line try to solve it, or compensate you for it?

I recently got a botched hair cut on the Carnival Pride, a trim down to my shoulder blades turned into an inch past my ears. To add insult, the stylist laughed and mocked me after she realized what she did. I was given a refund on the cut, and offered a scalp message (which i refused), which means we're suppose to be square. Even if you think that was is no big deal, I've heard far worse stories of negligence, even serious crime, without so much as a bottle of bubbly.

I'm not looking for freebies, this was the first time I complained about anything in 6 cruises. I just heard a story about a couple that could not use their toilet, for an entire cruise on Princess. They allegedly had to rely on public facilities, and were never reimbursed. Hopefully this is not normal, or present on HAL.

Last winter on the Regal Princess in the Caribbean, we encountered a series of "fails" on behalf of Princess. Once would have been OK, but 3 -4 within the first few days of the cruise and we had to politely complain. The Guest Service Manager could not have been more rude - to the point of calling me a liar to my face. If I could have left the ship in the middle of the cruise, I would have. Fast forward to this past summer. We booked a relatively last minute cruise on the Veendam Canada/New England route. Because we were limited in cabin selection we booked an oceanview underneath a "white space" on the deck plans - the galley. We were fully aware that we might hear some noise, primarily footsteps, but we weren't prepared for what I described as "a raging jackhammer over my bed" that woke me from a deep sleep at 1 a.m. We asked to change the cabin but there were none available. A few days later, after being awaken again two more times and complaining again, Guest Services called to offer us what I considered a generous amount of OBC. We were surprised

since we hadn't asked for anything other than to stop the noise or change our room. Since neither was possible, they offered the next best thing. And because of that, we booked another HAL cruise soon after we returned home.

But, I also agree that there is more entertainment taking place all the time on Princess. Musicians, comedians, hypnotists, etc. appear in lounges, etc. in-between main shows.

I give HAL a slight edge over Princess for food and service, although I find it really does vary from ship to ship. The one thing I really like about HAL is the timing of late seating dinner - 7:45 p.m. instead of 8:30 on Princess.

What the heck??? Sorry but a trim to your shoulder blades resulting in a cut an inch past your ears is a major screw up.

I've been a hairstylist for 32 yrs and a salon owner for the last 22 yrs. I would be livid if one of my stylists did this to one of our clients.

I'm sorry this happened to you because it's not something that will just grow out in a couple of months.

On our first cruise way back in the 90's, I had my hair done in an up do as a treat for formal night. I hated it. She did everything opposite of what I told her and I ended up taking it out and redoing it myself.

Some of it was a language barrier and her probably not understanding what I wanted...even though I loved the passenger's up do that had just left and told the stylist I wanted mine like hers.

Needless to say I avoid the salons at sea now.

You should have been given a bag full of hair products for your disappointment and because they didn't come close to giving you what you asked for....and I would have treated you to a dinner at Pinnacle grille with a bottle of wine.

That's the LEAST they could have done for chopping off your hair.

I've got a question, that I would rather ask here than start a new thread. Have any of you ever had a problem on Princess or HAL? If so, did the cruise line try to solve it, or compensate you for it? ...

... I just heard a story about a couple that could not use their toilet, for an entire cruise on Princess. They allegedly had to rely on public facilities, and were never reimbursed. Hopefully this is not normal, or present on HAL.

We had a problem with a shore excursion that did not deliver what was promised on a Princess cruise. I did not get satisfaction on the ship, but I did get even more than I hoped for after the cruise (50 percent back). We also received a free Ultimate Balcony Breakfast for a minor complaint on a different cruise.

As for the toilet problems, it's hard for me to believe that someone did not receive compensation for not having a working toilet for the entire cruise. We've experienced minor inconvenience of having ours out of commission for a couple of hours. On one HAL cruise, there was a major flooding--water gushing down a corridor and down a stairwell. Fortunately for us, it was not near our cabin.

