A Few More Cut-backs!

jelayne

One item I have never found in my Concierge class cabin, but also never asked for as it was not required, is the "extra handheld hair dryer" Has anyone had one of these in their CC cabin? If so, does it still have the annoying on switch that needs to be held down constantly when in use? If it has a 'normal' switch I think I may request one on my upcoming cruise to give my fingers a rest.

There is no other hair dryer other than the hold down button type. On a cruise in concierge class on Connie last year I received an in-cruise comment card. On the section asking what X could do to make my cruise better I noted that the hold-down button hair dryer was difficult to use for people with hand dexterity issues and for people with long or thick hair. Not a biggie, I had brought my own. The next evening while getting ready for dinner I received a call from the concierge. She had read my comment, and searched around the ship to check if there were any other type of dryer available including in the suites, there wasn't. She then offered me the use of her personal hairdryer for the remainder of the cruise! I was blown away. I thanked her gratefully, but explained that I had my own. I explained that I had only made a suggestion that I felt would benefit many guests.

But complaining about the carmel on top of a coffee drink is like complaining about the size of the olives in a martini!

It is a "Carmel" macchiato eliminating the Carmel on the top changes the flavor.

We had it in our Concierge Class on Silhouette during Easter week. We were in an aft cabin and it was tucked away in one of the drawers.

I looked everywhere but could never find the extra one when in Concierge class. At least I know they exist now :). Thanks. Was it the same style on/off switch??

Martini olives!

I do want to complain about the olives. On the Equinox (B2B) in February, they ran out of bar olives and started using frozen salad olives.

It was a wonderful pair of cruises and we were in Aqua prior to the new menu with the worn out one, and until mentioned there were no complaints.

We love cruising, and as others have stated "no such thing as a bad cruise" just some are better than others.

We"re on the Equinox next week and will see if there are any noticeable changes.

Hal

The only hair dryer we have found in the past few years in concierge/aqua/balcony rooms is the one in the drawer at the desk. I think the reference to 2 was back when they had wall mounted hair dryers in the bathrooms.

I think with some of the trival things I see folks having an issue with, all I can figure out is that they are just looking for things to be wrong. It is the same with folks that comment on a chip of paint here or a cracked tile there or dust above a light fixture or the size of a cup, etc....who spends their vacation looking for things that are wrong, instead of enjoying their cruise.

It's not the one or two things that matter. They are trivial. But it's when they start adding up in a long line of very minor things that you see a pattern. Thus it's not any one thing but a combination of things that matters.

If they don't matter to you or you don't see that; all the better. The bean counters were right about all those things not affecting their top line while enlarging their bottom line. As a shareholder that makes me happy.

rose%20colored%20glasses.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Agree. Sorry, I don't remember card holders. What the heck is that for?

I probably have a 1/2 dozen credit card holders from over the years.....what are they for? They are for holding credit cards,

moreover, they are really good for holding your S&S card (that is what they are really for). Mine are blue and have an X

embossed on it....it is a fake leather.......Plastic and leather = Pleather.

If they don't matter to you or you don't see that; all the better. The bean counters were right about all those things not affecting their top line.

No, trival things don't bother me, because I'm there to enjoy my cruise, not run around scrutinizing the entire ship just looking for issues like a chip of paint or broken tile. If that is how you want to spend your vacation, enjoy!

The only hair dryer we have found in the past few years in concierge/aqua/balcony rooms is the one in the drawer at the desk. I think the reference to 2 was back when they had wall mounted hair dryers in the bathrooms.

As I said, I was not too concerned about the omission, but it is still listed as an extra amenity in Concierge class the 2017/18 brochure I have.

In my opinion, with the prices so high now I think they should be adding to the cruising experience rather than cutting back :(

Re Hank's comment on single stewards instead of pairs--

Noticed this last fall, and asked our steward about it. She said that she thought it worked better for her--said she always had to check the work of the assistant because she was responsible. Whether all the assistants got bumped up in pay grade, have no idea.

On recent transAtlantic, we did note that quite a few folks didn't get out of their rooms until almost noon, which meant that the stewards had to work later than normal. Our kids were guilty of that for a day or so, until we pointed it out to them .

r

Has anyone recieved the sparkling wine lately?

We got ours on our early April sailing on the Reflection. I was in a concierge cabin and attendant asked when we wanted it.

We also got the the nightly chocolates and a plastic type cardholder along with the "enhanced tote bag"

We got them on both legs of a B2B we did on the Silhouette this past December. The cabin steward exchanged them for us and we got a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine. We aren't wine drinkers so we brought them home for our son and daughter in law. When we asked them how it was, they told us not to do it again, UGH.

We were in AQ on Equinox in December and had everything from the chocolates to the card holder, slippers and a tote. We had paper cups in OV and the same during our March sailing.

Maybe, on your sailing, Equinox didn't get full supply of items needed.

