A Few More Cut-backs!

jelayne

You never get anything free on a cruise. If you eat it, you have paid for it. There is no free lunch.
When people are saying "free" they mean they are not paying extra for the meal, as they would with a specialty restaurant. Everyone is smart enough to know that they paid for their cabin, their meals (unless they eat in pay venues), etc. with their cruise fare. Edited by NLH Arizona

No - there is a phrase "deep-six"

This phrase is derived from the noun “deep six,” meaning burial at sea and referring to the depth of water necessary for such a burial. The term was later used as slang for a grave (customarily six feet underground) and, by extension, as a verb meaning “to kill.”

86 something - is complicated but seems to have come from the restaurant trade and applies to refusing to serve someone. I thought it was a newspaper term referring to the last line of a teletype article but I didn't see that definition, so likely I am mistaken.

Beth

When a restaurant uses the term 86'd, it means Restaurant industry jargon for an item that has been removed, temporarily from the menu and is no longer available to be sold or served. Usually for the reason that the supply of said item has run out.

I used the term Deep 6'd because, as you read in the definition I posted, the cookies were "thrown overboard" so to speak, never to come back. Or as you put it, killed. Had i used the term 86'd regarding both of those cookies, they would return the next day when they were made again. That's not the case though.

The term you're thinking of regarding a news story was when we used typewriters. It was "-30-" which indicated that was the end of the story. The hyphens in front and back were part of the signature.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The Constellation is the only ship that is scheduled for dry dock for the rest of this year. Maybe people should wait for feedback from those sailing on her to see if is worth the price (yeah, some don't want to hear that!).

This may also be a test for them. If no one is buying them, then they will go back to the Mast Grill on the ship as they found out on RC when people didn't like dynamic dinning. They have to try new and innovative things, even if it costs. Some people do get tired of the same old menu, same thing on every ship. Some people don't like change and some companies get stuck in a rut if they provide the same thing year end and year out. Besides, the "M" class ships do have a grill area near the back patio in the Ocean View. Maybe they will grill those hamburger and hot dogs there. They grill chicken and fish there.

Can't please everyone, you win some you lose some.

We have 3 cruises booked which will probably be our last. Not the cruise line we have experienced in the past. The venues we enjoyed are gone or will be removed. Unless our next cruise excels

we may kiss X good bye. We feel for the employees who seem to work to please the people who cruise while the Queen sits on her throne. When will new items be added to the specialty restaurant? Not $10 hamburger. I guess X wants only new people not us veterans. The value of X has not increased while the prices have increased. Missing the chocolates, animal towels or Seapass holders are not critical to us. We have many unused X bags. I expect the X loyalist to flame me.

I just had to cancel a celebrity cruise we could not go that week and just booked a Viking cruise. Costs a little more than celebrity but a lot more is included and l lot less extra charges.

We have 3 cruises booked which will probably be our last. Not the cruise line we have experienced in the past. The venues we enjoyed are gone or will be removed. Unless our next cruise excels

we may kiss X good bye. We feel for the employees who seem to work to please the people who cruise while the Queen sits on her throne. When will new items be added to the specialty restaurant? Not $10 hamburger. I guess X wants only new people not us veterans. The value of X has not increased while the prices have increased. Missing the chocolates, animal towels or Seapass holders are not critical to us. We have many unused X bags. I expect the X loyalist to flame me.

I've been on the soapbox for quite some time saying that Celebrity has indeed changed focus from the loyal past cruiser to the high margin cruiser. Suite passengers get one experience, non Suite passengers get another. Very sorry to see you and other frequent past passengers deciding to leave Celebrity because of their refusal to pay higher prices or their less than satisfying experience due to corporate philosophy. I don't blame the CEO, who is just doing what she was hired to do: Increase profit margins and the bottom line. She has most certainly done this while maintaining full bookings on most cruises.former CEO shortly before he left Celebrity predicted the higher prices we are now seeing. Market conditions determine price and at least now they are favorable to the cruise industry. One can expect more bottom line driven decisions until market conditions dictate change.

I just had to cancel a celebrity cruise we could not go that week and just booked a Viking cruise. Costs a little more than celebrity but a lot more is included and l lot less extra charges.

I'd love to try Viking but we have to wait until the kids don't want to sail with us. Please do write a review after your cruise ;).

The Constellation is the only ship that is scheduled for dry dock for the rest of this year. Maybe people should wait for feedback from those sailing on her to see if is worth the price (yeah, some don't want to hear that!).

This may also be a test for them. If no one is buying them, then they will go back to the Mast Grill on the ship as they found out on RC when people didn't like dynamic dinning. They have to try new and innovative things, even if it costs. Some people do get tired of the same old menu, same thing on every ship. Some people don't like change and some companies get stuck in a rut if they provide the same thing year end and year out. Besides, the "M" class ships do have a grill area near the back patio in the Ocean View. Maybe they will grill those hamburger and hot dogs there. They grill chicken and fish there.

Can't please everyone, you win some you lose some.

We would pay extra for B on 5 a few times per cruise but they pulled that for the sushi spot and then took most non sushi items off..leaving us out.

AQ spa cafe is good if hanging out in the Solarium, but it has become intolerably crowded..lines start early for the grilled lunch specials...very few seats as card players use the tables.

Paying $20 for 2 for a grilled burger and fries out at the pool is a big NO...on gen principle. If dh wants 2 burgers or a hot dog.,even more $$ for something that should be included in our cruise fare.

They are slowly losing the loyal cruisers who still buy real jewelry, designer bags in the shops , good wine and spend at the spa. The ambiance is turning into a neighborhood bar at sea.....great for some but not us!

Cutbacks sounds like a Hiking Trail..

Are youall Shareholders too? RCL :NYSE is a nice common stock.

