Wonder of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

Hmmm...it appears you've never sailed on one...

Those of us who have...and in many cases more than once...might have a different view based on actual experiences.

Oh no, I have.....well, on Liberty and Freedom, but then again those probably wouldnt have been considered "Mega" ships. In my opinion, they were stretching the boundaries of the experience that I enjoy in terms of just the sheer numbers of passengers on board.

Showing my age here, but my first cruise experience overall was on Song of Norway, and she was tiny compared to today's ships. But she was intimate, and everything a cruise should be, minus the Flowrider, and water slides, and bumper cars, etc.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh no, I have.....well, on Liberty and Freedom, but then again those probably wouldnt have been considered "Mega" ships. In my opinion, they were stretching the boundaries of the experience that I enjoy in terms of just the sheer numbers of passengers on board.

Showing my age here, but my first cruise experience overall was on Song of Norway, and she was tiny compared to today's ships. But she was intimate, and everything a cruise should be, minus the Flowrider, and water slides, and bumper cars, etc.....

You may be surprised to learn we've loved all 3 Oasis class ships so far (and rebooked again on Oasis in 2018)...and yet we're likely in the same "generation". Love those ships, and Symphony and then Oasis 5 will also be on the radar.

The beauty of these ships is that the port stops themselves become almost secondary to the ship itself, since there are so many great/fun things to do onboard (even in port if one wishes to ship disembarking).

Wondering if Oasis 5 will get the "Apex of the Seas" name (recently trademarked)...speculation only of course...

Any ship is great to me, little, big and in between. We've sailed them all and my next booking is planned for 2019 on Symphony. There is plenty for everyone on the mega ships and somehow, they just don't feel crowded to us. I don't mind not seeing the ocean inside the ship or in Central Park, I love that I can walk through lush gardens with real critters in them and come out on the other side with the Ocean showing in Boardwalk.

There are lots of areas where you can connect with the sea, you just have to go find them. The jogging track being one of my favorites:

2cs9y4w.jpgWe loved the "secret balconies" which sadly are now gone...one could be virtually alone up there. They were right outside our cabin door on the end of the ship.

We started out on Rhapsody and Splendour, and we loved them, but are always ready to try any new ship...no matter what size it is. The only class we haven't experienced is Quantum and Anthem is on our bucket list...soon soon....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Based on those steel cutting photos of Harmony and Symphony, it takes about 3 years from the start of construction until delivery.  This would mean Oasis 5 will not launch until Spring 2022 rather than Spring 2021 as planned.  Have they found a way to speed up construction, or has the delivery schedule been pushed back?

Edited by timf2001

9 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Based on those steel cutting photos of Harmony and Symphony, it takes about 3 years from the start of construction until delivery.  This would mean Oasis 5 will not launch until Spring 2022 rather than Spring 2021 as planned.  Have they found a way to speed up construction, or has the delivery schedule been pushed back?

According to the latest financial reports she is scheduled to launch in the spring of 2021.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

40 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

The stars must be aligning.  Dry dock space secured and major components like engines/generators, azipods, laundry equipment, etc. must have ideal availability for an optimum project cycle.  

Maybe it wasn't possible to get the executives together for the steel cutting ceremony until now but I wouldn't assume that means the wheels haven't been in motion since they ordered it in February.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Maybe it wasn't possible to get the executives together for the steel cutting ceremony until now but I wouldn't assume that means the wheels haven't been in motion since they ordered it in February.

The 5th Oasis class ship was ordered a couple years ago.  It was Oasis 6 that was ordered in February

8 hours ago, timf2001 said:

Oddly enough, the Chantiers de l'Atlantique site says 2022...

"Harmony of the Seas, Symphony of the Seas and C34

Oasis class contract signed in December 2012 between Chantiers de l’Atlantique and Royal Caribbean International (RCI – Subsidiary of RCCL), is a contract for 3 ships with outstanding dimensions. The 1st unit, Harmony of the Seas, has been delivered in May 2016. The second one, Symphony of the Seas, is due for delivery in March 2018 and in 2022 for the 3rd one."

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Big Ships & Stock Market dip means lower prices !!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Big Ships Stock Market Dip Wealth Effect Gone , Ships sailing at Cost to sell tickets to get folks onboard to spend at Sea . Good 4 ME !!

Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen:classic_laugh:

On 7/8/2017 at 4:53 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

You may be surprised to learn we've loved all 3 Oasis class ships so far (and rebooked again on Oasis in 2018)...and yet we're likely in the same "generation". Love those ships, and Symphony and then Oasis 5 will also be on the radar.

The beauty of these ships is that the port stops themselves become almost secondary to the ship itself, since there are so many great/fun things to do onboard (even in port if one wishes to ship disembarking).

Wondering if Oasis 5 will get the "Apex of the Seas" name (recently trademarked)...speculation only of course...

They should honor the Cruise Critic community and name it the Speculation of the Seas

• Like 3
  • Haha 1