For some people, I'm one of them, I expect that things will be as "advertised" or an explanation will be made. When a menu says the salad comes with sherry vinaigrette, I expect sherry vinaigrette to be available. It never is. Now it is a sort of joke. I wish they would just change it on the menus. My supposition is that The exec chef who designed the menus thinks the salad should be served w sherry vinaigrette but the ship's chef saves money by cutting it out perhaps he thinks no one will notice. I always notice because I make it at home and like it. It is a special treat.

I want the description on the menu to be what is served, or I want the waiter to say "we are out of the xxxx that is described but we are substituting zzzz". Then I can decide. I hope to enjoy food I don't make at home. Sauces that are too complex or have too many unusual ingredients to make. I like the vinegary mint sauce served in England with lamb. I don't bother to have it at home because no one else enjoys it. I always hope for it.

So forgive us, I suspect it is some form of OCD. Or we are all just jerks. I still enjoy the cruise but I do notice these little dings.

Beth

...But I feel sorry for the first time Celebrity cruisers who are probably unaware of the little niceties that they are missing out on and may never know unless it comes up in conversation or they read a forum such as this.

It should not be that difficult for stewards to have a check list of what should be in each cabin category and ensure there is uniformity. If it is to do with cruise wide cut backs surely it would be the same for everyone not just hit and miss. So is it more a problem with stewards? I know that there is now only one per cabin rather than also having an assistant.

I agree 100%!

Our first Celebrity Cruise is coming up in a couple weeks and would like to experience the difference these little "extras" can make in Concierge Class that we have not experienced on other lines.

If they are missing, that would be a bad first impression. :eek:

I agree 100%!

Our first Celebrity Cruise is coming up in a couple weeks and would like to experience the difference these little "extras" can make in Concierge Class that we have not experienced on other lines.

If they are missing, that would be a bad first impression. :eek:

The majority has said that they got all the items, so the chances of them being in your cabin when you arrive is very good. If you don't see something, just ask for it and I would bet they will accomodate you.

Also, don't forget that they open the MDR for Concierge Class for lunch on embarkation day. The menu is very small; they had only one lamb dish and one fish dish as entrees. I only had dessert, picky eather, and the chocolate cake was awesome.

The majority has said that they got all the items, so the chances of them being in your cabin when you arrive is very good. If you don't see something, just ask for it and I would bet they will accomodate you.

Also, don't forget that they open the MDR for Concierge Class for lunch on embarkation day. The menu is very small; they had only one lamb dish and one fish dish as entrees. I only had dessert, picky eather, and the chocolate cake was awesome.

WOW! You mean you actually get a free lunch (in the MDR)? Sounds like a wonderful perk! NOT. I seem to recall that cruises already include breakfast, lunch and dinner in the cruise fare. It has been Celebrity's choice (and we think its a bad choice) not to normally serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation days. So now, they are simply offering a truncated MDR menu to a few....who pay a premium. What bothers me is that that we are becoming a little like Pavlov's dog. They take things away.....and them give them back for a price...and we are supposed to be grateful.

Hank

WOW! You mean you actually get a free lunch (in the MDR)? Sounds like a wonderful perk! NOT. I seem to recall that cruises already include breakfast, lunch and dinner in the cruise fare. It has been Celebrity's choice (and we think its a bad choice) not to normally serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation days. So now, they are simply offering a truncated MDR menu to a few....who pay a premium. What bothers me is that that we are becoming a little like Pavlov's dog. They take things away.....and them give them back for a price...and we are supposed to be grateful.

Hank

Where did I use the word free, I just said a dining room was open for us. Well, if one can afford to cruise in a Concierge Class cabin, it is a nice perk not having to fight the crowds in the buffet on embarkation day.

I'm surprised that you sail on Celebrity since you seem to hate their business model so much.

This post was meant to slam Celebrity and nothing else. Your title and original post was about but backs. Then you state you asked and were given card holder, even though your original post said attendance said they pretty much stopped given them and you also state you never asked for wine, even though in past attendant brought to you when you wanted. Now everyone is piling on about cuts, except the people that have recently cruised.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hank

Honestly don't know why you cruise X!. They seem to anger you often. Certainly there are others more to your liking. They don't serve lunch on embarkation day in the MDR for a simple reason. They do a thorough cleaning of a very large room to turn it over after for a new cruise. We always go to the MDR to check on our dining requests as soon as we board for many years and there has been a scurry of cleaning activity. Now they decide to set off a small section for concierge class guests lunch. Unlike a DOG I find it a pleasure not to have to deal with juggling carry-on luggage while hunting for a table in a crowded OVC. I am paying no more for concierge class than I did previously, the incremental difference is the same. I don't HAVE to eat lunch in the MDR, but it's nice to have the choice. And last I checked I saw no DOG BONES..

Re Hank's comment on single stewards instead of pairs--

Noticed this last fall, and asked our steward about it. She said that she thought it worked better for her--said she always had to check the work of the assistant because she was responsible. Whether all the assistants got bumped up in pay grade, have no idea.

