Can I pack a small travel steamer?

6 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

He explains it well enough to maybe convince people not to smuggle banned electric appliances. 

One of the captains once told us that fire was his worst fear on a ship.  More so than any kind of bad weather or mechanical issues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

One of the captains once told us that fire was his worst fear on a ship.  More so than any kind of bad weather or mechanical issues.

I believe that. That's why smokers need to only smoke in the designated smoking areas and everyone needs to read and adhere to the prohibited items list. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, micmacmissy said:

It's a little handheld one.

Never mind smuggling alcohol- I will happily pay a huge markup on that. But I DO want to get my steamer onboard! :evilsmile:

Any suggestions for a person with easily wrinkled formal night clothes???

First the answer is yes you can pack it. It is allowed. NO.  It is a item they confiscate. YES! There is a spray to remove wrinkles. Get it instead. Downy Wrinkle Releaser Spray,

On 4/4/2017 at 8:55 AM, oneputt18 said:

Our Rowenta looks like a hair dryer

Wondering why people feel they are so special and entitled that they must figure out ways to circumvent rules that are clearly in place for safety reasons. 

• Like 1

I have always brought a hand held steamer, if its plastic its allowed if its metal they hold it in the naughty room. I always have it in my checked luggage. Only once was I called down there and when they saw it they said oh no problem!

1 hour ago, Tropical PJ said:

I have always brought a hand held steamer, if its plastic its allowed if its metal they hold it in the naughty room. I always have it in my checked luggage. Only once was I called down there and when they saw it they said oh no problem!

No.

Not allowed.

Not permitted.

It's on the list of prohibited items.

The list of prohibited items is on Royal Caribbean's website.

The material from which it is made makes NO difference.

If you "got it on" before, it was a long time ago.  I simply DO NOT BELIEVE that anyone on Royal  Caribbean told you  "Oh, no problem."  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Hello Rob (I'm from Canada too)!

We brought this on our cruise, but it was in 2011.  Is this similar to what you have?

tobi-portable-handheld-travel-steamer-iron-500x500.jpg

Nope ours is/was an Italsteam,  after 2 years still take it even though I know it's a no no

Why in this day and age do you own and pack clothes that wrinkle?  I donated all of my clothes that wrinkle to charity years ago and bought clothes that are made to wash and dry.  I pack them for travel, take them out had hang them as soon as possible, and enjoy my cruise or land trip.  Life is much to short to iron or steam.  Donate those wrinkled clothes and free yourself to enjoy.

• Like 2

Think about this.

It is prohibited.

But you decide to try it, and you get one on board.

And it fails and starts a major fire.  The fire investigation finds that the source of the fire was your cabin, and they find the remains of the steamer.

Think their might be lawsuits?  From the cruise line?  From the other passengers?  From the crew?

Or even without that, people die, and you know were responsible.  Do you want to live with that?

Is it really worth it.

I work in the safety and occupational health profession.  The rules and regulations are not to make your life difficult.  EVERYONE OF THEM IS WRITTEN IN BLOOD.  Same with the fire regulations.   They all result from mishaps where people are injured or killed.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, micmacmissy said:

It's a little handheld one.

Never mind smuggling alcohol- I will happily pay a huge markup on that. But I DO want to get my steamer onboard! :evilsmile:

Any suggestions for a person with easily wrinkled formal night clothes???

Pack-it folders.

Rolling the clothes

Downy Wrinkle Release, or make your own, Spray bottle, water, and a bit of fabric softener.

Buy different clothes.  Either ones that don't hold wrinkles, or ones that look wrinkled all the time.

13 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

Nope ours is/was an Italsteam,  after 2 years still take it even though I know it's a no no

Oh, I think I've seen them, they look like a mini iron?

Do you keep yours in the package or on it's own when you pack it?

Do you keep it in your luggage or carry on?

Thanks!

I went on the Oasis in January and brought one and it was not taken away. With that said, I DID NOT know it was a banned item. I will not be bringing it on my next cruise in September. I will just hang my "wrinkled" clothes in the shower and hope for the best!

On 4/4/2017 at 5:42 AM, micmacmissy said:

Well we don't post on Cruise Critic without expecting some heat, do we? :rolleyes:

Not only do I sometimes run the shower hot to get out wrinkles, I also request fresh towels every day on vacation! :eek:

I love having fresh towels every day while on vacation!  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gerif said:

Wondering why people feel they are so special and entitled that they must figure out ways to circumvent rules that are clearly in place for safety reasons. 

Probably because they brought a steamer and there was no fire last time, they use one everywhere else and haven't caused a fire.

Part of the issue is the over written safety instructions we get with every electronics device these days, ones I take for granted like don't use  the toaster in the bathtub.  Common sense to me that should be understood.

The other issue is the ship looks like home but its different with different issues (can't run outside if a fire starts, harder to grab an extinguisher or hose to stop a small fire). The same steamer could cause the same fire at home. Some of the same precautions need to be taken.

I have had a fire at my business, someone left a bathroom fan running, it froze after a few hours, it did about 350K in damage 24  years ago, mostly in "soft costs". The sprinkler system dumped 20,000 gallons of water on our wood products. The actual fire damage was minimal, the water damage was large, and had the fire spread it could have exploded the building as we had highly flammable coatings at the time.

I will never forget the next morning the insurance adjuster was looking at a fax machine with a gallon of water in it and I told the adjuster it needed to be cleaned and probably would need to be replaced, he said I should plug it in and try it before spending the money. I told him he was welcome to plug it in but I wasn't going to.

Go back 40 years ago to the MGM fire in Las Vegas ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_Grand_fire  ), that is when fire codes started to get more serious, after 85 people lost their lives, codes are based on experience, created because of loss of life. I was building 7 office buildings right after that and we had to change every building based on new fire codes.

Sometimes we really don't know better, even though we think we do. 

some cruise fires http://shipdetective.com/advice/safety/fires.htm

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The heck with hyperlinks.

Some people need to have their noses rubbed in it.

Image result for star princess fire

everyone noticed how the one cabin had such nicely steamed clothes as they gt on the lifeboats.

If it had started two or three decks lower they might of lost some life boats.