Shareholders do , ( are supposed) recieve a Shareholder benefit of OBC.

Yet kinda like that Nickel and Dime line that says "FREE Everthing" and charges more for those FrEE things .

RCL :NYSE is the parent of Celbrity and before they got taken over Celebrity was the Top Cruise line in Culinary sea Cuisine..even having Proffessional Wait Staffs.

Now thjey do not want to supply the what was normal Shareholder benefit unless you Book with them at FULL Fare!

Do pay MSRP for your new vehicles/?\

Now abaord $20.00 hambyrgers sound like a Professional Basebal or Football Game.. and look how UnCrowded the stands/seaats are.. Gate Reciepts used to be a major profit maker..

I guess I'm just scum since I dine at the specialty restaurants several times per cruise spend time at the Martini Bar,take excursions and purchase Items from the shops. I treat all employees with respect. I do not smooze with the officers and find the Senior Officer's hour and the elite cocktail hour a bore. As someone so eloquently stated I guess my 2 cruises a year are of no value to the Queen since I am not in a suite.

Did Reflection this past Feb 2017. X has and is going down hill. Was it a bad cruise? No, however, after cruising X for years (Elite +), we see too many changes that are costing much more.

We have tried MSC (Divina) and NCL (Escape) this year. MSC has some of the most elegant ships (Divina.) Since we are Elite+, we get the Black Card status on MSC which is tops. Two free meals each in their Specialty Restaurants which would cost us $200 on X. That is just one example of what the other cruise lines are doing.

So, we have booked MSC, NCL and RCI for the remainder of the year.

May go back on X in the future when they settle down on taking things away from guests.

JMHO!

I guess I'm just scum since I dine at the specialty restaurants several times per cruise spend time at the Martini Bar,take excursions and purchase Items from the shops. I treat all employees with respect. I do not smooze with the officers and find the Senior Officer's hour and the elite cocktail hour a bore. As someone so eloquently stated I guess my 2 cruises a year are of no value to the Queen since I am not in a suite.

That's a pretty good summary of today's reality.... Actually, I'm not sure it's really that bad, but Celebrity has made a significant and successful effort to make us feel that we aren't important even though we're always in a 1A-A1 cabin (and we're elite plus so we've obviously sailed with them quite a bit).

I kind of liked the good ole days when everyone was an equal once they left their cabin.

Now you understand correctly. What took you so long? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe even if you are Elite, Diamond or Diamond+ on RCI, or Elite on Princess will get you Black on MSC.

I just went to the MSC site to check on this. It says that the status match is a one-time thing. I think that means that my Elite gets me Black on one cruise, but after that I only get whatever I am due based on sailing on MSC. But even a one-time match is nice, would be useful if MSC had some special itinerary I were interested in...

Stan

I was surprised that they stopped the little prizes at Trivia, and the mints outside of the dining room. C'mon, Celebrity, boost the price by $10 each and put some of the little touches back. And you really ought to stop charging $11.80 for a Stella beer. You could sell more at $7.00 each.

I just went to the MSC site to check on this. It says that the status match is a one-time thing. I think that means that my Elite gets me Black on one cruise, but after that I only get whatever I am due based on sailing on MSC. But even a one-time match is nice, would be useful if MSC had some special itinerary I were interested in...

Stan

Just checked my status again and we are still Black for our next cruise in the Fall of this year.

Stan

I think the one time match means, if you lose the black status through not cruising at least once every 3? years, you can't then claim status match a second time at a later date.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

I was surprised that they stopped the little prizes at Trivia, and the mints outside of the dining room. C'mon, Celebrity, boost the price by $10 each and put some of the little touches back. And you really ought to stop charging $11.80 for a Stella beer. You could sell more at $7.00 each.

They simply do NOT understand this concept.

They would rather rip-off one passenger for $12 than sell to 4 at $7.

Their pricing everywhere reflects this. The price of Specialty Restaurants. The price of lots of their goods in the "shops". Instead they discount the Specialty restaurants (using employee time and effort) and have "sales" in the "shops".

They simply do NOT understand this concept.

They would rather rip-off one passenger for $12 than sell to 4 at $7.

Their pricing everywhere reflects this. The price of Specialty Restaurants. The price of lots of their goods in the "shops". Instead they discount the Specialty restaurants (using employee time and effort) and have "sales" in the "shops".

Very well said. I have been saying the same thing especially about the speciality restaurants using employees to make the sale

Just checked my status again and we are still Black for our next cruise in the Fall of this year.

I think the one time match means, if you lose the black status through not cruising at least once every 3? years, you can't then claim status match a second time at a later date.

Thanks for the clarifications. And thanks asctony for mentioning this in the first place. It makes sense that companies would try to poach from one another but I didn't know anybody had an active program to try and do that.

Stan

[quote name=hcat;53065077

AQ spa cafe is good if hanging out in the Solarium' date=' but it has become intolerably crowded..lines start early for the grilled lunch specials...very few seats as card players use the tables.

![/quote]

Last year on the Eclipse we were in the ASC having lunch. There were no tables available and there was a table with card players. The manager asked them to leave because they weren't eating. One female got up and got a bread stick and laid it on the table and looked around in defiance for someone to challenge her.

The sign should read no reading or playing games during dining hours. That would eliminated the entitled privileged.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I'm surprised that you sail on Celebrity since you seem to hate their business model so much.

Ditto twice

Or maybe just generally unhappy.

:confused: In all fairness, you have also complained about a price gouge in April on one of your posts. we have sailed many many times on Celebrity and we are both" generally very happy people". The problem for many of us whether Elite or Elite Plus is we have constantly seen and feel too many little cutbacks on Celebrity and Huge price increases over the past few years.

luvstosail

Boston Ma