On recent transAtlantic, we did note that quite a few folks didn't get out of their rooms until almost noon, which meant that the stewards had to work later than normal. Our kids were guilty of that for a day or so, until we pointed it out to them .

I asked our attendant as well. He said they now get the pay the assistant used to get - fair enough, given they now do the work the assistant did. However, the amount of work they have to do is massive and he often had to work through lunch, dinner and so on to get through it. He was always pleasant and willing to do what needed to be, but equally I could see things were rushed as he was stretched too much.

It's odd that Celebrity think that the work which needed to be done for the past almost 20 years of these ships is suddenly almost halved to enable one person to do it all.

Honestly don't know why you cruise X!. They seem to anger you often. Certainly there are others more to your liking. They don't serve lunch on embarkation day in the MDR for a simple reason. They do a thorough cleaning of a very large room to turn it over after for a new cruise. We always go to the MDR to check on our dining requests as soon as we board for many years and there has been a scurry of cleaning activity. Now they decide to set off a small section for concierge class guests lunch. Unlike a DOG I find it a pleasure not to have to deal with juggling carry-on luggage while hunting for a table in a crowded OVC. I am paying no more for concierge class than I did previously, the incremental difference is the same. I don't HAVE to eat lunch in the MDR, but it's nice to have the choice. And last I checked I saw no DOG BONES..

Its kind of interesting that Celebrity has all these issues on turn around days. Consider HAL (a competitor) and their turn around days. Passengers may stay in their cabins until their time to disembark, There is room service breakfast on that last morning...for those that desire that service. And at lunch time, the MDR is open (along with the Lido). Yet somehow, they manage to clean their ships and make it work. We do not think that HAL is perfect (far from it)....but they are able to handle turn around days without substantially cutting services. Now I do agree with you that juggling luggage on Celebrity embarkation days can be a pain. The norm on Celebrity is not to allow passengers to access their cabins until at least 1pm. So, you have several thousand passengers walking around the ship and dragging their carry-on luggage (with others trying not to trip over the dragging straps). You go to the Lido and many seats are taken up by luggage! But again, some of their competitors do not seem to have that issue. If we board on several other cruise lines we can immediately go to our cabin to drop our luggage and lock our valuables in the safe. I guess my question is that if other lines can handle this turn-around day without all the hassles, why not Celebrity? DW and I are very familiar with the Celebrity system (we have been Elite Plus for some time). We know how to play the game. although that has recently been made more difficult since they got rid of the Cafe on 5 (our go to place for that first lunch). But having spent many years of our life on cruise ships we do roll with the waves and do quite fine. But that does not mean they cannot improve their system. Just because we still enjoy Celebrity....does not mean we will become "cheerleaders" for the things they do that need improvement.

Hank

Its kind of interesting that Celebrity has all these issues on turn around days. Consider HAL (a competitor) and their turn around days. Passengers may stay in their cabins until their time to disembark, There is room service breakfast on that last morning...for those that desire that service. And at lunch time, the MDR is open (along with the Lido). Yet somehow, they manage to clean their ships and make it work. We do not think that HAL is perfect (far from it)....but they are able to handle turn around days without substantially cutting services. Now I do agree with you that juggling luggage on Celebrity embarkation days can be a pain. The norm on Celebrity is not to allow passengers to access their cabins until at least 1pm. So, you have several thousand passengers walking around the ship and dragging their carry-on luggage (with others trying not to trip over the dragging straps). You go to the Lido and many seats are taken up by luggage! But again, some of their competitors do not seem to have that issue. If we board on several other cruise lines we can immediately go to our cabin to drop our luggage and lock our valuables in the safe. I guess my question is that if other lines can handle this turn-around day without all the hassles, why not Celebrity? DW and I are very familiar with the Celebrity system (we have been Elite Plus for some time). We know how to play the game. although that has recently been made more difficult since they got rid of the Cafe on 5 (our go to place for that first lunch). But having spent many years of our life on cruise ships we do roll with the waves and do quite fine. But that does not mean they cannot improve their system. Just because we still enjoy Celebrity....does not mean we will become "cheerleaders" for the things they do that need improvement.

Hank

Why not choose those other lines? If perceived cuts were making me as unhappy as some on here seem, I'd choose another cruise line. I'll cast my vote with my booking $. If I don't like a cruise line's changes, I'll move on. I guess I don't get the negative posting. If that makes me a cheerleader, oh well. So far those who don't get the negatives on this thread have been called dogs and cheerleaders. What next? I think everyone has their deal breakers. Mine is not a pillow chocolate or a seapass card holder but for others it is. I just wouldn't waste my time telling others that it's so important that they should have the same limits as I. Certainly I wouldn't complain about so many things and continue to cruise on that cruise line. If I were so unhappy, I'd make my booking elsewhere and enjoy my good fortune to be able to do so.