S-Class Solarium Loungers not Comfy

Hlitner

Just read a different thread which got me thinking about this subject. We love the Solstice Class ships and have sometimes relaxed in the Solarium...on their large loungers. But DW and I find that these loungers, although they look comfy, are not very good for sitting up or reading. We both get lower back aches which seems to have something to do with the angle of the backs. And there is no decent setting for that back angle that works well for reading. But now we are wondering if this is just us....of if others have the same issue.

Hank

Just read a different thread which got me thinking about this subject. We love the Solstice Class ships and have sometimes relaxed in the Solarium...on their large loungers. But DW and I find that these loungers, although they look comfy, are not very good for sitting up or reading. We both get lower back aches which seems to have something to do with the angle of the backs. And there is no decent setting for that back angle that works well for reading. But now we are wondering if this is just us....of if others have the same issue.

Hank

Agree on S class loungers and I spend a lot of time in Solarium. M class ships changed the loungers during last dry dock and they are now more comfortable.

As much as we love the Solarium, we too find the loungers great for, uh, lounging, but terrible for reading. As others have noted, an extra notch or two to allow a more upright posture would do the trick.

So with all this sleeping and reading going on, no wonder whenever I try to use one they are always full. Wonder what people think, how long is a fair time to stay in the chair considering they are limited in number and are shared by many?

Hank

Totally agree.

So with all this sleeping and reading going on, no wonder whenever I try to use one they are always full. Wonder what people think, how long is a fair time to stay in the chair considering they are limited in number and are shared by many?

Sorry but if you stay there, all day.....That's what we do because I am a previous Melanoma patient and avoid the sun, we swim, eat, drink, read and listen to our playlists. One of us is always at the chair.

These loungers are not mobility friendly! First, they are too low if someone has any type of knee or back problems. As previously stated, there is no comfortable setting that allows for an upright reading position. And as others have said, it is the place to avoid the strong rays of the sun and still enjoy the amenities available.

Hal

Are there any chairs or seating that is comfortable to sit on on Celebrity ships?

They are either too deep, too low or too high. The chairs in Cafe al Bacio are terrible. They are hard to move and if you sit at a table you need to be careful when getting up or you will hit your head on the hanging light.

The sofas in the Ensemble are really bad. Too deep and those extra pillows help a little but not much. I know that you can't please everyone but I am 6 ft and my wife is 5' 2, and the chairs don't fit either one of us.

I think they plan it that way so that the people don't hang out in them too long because they are uncomfortable.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Why didn't you say you were coming at 11:30 -12:30 and expect that there would be loungers available for you in the Solarium? Leave a message on my cabin phone so I will know that I am not entitled to have breakfast at the Aqua Spa Cafe at 8 o'clock and then lounge at my leisure for the day. Oh you forgot to tell me you are suite or concierge class and expect that the ship revolves around you. There are plenty of loungers available before 10 and at 3 in the afternoon so maybe you can get your lounging time in then. In the meanwhile we are not taking up space around the pool so you can have those loungers. And we're not using the loungers up on the Solstice deck up top which are actually quite luxurious so you can try them. To be certain you can always use your balcony to sit and read. In the meantime, I've paid my fare just like anyone else. DW somehow finds a way to comfortably read 15 books on her digital reader in 10 days in the Solarium and never complains of being uncomfortable. For some reason I think she is entitled to lie there in the Solarium as long as she desires since she works 80 hours a week and its the only time all year she gets to sit still.

Oh these first world problems...

Well if you are going to complain then start with the people on the heated tile beds who basically ignore the signs that request that use of the beds be limited to 45 minutes at a time?

I actually enjoy every cruise to the max and find very little to get annoyed about. I must be a simple soul. With practice I have found that proper placement of rolled up towels on neck and back I can lounge for hours at a time in the Solarium. To me it is quite comfortable and luxurious.

Edited by NordicPrince

Why didn't you say you were coming at 11:30 -12:30 and expect that there would be loungers available for you in the Solarium? Leave a message on my cabin phone so I will know that I am not entitled to have breakfast at the Aqua Spa Cafe at 8 o'clock and then lounge at my leisure for the day. Oh you forgot to tell me you are suite or concierge class and expect that the ship revolves around you. There are plenty of loungers available before 10 and at 3 in the afternoon so maybe you can get your lounging time in then. In the meanwhile we are not taking up space around the pool so you can have those loungers. And we're not using the loungers up on the Solstice deck up top which are actually quite luxurious so you can try them. To be certain you can always use your balcony to sit and read. In the meantime, I've paid my fare just like anyone else. DW somehow finds a way to comfortably read 15 books on her digital reader in 10 days in the Solarium and never complains of being uncomfortable. For some reason I think she is entitled to lie there in the Solarium as long as she desires since she works 80 hours a week and its the only time all year she gets to sit still.

Well if you are going to complain then start with the people on the heated tile beds who basically ignore the signs that request that use of the beds be limited to 45 minutes at a time?

I actually enjoy every cruise to the max and find very little to get annoyed about. I must be a simple soul. With practice I have found that proper placement of rolled up towels on neck and back I can lounge for hours at a time in the Solarium. To me it is quite comfortable and luxurious.

Really?!

Someone is in serious need of a vacation....I'm just sayin':rolleyes:

Agree Helen, way over the top comments...

Just telling it like it is. Why should I give up my lounger if I get up early so I can enjoy it?

Please, give me a break, I really do enjoy every cruise and lose my patience with people who complain that loungers are just not comfortable and every other other perceived inconveniences. I think there are much more significant problems in the world to worry about don't you?

Just telling it like it is. Why should I give up my lounger if I get up early so I can enjoy it?

Please, give me a break, I really do enjoy every cruise and lose my patience with people who complain that loungers are just not comfortable and every other other perceived inconveniences. I think there are much more significant problems in the world to worry about don't you?

Yet here you are on Cruise Critic posting a diatribe against another member who simply made a perfectly reasonable comment. :rolleyes:

Hank

Hank, my wife and I agree with your assessment. We try a rolled up towel for a while. We do not have that issue on the loungers in the pool area.

Hank

I tend to agree with you. They are fine for relaxing & snoozing, but they do not sit upright enough for decent reading. I tend to sit in the chairs along the lawn on the top deck. Bring along a few towels from the solarium to cushion you butt & your back.

I find its best to lie on your side with knees curled up and prop the kindle on a rolled up towel. I have a bad neck and the notches don't go high enough for support.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have tried that same technique but it leaves me with a stiff neck. In fact DW and I have tried all kinds of positions using multiple towels as a prop. It is a shame that they cannot modify those loungers to have a couple of higher angle back positions. I once posted (many years ago) that cruise line executives and purchase agents should be required to spend a work day (trying to read) in a lounger...before they commit to the purchase. And we agree with another comment that the loungers at the outdoor pool area are fine for reading. But then we have to suffer with blasting PA announcements, loud piped in music, etc. Trying to find a relatively quiet spot (with a comfy lounger) to simply relax and read is nearly impossible.

Hank