The one thing I really like about HAL is the timing of late seating dinner - 7:45 p.m. instead of 8:30 on Princess.
I just checked our cruise cards for our HAL cruises. All of our second seating dining times were 8:00. Our Princess ones varied from 7:45 to 8:15. We have never had one as late as 8:30 (out of 16 cruises on Princess with second seating). The majority of the time, it's been 8:00.

What the heck??? Sorry but a trim to your shoulder blades resulting in a cut an inch past your ears is a major screw up.

I've been a hairstylist for 32 yrs and a salon owner for the last 22 yrs. I would be livid if one of my stylists did this to one of our clients.

I'm sorry this happened to you because it's not something that will just grow out in a couple of months.

On our first cruise way back in the 90's, I had my hair done in an up do as a treat for formal night. I hated it. She did everything opposite of what I told her and I ended up taking it out and redoing it myself.

Some of it was a language barrier and her probably not understanding what I wanted...even though I loved the passenger's up do that had just left and told the stylist I wanted mine like hers.

Needless to say I avoid the salons at sea now.

You should have been given a bag full of hair products for your disappointment and because they didn't come close to giving you what you asked for....and I would have treated you to a dinner at Pinnacle grille with a bottle of wine.

That's the LEAST they could have done for chopping off your hair.

Thank you! My stylist was British, and understood my request. She even claimed that she would cut my hair a bit longer to be on the safe side, because we could always cut it shorter if need be. She pulled it up, never double checked the length, and cut away. Afterwords she started giggling, "Oh... you can still have a little pony tail, if you just have to have one of these." Guest Service was not interested in getting involved in the situation, claiming it was up to the spa manager. The Spa manager asked me NOT to come up and show her my haircut, only over the phone. After 3.5 weeks, I can finally do a little pony tail, but half of it falls out within an hour...

I later met a guy who received a shaved from the same woman. It was done quickly, she left patches of hair, and he had to finish the job back in his cabin. He didn't want to complain, so I relayed the message to the spa manager. She was a bit aggressive, "Who his he? What's his name? I need his name! You tell him to talk to me. I can meet him around the corner if he's not comfortable. What's his name?"

Oh, so she can meet this guy, because she probably thinks I made up the story, but I don't are meet her myself...

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Our Fiji cruise on Sun Princess was one of the best that we have ever had on any cruise line, including Crystal. Food,service, entertainment, cabin were all first rate. Our Crown Princess cruise last month was not the same. Food was OK, service in the MDR poor to mediocre. It was as if we were on two different cruise lines.

I do not think this is any different than our varied experiences on any cruise line. The probability is extremely high that each cruise on the same cruise line will be different.

Very hard to compare cruise lines when they all seem to be going through change and through cost cutting/revenue enhancement activities.

Thank you! My stylist was British, and understood my request. She even claimed that she would cut my hair a bit longer to be on the safe side, because we could always cut it shorter if need be. She pulled it up, never double checked the length, and cut away. Afterwords she started giggling, "Oh... you can still have a little pony tail, if you just have to have one of these." Guest Service was not interested in getting involved in the situation, claiming it was up to the spa manager. The Spa manager asked me NOT to come up and show her my haircut, only over the phone. After 3.5 weeks, I can finally do a little pony tail, but half of it falls out within an hour...

I later met a guy who received a shaved from the same woman. It was done quickly, she left patches of hair, and he had to finish the job back in his cabin. He didn't want to complain, so I relayed the message to the spa manager. She was a bit aggressive, "Who his he? What's his name? I need his name! You tell him to talk to me. I can meet him around the corner if he's not comfortable. What's his name?"

Oh, so she can meet this guy, because she probably thinks I made up the story, but I don't are meet her myself...

That is terrible customer service. It sounds like maybe the stylist didn't have much experience, which ok we all have to start somewhere but she should be supervised and her work should be checked by a superior.

That is terrible customer service. It sounds like maybe the stylist didn't have much experience, which ok we all have to start somewhere but she should be supervised and her work should be checked by a superior.

Well, I figured that they can be financially punished in more ways than them making it right. I cancelled all my ship board excursions remaining (blaming it on an art purchase), cancelled that art purchase, and told up to 25% of the passengers online, what took place. The 2nd week, we spent no more than $50 total, on beverages and misc. We booked a 4 day Baja cruise after return home, to cash out a booking credit and gift cards, ending obligations. I can't say that we'll never sail Carnival again after, we're itinerary people first and foremost, but it may not be often. Baja fits into that, so it's a win-win.

Anyways, we really love Celebrity, and are looking forward to trying Holland America in a couple years. It's nice to know that customer service is a top priority. This thread has been a helpful read. ;)

are looking forward to trying Holland America in a couple years. It's nice to know that customer service is a top priority.
You'd never guess it if you spent any time reading the threads on the Holland America forum.

We regularly cruise HAL, Princess and Celebrity (hundreds of days with each line) and find that while they are all in a similar class, there are notable differences. But in order to give a decent comparison it really helps to know the specific ships or class of ships of each line. If we had to sum up in one sentence, HAL cruises are more "laid back" then Princess cruises. Toss Celebrity in the mix and it becomes a lot of fun to compare. We will cruise any of these lines...with the decision generally made on itinerary. For the current year we only have 38 days booked on HAL and 21 days on Celebrity. Nothing yet on Princess....but the year is young and we love booking last minute deals.

Hank

We regularly cruise HAL, Princess and Celebrity (hundreds of days with each line) and find that while they are all in a similar class, there are notable differences. But in order to give a decent comparison it really helps to know the specific ships or class of ships of each line. If we had to sum up in one sentence, HAL cruises are more "laid back" then Princess cruises. Toss Celebrity in the mix and it becomes a lot of fun to compare. We will cruise any of these lines...with the decision generally made on itinerary. For the current year we only have 38 days booked on HAL and 21 days on Celebrity. Nothing yet on Princess....but the year is young and we love booking last minute deals.

Prior to Koningsdam's arrival, I had cruised the newest ship classes on those 3 lines (Nieuw Amsterdam, Regal Princess, and a couple Solstice Class ships). I'd say they are VERY different. I agree they're in the same class, meaning category, but I think they are totally different cruise experiences. Celebrity has gone for the contemporary, chic feel, HAL remains more traditional and classic, and Princess, well, I'm not sure what Princess' angle is. Either way, you KNOW you're on different ships.

• 2 months later...

I just did a quick summing of suites with 'full suite' privileges on the Eurodam and Royal Princess. I was surprised by the significant difference. HAL has more then double the number of 'full suites' than Princess. Taking into account the Royal Princess is larger. We always sail Neptune Suites on HAL. We have a Window Suite on the Caribbean Princess this summer. For those that have sailed 'full suites' on HAL and Princess how has the experience compared.

Dennis

We are happy to cruise on HAL, Princess, or Celebrity. We too find the largest difference to be the ships. Cruise line in not a big consideration for us. We don't have a cruise home. We select on the basis of ship, itinerary, and price. Frequently inside the final payment window.

When it comes down to a draw, DW may decide or we assess the perks that are provided given our preferences. This is seldom the case. The last few cruises had similar if not identical itineraries and the ships were equal for our tastes. The price deltas were 25 percent plus for similar cabins so it was decided on this basis.

The staff is out of the world on Holland America

Agree :). But we have also had outstanding staff on both Celebrity and Princess. In fact, in over 100 cruises on many lines we have have experienced so many outstanding staff...that anything less is really a surprise. If you were enough of a masochist to read my many posts you would likely not find a single post that was crticial of the staff on any cruise. For us, one treat of any cruise is interacting with the staff.

Hank

There are differences and similarities between any two lines - what makes them significant is how the individual rates them. I am not as interested in energetic entertainment as I am in cheerful service - thus I prefer HAL to NCL. I am not as interested in "wow factor" as I am in traditional atmosphere - thus I prefer HAL to Royal Caribbean.

The differences between lines really depend more upon the passenger's attitude.